Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Good news from Dr. Richard Carmona! Bill Clinton is coming to AZ!

October 6th, 2012

(CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton will lend his star power to the Senate race in Arizona when he campaigns for Democratic former U.S. Surgeon General Richard Carmona at a rally Wednesday night.

Clinton's appearance at the rally at Arizona State University could be another sign that the Democrats think they could take the Senate seat in the final month of the election.

A number of partisan polls - both Republican and Democrat - in the last month show a tight race between Carmona and six-term Congressman Jeff Flake.

Recently, the Cook Political Report moved the race from “leans Republican” to a toss-up race, while the Rothenberg Political Report maintained the races as “toss-up/tilt Republican.”

And last week, the Democratic National Senatorial Committee announced a $526,000 weeklong ad buy in Arizona, the Washington Post reported.

Not to be outmatched, Club for Growth, a leading fiscal conservative group, pumped $500,000 into ads in Arizona last week.

The Club for Growth ad asked Arizona voters, “Do you know that a vote for Carmona is a vote to put liberals in charge of the U.S. Senate?"

With one-third of the Senate’s seats up for election in 2012 – and about a third of those are hotly contested - each seat won by either party could tip the balance of power.

The DSCC countered with a buy that brought their two-week total to over $1 million.

Clinton, who ended his two-term presidency with a 66% approval rating, according to a Gallup poll, has been a valuable asset to Democratic campaigns – both Congressional and presidential.

Following a well-received speech at the Democratic National Convention last month, Clinton’s appearance for Carmona this week could also help the Obama campaign in the Grand Canyon State.

That’s because the state that five-term Arizona Sen. John McCain carried by more than 8 points during his 2008 presidential bid is also in play for Democrats in the presidential election.

Arizona’s 11 Electoral College votes are labeled "leaning Romney" on the CNN Electoral Map. Key members of the Obama campaign, including Vice President Joe Biden, have indicated they think Arizona is up for grabs.

"We think we have a real shot at winning the presidential race here in Arizona," Biden said at a campaign event in Arizona in April.

Obama senior adviser David Axelrod signaled the campaign was looking to sway leaning states during an appearance on CNN's “State of the Union” last Sunday.

"We are always looking, always looking for opportunities, and, you know, we’re heartened by what we see, not just in these battleground states, but some of the states that weren’t battleground states,” Axelrod said when asked about campaign activity in Arizona.

Arizona has only voted for one Democratic presidential candidate in 60 years.

Before heading to Arizona, Clinton will join President Barack Obama Sunday in Los Angeles at a private fundraiser and then campaign alone for the president in Las Vegas on Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 2010/07/2012

Oh, goody. Glad Bill is going to Arizona, where Obama/Biden won't win. I am hoping that the Dem Candidate for Senate gets in in AZ. But honestly, I wish Vill Clinton would get down to FLA & VA and camp out there for a few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 110/06/2012

R1, of course it's unlikely that Obama will win AZ this year.

It's not important to try to win AZ, but it IS important to try and win the Senate seat.

And Bill Clinton is popular in AZ. He won the state in 1996. The only Democrat to do so in 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 210/06/2012

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes I'm having AIDS sex can't you tell!

by Anonymousreply 310/06/2012

He needs to get his ass to Missouri, and to North Carolina too.

by Anonymousreply 410/06/2012

Bill Clinton was in New Hampshire for Obama this week.

by Anonymousreply 510/06/2012

New Hampshire has what, 4 electoral votes? When is Bill going back to FLA? When is he going back to VA? He needs to live in those two states and dip into North Carolina in his spare time.

I want us to gain seats in the Senate so we don't have to worry about the damned super majority rule obstructions. I want us to close the gap in the House if we can, and even win the House if we can. I'm glad Bill is out here.

But will they please send him to states where he can do the most good? And will they please get Michelle out here too? If we see an unusual amont of coverage, and imbalanced amount of coverage favoring the Romney Ryan ticket in the closing days, as if CNN and the rest are conferring winners' status on them, it will affect the turnout and the outcome.

We need to watch the media and raise hell every single chance we get to insist they cover this race fairly.

by Anonymousreply 610/06/2012

R6, the Obama campaign knows what it's doing.

Clinton will be at a fundraiser with Obama in California tomorrow.

He's going to as many places as he can.

He was in Florida last month at an Orlando rally, where he also endorsed Sen. Bill Nelson.

by Anonymousreply 710/06/2012

They're running o0ut of time. Putting new ads out there now, unless they are running them frequently enough, will not help. All they can hope to do is use advertising to keep reminding voters of what they told them two months ago.

by Anonymousreply 810/06/2012

I really want to see them put pressure on Missouri and North Carolina. And of course, Missouri, Ohio, Colorado, and Nevada.

by Anonymousreply 910/06/2012

Bill Clinton is not universally more popular than Obama. In Florida, yes, but not in Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 1010/06/2012

What do you mean, R10?

Gallup gives Clinton a 66% approval rating this year. That means he is popular almost everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 1110/06/2012

Clinton for Carmona poster!

by Anonymousreply 1210/06/2012

Those crazy fuckers will kill him. A Democrat should never go to Arizona or Texas. Never.

by Anonymousreply 1310/06/2012

But Bill won the state in 1996, R13.

So he can't be that disliked.

by Anonymousreply 1410/06/2012

R13, you remember that Texas was blue before Dubbya became Governor, right? Remember Ann Richards? Texas went for Clinton as well!

by Anonymousreply 1510/06/2012

Clinton's going to be in my neck of the woods (Davis, CA) for a rally for four congressional candidates (two incumbent, two challengers). Lots of media time being bought. The challengers aren't in my district, so I'm not too sure how they are doing.

The local freepers are already posting like idiots on the Sacbee article.

by Anonymousreply 1610/06/2012

No, Bill Clinton missed out on Texas by a few points, but he did come closer than any other Democrat.

But getting back to Arizona, Bill Clinton won AZ in 1996.

He also won Kentucky, West Virginia, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee & also won Georgia and Montana.

by Anonymousreply 1710/06/2012

Arizona Police Association endorses Rich Carmona:

by Anonymousreply 1810/07/2012

Is his opponent Jeff Flake the gay Arizona Republican?

by Anonymousreply 1910/07/2012

No, R20.

That was Sheriff Babeau.

Flake is a Mormon, has 5 kids, and is married to a woman named Cheryl. . .

by Anonymousreply 2010/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!