Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The late night hosts are crucifying Obama

Is this the beginning of the end or a temporary bump in the road?

“What a crowd! Man! Yeah! You sound like Republicans watching last night's debate. Oh, my gosh. Well, the consensus is Mitt Romney won the presidential debate last night. The only people that thought Obama won - the replacement refs. Those are the only ones”

They're saying close to 60 million people may have watched the debate. In fact, the only person who didn't tune in, I think, was President Obama. What happened? Even Tony Romo was going, “What happened?”

"There is no red America! There is no blue America! There is only the America that can't believe how bad this guy did in the debate." –Jon Stewart

You could tell what was going through Obama’s mind the whole time – “Should I use a six iron or a seven iron”?

"After months of buildup, last night was the first presidential debate at the University of Denver. Of course, a lot of big names didn't show up to the event -- Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, President Obama." -Jimmy Fallon

“Clint Eastwood debated a chair. Romney debated a suit”

"A lot of people disappointed in President Obama's performance last night. Last night, critics say President Obama spent too much time looking down at something on the podium. And today the president apologized and said, 'At the next debate, no more angry birds.'" –Conan O'Brien

"President Obama talked last night about finding new sources of energy. He couldn't muster enough energy for the 90-minute debate. And to make matters worse, last night was his anniversary. The only way his wedding anniversary could have been worse was if he had forgotten it." –Jay Leno

"At one point last night President said the one thing about being president is learning to say no -- especially when someone asks, 'Do you feel ready for this debate?'" –Conan O'Brien

"It's like Obama wasn't even there. He hasn't done this poorly since he debated Clint Eastwood." –Stephen Colbert

“You could tell Obama was confused. He was thinking “What the hell, I thought I was debating Kerry””

“It’s hard to believe that all of those appearances on “The View” didn’t prepare him better”

Every the cover of The New Yorker is a drawing of Romney debating an empty chair.

by Anonymousreply 3410/07/2012

Jobs report. End of story, freeper.

by Anonymousreply 110/06/2012

In 2004 Bush had a similar and disastrous first debate. Unfortunately that didn't change the election results.

This one won't either. In this case, fortunately.

by Anonymousreply 210/06/2012

It was a missed golden opportunity for Obama to keep the pressure on that Romney is an out-of-touch plutocrat. If it weren't for the jobs report changing the news cycle, it might very well have cost Obama the election. It was that bad.

by Anonymousreply 310/06/2012

With announcement of unemployment numbers this has been universally nullified.

Nice try though.

by Anonymousreply 510/06/2012

I've seen Americans vote for idiots in the past and they may do it again. What matters is, who will they put on the Supreme Court? Except that might be fixed also? I really don't think the voting public has much to do with our national government...it's pretty much a show, smoke and mirrors. This is a corpocracy, not a democracy. Many of us our not much better than corporate slaves, pretty much like every other third world country.

by Anonymousreply 610/06/2012

The problem: 60 million viewers saw the first debate.

How many people will see or understand the significance of the 7.8% unemployment number?

by Anonymousreply 710/06/2012

The MSNBC commentators hurt Obama significantly with their over-the-top negativity after the debate. I thought it was a draw until I watched Chris Matthews and Ed Shultz. Al Sharpton was the only one defending Obama.

by Anonymousreply 810/06/2012

Freepers will be talking about the debate until things change in the next one. That's all they have. Let them have their fun.

by Anonymousreply 910/06/2012

It was the contrast between Mittens and Obama that highlighted O's low energy. Mittens really brought his "A" game, but then again, it was do-or-die time. I thought he came off as a used car salesman.

The question is whether the debate will move the polls, and so far, it isn't looking like it will. The online odds-making sites immediately reduced Obama and increased Mittens, but that was short-lived, being reversed 36 hours later when the new jobs numbers were released. And, like every event in this campaign, Mitten's gains were erased. At least this time it was due to external events and not something he said.

The one thing that the late-night hosts went on to say, particularly Jon Stewart, was that Mittens was lying his ass off. Now, for those who know Mormons, this is no surprise; Mormons will say anything to get their way, and in their ends-justify-the-means philosophy, Mittens reversing on tax increases, healthcare, Medicare, and pretty much everything else he said was no different. If you believe Mitt the debater instead of everything he's said for the last 6 years, you're a fool. Even his campaign said he "misspoke" on several of the relevant issues, from the "no pre-existing conditions" claim, to the "no tax cut for high income earners" statement.

Hopefully, Obama getting panned will, as Samuel Jackson said, wake him the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 1010/06/2012

The positive effect of the unemployment numbers has been moderated by the conspiracy theories. Out of the headlines about the numbers, there were at least one other headline about the theory the numbers were manipulated. Unfortunately, a lot of people, particularly white males and Independents, are prone to believe these rightwing conspiracy theories. I don't think we are gonna see a major poll bump because of the job numbers because the rightwing successfully responded with its own counternarrative.

by Anonymousreply 1110/06/2012

How foolish must the Obama campaign have been not to have noticed that Obama's debating skills were rusty months ago, and try to evade the type of disaster we have after Wednesday night? Why didn't they bring in Bill CLinton to help him? Why didn't they get serious when they saw that Romney was practicing for the debates way back in August with Republican heavy-hitters? I blame Obama, but I think his campaign managers were even worse.

by Anonymousreply 1210/06/2012

I'm voting for Obama with my nose plugged. But just because he was the only one who included gays in his speeches, and has done a couple things or us.

