Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What's the best town to be poor in?

Like thrift stores, free food, shelters, panhandling, public transportation, wooded areas (for sleeping), public toilets?

by Freehreply 910/07/2012

Presumably, a lot of people feel the answer is "San Francisco." I've never seen so many homeless people given free rein in a city. The situation is bad enough that I would avoid living there for that reason alone, despite everything that's wonderful about the place.

by Freehreply 110/07/2012

The homeless in SF make the city all but intolerable, R1.

by Freehreply 210/07/2012

Key West, Florida. Homeless shelters and soup kitchens galore, perfect weather, and an endless supply of leftover alcohol and tourists to rob.

by Freehreply 310/07/2012

A small town that didn't have too much of its economy tied to factory jobs that no longer exist

by Freehreply 410/07/2012

Portland, Oregon:

thrift stores, free food, shelters, panhandling, public transportation, wooded areas (for sleeping), public toilets

Check, check, check, check, check, right by the river, and check. Don't forget "Street Yoga" programs for homeless teens.

by Freehreply 510/07/2012

Portland is great for summer and fall, but not for winter. Wet and cold.

by Freehreply 610/07/2012

Honey, the best place to be homeless is Florida. It's not only warm, but you can eat fruit right off the trees.

by Freehreply 710/07/2012

Hawaii

by Freehreply 810/07/2012

Portland has a new building specifically for the homeless (showers, lockers, transitional housing, etc.) that really is among the nicest new buildings in town.

Santa Barbara seemed to have a large homeless population and I assume they're there not just because of the beach but also good services, wealthy residents, etc.

by Freehreply 910/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.