Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Thank God 30 Rock Will Be Over at Season's End

Even Kenneth, the ageless page, is looking old.

And did we really need TWO seasons of Kristen Schaal's Hazel and Will Forte's Paul? Previous love interest characters were sensiblly confined to one season. Two seasons of Kristen Schaal was enough to tank Flight of the Conchords. Yeah, we get it, she's weird looking. But she's not terribly funny.

Marriage of a major character (Baldwin) and introduction of a baby/child are two shark jumps which should have ended the series last year.

by Anonymousreply 9811/18/2012

It was a great season debut and I'm going to miss the show once it's gone.

OP, perhaps you should stick to CBS sitcoms. You know, the ones that tell you when it's time to laugh.

by Anonymousreply 110/06/2012

I also noticed that Jack McBrayer is visibly older this season.

by Anonymousreply 210/06/2012

Fuck off, OP.

by Anonymousreply 310/06/2012

I like Kristen Schaal :(

by Anonymousreply 410/06/2012

[quote]And did we really need TWO seasons of Kristen Schaal's Hazel

Yes, actually we did. And a third. She's a laff staple. Adore her schtick.

Though I'll grant you Paul. A bit dull.

30 Rock is the best blend of farce and satire on TV. I think there's at least one flawless episode per season and the rest are top of the game.

by Anonymousreply 510/06/2012

30 Rock is the all-time Honey Badger of sitcoms. 30 Rock don't give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 610/06/2012

Tina Fey looks hardly aged at all.

by Anonymousreply 710/06/2012

I love Paul. I also love Kristen Schaal but her character feels kind of redundant.

by Anonymousreply 810/06/2012

What you complaining about, OP bitch? It's ending. Don't watch the rest.

by Anonymousreply 910/06/2012

30 Rock seems like the type of show I would enjoy. I usually like these type of comedies, but for some reason I never got into it.

by Anonymousreply 1010/06/2012

LOVE 30 Rock, but really don't appreciate the Hazel character. She takes it waaay too over the top in a series where everyone is way too over the top. But I do love the storyline of tanking NBC. I'm just looking forward to a whole season of the godawful series they keep inventing.

by Anonymousreply 1110/06/2012

I love 30 ROCK, and Tina Fay, and hazel, but not the session opener. It was a dud. I was surprised by how strangely flat it was.

There's always next week, at least for awhile

by Anonymousreply 1210/06/2012

[quote]I'm just looking forward to a whole season of the godawful series they keep inventing.

New season is only 13 episodes and gone forever. No full season for you.

by Anonymousreply 1310/06/2012

OP is just grumpy that he can't wear green because he has witch undertones.

by Anonymousreply 1410/06/2012

R14, that gag made me lol

by Anonymousreply 1510/06/2012

Can't stand Tracy Jordan, I hope he fades away

by Anonymousreply 1610/06/2012

It will be interesting to see what Fey does next as a series creator. If she's a one-trick pony satirizing her SNL experience or if she can go somewhere new.

by Anonymousreply 1710/06/2012

It was pretty clear what Tracy Jordan's character was supposed to represent -- too bad no one told Tracy Jordan.

by Anonymousreply 1810/06/2012

...or as Tracy Morgan pronounces it, "Tracy Jort-un."

by Anonymousreply 1910/06/2012

I love this show and all of it's characters, my favorite being crazy Jenna played to pitch perfection by Jane Krakowski. I am glad I have TIVO, because there are several very quick laughs you have to play over again - the witch undertones being one.

And one love interest story I need to see more of is Liz and Chriss. I need to see more Marsden

Will Forte is going to be a serious actor now, starring in Alexander Payne's next movie along side Bruce Dern. Shooting begins in Nebraska soon.

by Anonymousreply 2010/06/2012

I think it is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 2110/06/2012

R17, Tina Fey has already "pitched" her next project. She says she wants to team up with Amy Poehler for a Cagney and Lacy reboot but set in space.

She also said, apparently more seriously, that she does hope to team up with Amy on something more at their own personal taste level than was Baby Mama.

by Anonymousreply 2210/06/2012

Season 6 was horrible as well... Seasons 1-5= gold!

by Anonymousreply 2310/06/2012

I thought season 3 was a bit spotty with the downward trend of the show beginning in season 4. Each season has had some great episodes, though.

by Anonymousreply 2410/06/2012

Has Jane K. lost weight?

by Anonymousreply 2510/06/2012

I've flicked past that show many times, and not laughed once. Seems broad and forced.

