Since 1995

Mayan Calendar ends in two months

How are you dealing?

by Rareply 4912/21/2012

Fake. How convenient

by Rareply 110/06/2012

Duh, just buy a new one.

by Rareply 210/06/2012

One of the posters in the comments said (sic)

"They Mayan has no leap year so actually the doomsday is actually 16 years ago"

Where were you when the world ended?

by Rareply 310/06/2012

Wouldn't it be awesome if this calendar was predicting the end times for...

by Rareply 410/06/2012

I hope and pray we all die.

by Rareply 510/06/2012

My bday is 12/22 so if the world blows up on the 21st I'll remain one year younger.

by Rareply 610/06/2012

Oh, let's get this thing over with already.

by Rareply 710/06/2012

I never knew what to make of all this until someone in here said we'd experienced it before many times --

Every New Year's Eve, out calender ends and we start anew.

by Rareply 810/06/2012

Here's a secret---the Mayan calendar ain't all that anyway, it's the Aztec calendar that was far more accurate and prophetic, but there is a reason why the Mayan calander is being promoted and the Aztec calander is being ignored.

by Rareply 910/06/2012

Why is Aztec being ignored, R9?

I'm going on a month long vacation on 12/22, so I'm gonna be pissed if I don't get to go.

by Rareply 1010/06/2012

I have finals that week.

by Rareply 1110/06/2012

I think they just didn't need to get that far ahead of themselves. Someone else said something about a computer-bot that has nothing about the earth from 12/21/12 till May 2013. That seemed unusual because supposedly this bot put's out crap all the time, for every day.

by Rareply 1210/06/2012

Op, not dealing with it very well. Someone help me!

by Rareply 1310/06/2012

Oh, no worries, R9, there is no end of the world. Have fun!

The Aztecs, who were correct with almost everything that happened in their society, as well as having exquisite astronomical abilities, are still surviving today and are in fact, in the bloodlines of the Spanish Royalty and their European in-laws.

It's the Mayans who really haven't done too well for themselves, living in abject poverty in Guatamala and southern Mexico.

The Aztec Calendar shows us that our inner worlds wil change and that the Golden Age of Man is about to return. There is great evolution occuring even among teh horrific violence. The planet is birthing another world.

We are very lucky to be alive right now.

by Rareply 1410/06/2012

Don't forget Nibiru is going to crash into us or change our orbit!

Yay, a free vacation and tour of the solar system, y'all!

by Rareply 1510/06/2012

People want it to be true b/c they can't deal with the fact that when they die the world will go on without them.

by Rareply 1610/06/2012

Right, R16, and so many people have a hard-on for gloom because they are frustrated in their own lives.

The Mayan Calendar end-times prophecy is a failure, as is the current Mayan society.

I'm not being mean, and they are lovely people. But living in povery and misery after having been declared 'astronomical genuises' doesn't add up. The Aztecs, however, are still prospering in North America and Europe. And the Aztec Calendar preaches many forms of prosperity.

Who would you believe?

by Rareply 1710/06/2012

According to the Mayan Calendar, the current era (known to the Mayans as a baktun) DOES end on December 21, 2012. However, the world will not end; the calendar simply rolls over to the next baktun. It’s very similar to the Gregorian date of January 1, 2000.

And just like we celebrated the beginning of the new millennium, the Mayans would have celebrated the beginning of a new baktun. This was not something to fear.

by Rareply 1810/06/2012

The level of end times frenzy in the U.S. is interesting.

I remember last year that idiot Harold Camping predicted the end would come sometime in May. As it happened I was driving home that day and chuckled that Camping was wrong yet again.

There's even a group of Christian media types preparing for the second coming. I kid you not.

by Rareply 1910/06/2012

I find it pathetic beyond belief and description that people believe this. I am sorry I have a friend that does; on the other hand, she is actually, diagnosed "mental" (bi-polar; been in institutions. But plenty of "normal" people are buying this horseshit, too.)

Anyone remember 2000??? How, towards the end of 1999, people freaking about computers; buying extra food, water, provisions; I even knew of law firms (in SF) that had a "2000 practice are" in place. Not kidding.

We probably have a better chance of getting hit by an asteroid than this Mayan horseshit.

by Rareply 2010/06/2012

[quote] And just like we celebrated the beginning of the new millennium, the Mayans would have celebrated the beginning of a new baktun. This was not something to fear.

Is there still time to ask then for a naked calendar?

by Rareply 2110/06/2012

The Mayan calendar is very inaccurate when calculating years. Not only did they not account for leap years, they were completely wrong about how many days were in a year. The Mayan “tun” is 360 days long, equivalent of 0.986 years.

