Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you think this shrink sounds high-maintenance?

Click on "Office Policy" and tell me if you think her list of "policies" makes her seem high-maintenance. I'm currently seeing a fellow who is very laid-back, but he's going up on his rates and I won't be able to afford him any longer. Hers aren't much better, but she comes recommended.

However, after viewing her office polices, she sounds like she'd be kind of tedious to deal with.

What say you, Dataloungers?

by Anonymousreply 7810/11/2012

Specifically, I'm concerned about the following:

"Patients who are consistently non-compliant with treatment recommendations, follow-up, and lab draws may be terminated due to the risks associated with non-compliance."

It sounds as if she views her patients as petulant children. I'm an adult, and don't take kindly to this kind of thing. She's a service provider, not a nursery school teacher.

"In an effort to provide a safe environment for everyone in the office, direct or indirect threats will be grounds for immediate termination from the clinic. This includes, but is not limited to: threatening phone calls, yelling or screaming in person or over the phone, vulgar or profane language, intimidation, or threats. Additionally, we will not tolerate deliberate property destruction"

WTF? She's a private psychiatrist, not a social worker in a mental institution. Is this really necessary? Does this mean I'm never to utter a cuss word in her presence? She sounds like a bit of a hot house flower, to be honest.

"It is at the discretion of the doctor whether or not a medication will be refilled without an appointment. Certain scheduled medications require an appointment for each refill to ensure medical necessity."

This sounds like a money grab. She's going to insist that I come in for a $120 session just to get a refill on a medication that I've been taking forever?

by Anonymousreply 110/07/2012

That's pretty standard stuff, OP. She's just putting it all in writing for you. You should definitely see her to work through your issues with authority.

by Anonymousreply 210/07/2012

Kirker? Just GO, and don't be so fucking neurotic about it.

by Anonymousreply 310/07/2012

Fucking do not go to her OP.

I had a very bad experience with a therapist and ow I'm very leery of just going to anyone and spilling my guts

This therapist sounds like a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 410/07/2012

I agree w/2. This provider does not sound high maintenance at all. It reads to me like she is covering all of her bases with her office policy. Especially with regards to privacy, informed consent, and expectations of the patient. If the patient is not going to take the medicines, go for the necessary blood work and do the prescribed treatment in therapy...why waste her time and be there?

by Anonymousreply 510/07/2012

Yes, I will freely admit that I have "issues with authority figures," as an ex of mine once told me.

I regularly see a therapist; the psychiatrist is just to prescribe me pills, which I'm getting sick of taking, since none of them have ever seemed to help, and I feel crazier on them than off.

My current psychiatrist does not have anything like this on his website, nor do I remember signing any paperwork than had any crap like this in it.

by Anonymousreply 610/07/2012

[quote]If the patient is not going to take the medicines, go for the necessary blood work and do the prescribed treatment in therapy...why waste her time and be there?

That's not the point. To me, this process should be collaborative. It sounds like she expects her patients to do what she tells them, and if they express reservations about any of them, then they are "non-compliant" and out the door.

by Anonymousreply 710/07/2012

I stopped reading at "Texas."

by Anonymousreply 810/07/2012

She is just covering her ass. It sounds like a stock standard agreement to me.

by Anonymousreply 910/07/2012

She's dispensing psychiatric drugs. Non-compliance is a serious issue. Ask her to use a different term in your presence if "compliance" twists your panties, but you have to stick with what you are prescribed exactly as prescribed. She knows how long you have to be on what med at what dosage for it to start showing results. When patients start tweaking it on their own, it prevents the doctor from knowing if it's actually working, and it can cause awful side effects for you. The collaborative part is you taking it as directed and providing accurate feedback with the results.

by Anonymousreply 1010/07/2012

What is wrong with her procedures? Doesn't she have the right to be high maintenance, how is her explaining her procedures wrong?! calm down

by Anonymousreply 1110/07/2012

This is a standard agreement. I work for aninsurance company and the language in this document is pretty standard. Actually, she spells it out better than most physicians. This way, you know the rules upfront and if you violate them, she can terminate you from her practice. And don't ignore the financial penalty for missed appointments. I have known where patients hace their credit damaged by being sent to collections for refusal to pay for missed appointments.

by Anonymousreply 1210/07/2012

It's all standard. You sound like a nightmare client. She's probably had many of them, hence the need to get everything upfront in writing.

by Anonymousreply 1310/07/2012

R11, I'm perfectly calm. And she can be as high-maintenance as she wants to be; I'd just rather not deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 1410/07/2012

The reliance on mind altering medication to achieve a personality in America is interesting.

by Anonymousreply 1510/07/2012

It looks standard to me, too.

by Anonymousreply 1610/07/2012

How do I sound like a nightmare client? Because I bristle at words like "profane" (Is she a Mormon?) and "non-compliant," or that I object to being treated like a naughty little boy who she thinks needs a spanking?

