Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mr. Rogers defense of PBS in 1969 has renewed meaning following the first debate.

Title: In 1969, Fred Rogers appeared before the United States Senate Subcommittee on Communications. His goal was to support funding for PBS and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, in response to significant proposed cuts by President Nixon

by Anonymousreply 710/08/2012

God I haven't heard his voice in years. I watched his show as a child but like sesame street a little bit more. But holy crap the tone of his voice still feels calming and reassuring to me today. And his discussion about children's need to feel control is so true. I remember how frustrated I felt as a child with the sense that I had NO control over anything in my life. I still support PBS today, but maybe they too need to refocus on the ideas expressed by Rogers. They have strayed a bit from his message today.

by Anonymousreply 110/07/2012

PBS should not be cut. It's one of the only outlets for the real arts that we have left.

by Anonymousreply 210/07/2012

In the age of Honey Boo Boo, of course something like PBS will be seen as disposable.

by Anonymousreply 310/07/2012

Fred Roger's voice has always creeped me out.

by Anonymousreply 410/07/2012

Mama's mussy is moist!

by Anonymousreply 510/07/2012

He had some really cool guests on the show sometimes, and got them to discuss things in a way that was refreshingly different from what one would see on other TV interview programs. Here's a good example of one interview he did that, while intended for an audience of children, many adults would no doubt find quite interesting as well.

by Anonymousreply 610/07/2012

If an adult talked like that about children today they would assume he was a pedofile.

by Anonymousreply 710/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.