Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Places you have zero desire to visit

Las Vegas, Tibet, Bangladesh

by Anonymousreply 4510/07/2012

Los Angeles

by Anonymousreply 110/06/2012

Pretty much any Arab or Persian nation as they are extremely hostile to gays. I wouldn't feel remotely safe. Too bad - I'm sure there are a lot of fascinating things to see.

Rio de Janiero - I got robbed in Buenos Aries so there's no need to tempt fate again.

Outside of Morocco and South Africa, I don't know that any other African countries are remotely safe.

by Anonymousreply 210/06/2012

I was always afraid of flying, but after 9/11 I don't know of a single place worth getting on a plane for. Yes, I'd like to see the Eiffel Tower and The Louvre and the fountains of Rome. Bask on a beach in Bali. But the thought of all that icy water waiting thousands of miles below the falling plane *shudders*

by Anonymousreply 310/06/2012

I'm sure the 150 million Bangladeshis are just heartbroken that you won't visit them.

by Anonymousreply 410/06/2012

have a brother that lives there so I could stay for free yet no desire to ever go there.

Yes I know, it's weird, but it is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 510/06/2012

Anywhere in the Middle East. No on Japan or China as well.

by Anonymousreply 610/06/2012

Any of my wives' vaginas.

by Anonymousreply 710/06/2012

Those 150 million are the exact reason R4. Plus it just seems like shit hole plagued with constant disasters.

by Anonymousreply 810/06/2012

Salt Lake City - in the middle of absolutely nowhere. I've been to most major cities in the US, but this would require a specific intention as it's not by anything.

Alaska - I really don't care. I'm not fascinated with nature.

Any desperately poor nation - it doesn't seem like it would be comfortable and I would be way too self-conscious of my privilege.

by Anonymousreply 910/06/2012

Yeah, be careful in Rio, a pal was robbed at gun point.

anywhere with 100 % humidity!

by Anonymousreply 1010/06/2012

Aren't they Bengalis????

by Anonymousreply 1110/06/2012

by Anonymousreply 1210/06/2012

But, that's probably no big surprise. The question is more interesting when talking about places that are truly popular destinations.

In that context, I'd say Hawaii. It's simply never held any allure for me. I always figure If I'm going to spend that much on a plane ticket and lodging and fly that far, I'd rather go somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 1410/06/2012

Any Red State...

by Anonymousreply 1510/06/2012

San Jose,California

by Anonymousreply 1610/06/2012

The UK or Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 1710/06/2012

Most of the Middle East, all of Asia, and Las Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 1810/06/2012

Italy, Greece, the Balkans. Love Turkey, Spain and France, though.

by Anonymousreply 1910/06/2012

any idyllic south pacific island. it is my idea of hell to do nothing but melt in the sun on a beach for a week.

by Anonymousreply 2010/06/2012

I have heard that Mexico was once a fairly interesting and safe place to visit but I would sooner fly to Mars on a broomstick than ever go anywhere down there and I live in San Diego. That said, I would say that most anyplace has its points of interest, but I tend to agree that Bangladesh would be about at the bottom of the list as well as any Moslem country more because of their being unsafe for homosexual men, especially those from the West who are white (American gay men would be most vulnerable I would think). And I'm sure most American white women (and quite possibly non-white, non Islamic women too) would agree. I have heard the Philippines has some interesting natural features and the Bamboo Organ, but alot of it is an overbred, poverty stricken mess, at least in Manila. Someone said South Africa had less crime than much of the rest of Africa but I have heard just the opposite; nearly 1 million whites have left there since the end of apartheid and few have returned and rightly so. Colombia and Venezuela seem like very uninviting places full of stupid people but obviously I know very little about those countries and don't have much desire to do so. I think it's stupid that Americans can't visit Cuba as I think right now it would be very interesting to visit. When Castro and his government go it will probably become just as dull and insipid as any other place that gives in to Pepsi, Coke, McDonald's and K-Mart. I think there are wide swaths of the US not worth seeing, Detroit is a mess right now, visited there once years ago to see Greenfield Village and have no desire to go back. Erie, Pennsylvania and Youngstown, Ohio is as fucked up and ugly as any small cities could be. East St. Louis, Illinois and Newark, New Jersey are sometimes compared to third world cities.

by Anonymousreply 2110/06/2012

The Deep South

Mexican part of US/Mexican borders.

North Korea

South Korea

Many parts of Africa

by Anonymousreply 2210/06/2012

by Anonymousreply 2310/06/2012

I can't even stand to read R21's post, anyone have the Cliffnotes?

Me- no desire for the flyover states, the middle east, and Russia (or USSR, whatever the hell it is).

by Anonymousreply 2410/06/2012

East St. Louis, seriously?

