Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

If Romney 'Wins' The Next Debate

Can he actually pull off an election win? Americans have very short attention spans. Will all his gaffes become meaningless at the polls?

by Anonymousreply 1710/08/2012

If.... Romney wins the next debate, then Obama is really saying he doesn't want to be President for the next 4 years. People assume falsely, that Romney has anything to do with this.

by Anonymousreply 110/07/2012

That is an insane supposition r1. It's simply not fathomable.

by Anonymousreply 210/07/2012

It would have been insane a week ago to predict that Obama would have turned in the kind of performance he did in the first debate, but there we are.

by Anonymousreply 310/08/2012

I don't know why so many people were surprised by that. I am a die hard democrat but I've never considered Obama a great debater. He gave very inspiring speeches written by either himself and/or his speech writers, but he was never very good at impromptu speaking even during the 2008 campaign.

by Anonymousreply 410/08/2012

If Romney wins the next debate then.....

Romney will have won the second debate. It doesn't magically transform him into a viable choice for President of the United States.

by Anonymousreply 510/08/2012

Maybe the evil corporations have warned Obama to take dive OR ELSE...

by Anonymousreply 610/08/2012

It would be pretty awful.

Next question?

by Anonymousreply 710/08/2012

How many people do you think make their decision on debates?

Would such people even be watching debates?

by Anonymousreply 810/08/2012

I remember GwB doing lousy on the debates and still winning

by Anonymousreply 910/08/2012

So ... is attitude everything when it comes to debates? The fact that all the forceful points Romney seemed to be making turned out to be total lies doesn't factor into it?

by Anonymousreply 1010/08/2012

It doesn't help that the reporters are pretending not to notice how much of a liar Romney is, instead they're calling OBAMA less than honest. Romney could win if the MSM continues to be as biased as they are against the president.

by Anonymousreply 1110/08/2012

[quote]It doesn't help that the reporters are pretending not to notice how much of a liar Romney is, instead they're calling OBAMA less than honest. Romney could win if the MSM continues to be as biased as they are against the president.

And there you have the state of American thought today.

by Anonymousreply 1210/08/2012

{quote]I remember GwB doing lousy on the debates and still winning

Winning? Hardly. He had to steal it to win it.

by Anonymousreply 1310/08/2012

[quote]I remember GwB doing lousy on the debates and still winning

by Anonymousreply 1410/08/2012

David Axelrod, senior advisor to President Barack Obama’s reelection campaign, appeared on CBS’ Face the Nation where he was grilled over his assertion that Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney won the first debate because he was dishonest. Axelrod faced some skepticism from CBS’ reporters as he defended the Obama campaign’s assessment that Romney was being untruthful during the debate.

Norah O’Donnell asked Axelrod why the president was not making the charge that Romney was being dishonest during the debate, instead sending his surrogates out to level that charge after the debate.

“I’ll be honest with you. I think he was a little taken aback at the brazenness with which Gov. Romney walked away from so many of the positions on which he’s run – walked away from his record,” said Axelrod. “As President Clinton would say, it takes a certain brass to do what Gov. Romney did there.”

Asked if Obama simply did not do his homework before the debate, Axelrod said that Obama did study for the debate, but he was up against a performance artist who rendered moot any firsthand knowledge of the facts. “Homework entails internalizing facts. Gov. Romney was about the business of distorting them,” Axelrod replied.

CBS political director John Dickerson asked if it was fair to say that Romney was being untruthful when it could just as easily be said that Romney was making promises. Axelrod proceeded to lay out several examples of Romney’s policy proposals that were misrepresentations of realistic outcomes rather than, in his opinion, simply omissions of key facts.

“When Sen. Obama in 2008 said ‘I’m going to cut the deficit in half,’ and ‘I’m going to close GITMO,’ a lot of people said that was unrealistic, but they didn’t say he wasn’t telling the truth,” said Dickerson. “There’s a difference, isn’t there?”

“The difference is that closing GITMO was – involved an act of Congress and he wasn’t able to get Congress to agree with him on that question,” said Axelrod. “This is about math.”

“This is a shell game, John,” Axelrod concluded. “It’s a shell game in which whatever shell you pick up, the middle class will lose.”

by Anonymousreply 1510/08/2012

"As President Clinton would say, it takes a certain brass to do what Gov. Romney did there.”

And Romney still pulled it off while Obama let him. Obama should have called him out right and left. The debate was about domestic issues and Mitt lied yet owned the debate while Obama looked distracted and passive.

I'm 100% for Obama, but very disappointed he didn't step up to the plate on such a massive national stage. He should have been calling out Mitt right and left on his lies instead of "not wanting to engage in fighting with him" as his campaign claimed. Fighting is one thing but correcting bald face lies is another and he didn't do that.

by Anonymousreply 1610/08/2012

He will step up, I'm not worried about this.

by Anonymousreply 1710/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.