Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

For science geeks

Voyager has probably exited our solar system. I wanna see aliens.

by Anonymousreply 4010/14/2012

You couldn't find a link that wasn't a freeper vermin infestation? Bunch of fucking bigots who can't even comment on this without shitting on Obama and Muslims.

by Anonymousreply 110/06/2012

Sorry, I didn't notice the comments. My home town paper.

by Anonymousreply 210/06/2012

How is it able to keep on sending data back? What kind of antenna does it have?

by Anonymousreply 310/06/2012

a fantastic one!

by Anonymousreply 410/07/2012

[quote]How is it able to keep on sending data back? What kind of antenna does it have?

There are three radio telescope arrays, one in California, one in Spain, and one in Australia, that handle communications for any probe in deep space.

by Anonymousreply 510/07/2012

Oh, Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars.

by Anonymousreply 610/07/2012

This won't go well...

by Anonymousreply 710/07/2012

Coincidence? I think not.

by Anonymousreply 810/07/2012

What do you need Voyager for to see aliens?

Just come to Arizona.

by Anonymousreply 910/07/2012

Voyager has cameras on it, but NASA turned them off.

by Anonymousreply 1010/07/2012

When does it start going by its drag name "V'Ger"?

by Anonymousreply 1110/07/2012

And of course the right-wing bigots are turning the comments section over there into an anti-muslim hate fest.

by Anonymousreply 1210/07/2012

[quote]What kind of antenna does it have?

I bet Steve Jobs invented it!

by Anonymousreply 1310/07/2012

[quote]Voyager has cameras on it, but NASA turned them off

If that's true why would they turn them off?

by Anonymousreply 1410/07/2012

They exhaust the battery, R14. Voyager only has enough to operate less power-hungry instruments. As it is, even with these precautions, the battery should give out soon - only the inertia will propel the now insensate, dead hunk forward.

by Anonymousreply 1510/07/2012

Any pictures of Heaven yet?

by Anonymousreply 1610/07/2012

Where's Waldo?

by Anonymousreply 1710/07/2012

I love the fact that it far surpassed its usefulness and became the first, but hopefully not the last, man-made object to leave the solar system. Even those at NASA who were responsible for the design and launch were surprised that it was still going.

by Anonymousreply 1810/07/2012

[quote]I love the fact that it far surpassed its usefulness and became the first, but hopefully not the last, man-made object to leave the solar system. Even those at NASA who were responsible for the design and launch were surprised that it was still going.

The New Horizons probe is supposed to be out towards Pluto and the Kuiper Belt in a few years. It'll be heading out beyond the solar system eventually too.

Of course, since Voyager was built by NASA and not a subcontractor, who knows if New Horizons will have the stamina of the Voyager probes.

by Anonymousreply 1910/11/2012

I just hate it when my deep space probe loses stamina.

by Anonymousreply 2010/11/2012

We will never meet or have any contact with space aliens and all of this is outmoded thought. The distances are too great. The human race is alone in the universe and will be gone in a galactic nano second. No one will ever know us or what we have done. Our history will end as it began in silence and oblivion.

by Anonymousreply 2110/11/2012

R21= The world's worst party planner.

by Anonymousreply 2210/11/2012

R21 is correct when he says we'll never encounter aliens (the distances ARE too great and the odds too long) but I doubt that we are alone in the universe.

by Anonymousreply 2310/11/2012

[quote]we'll never encounter aliens

Unless they contact us first.

by Anonymousreply 2410/11/2012

"I should reach the frontier in about six weeks. With a little luck, the network will pick me up. This is Ripley, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off."

by Anonymousreply 2510/12/2012

In parts of the galaxy where solar systems contain more than one inhabited planet those different races eventually meet. That must be weird.

by Anonymousreply 2610/12/2012

IRA FLATOW: Do the cameras - do Voyager's cameras still work?

ED STONE (NASA's chief scientist on the Voyager mission): No. We turned those off after we took the portrait of the solar system. Voyager 1 took that image back on Valentine's Day in 1990. And then we shut down all the cameras and other instruments which are there to look at planets, because we knew there would be no more planetary encounters. And we needed the space in these little tiny computers, which have only 8,000 words of memory, to better use the memory for the mission to interstellar space.

by Anonymousreply 2710/12/2012

Probably a silly question, but why not install solar panels for additional power? It's gotta be flying by other bright stars out there in the cosmos.

by Anonymousreply 2810/12/2012

"...only the inertia will propel the now insensate, dead hunk forward..."

That's no way to speak of my wedding night!

by Anonymousreply 2910/12/2012

R28 Voyager was launched from earth before solar panels were a viable option

by Anonymousreply 3010/12/2012

I heard the voyager was picked up by some space junk collectors and given to one of their off springs to keep them quiet.

by Anonymousreply 3110/12/2012

[quote]Probably a silly question, but why not install solar panels for additional power? It's gotta be flying by other bright stars out there in the cosmos.

That deep in space, you'd have a hard time telling the sun from any other bright star. Here's a picture that shows the sun's relative appearance from all of the planets.

The next brightest star is Alpha Centauri, and at subluminal velocities, it would take about 50000 years to get there.

"V-O-Y-A-G-E-R...Voyager 6!?!?!"

by Anonymousreply 3210/12/2012

It's sad to think that we are alone like we are. Maybe it means we should focus on solve problems here on earth. The latest Mars expedition is a good example. There is NOTHING there, it's just a huge, lifeless Mojave Desert. There is no point in going there and the public has lost interest very fast since there are no Martians or ruins of ancient cities or Martian-made canals.

by Anonymousreply 3310/12/2012

Bon voyajee

by Anonymousreply 3410/12/2012

Bell flight 14 you now can land

See you on Aldebaran

Safe on the green desert sand

It's so very lonely

You're 2000 light years from home

by Anonymousreply 3510/12/2012

I LOVE shit like that, VotN at R32. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 3610/12/2012

"the public has lost interest very fast since there are no Martians or ruins of ancient cities or Martian-made canals"

I don't think that's the case. We still don't know definitely whether there was every life on Mars. The public reaction to the recently-landed rover was notable, so I don't think the fervor has died out.

by Anonymousreply 3710/12/2012

[quote]I LOVE shit like that, VotN at [R32]. Thank you!

There's a reason why the zone of habitability (from about 75% to 125% the Earth's distance from the sun) is called the Goldilocks Zone.

They've considered putting small nuclear reactors on probes to extend their useful range beyond what batteries and solar panels can do, but to my knowledge, it's never been done, mostly because the idea of having an accident during lift-off would be catastrophic. The Soviet Space Agency and NASA both built prototypes, but I don't think they ever actually flew.

Same reason we don't bury nuclear waste in space, even though that's arguably a better place for it than here on Earth.

by Anonymousreply 3910/14/2012

Not necessarily r26, intelligent life would evolve on the different planets at different rates. If two planets in the same solar system evolved intelligent life, I think the odds are against them existing and having technology at the same time. Humans haven't been around long and our technology is a danger to our long-term survival. More likely would be that an intelligent life form would find the remnants of a civilization on a neighboring planet.

by Anonymousreply 4010/14/2012
Need more help? Click Here.