Hardly anyone wants to visit ESL. The thread doesn't work if you must name places that nobody would ever want to visit.

by Anonymousreply 2510/07/2012

Anyone that has never been to Hawaii and has no desire to go, has a screw loose.

by Anonymousreply 2610/07/2012

Most of the Midwestern States

The Caribbean (excepting Cuba)

Much of Africa

Russia excepting St Petersburg

The Koreas

by Anonymousreply 2710/07/2012

Anywhere in ASIA.

by Anonymousreply 2810/07/2012

Dubai, and any place where women are required to be covered up. I don't want my tourist money going towards supporting men who are paranoid jerks.

by Anonymousreply 2910/07/2012

Anywhere in the Middle East.

Anywhere in Eastern Europe except maybe Budapest and Prague.

Anywhere in any of the red states, except New Orleans and certain parts of Florida.

by Anonymousreply 3010/07/2012

[quote]Yeah, be careful in Rio, a pal was robbed at gun point.

I knew two guys who were shot in Rio, but survived, because they started after the guy who robbed them at gun point. Those robbers in Rio work together with one behind in case the victim(s) attempt to follow. Two days later, I was jumped in broad daylight at Copacobana Beach. Guys trying to steal my camera. I went into a rage and beat the living daylights out of them.

by Anonymousreply 3110/07/2012

[quote]Aren't they Bengalis????

Most are but not all.

Bengali is an ethnic group not a nation.

The Bengal people are divided between India and Bangladesh. Most people from Bangladesh are Bengali but not all.

Thus the nationality is Bangladeshi while the largest ethnic group there are the Bengali.

by Anonymousreply 3210/07/2012

Florida. Have turned down invitations from friends and family over the years; will get worse in c. 20 years when brother probably retires there. Am afraid of alligators and crocs. Oh, and heat.

by Anonymousreply 3310/07/2012

[quote]Am afraid of alligators and crocs.

Crocodiles aren't native to Florida. But you'll see plenty of people wearing crocs.

by Anonymousreply 3410/07/2012

The Middle East and the African Continent.

by Anonymousreply 3510/07/2012

R22 the Deep South is actually quite beautiful with the Antebellum homes and such. Good food too. Of course it has areas of deep poverty but so does everywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 3610/07/2012

Atlanta and New Orleans which have a lot of the production work that used to be done in Los Angeles. I have no desire to relocate to either of these places.

by Anonymousreply 3710/07/2012

There is no place I wouldn't want to visit. People ruling out the Middle East have no interest in seeing the Valley of the Kings in Egypt? Egypt is considered part of the ME. The ME is our link to history and there are so many structures from antiquity to see.

The US is beautiful and I want to visit every state.

I would say Africa, but as I would love to go on a safari to see all the beautiful African wildlife, I can't dismiss it either.

I would love to go everywhere and anywhere to explore the world. I even want to Antarctica.

by Anonymousreply 3810/07/2012

by Anonymousreply 3910/07/2012

Florida, ever again.

by Anonymousreply 4010/07/2012

I've been to a Stan country. People over their stare at you, unlike here in America.

Also, I never want to visit Israel and Saudi Arabia. Both of those countries boils me for someone reason. And it's not because those two are religious countries.

France - I fucking hate. Double standard people over there.

by Anonymousreply 4110/07/2012

The desire to visit is very different from what areas can be visited with a degree of safety.

I've been to Egypt, r38, but can understand why people would not want to visit at this time due to the political turmoil and the government treatment of gays. Many tour boats on the Nile and tour companies went out of business during the change of government so sightseeing for visitors became difficult.

While many of those areas in the ME provide links to history, if you were given a free trip for two weeks in Syria, would you be willing to go there next week? Or, would you enjoy a free vacation in the Mesopotamian region? I've always had the desire to go there.

My work took me to Chile for several months and I loved the country and the people that I met. At the time, Augusto Pinochet was dictator. It's said that up to 30,000 were tortured by his regime including women and children. There was a curfew and I had to break the curfew early one morning in order to get back to my place to change clothes for work. I ran along side streets, keeping away from the main streets and made it safely back.

by Anonymousreply 4210/07/2012

I'd rather go to Palestine then Israel.

by Anonymousreply 4310/07/2012

One thing nice about most other countries -- especially those deemed "backward or hostile" is, unlike in the West, most don't have sex constantly on their mind, and gay stereotypes are mostly foreign to them if they haven't travelled at all. So they will be mainly focusing on your "Westerness" as opposed to your gayness -- often even if you have a purse falling out of your mouth.

But this also means you can't hit on them, or they realize what is going on quite quickly.

by Anonymousreply 4410/07/2012

Everyplace above 23rd Street, with a few exceptions:

Museum Mile Central Park Riverside Drive Broadway Theatres Lincoln Center

by Anonymousreply 4510/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!