Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Was Kenny Everett known in the US?

I know a lot of Americans know about Benny Hill, but was Everett's show broadcast in the US?

by Anonymousreply 1410/08/2012

by Anonymousreply 110/07/2012

He was gay, right?

by Anonymousreply 210/07/2012

Yeh, but like many back then he got married. There's a biopic about his marriage and his friendship with Freddie Mercury.

by Anonymousreply 310/07/2012

Yes, The Kenny Everett Video Show was on American t.v. (at least in the Chicago area). I remember the Kate Bush segments ("'allo, you remember me. I used to be Kate Booooosh"), and many more. I loved watching it when I was a teen.

by Anonymousreply 410/07/2012

Kenny was kind of an idiot. But he was considered daring and different like a shock jock comic. It fit in perfectly with the changing times in London. He could be outrageously funny but he had serious emotional problems.

Unfortunately it was Kenny who befriended Freddie and introduced him to his little trio of men - him and 2 others including the guy who probably infected Freddie and the others in the first place. Not saying Freddie couldn't have gotten infected elsewhere but it was probably this group. I don't believe Freddie and Kenny were ever lovers though.

Kenny's public and private behavior became so outrageous including acts of betrayal that his friends began to abandon him including Freddie. I think they did reconcile to some extent as friends before Freddie died.

by Anonymousreply 510/07/2012

Why was it probably that group? Freddie was a rock star for God's sake.

by Anonymousreply 610/07/2012

To answer OP's question, no, he wasn't known here at all. Neither was Kenneth Williams.

by Anonymousreply 710/07/2012

Frankie Howerd?

by Anonymousreply 810/07/2012

R6, read more about it and you may think the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 910/07/2012

I grew up in the UK and remember watching this show. I remember one skit where he was dressed as a woman and kept crossing and uncrossing his legs in this crazy manner and saying "it's all done in the best possible taste."

by Anonymousreply 1010/07/2012

I remember his show being aired in the Philadelphia area in the maybe late 1970s. I think it was a local UHF channel and was in a block with other comedy programs such as Benny Hill.

by Anonymousreply 1110/07/2012

Nobody knows who the fuck Frankie Howerd was, either.

by Anonymousreply 1210/07/2012

r10, that character was called Cupid Stunt. Originally to be named Mary Hinge.

by Anonymousreply 1310/08/2012

Didn't he do a skit along the lines of 'when we had kings ruling Britain, it was a kingdom. Now that Margaret Thatcher's in charge, this is a country'?

by Anonymousreply 1410/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!