Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I wish I lived close enough to a neighboring state to buy cheaper gas.

Congrats California, we now have gas more expensive than in Hawaii. Looking forward to emptying my bank account to fill my tank today.

On the upside, wine is cheaper than gas.. so drink, don't drive.

by Broke in LAreply 3710/08/2012

OP, I'm sorry. I hope you get through this.

by Broke in LAreply 110/06/2012

Whew, just sold my big ass SUV this week.

by Broke in LAreply 210/06/2012

It's expensive, but we'll survive. These gas prices are motivating me to walk a bit more and to be more deliberate when I leave the house. That's a good thing.

If people aren't thinking before they start their cars and zoom off, then gas prices aren't high enough.

I've lived in Southern California my entire life and I love my car, but I'm not getting my panties in a wad over these gas prices.

by Broke in LAreply 310/06/2012

It's $5/gal where I live. If LA had decent public transportation, I'd be more than happy to take it, but they don't.

by Broke in LAreply 410/06/2012

The world as we know gone.

by Broke in LAreply 510/07/2012

It looks like the oil companies have Mitt's back.

by Broke in LAreply 610/07/2012

They are saying it could go up to 8.00 a gallon.

by Broke in LAreply 710/07/2012

OP, Bitch please! You ain't broke if you have $18 to start threads.

by Broke in LAreply 810/07/2012

Re 4 and who do you all have to blame for that? They should have been installing FUNCTIONAL public transportation DECADES ago (not railways to nowhere). The taxpayers sat on their butt and refused to support any alternative form of transportation. I was shocked after visiting for the first time in 5 or so years, and it has gotten even worse. Life is too short to live like that. In ten years there are parts of the city where you will not be able to drive from point a to point b during rush hour.

If older cities in Europe can incorporate transit, there is no freaking excuse for LA. The trams I saw in France would be amazing in so many parts of southern California. They were able to install them into existing old infrastructure by converting some of the various roads to purely rail. Like light rail it can move across existing intersections and easily incorporate into the traffic light systems already existing. Ditch the bus lines and incorporate a tram system. When you have that much traffic buses become moot.

by Broke in LAreply 910/07/2012

Calm down, OP -- take a deep breath & try to hang on until Wednesday:

[quote]The good news, analysts said, is that gas prices in California are expected to level off and begin falling by midweek.

by Broke in LAreply 1010/07/2012

I'm scared shitless right now.

by Broke in LAreply 1110/07/2012

OP, you realize the reason CA prices are always higher is mainly due to the useless regulations on how gas for the state has to be formulated?

Drive to Mexico- gas is half the price, and just as good.

by Broke in LAreply 1210/07/2012

It's not entirely city/urban planners fault that LA's transit sucks so bad. There's so much NIMBYism all throughout the entire city, that it's a wonder that any rail/lines/projects get completed at all. The traffic clogged westside is notorious for this problem...

Everyone complains about the traffic and gas prices but no one is willing to take a bus or use public transit. That's understandable because LA Metro is often unreliable. But it won't get any better or more reliable without more public support. It's a real Catch 22.

by Broke in LAreply 1310/07/2012

re 12 the state also taxes gasoline more.

by Broke in LAreply 1410/07/2012

I work 2.5 miles away from home. If I were to take public transportation, it would cost me $6 per day and take 45 minutes each way.

And people wonder why I don't take the bus because...?

by Broke in LAreply 1510/07/2012

R15, why don't you walk to work?

by Broke in LAreply 1610/07/2012

Yes, for the handi-capable, it only takes about 30 minutes to walk 2.5 miles.

by Broke in LAreply 1710/07/2012

Here in Manhattan we live about 2 miles away from New Jersey. Right now it is $4.27 at the Hess on 10th Ave at 45th Street, near the Manhattan terminus of the Lincoln Tunnel. It is $3.71/gal at the Hess on the Jersey Side in Weehawken. Unfortunately the toll to cross the river costs way more than the gas savings.

by Broke in LAreply 1810/07/2012

Worrying over a 56 cent per gallon difference is highly ridiculous.

Many people waste much more than that on coffee and drinks and food during a one week period.

by Broke in LAreply 1910/07/2012

Hey, your economy is in the shitter and gas is expensive, but at least your textbooks are lighter and you don't have to worry about conversion therapy!

by Broke in LAreply 2010/07/2012

I don't care how high it gets. I have never ridden a bus with the stink people and never will.

My car is my sanctuary and Il'll never give it up.

by Broke in LAreply 2110/07/2012

2.5miles r15? Why not bike to work? Good exercise and money saved.

by Broke in LAreply 2210/07/2012

R21 = Ann Romney

by Broke in LAreply 2310/07/2012

You can't afford gas but you can afford $18 for this site.

