Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

French Fry Oil instead of $$ Gas

Has anyone ever successfully used discarded oil from fast food restaurants, as a substitute for gas? Remember news story on a guy from SF.

by Curiousreply 1210/10/2012

You need a Diesel engine and some extra equipment such as something to heat it when the engine is cold.

by Curiousreply 110/07/2012

R1, Thanks for your info. Would it be worth it to convert to diesel if the price of gas keeps climbing?

by Curiousreply 210/07/2012

My cousin has been doing this for over 2 years. He had to research it a lot, pay $$$ for the materials to clean the oil which he did get for free from restaurants that were eager to unload it. He cleans the oil himself and it's saving a shitload of money for him since he does a lot of driving. A lot of people are doing this.

Another thing to note is the surplus glycerin produced which can be made into soap.

by Curiousreply 310/07/2012

They say it makes your car smell like french fries (seriously).

But a lot of people have converted their cars to biodiesel - it's not so uncommon anymore. Just research it. If you're using restaurant oil it can probably be cheap, but regular biodiesel fuel is not always cheaper than regular gas.

by Curiousreply 410/07/2012

Guy at my gym does this. It always stinks like chicken and fries around his car.

by Curiousreply 510/07/2012

does the smell make him hungry, r5?

by Curiousreply 610/09/2012

My next car will be an electric hybrid model rather than a deep fat fryer.

They have to keep making electricity domestically 24/7; oil and gas -- eh, you take your chances there's not going to be some big supply disruption resulting in gasoline and diesel riots at the pumps.

Fuck the oil companies.

Buy electric utility stock TODAY and sit on it. Think of AAPL in 2000 ….

by Curiousreply 710/09/2012

You want the coal industry to take your money instead, R7?

by Curiousreply 810/09/2012

An ex of mine was in a band that toured in a french fry oil van. I don't know how long that lasted because it really was a lot of work and they were all very drunk and lazy.

by Curiousreply 910/09/2012

Cunt at R8 -- I'm on BC Hydro. Get stuffed, 'K?

by Curiousreply 1010/09/2012

It's a good thing you included that information in R7. But thanks for being a jackass for absolutely no reason, you must have lots of friends.

by Curiousreply 1110/10/2012

A friend of a friend does this. Somehow the government found out and he still had to pay fuel tax on the discarded oil he recycled.

by Curiousreply 1210/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.