Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are there any good frozen pizzas?

So far the best I've tried was the DiGiorno self rising crust kind. What do you eat? Most of them taste like cardboard to me.

by Lazy Cookreply 4210/07/2012

Home Run Inn is worth trying. There is no other frozen pizza quite like it. That's not necessarily a rave review, just a fact that it's very unique. I like it, but only once every few months.

by Lazy Cookreply 110/06/2012

r1, I wonder if that is a local product because I have never heard of that brand.

by Lazy Cookreply 210/06/2012

R2, I live in Minneapolis and it's in all the stores here. There's a place on the website where you can put a zip code in and it shows the closest stores that carry it. It probably is only distributed to certain regions.

by Lazy Cookreply 310/06/2012

California Pizza Kitchen

by Lazy Cookreply 410/06/2012

Tombstone is the usual winner, I've been told.

by Lazy Cookreply 510/06/2012

By the very nature of dough, a frozen pizza will always be awful. What you are looking for is the least awful, but it will still be awful.

I would go with the French Bread Pizzas. Stouffers makes one, there are mini ones called Bagel bites, etc. The difference is that it's on bread instead of frozen pizza dough, but that makes all the difference.

by Lazy Cookreply 610/06/2012

Freschetta used to put out a pretty good one, especially the one with rising crust, but I haven't had it in quite a while now partly due to acid reflux and partly due to a stricter budget and higher frozen pizza prices. I also agree with r5 that Tombstone also was fairly good as in "mildly enjoyably" patatable.

by Lazy Cookreply 710/06/2012

Freshcetta (however you spell it) has a signature pepperoni pizza that is completely addictive, but it has to be the worst thing for you. It sure is good, though.

by Lazy Cookreply 910/06/2012

Freschetta and California Pizza Kitchen.

by Lazy Cookreply 1010/06/2012

weep weep

by Lazy Cookreply 1110/06/2012

Any other DiGiorno Spicy Chick Supreme fans here?

by Lazy Cookreply 1210/06/2012

Staffer French Bread Pizza is "zee best!"

by Lazy Cookreply 1310/06/2012

I like Paul Newman's Own Supreme Pizza. Pretty darn good stuff and I consider myself a picky pizza eater.

by Lazy Cookreply 1510/06/2012

Thanks r1, I did a search and a market by me supposedly sells it so I will have to try it.

by Lazy Cookreply 1610/07/2012

The California Pizza Kitchen thin crust frozen pizzas are like crack.

by Lazy Cookreply 1710/07/2012

They all make my pussy stink.

by Lazy Cookreply 1810/07/2012

California Pizza Kitchen is horrible, it tastes like a thin piece of card board. If your find California Pizza Kitchen tasty, it sounds as if you've never had real freshly made pizza!

DiGiorno and Sabatasso's are flavorful for frozen pizza. Sabatasso's makes small individual deep dish pies. I usually get them at Costco, but they haven't had them for months. Costco seems to be doing this a lot lately, they stop carrying items which are selling well.

Costco's own Kirkland pizza isn't very good, it's almost as bad as California Pizza Kitchen.

by Lazy Cookreply 1910/07/2012

I used to love Freschetta's sauce stuffed cheese pizza but can never find the sauce stuffed ones anymore. Cheese stuffed crust is just vile.

by Lazy Cookreply 2010/07/2012

The trick is to choose a thin crust pizza otherwise they're all fairly heavy. Then choose the toppings you like.

I like Amy's Spinach and Cheese pizza.

by Lazy Cookreply 2110/07/2012

If this thread turns into a critique on the frozen salisbury steak, I'm outta here.

by Lazy Cookreply 2210/07/2012

I used to love Stouffers French bread pizza. Not gourmet. Not quite good. But, oh so tasty.

by Lazy Cookreply 2310/07/2012

[quote]The California Pizza Kitchen thin crust frozen pizzas are like crack.

