Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Music in gay bars

Why is the music in gay bars always the same generic shit? I'm not even talking about Gaga or Katy Perry, but the totally anonymous beats better suited for a circuit party than a neighborhood bar.

I'd love to go out to a gay establishment that was playing whatever was new on the local college-radio station. Or 80s New Wave. Or a night given over to "Rock 'n' Roll Queer Bar." Even classic disco would be better.

Straight bars don't play all the same music all over the country. Why do gay bars do it?

by Anonymousreply 3306/09/2015

Dance and Pop is politically safe.

Some genres of music have strong anti-gay sentiment, like Dance Hall and Country Music.

by Anonymousreply 110/07/2012

Because gay men, by and large, are sheep.

by Anonymousreply 210/07/2012

The fact that there are chains of gay bars is at once an encouraging sign of equality and the last breath of the intrinsic brotherhood they once impressed upon patrons and patrons upon each other. The music is only a symptom.

by Anonymousreply 310/07/2012

Why is it so fucking loud? That's what I want to know. Even in places that don't have a dance floor.

by Anonymousreply 410/07/2012

It's been this way for as long as I can remember.

Gays aren't known for their hip musical taste.

by Anonymousreply 510/07/2012

They don't. That is just your perception. In NYC the music from bar to bar is as different as night and day.

by Anonymousreply 610/07/2012

Personally I love loud pulsing techno and I wish it was played in more establishments.

by Anonymousreply 710/07/2012

Katy Perry... Bwwwaaaa hahahahaha hahaahahhahahahaha hahaahahhahahahaha hahaahahhahahahaha hahaahahhahahahaha hahaahahhahahahaha hahaahahhahahahaha hahaahahhahahahaha hahaahahhahahahaha hahaahahhahahahaha hahaahahhahahahaha hahaahahhahahahaha hahaahahhahahahaha hahaahah ... what a sad eldergay op is.

by Anonymousreply 810/07/2012

I have been saying this since 1977! And "bar music" seems to be The Official Music Of The Gays. I was once at a lovely gay Bed and Breakfast. The pool are was beautiful. A round pool with fantastic tile work and an image of a seahorse expertly painted on the floor of the pool. The area was surrounded by an array of colorful hibiscus and swaying palm and banana tree, The hindrance to the absolute perfect serenity was the thumping thump of a house mix played at maximum volume . I was told that the mix tape was prepared by a local gay bar dj in exchange for a weekend there.

by Anonymousreply 910/07/2012

Huh, r8? Why does the fact gay bars play Katy Perry make me an eldergay? I don't care if you think I'm one; I just don't get the connection.

by Anonymousreply 1010/07/2012

because she is so 2006. How old ARE you?

by Anonymousreply 1110/07/2012

R11 sees no value in older culture and is constantly glued to his iPhone.

by Anonymousreply 1210/07/2012

PLEASE, R11, tell us the secrets of today!

by Anonymousreply 1310/07/2012

I'd love to find a gay bar that just has a jukebox, so the patrons could be in control of the music. I used to go to one that did, and I'd spend more money on music than I did on drinks. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find one in over a decade.

by Anonymousreply 1410/07/2012

get out of mama's basement R13 and you might find them yourself.

by Anonymousreply 1510/07/2012

R8/R11, if you're going to be a cunt, at least get your facts straight.

Katy Perry's first album came out in 2008.

Her second album came out in 2010 and is still getting airplay. There have been eight singles from it, most of which were No. 1 hits.

by Anonymousreply 1610/07/2012

R14 kept putting Doris Day on the jukebox so they had the thing removed.

by Anonymousreply 1710/07/2012

r5, gays used to have great taste in everything, especially music. But now most gays under 25 are essentially teenage girls with teenage girl tastes.