The Mayan baktun is the equivalent of 400 Mayan tuns (years). But remember, their years are only 360 days long. 400 x 360 = 144,000. Therefore, each Mayan baktun is a total of 144,000 days long.

For example, the Mayan date for "March 7, 2012" is The first number represents the baktun, the second number katuns (20 Mayan years), the third number is tuns (Mayan years), the fourth is uinals (20 day “weeks”), and the final number is the day.

On December 21, 2012, the first number in the Mayan calendar will change from 12 to 13, making it The last time this happened was on September 18, 1618, when the current baktun started. As you have already imagined, the Mayan date on that day was Obviously, the world didn’t end.

by Rareply 2210/06/2012

The Mormons are strong believers in the Aztec Calendar, and have placed Mitt Romney as a candidate in what they feel are favorable times.

I'll give them this much: they are too smart to fall for the Mayan Calendar, and they know a winner when they see one(Aztecs).

I blame the media for promoting this end-times nonsense but understand how hopelessness fuels the American economy. If we didn't despair, we wouldn't drink, take drugs, get facelifts, buy unnecessary items, go into debt, etc.

The scumbags who profit off of fake Mayan doom include writers, preachers, radio hosts, movie directors, and television producers. The Mayans themselves live hard-scapple lives of poverty, domestic violence, illness, and shortened life spans. All in the name of 'prophetic geniuses' I guess. I mean, it's working for them, right?

by Rareply 2310/06/2012

I didn't know there were any Mayans left. I guess the Europeans destroyed their culture...nothing new.

by Rareply 2410/06/2012

R24, I don't know what the exact numbers are, but all of Guatamala is Mayan, as is Southern Mexico. Some of Hondurus as well.

It looks like there are millions of Mayans.

by Rareply 2510/06/2012

How about Aztecs? Millions of them also?

History books act as if Mayans are gone...completely assimilated into whatever hispanic culture that exist...

by Rareply 2610/06/2012

I'm not paying my American Express bill. Let them sue me in the apocalypse.

by Rareply 2710/06/2012

I've been a real whore OP.

by Rareply 2810/06/2012

I'll be fucking pissed if the world ends. I'm supposed to be leaving for vacation the next day. And my last day on earth will be spent with the cube frau co workers. Ew.

by Rareply 2910/06/2012

r5 = Kirsten Dunst.

by Rareply 3010/06/2012

Thank God!

by Rareply 3110/06/2012

[quote]I didn't know there were any Mayans left. I guess the Europeans destroyed their culture...nothing new.

So go live in a culture that has no European influence, such as the Congo. I'm sure you'll have a great time of it.

by Rareply 3210/06/2012

Nothing's going to happen.

by Rareply 3311/21/2012

My lambs don't worry about this and don't care because they know that the only MC that is relevant and true is not the Mayan Calendar.

by Rareply 3411/21/2012

It's not quite as enjoyable as watching Republicans implode since the election, but watching the right people go nuts over superstitious nonsense is relatively enjoyable, especially knowing they will be pissed when they realize that they have been exploited, perhaps monetarily.

by Rareply 3511/21/2012

Sure, no European influence in the Congo.

Belgians just devastated the place.

by Rareply 3611/21/2012

Why would I believe anything Maya Rudolph says about the calendar? She's just a TV star.

by Rareply 3711/21/2012

I met a cute guy the other night at a dance who mentioned the date as if I would know what he was talking about. It dawned on me after a few moments, and I instantly lost interest and imagined him in a tin foil hat.

by Rareply 3811/21/2012

The Mayans had to know something. Otherwise, why end the calendar?

by Rareply 3912/20/2012

[quote]Nothing's going to happen

You know from personal experience?

by Rareply 4012/20/2012

It's 2012 in other countries and we are still here, not so much.

by Rareply 4112/20/2012

I won't sleep tonight, that's for sure.

by Rareply 4212/20/2012

This graphic has been spread around social media over the past few weeks and it always makes me laugh.

by Rareply 4312/20/2012

Should I mail my Christmas cards or not? Luckily, I've saved money by not shopping.

by Rareply 4412/20/2012

"September 18, 1618"

The Mesoamerican world had pretty conclusively ended by that point. Perhaps our Western culture will have a slow decline that will start or near its midpoint on December 22, 2012.

by Rareply 4512/20/2012

[quote]Should I mail my Christmas cards or not? Luckily, I've saved money by not shopping.

Absolutely, do it now!

by Rareply 4612/20/2012

Purification is happening now, folks!

by Rareply 4712/20/2012

Well -- it's time (at least in LA.) The cat woke me up for food so I thought I'd pay a last visit to DL.

A visit to DL.

More time reading DL.

Maybe I'll bake muffins now.

by Rareply 4812/21/2012

But, wait...

by Rareply 4912/21/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!