No thanks. I'd rather stick with the laid-back fellow I've been seeing, even if he does want to charge $40 for a 5-minute phone call.

by Anonymousreply 1710/07/2012

Die in a grease fire, R15. You, too, R8.

by Anonymousreply 1810/07/2012

OP, YOU sound high maintenance, frankly.

I agree with everyone else that this sounds pretty standard.

by Anonymousreply 1910/07/2012

[quote]How do I sound like a nightmare client?

Well, the fact that in your very next post you write

[quote]Die in a grease fire, [R15]. You, too, [R8].

is a pretty clear indicator to me. No wonder she has these policies written out--you sound nuttier than the Fisher factory.

by Anonymousreply 2010/07/2012

Brandon, is that you?

by Anonymousreply 2110/07/2012

Oh whatever, R20. "Die in a grease fire" is as commonplace a DL expression as "My pussy stinks." 90% of the people posting here would be "nightmare clients" if you want to use that as the standard.

by Anonymousreply 2210/07/2012

OP sounds too far gone for help.

I mean, really, what a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2310/07/2012

She's got good boundaries. Sounds standard and appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 2410/07/2012

OP, these "rules" sound like they were written with crazies like you in mind.

by Anonymousreply 2510/07/2012

Really? She's threatening to terminate her clients before they even walk through the door, and *I'm* the cunt?

by Anonymousreply 2610/07/2012

I'd just feel like I would be walking on eggshells around her...better not let a "damn" or a "shit" pass my lips, or she might terminate me on the spot.

by Anonymousreply 2710/07/2012

She doesn't have a photo on her site, but I'm picturing Lilith Crane in patent leather boots, with black lipstick and a riding crop.

by Anonymousreply 2810/07/2012

[quote]WTF? She's a private psychiatrist, not a social worker in a mental institution. Is this really necessary?

There's no telling who will walk in the door when you offer services as a psychiatrist. If she does not intend to see the type of client who might have problems with this sort of behavior, it seems best to spell it out.

by Anonymousreply 2910/07/2012

Duh, she's telling you NOW so she doesn't have to tell you THEN.

by Anonymousreply 3010/07/2012

So she's Nan Michiganwomyn?

by Anonymousreply 3110/07/2012

Well if she does, you're no worse off than you were before, are you?

by Anonymousreply 3210/07/2012

My therapist loves her, apparently. I'm considering whether or not I should tell him that I went to her website and I think she's a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3310/07/2012

[quote]Well if she does, you're no worse off than you were before, are you?

If she does what? Terminates me?

Yes, I would be worse off. I already have issues with people like this. I need good experiences, not more bad ones.

by Anonymousreply 3410/07/2012

Then I think you take yourself and your therapy too seriously. Therapy probably isn't going to live up to what you want it to be. She's an opportunity for you to get past needing to please (or displease) people you think are cunts. To me, she's just organized.

Just my opinion. Not trying to be a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 3510/07/2012

[quote]I stopped reading at "Texas."

Hell, I stopped reading at the "D.O." behind her name.

by Anonymousreply 3610/07/2012

Interesting...Troll-Dar is suggesting that R22, R26, R27, R28, R31, R33, R34 is the incest twin troll from the 'Do you have a brother?' thread.

by Anonymousreply 3710/07/2012

Well then he definitely has issues.

by Anonymousreply 3810/07/2012

It was a joke, R37. I'm also the OP of this thread, btw.

by Anonymousreply 3910/07/2012

Jeez, now I'm hoping she has plexiglass as well.

by Anonymousreply 4010/07/2012

R37, troll dar reveals OP is all over DL, spewing nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 4110/07/2012

OP sounds high maintenance to hell and back.

He's doesn't want to deal with a psychiatrist who will call him on his bullshit, instead of engaging in endless interpersonal drama. And this psychiatrist doesn't want to deal with anyone like him.

by Anonymousreply 4210/07/2012

Psychiatry is a highly specialized field with a low compliance level...patients don't take medicine as prescribed. Many of the drugs are abused and are Schedule 2 narcotics. I wouldn't treat you either.

by Anonymousreply 4310/07/2012

R41, if it wasn't for me, the only threads you'd see started here would be about Matt Bomer, Mitt Romney, and soaps. I'm just trying to keep this place interesting. So fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 4410/08/2012

OP is our resident '"die in a grease fire" poster, and on that point alone I would be relieved were I this shrink....

by Anonymousreply 4510/08/2012

I'm about as much the "resident 'die in a grease fire' poster" as I am the resident Cheryl poster. You're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 4610/08/2012

OP's anger problems are pretty scary. Thank God that shrink has these policies in place. I think we should write her and let her know he's coming.

by Anonymousreply 4710/08/2012

That tears it!

