Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Should I ask my Dr for sleeping pills?

I used to drink a bottle of wine nightly to help me sleep (I did this for years). I quit drinking a couple of months ago, and now take medical marijuana edibles nightly to sleep. These actually work great. I sleep like a baby and there is no hangover or calories. I have to take a drug test next month, so I need to quit the edibles now. Should I go in and get a prescription from my Dr for sleeping pills? Is there one with less side effects than Ambien? It really sucks that I am being forced to take a pill that I think is much worse for my system than a little bit of marijuana, but I can't sleep without some sort of assistance.

by Anonymousreply 3110/21/2012

Um, OP? If you have a legitimate prescription for medical marijuana, why would it be an issue when you take a drug test?

by Anonymousreply 110/08/2012

I take a generic mild version of Ambien every night.

by Anonymousreply 210/08/2012

I think it's still considered illegal. I'm assuming the OP is in California and the weed situation is a huge grey area right now.

OP, I too have lifelong issues with sleep. I also used to drink to fall asleep and then quit when it became clear I had become an alcoholic. I now take a very small dose of Seroquel (which taken is larger doses is an anti-psychotic, if you can believe it). It works amazing. No hangover. No calories. And apparently, at the low dose I take it at, not addictive at all. You might want to ask your doc about it.

by Anonymousreply 310/08/2012

OP states nowhere that he has a legitimate prescription.

by Anonymousreply 410/08/2012

R1, the company that I will be going to does not care that I have a prescription for marijuana. Many companies will still refuse to hire you if you have marijuana in your system at the time of a drug test. I assume because it is still illegal on a federal level. I guess that I am just afraid to take sleeping pills, because I have heard so many horror stories.

by Anonymousreply 510/08/2012

Take remron so much better than ambien

by Anonymousreply 610/08/2012

OP is avoiding a detox - seven days of sleepless nights.

Switch to one Benadryl per night with no food.

It fucks with your prostate in the morning, so good luck with that first whiz.

by Anonymousreply 710/08/2012

[quote]Switch to one Benadryl per night with no food. It fucks with your prostate in the morning, so good luck with that first whiz.

*Thank you!* I thought I was the only one who had this experience with Benadryl.

by Anonymousreply 810/08/2012

Wow. I knew there were a lot of quack doctors, but you folks seriously need to consider medical advice / treatment which prescribes these things for long term sleep aid. Mental dependence is as bad as physical dependence on these types of drugs.

Multiple years of sleep issues? Go to a sleep center.

by Anonymousreply 910/08/2012

I would try ZZZQuil, Tylenol PM or Advil PM before a prescription sleeping pill.

I cured my insomnia by exercising at the crack of dawn every day. I used to go to the gym after work but that would give me my second wind and I'd never get to sleep. When I work out in the morning, I am dog tired by 9 pm.

by Anonymousreply 1010/08/2012

Benadryl causes prostrate problems?

by Anonymousreply 1110/08/2012

Wine, weed, pills.... hey, sing us a couple verses of the Trolley Song!

by Anonymousreply 1210/08/2012

OP - What is the cause of your sleep problem?

by Anonymousreply 1310/08/2012

Try AA. Or NA.

You're an addict and alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 1410/08/2012

[quote]I guess that I am just afraid to take sleeping pills, because I have heard so many horror stories

It's always potheads, people who chug down a bottle of wine of every night, and fibromyalgic lesbians who are horrified of side effects.

by Anonymousreply 1510/08/2012

Melatonin?

by Anonymousreply 1610/08/2012

I told my doctor I was quitting weed and couldn't sleep and he prescribed me Ambien. I wouldn't hesitate asking your doctor for his recommendation - most will write you a script. You can only use it short-term, otherwise you become dependent. For a long term sleep aid, you can just take three or four benadryl or trazodone.

by Anonymousreply 1810/08/2012

try this OP. It works for me.

You should be able to find it at any drug store, or Whole Foods

by Anonymousreply 1910/08/2012

R1, a company has the right to not hire you if you fail a drug test, prescription or not. He won't go to jail with it in his position but he will lose the job.

OP take the fucking sleeping pills. For christ sakes, a pothead worried about sleeping pills.

by Anonymousreply 2010/08/2012

I had a long bout of insomnia in 2008 (about 8 weeks where I slept 2 or 3 hours a night). I could barely walk it was so bad--have always needed a lot of sleep--8 or 8-1/2 hours. My internist recommended Trazodone. Worked the best of anything I'd ever taken. Still take it from time to time. At a smaller dose (25-75 mg say) it is sedating--larger dose is an antidepressant (not like Prozac though--older drug). At first it can make you feel like a zombie when you wake up (though a cup of strong coffee wakes me up). But you get over that in time. Take it about an hour before you need to fall asleep. It works for a lot of people who don't tolerate sleeping pills well and most doctors will prescribe it because it's said to be non-addicting. It's also very cheap since it's been generic for years.

by Anonymousreply 2110/08/2012

I gained a lot of weight on Trazodone and had awful nightmares. I was on a high dose (100 mg).

by Anonymousreply 2210/08/2012

Sleeping pills (Ambien, xanax etc) will show up in your drug screen too. Some companies don't care if you have a prescription for sleeping pills either. They don't want to hire someone who takes controlled substances

Pot stays in your system up to a month

by Anonymousreply 2310/08/2012

Physical activity will knock you out at night

by Anonymousreply 2410/08/2012

Why not try NOT using drugs and alcohol to do regular daily things like sleeping which should be fairly natural? Sleeping pills are a crutch, unless you have some acute temporary condition. Otherwise you're just another drug-layering pre-Zombie. Get off the crap.

by Anonymousreply 2510/08/2012

Keep your judgmental bullshit to yourself, R25. Unless you have a concrete suggestion that will provide consistent and reasonably quick results (seeing as he will probably be unable to sleep well for at least a few nights after he stops smoking), no one cares about what you have to say.

by Anonymousreply 2610/08/2012

Try talk therapy and see what changes you can do to lead a happier life.

by Anonymousreply 2710/08/2012

I take melatonin.

by Anonymousreply 2810/08/2012

Fuck all these priss pots who are badgering OP for smoking pot.

OP, I also use medical marijuana for several ailments so I know where you're coming from. Have you tried melatonin? It's cheap to buy at the drugstore, so it's worth a shot. If that is a no-go, I would just shoot down a little bit of Nyquil. I think they just came out with Nyquil that doesn't have cold medicine in it, so it's purely there to knock you out. I would definitely try that before any scary prescription meds.

by Anonymousreply 2910/08/2012

Yes. Every visit.

by Anonymousreply 3010/21/2012

r26 will give up his sleeping pill addiction when they pry the scrip out of his cold dead (but asleep!) hands!

by Anonymousreply 3110/21/2012
Need more help? Click Here.