I say fuck it and go to dive bars. Honestly, If I want to play music that suits my taste, I get less judgement or dirty looks at the neighborhood dive bar down the street.

by Anonymousreply 1810/07/2012

The image of the singer is more important than the actual song today. This is why there is so much bad music, not just in gay world but in straight world too (Rap Music).

by Anonymousreply 1910/07/2012

It's fun to go to Akbar & Roosterfish to play the jukebox.. Wide variety of CDs & music...

by Anonymousreply 2010/07/2012

Not quite an eldergay and I totally agree with OP. I travel for work and seems like every gay bar is playing the same teen girl targeted pop confections. Gaga, Perry, Pink and etc. Also agree with R9. Anyone who has been to The Dunes in Michigan knows how badly music can ruin an otherwise perfect afternoon. I did stay at The Russian River Resort and they hired a killer DJ. She was probably all of 22 but balanced classic disco with '80s progressive and current hits. Everyone was happy. For me, watching a room full of 25+ year old men lip synch to Lady Gaga is just cringe worthy.

by Anonymousreply 2110/07/2012

My favorite watering hole has a jukebox and it's fun. But be warned with musicmatch, it's no longer fair.

Using your Iphone, you can play what you want without anyone knowing, and what's worse, well the bump feature. You can play 5 bucks and expect to hear your songs, and if someone wants to hear something different, they can pay extra, and push your songs to the bottom of the queue. Of course, they pay for that feature. Only one who enjoys it is the bar owner who gets a cut.

by Anonymousreply 2210/07/2012

[quote]I'd love to find a gay bar that just has a jukebox, so the patrons could be in control of the music.

I'd hate that. There's nothing worse than a queen with a roll of quarters controlling what everyone else listens to all night.

Maybe YOU want to hear Dolly Parton sing Jolene 37 times in a row, but not everyone else does.

Look, it's simple. Dance clubs play dance music. All DJs spin pretty much the same shit so at least you know what you're in for.

If you want other kinds of music go to other places. Piano bars, pubs, sports bars, dive bars, etc. I go to pne particular hipstery dive bar that plays old school (70s and 80s) punk and New Wave most of the time, which is fine by me.

by Anonymousreply 2311/06/2012

I always play this song when in the gay bars

by Anonymousreply 2411/06/2012

All gay bars are the same bar in my experience.

Don't got to gay bars. Easy.

And before you say....'where am I going to meet someone?" Look around.

People are everywhere. Even gay ones.

by Anonymousreply 2511/06/2012

I can't stand the younger gays they have zero taste in music. They should be forced to some sort of one year gay boot camp like they did in Europe

by Anonymousreply 2611/06/2012

Anyone ever watch that show, "Bar Rescue" where the guy who has a lot of experience turning around failing bar businesses swoops in and whips everybody into shape (a la Tabatha's Salon Takeover)? Anyway, it's pretty good, and the guy is always talking about how important the right music and a good DJ are in getting bar businesses to thrive and grow. The DJ has to work the crowd like a conductor so people are always alternately dancing and then drinking in short cycles throughout the night. Good music/DJ can make or break a bar.

by Anonymousreply 2711/06/2012

[quote]I can't stand the younger gays they have zero taste in music.

I can't stand eldergays who dismiss all popular culture of the past 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 2811/07/2012

r17: I'd love to hear some Doris Day in a gay bar!

by Anonymousreply 2911/07/2012

OP here again, almost a year and a half later...

So I went out to my neighborhood dive-sports bar last night and heard Mumford & Sons, Everly Brothers, Sara Bareilles and some stuff I didn't recognize.

After one beer I went down the road to a new gay neighborhood bar (same vibe - a little dive, not a disco). There were four patrons, two of whom were friends with the owner.

Music videos: Auto-Tuned Beyonce, Auto-Tuned Rhianna, and some hideous fucking parody of "Girl's On Fire" with three drag queens singing "The Boy is a Bottom." It would be fine if I was the only one who was tired of generic gay bar music, but no one at all seemed to be enjoying any of it.

by Anonymousreply 3002/22/2014

I miss the early '80s (that period right after disco faded) when a couple of gay bars here in Houston played music by Queen, The Pretenders, Devo, Kiss, Gary Numan, The Vapors, Blondie, Cheap Trick, David Bowie, The Cars, Pat Benatar, etc.

By 1984, generic house music took over and has been raping our ears ever since.

by Anonymousreply 3106/09/2015

If you want to attract a younger crowd to your club, you have to play contemporary pop and dance music because that's what the twinks want to hear because they want to dance with each other. Young gay guys who prefer rock will go to whatever bar their straight friends go to.

by Anonymousreply 3206/09/2015

And you have to have "bar voice" to cut through the noise if you want to communicate.

by Anonymousreply 3306/09/2015
Need more help? Click Here.