Their thin crust is too thin. It always bakes up like a crispy cracker.

by Lazy Cookreply 2410/07/2012

I don't like "designer pizzas" especially frozen ones like California Pizza. If I'm lazy and don't want to cook, Freschetta is the only one I'll buy. But if you have a local Papa Murphy's...Mmmmmmm, that is THE best!

by Lazy Cookreply 2510/07/2012

Freschetta Rising Crust Pepperoni Pizza.

I also like Trader Joe's spinach Pizza and Paul Newman's thin crust White pizza.

by Lazy Cookreply 2610/07/2012

I used to eat Stouffer's Lean Cuisine pizza and it was good. Now it tastes like a vat of chemicals.

Lean Cuisine seems to have gone full Asian and Mexican lately. Maybe it's just my local stores' choice, but I never buy them anymore. There's nothing worse than fake Asian food

by Lazy Cookreply 2710/07/2012

I can't eat gluten. So my favorite is Against the Grain. I like it better than the regular pizzas I used to eat.

by Lazy Cookreply 2810/07/2012

California Pizza Kitchen is the only one I can think of.

by Lazy Cookreply 2910/07/2012

Trader Joe's has good frozen pizzas

by Lazy Cookreply 3010/07/2012

Dr. Oetker

by Lazy Cookreply 3110/07/2012

Whole Foods carries a brand called American Flatbread that's pretty good:

by Lazy Cookreply 3210/07/2012

Can you buy California Pizza outside of California?

by Lazy Cookreply 3310/07/2012

R33, assuming you are talking about California Pizza Kitchen, yes, it is distributed across the country. It's also a (small) chain of restaurants.

I like Home Run Pizza, even though it always gives me heartburn. The crust is really buttery (in a good way) and the sauce is surprisingly tasty. It's still a frozen pizza, but it's a damn good one.

I also enjoy Target's store brand. They make these hand-tossed crust pizzas that are excellent. The mushroom one and the feta cheese one are my favorites. They're also not anywhere near as greasy as most pizzas.

by Lazy Cookreply 3410/07/2012

Thanks for the tip about Target's pizza. I don't eat frozen pizza very often, but I like to have one around in the freezer for a craving when I'm tired or lazy. I've had Archer Farm's (their store brand) coffee and some crackers that were surprisingly good.

by Lazy Cookreply 3510/07/2012

[quote]Can you buy California Pizza outside of California?

Yes, they have them here (Kansas City) grocery stores. We have a California Pizza restaurant on the Plaza. Not really a fan of the place. But it's popular. I miss Houlihan's, a local restaurant that California Pizza replaced.

by Lazy Cookreply 3610/07/2012

I don't like California Pizza. I like Chicago Pizza better.

by Lazy Cookreply 3710/07/2012

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but, the Poppin' Fresh pizza dough isn't half bad. We just tried the whole wheat crust and it was quite tasty.

It's better - and more fun - than frozen, and it's not difficult to put a pie together at all. I use a jarred organic sauce, mozzarella, and what ever veggies and meats I have on hand. A few snips of fresh herbs makes it taste like you slaved away at it.

by Lazy Cookreply 3810/07/2012

My two favorites: Trader Joe's Mushroom & Black Truffle Flatbread, and HEB brand thin pastry style crust Chicken Club Pizza. The crust on the latter bakes up like phyllo dough. It's so amazing and since it's a store brand I'm sure just about anyone can get something similar.

by Lazy Cookreply 3910/07/2012

I never understood the concept of a frozen pizza. Why not just order a regular one?

In any event, the few times that I bought one I always doctored it up with a drizzle of olive oil and some pecorino romano.

by Lazy Cookreply 4010/07/2012

Doctoring it up is my favorite part of eating a frozen pizza.

by Lazy Cookreply 4110/07/2012

Tried pepperoni Bagel Bites tonight. They were pretty good and less fattening than a regular pizza.

by Lazy Cookreply 4210/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.