I liked Tina Fey on the SNL Weekend Update, but never really since. Although I think she's a good writer.

by Anonymousreply 2610/06/2012

I'm glad. While I like most of the cast, I refuse to watch because of that cunt Alec Baldwin. Why anyone likes him is beyond me. Such an unlikeable being.

by Anonymousreply 2710/06/2012

R17 Perhaps she'll concentrate more on movie roles or voicing annimation

by Anonymousreply 2810/06/2012

Me too, R15.

by Anonymousreply 2910/06/2012

[quote]I've flicked past that show many times, and not laughed once. Seems broad and forced.

I get what you are saying. It can get really broad. What drew me in was the characters. I love both Liz and Jenna and the Liz/Jack chemistry (not just sexual) is terrific.

by Anonymousreply 3010/06/2012

i have always thought that the Alec Baldwin character was secretly in a relationship with Tracy Jordan. I think that will be revealed in the last episode.

by Anonymousreply 3110/06/2012

why does Tina Fey dislike the actor that plays Jenna?

by Anonymousreply 3210/06/2012

It was a very enjoyable show about the time Tina Fey did her hilarious impression of Sarah Palin (I think she helped save the country from republican destruction that way) but not long after that it seemed to have taken a dizzying plunge down the toilet. I don't know what could have saved it, but it was probably past it much like "The Office"--towards the end that show was digging the bottom of the barrel although I've heard there is going to be a new Dwight Shrout show based on his beet farm bed and breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 3310/06/2012

I have loved 30 Rock, but it definitely didn't feel as consistently sharp last season.

If it could continue to be funny, I'd like the show to run for several more years, but because of the recent sense I've gotten of it being an aging show, I'm glad they are bringing it to an end.

by Anonymousreply 3410/06/2012

I think season 4 was a slump period but otherwise I think it's consistently really, really funny and a lot more enjoyable than pretty much every other internet nerd favorite sitcom of the moment outside of Louie

by Anonymousreply 3510/06/2012

I'm glad you and Tina ended your feud, R34.

by Anonymousreply 3610/07/2012

[quote] why does Tina Fey dislike the actor that plays Jenna?

Tina wrote the role for her friend Rachel Dratch, but the NBC execs (incl. Lorne Michaels) wanted Jenna to be played by a "more attractive" actress, so they nixed Dratch and cast Jane Krakowski instead. Tina was overruled, and didn't want Jane in the part.

by Anonymousreply 3710/07/2012

NBC made a good decision with Jane Krakowski. She's the best part of the show.

by Anonymousreply 3810/07/2012

Tina Fey wanted to protect Rachel Dratch in a similar way to how Liz Lemon wanted to protect Jenna when the new boss (Jack) wanted Tracy to replace Jenna as the star of TGS.

by Anonymousreply 3910/07/2012

SNL without a doubt went downhill after Tina left. I thought 30 Rock was mostly unwatchable last season haven'y bothered this season...

James MarSden should be doing something with full frontal nudity....

by Anonymousreply 4010/07/2012

Even a dud season of 30 Rock is better than 90% of the other comedy shows on TV.

It baffles me why Jane Krakowski isn't winning awards left and right for Jenna. It's consistently one of the best acted, best timed character performances.

by Anonymousreply 4110/07/2012

How can you complain about season six? That Batman episode was fucking brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 4210/07/2012

Why do you think Fey doesn't like Krakowski? While picking her 5 favorite 30 Rock episodes in the EW interview, she selected Season 4's "Verna" (where Jan Hooks appears as Jenna's mother) and says watching the episode will make you mad that Krakowski doesn't have an Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 4310/07/2012

Jane Krakowski had me at Janet Jopler.

"Take another little chunk of my lung, mister!"

by Anonymousreply 4510/07/2012

The show should have kept Liz as the sane one trapped amid the crazy stars of TGIF, the juvenile writers and the megalomaniacal Jack who wanted to be her mentor.

It went downhill when Liz was made as crazy/zany as everybody else.

by Anonymousreply 4610/07/2012

r45 that quote is the reason why I love this show

by Anonymousreply 4710/07/2012

I never watched this show until last season and I wondered why the hell I hadn't. It's one of the funniest shows I've seen in years.

by Anonymousreply 4810/07/2012

Jane Krakowski makes me laugh out loud on every episode. Jenna is so selfish, clueless and narcissistic she's hilarious.