If you can't afford to fill your gas tank, you need to set yourself down and have a long talk.

How is it that you got yourself into a situation where you can't even earn a basic living.

That's pathetic. Did you waste all your youth at gay bars, in a vain self serving attempt to find the love that would never happen, because it's mo love?

Jobs are looking real good, the economy has been out of recession for two years, so if you are struggling, it's YOU, stop blaming others.

by Broke in LAreply 2410/07/2012

R24 = Cunt

by Broke in LAreply 2510/07/2012

Chris Rossini Email | Twitter

Bloomberg is running a very instructive article on Power vs. Market.

The Market can be pushed around for awhile by petty tyrants. But, in the end, it always wins.

California is now facing $5 gasoline prices. And, wouldn't you know, crisis is forcing repeals: Gasoline closing in on a record $5 a gallon prompted Governor Jerry Brown to direct California regulators to relax smog controls so oil refineries could increase supplies of cheaper fuel.

Great example of central planning hitting a brick wall.

Here comes another layer of bureaucracy: The California Air Resources Board yesterday granted refineries permission to make an early shift to winter-blend gasoline, typically not sold until after Oct. 31. Due to the composition of the gasoline, refiners can produce more of the winter blend than the summer blend.

An "Air Resources Board" needs to 'grant permission'?

In the U.S.S.R California they do.

Here's another way that bureaucrats have boxed themselves in. And keep in mind that this is the state with the most motorists in the entire country: California is dependent on its own refineries for gasoline because the state is mostly cut off from oil-products pipelines spanning the rest of the country. Refiners outside California are generally not equipped to supply the cleaner-burning gasoline required in the state.

Gas stations are also running out of gas!

I learned long ago, from reading Gary North, that whenever you hear of a shortage, ask the following question:

"At what price?"

In other words, are gas stations afraid of raising prices to an even higher market level? Will the central planners come after them for "price gouging"?

You can bet your last dollar they would.

So the market is once again roaring with a vengeance in California.

The U.S. Federal Government and Federal Reserve should take notice. They've rubbed the market's nose into the ground for an extremely long time.

At some point the market bites back...and it bites back hard!

by Broke in LAreply 2610/08/2012

Just keep repeating.....

It's all Obama's fault!It's all Obama's fault!It's all Obama's fault!It's all Obama's fault!It's all Obama's fault!It's all Obama's fault!

by Broke in LAreply 2710/08/2012

How is this blaming Obama? He's just one more in a long line of misguided tools and fools who believed they could legislate prosperity and happiness.

Why is gas 50% cheaper in Mexico? Because it isn't taxed as heavily, and refiners don't have to jump through bullshit hoops. That's not Obama's fault.

by Broke in LAreply 2810/08/2012

Gas is cheaper in Mexico because PEMEX, in other words the government owns the gas monopoly. That is why. We, in the great capitalistic United States pay through the nose for gas and pay more.

But stop the crying. Most of the rest of the industrialized world has been paying $5.00 a gallon (or the euros/yen per litres equivalent) for decades. They have smaller cars that get better mileage. And more mass transit. We've been told for many years that petroleum was a limited resource. We had gas lines back during the Nixon Administration!

I walk everywhere I need to go, and take a small commuter bus with the stinky people every weekday. My commute is $2 per day, and $10 a week. I rarely use my car. This is why living in the city --real cities with narrow streets and convenient walking distances will triumph over suburban living.

by Broke in LAreply 2910/08/2012

Just shut the fuck up, you spoiled bitch. Ok?

by Broke in LAreply 3010/08/2012

The thought has crossed my mind if this was happening right before the election to get Cali, a state with lots of electorals, to get pissed at Obama. Not that it's his fault but when has logic ever gotten in the way of voters who just want to lash out?

by Broke in LAreply 3110/08/2012

So, R29, monopolies make things cheaper?

by Broke in LAreply 3210/08/2012

C'mon, R29- do monopolies make things cheaper? If so, why aren't ALL businesses owned and run by the government?

by Broke in LAreply 3310/08/2012

Supply manipulation for profit? Who'd do that?

by Broke in LAreply 3410/08/2012

R22 I wouldn't mind biking to work but I have a lot of back problems & can't carry a bicycle up and down the stairs of my apartment building every day.

R24 apparently has sand in her vagina today.

by Broke in LAreply 3510/08/2012

The price gouging is out of control enough for Dianne Feinstein to request an investigation. Good for her!

by Broke in LAreply 3610/08/2012

Good for her, R36

She should make a law that gas can only cost $1 a gallon if you make less than $10 an hour, and $2 if you make $20/hr, and let people that make anything over that pay for the rest of the cost.

by Broke in LAreply 3710/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!