So you're the Cheryl poster as well.

by Anonymousreply 4810/08/2012

This thread has gone so well for the OP.

by Anonymousreply 4910/08/2012

by Anonymousreply 5010/08/2012

You must feel very proud of yourself, R49.

by Anonymousreply 5110/08/2012

This op craves attention...

by Anonymousreply 5210/08/2012

Speaking of troll-dar, R52...

by Anonymousreply 5310/08/2012

by Anonymousreply 5410/08/2012

She works with MENTAL PATIENTS and has a responsibility to protect them, herself and her staff. Maybe you're not as crazy as some of them but if you're not ok with her conditions, find another doctor.

by Anonymousreply 5510/08/2012

OP HAS to be Brandon

by Anonymousreply 5610/08/2012

OP, her address is "Bee Cave Road" - are you sure you're not frightened by her wombynly powers?

by Anonymousreply 5710/08/2012

I agree, OP is attention whoring, creepy, animal abuser Brandon.

Go away asshole.

by Anonymousreply 5910/08/2012

...why does he want to know what it's like to have a brother...?

by Anonymousreply 6010/08/2012

OP, why are you so convinced your DL 'enemies' are women?

by Anonymousreply 6410/08/2012

As a penised science doctor, people have frequently wroten to me asking,

"I don't want responsible medical practitioners imposing safety rules that protect me and others."

Dear Nutter,

You're in Texas. Shouldn't you be hopping the border to find a pill pusher in Mexico? I hear valium is sold on wax paper like dots down there.

Penised Science Doctor

by Anonymousreply 6610/08/2012

Not only is OP an asshole, he's one of those "paranoids" too.

by Anonymousreply 6710/08/2012

I think she is clearly stating her boundaries and telling you these things now so she won't have to tell you THEN!

by Anonymousreply 6810/09/2012

by Anonymousreply 6910/09/2012

Not surprisingly, it turns out this OP is also the OP who exacted revenge on someone by pooping in their toilet tank.

by Anonymousreply 7010/10/2012

Someone write the shrink and tell her to add "pooping on premesis outside of toilet" to her list of causes for termination.

by Anonymousreply 7110/10/2012

[quote] How do I sound like a nightmare client? Because I bristle at words like "profane" (Is she a Mormon?) and "non-compliant,"

That's exactly how.

by Anonymousreply 7210/10/2012

That doesn't surprise me, R70. OP is fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 7310/10/2012

You sound like a nightmare client, OP, because of your paranoia and inclination to assume the worst.

Why don't you discuss your concerns with the shrink? I bet you will find that she doesn't actually make random, unilateral decisions about her patients' medications and then fire the patients if they don't comply (as you seem to think).

More likely, the doctor consults with the patient and obtains his input and cooperation before prescribing medication, and also welcomes the patient to discuss any problems or concerns that arise after he's begun using the meds. I would guess she "fires" patients only if they refuse to take meds that they clearly need and have agreed to try, or if their refusal to be medicated makes them a danger to others.

Likewise, I doubt the shrink fires patients for using the occasional shit, damn, or fuck during the course of a normal, non-confrontational session. I would bet that the "no profanity" rule applies largely to situations in which a crazed, enraged patient is having a major meltdown.

But again--why not have a conversation with the shrink herself and clarify her intentions regarding the policies that concern you? That would be much more productive than arguing about it on DL.

by Anonymousreply 7410/10/2012

I've never heard of a DO becoming a psychiatrist.

by Anonymousreply 7610/10/2012

Well there are a lot of DO's that are psychiatrists. I personally don't like them. I've worked in a psych hospital forever and have known both MD and DO. MD's are better at diagnosing. MD's really don't do therapy except maybe in New York. DO's often do, but I don't find they're very good at it. Or at diagnosing.

by Anonymousreply 7710/10/2012

no, its just a matter of setting expectations for high-maintenance, high-drama patients. I work in a shrink's office and we have all manner of crazy patients who decide they are expert at medications, fail to turn up for appointments, expect refill scrips to be written when they haven't bothered to come in 6 months and they want a controlled substance. Or come and have a meltdown in the office etc. Its just setting out the expectations in advance as well as enumerating professional responsibilities doctors have when dispensing some of these drugs.

Patients who don't comply get fired from our practice too. your reaction indicates you probably are a problem patient who thinks the rules are for other people.

by Anonymousreply 7810/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!