One of my favorite Jenna moments happened when Liz was talking to a person on the street that DLers would describe as a "flyover Wal-Mart" type. Jenna interrupted them and Liz said she was being rude. Jenna said "Liz, I never see people who look like that" and just carried on talking.

by Anonymousreply 4910/07/2012

Jenna does have some of the best one liners. When Liz was visiting her boyfriend in Cleveland and describing all of the attention she got there, Jenna proclaimed that every New Yorker is a model west of the Allegheny.

by Anonymousreply 5010/07/2012

I heard Tina Fey was going to work on a big screen adaptation of "The Rural Juror" after 30 Rock ends.

by Anonymousreply 5110/07/2012

Not sure why this show ever ran more than four episodes. It's gotten horrible ratings for it's entire run. "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" was wayyyy better show about the same subject and it got better ratings.

by Anonymousreply 5210/07/2012

Agree w/you, r41. Love you, R51.

by Anonymousreply 5310/07/2012

Liz dressing up as Princess Leia and pretending to be batshit crazy so she could get out of jury duty had me laughing so hard I had to pause the DVR.

by Anonymousreply 5410/07/2012

Jack: Jenna, I have an actress problem.

Jenna: Whatever you do, don't try to move the body yourself.

by Anonymousreply 5510/07/2012

R52 is so idiotic, I don't know where to begin.

by Anonymousreply 5610/07/2012

R56 has nowhere to begin because she has no case.

by Anonymousreply 5710/07/2012

R52 = Aaron Sorkin

by Anonymousreply 5810/07/2012

Who would know, r58? Hardly no one watches it.

by Anonymousreply 5910/08/2012

This week (Stride of Pride) was the first episode this season that made me laugh at all.

This wasn't the reason why, but...

it's amusing to me that Ryan Lochte is comfortable playing up the 'himbo' image. He seems to accept that he comes across as a dumb and he runs with it.

by Anonymousreply 6010/20/2012

Jack realizing that one of his tricks had a sex idiot, too, and that he was the "older, delusional man" was priceless.

by Anonymousreply 6110/20/2012

Ryan Lochte really isn't that attractive. Thank God he stopped "happening" before he ever started.

by Anonymousreply 6210/20/2012

One of my favorite Jack lines.

"Rich fifty is the new 35."

by Anonymousreply 6310/20/2012

I loved that scene in last week's episode where Liz Lemon could only get turned on by organizing her schedule. I love this show and don't get why some people seem to despise it or don't find it funny, I've rarely seen a bad episode of it.

by Anonymousreply 6410/20/2012

I thought the best part of last year was Margaret Cho as Kim Jong-Un, secretly in love with Jack's ex, Avery.

by Anonymousreply 6510/20/2012

R65, it's "Rich 50 is middle-class 38"

by Anonymousreply 6610/20/2012

Really, what other angle does Ryan have R60? And this assumes he even gets it, which I'm not sure of.

by Anonymousreply 6710/20/2012

(R65), or "50 is the new 40 for men. But it's still 60 for women."

by Anonymousreply 6810/20/2012

So Tracy Morgan was on Jimmy Kimmel last night. Among the only clearly perceptible things he said was that NBC asked him to let people know that this week 30 Rock will be on Wednesday night (Halloween) instead of Thursday.

I thought he was smoking something because none of the TV schedules I checked show that change, but apparently he's correct.

A new 30 Rock will be run tonight at 8pm (Eastern) in place of Animal Practice. Apparently on Thursday night they are running an episode of The Voice that had to be bumped for hurricane coverage.

by Anonymousreply 6910/31/2012

Liz's laugh out line for me from last weeks ep (at Jacks republican fund raiser): i hope my kid is gay. boy gay, not girl gay, because that requires too much hiking.

by Anonymousreply 7010/31/2012

Tina said they are trying to get Salma Hayek on this season to reprise "Elisa." I freaking loved those episodes, especially The Generalisimo. Salma and Alec are sexy and funny together.

by Anonymousreply 7110/31/2012

I began recording and FF'ing through every single scene with Tracy Jordan two seasons ago. Other than that, I still think it's fun.

That said, I am a bit burnt out on Tina Fey. She just needs to take a rest for a while and hopefully reemerge with something new, fresh and funny.

Is it just me or does anyone else find Pete sexy??

by Anonymousreply 7210/31/2012

Like Arrested Development, either you get it or you dont. I think its fucking brilliant and light years ahead of most of the crap that is out there. Last seasons live episode was so damn funny and I laughed so much I missed half the jokes. "What the what?" "Blurgh!" and "Good God, Lemon!" are now a part of my daily vocabulary. But OP does have a point. What the hell happened to Jack McBrayer? It looks like he aged 20 years since last season! I know Kenneth is supposed to be over 200 years old, but its kind of strange how much he has changed.

by Anonymousreply 7310/31/2012

I like Liz Lemon's weird relationships with Jack and Tracy.