Seeing what the Mormons did in California makes me a lifelong enemy of them.

Obama doesn't seem to know what he's doing- and nobody is helping him.

But I hope he wins and, not worrying about re-election this time- his or Biden's (who probably is uninterested in the Presidency)- I think O should make his 2nd term a massive 4u to all the haters, phobes, Xtians- and push through a bunch of shit that will make their heads spin.

by Anonymousreply 1310/06/2012

The jobs report hasn't influenced the poll numbers for months now, and it probably won't now. Don't count on them to stop the damage.

by Anonymousreply 1410/06/2012

Frankly, he deserved it - He has seemed too smug to me and the worse thing he can do is get too confident; he needs to wake the hell up and start coming out swinging.

by Anonymousreply 1710/06/2012

R15 who are you voting for?

by Anonymousreply 1810/06/2012

The Gallup poll is a 7-day average. Rasmussen is a 3-day average.

by Anonymousreply 1910/06/2012

"Crucifying"?

Exaggerate much?

They're making jokes about him. It's their job.

by Anonymousreply 2010/06/2012

I see that R15 is also the OP.

So it's kinda funny that you accuse another poster of being "biased."

by Anonymousreply 2110/06/2012

[quote]BTW, anyone using the term Mittens is of the same intellectual caliber as those on the right who use Nobama, OneBigAssMistakeAmerica, etc. And, to be clear, that is not a compliment.

Nice try, OP/Little Miss Bossy Pants, but you are probably not keeping anyone from referring to him as Mittens, Shitt, or Rmoney.

by Anonymousreply 2210/06/2012

And I thought I'd hidden my pro-Obama bias so well!

Obviously, you R15 / OP, don't have a bias, either. Whatever.

But as to your point regarding the polls, let's examine the facts. First, the debate was Wednesday night, and there was polling on Thursday and Friday. As of today, Saturday, the polls have moved 2 points toward Mittens, which if we use your ideation, means that Mittens gained one point per day over two days, so if you play it out over three days, he'll gain 3 points, making it once again a dead heat. However, that isn't what's happening. Obama is still up 1.5 in the RCP average, and since the jobs numbers were only released yesterday, they aren't reflected in the polls yet. And let's not forget that mittens and surrogates have spent 18 months exclaiming the jobless rate over 8 percent for months, and that meme is now shot to hell. After staking his campaign on Obama's perceived failure at managing the economy, do you seriously think no one will notice that the numbers are, in fact, getting better?

Meanwhile, Mittens is still under water when it comes to personal favorability, whereas Obama is still +9 or thereabouts.

My concern offer Obama's performance was that the first debate is usually when the vaunted undecideds start paying attention, and he let the liar get away with spinning a tissue of fabricatn contrary to everything he's said and done for at least 6 years, if not his whole life. How about turning to Mittens and saying, "Who is this on the stage... Because everything you're saying is the opposite of Governor Romney's positions!". Fortunately, the media has picked up that mantle. Well, at least those who aren't busy trying to convince the uneducated that the Bureau of Labor Statistics rigged the numbers.

It's late in the game, but it's not a stretch to say that Obama needs to further the meme that Mittens will lie his way into the White House. But to do that, Obama needs to be sharper and on message for the remainder of the cycle. One debate loss isn't going to do that much damage, but the worry is that Obama will cede the point (as he appeared wont to do) in his great overestimation of the American people's intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 2310/06/2012

It will be interesting to hear what Monday night brings sounds like on late night TV

by Anonymousreply 2410/07/2012

Mitt's performance, though total BS, was masterfully persuasive.

I can see how he successfully convinced his family that driving cross country with the dog tied to the car roof was wise.

by Anonymousreply 2510/07/2012

The late night hosts are doing their job.

Obama's job is to keep them focused on Romney.

Multiple choice Romney is the focus.

Romney, he'll say anything.

by Anonymousreply 2610/07/2012

Lol but they're Mormon, so it was easier.

by Anonymousreply 2710/07/2012

You keep fucking that chicken Concern Troll.

by Anonymousreply 2810/07/2012

Obama's momentum was going to stall at some point. At least now it leaves him plenty of time to recover.

by Anonymousreply 2910/07/2012

He's already recovered. Like somebody else said, let the freepers chew on it forever if they want.

COOKED THE BOOKS!!!!

THE NUMBERS ARE WRONG!!!

GAS PRICES!!!

uhm...........CLINTON'S PENIS!!!

by Anonymousreply 3010/07/2012

We know what the Right will say (and keep saying). It will be interesting to hear what Leno and Letterman and all those people say on Monday.

by Anonymousreply 3110/07/2012

I'm sick of that scumbag Leno and his GOP pandering.

by Anonymousreply 3210/07/2012

The debate wasn't fair! Obama couldn't use his telepromter!

by Anonymousreply 3310/07/2012

Every thread with that R33? Well, if that's all you have.

(We'll take their votes, though.)

by Anonymousreply 3410/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.