Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

George Takei endorses Obama

OCTOBER 6, 2012

George Takei has become known as not only the actor who portrayed “Mr. Sulu” on the original Star Trek TV series, but as a humorous and engaging LGBT activist. But in this President Barack Obama endorsement video he recorded for the campaign, Takei wears a different hat — a representative of the Asian American community, as he tells of the “memory seared” into his brain when “soldiers came marching up our driveway” and his family and he — at the age of five — were locked up in World War II internment camps.

“We were in prison, behind barbed wire fences, for four years, for the duration of the war, simply because we happened to look like the people that bombed Pearl Harbor. We were American citizens, yet, because of who we were, what we looked like, we were in prison, without due process.”

Stop right now and imagine a five-year old George Takei, in prison. That was America seventy years ago. It may make you cry, at least a little. It did me.

“But, we have, as an Asian-American community, low voter registration,” Takei states. “We’ve got to be actively involved in the electoral process. And if you really appreciate the price that has been paid, for that right, you should be in there participating, protecting our interests, and, in so doing, making our democracy a truer democracy.”

“We have a unique opportunity to support a president who is a part of us. He grew up in Hawaii, the ‘Aloha’ spirit, his sister’s half-Asian. he understands, and loves, the Asian-American community.”

by Anonymousreply 610/07/2012

GEE, BIG SURPRISE...

by Anonymousreply 110/07/2012

That's all well and good but where was he during Stonewall or the early days of the AIDS crisis or when Reagan wouldn't even say the word?

Was he afraid he's be thrown into a gay internment camp if he'd come out back then?

by Anonymousreply 210/07/2012

Oh, my!

by Anonymousreply 310/07/2012

R2, he was figuring it out as he did - the same as we all do. I don't expect a D List actor whose prime role was pushing buttons on a spaceship to be required to take a leadership role in "the movement."

by Anonymousreply 410/07/2012

I wouldn't call him a D List actor - he's internationally famous because of Star Trek.

by Anonymousreply 510/07/2012

Oh, he's D-List all right, R5...

Other than "Star Trek", his career is pretty much a non-event.

by Anonymousreply 610/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.