I don't know why some people hate this show, but it's always been very funny to me. Last week's episode was great.

by Anonymousreply 7410/31/2012

I'm a dyke but Pete Hornberger is my pretend TV boyfriend. Of course I have a much more serious adult relationship with Liz Lemon my pretend TV wife. I have a (male) friend who thinks Lutz is sexy, which boggles my mind.

by Anonymousreply 7510/31/2012

Hornberger planting a big one on Kenneth's mouth was lol moment.

by Anonymousreply 7610/31/2012

I love this show too. But it wasn't until reading the last few posts that I realized this must be the ugliest male cast ever assembled on a television show. I guess I can see people being attracted to Alec Baldwin, but for some reason he's never done it for me. But then: Tracy, Pete, Lutz, Kenneth, whatever Judah Friedlanders character name is... One is more ugly than the next. They need to promote James Marsden to series regular, stat.

by Anonymousreply 7711/01/2012

So far I like this season. Last season not so much....

by Anonymousreply 7811/01/2012

I actually laughed out loud last night during a few parts esp. the political ad against Liz

by Anonymousreply 7911/01/2012

One of my all-time favorites is 1-900-OK-FACE. I nearly died the first time I saw this.

by Anonymousreply 8011/01/2012

[quote] I have a (male) friend who thinks Lutz is sexy, which boggles my mind.

Lutz looks soft, supple and warm - someone you could just melt into while you pound away.

I have seen him a handful of times out and about with the blond female writer on the show. I think they are married or at least a couple. I think she was pregnant the last time I saw her. The writers on the show ARE writers on the show, n'est-ce pas?

by Anonymousreply 8111/03/2012

I almost lizz every time I watch that episode!

by Anonymousreply 8211/03/2012

Yuck. More Hazel tonight.

by Anonymousreply 8411/15/2012

Don't care. Alec Baldwin kills it in 30Rock. Don't think he'll ever be better than this.

by Anonymousreply 8511/16/2012

Isn't it better NOT to mess with history, and let the blackface, smoking, dometsic violence, dangerous driving (even cells were dangeorus in 1990s films), slave labor, and the like stand? It would spark better history discussions if they did this.

by Anonymousreply 8611/16/2012

[quote] don't know why some people hate this show,

I don't know about people in this thread *hating* this show. They've said it used to be very funny and isn't anymore. That's not hate. It's disappointment and maybe exasperation.

by Anonymousreply 8711/16/2012

I run hot and cold on Hazel, but she did have a great line tonight when bringing Liz back from her foot surgery.

Liz: "I can't believe you got the insurance company to pick up the costs for everything!"

Hazel: " You just need to say the right things to them. Like 'I know your children's names and what they wore to school today'."

by Anonymousreply 8911/16/2012

loved Jenna's internal monlogue in the last episode

by Anonymousreply 9011/18/2012

Fucking racist show. Glad it's coming to an end.

by Anonymousreply 9111/18/2012

You're clearly not getting something.

by Anonymousreply 9211/18/2012

R932, the show makes its Black characters appear stupid and/or ghetto. Tracy Morgan is invariably written as a jackass and Sherri Shepherd is forced to do the stereotypical ghetto black woman thing. I think Tina Fey has a lot of racial issues and the show definately convinces me that she uses it as her platform to demean and demonize Black folks.

by Anonymousreply 9311/18/2012

Do you really watch the show? Liz Lemon's liberal racism is attacked over and over. Tracy Morgan only pretends to be a party boy with tons of women on the side, he can't not be faithful to his wife. On plenty of occasions he's pointed out Liz Lemon's racism. There have been more than a few episodes devoted to Tracy Morgan having big contests with Liz where he outsmarts her. Grizz and Dot Com are the most intelligent and only sane people on the show. Sherri Shepherd is also on Liz Lemon's ass about Liz's racism, she's a sharp businesswoman, and her humor is sharp-- not the typical sort of humor assigned to black women.

by Anonymousreply 9411/18/2012

[quote]Tracy Morgan is invariably written as a jackass and Sherri Shepherd is forced to do the stereotypical ghetto black woman thing. I think Tina Fey has a lot of racial issues and the show definately convinces me that she uses it as her platform to demean and demonize Black folks.

Obviously someone spouting off who has never watched the show. Toofer is the most educated writer on the show.

by Anonymousreply 9511/18/2012

"the show makes its Black characters appear stupid and/or ghetto."

The show makes its White characters appear stupid and white trashy as well.

by Anonymousreply 9611/18/2012

Jenna Maroney's white trashiness is delicious. Kenneth's too. I love this show. I'll be sad to see it go.

by Anonymousreply 9711/18/2012

Alec Baldwin might be a loathsome person in real life, but his Jack Donaghy is hysterical.

"Good God, Lemon. When did you find time to eat a diaper you found on the beach?"

Also, he is way sexier now in his middle age. I found him so meh in his younger years. I'd like to hate fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 9811/18/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!