Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Video shows 'scientist' in Congress saying evolution is from 'pit of Hell'

Video shows 'scientist' in Congress saying evolution is from 'pit of Hell'

U.S. Rep. Paul Broun's view that the theories of evolution and the big bang are "lies straight from the pit of Hell" is getting more exposure than he might have expected, thanks to a video that was made at a church-sponsored banquet in Georgia and distributed by a progressive political watchdog group.

The Georgia Republican is already well-known as an outspoken conservative Christian, due in part to his unsuccessful campaign to have 2010 declared "the Year of the Bible." But the latest comments have taken on an extra dab of controversy because Broun, a medical doctor, calls himself a scientist in the video and chairs the House Science Committee's panel on investigations and oversight.

The video clip, distributed by the Bridge Project, was taken from a longer version recorded on Sept. 27 during the 2012 Sportsman's Banquet at Liberty Baptist Church in Hartwell, Ga. Here's a transcript of the Bridge Project's snippet:

[quote]"God's word is true. I've come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the big bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell. And it's lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior. You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I've found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth. I don't believe that the earth's but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That's what the Bible says.

[quote]"And what I've come to learn is that it's the manufacturer's handbook, is what I call it. It teaches us how to run our lives individually, how to run our families, how to run our churches. But it teaches us how to run all of public policy and everything in society. And that's the reason as your congressman I hold the Holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I'll continue to do that."

Broun's comments were greeted with applause, and they probably reflect how a lot of his constituents feel about the same issues. He's assured of re-election in any case, due to the fact that he has no Democratic Party challenger in next month's election.

by Anonymousreply 6710/07/2012

Ignorant hateful morons like that should not be allowed in public office. Not even for dog-catcher. I'm serious.

by Anonymousreply 110/06/2012

What kind of brain-dead moron calls The Big Bang godless? It's so easy to call it scientific proof of Creation!

I suppose he hates that idea, because it didn't happen 6,000 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 210/06/2012

Ooh, Broun and Akin are in a race to the bottom.

by Anonymousreply 310/06/2012

How does this not disqualify him from being on the committee?

by Anonymousreply 410/06/2012

How does this not disqualify him from being a doctor? I'm surprised he doesn't believe in the concept of spontaneous generation.

by Anonymousreply 510/06/2012

Stunningly ignorant. The fact that he is a doctor and the chair of a panel of the Science Committee is astounding.

[quote]And what I've come to learn is that it's the manufacturer's handbook, is what I call it. It teaches us how to run our lives individually, how to run our families, how to run our churches. But it teaches us how to run all of public policy and everything in society.

Which parts is he suggesting that we follow? There are a lot of contradictory "directions" in the bible. This is so incredibly stupid that the man must be laboring under a severe mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 610/06/2012

It's so hilariously eerie that he delivers that speech with all those deer heads staring at him.

by Anonymousreply 810/06/2012

R7, he's only a doctor, because he did well in biology classes where evolution was a standard concept taught. Yet he would deny others the same opportunity. Bottom line, he has a top science degree without knowing major concepts related to it. I wouldn't hire him to take the temperature of anyone I know, let alone allow him to prescribe medication.

And then there's the "running our families" notion. Families are people. Sounds like a version of slavery to me. I feel sad for anyone unlucky enough to be related to him.

by Anonymousreply 910/06/2012

R7, you're a fucking moron.

Delusional psychotics do not belong in office.

It's not about his beliefs. It's about his utter rejection of reality.

by Anonymousreply 1010/06/2012

Wow, a dumb hick.

Stop the presses!

by Anonymousreply 1110/06/2012

Georgia does it again. I wonder if he represents Honey Boo Boo's district.

by Anonymousreply 1210/06/2012

The Science degree is likely from Liberty or Brigham Young University.

by Anonymousreply 1410/06/2012

Evolution is not "opinion," it's established scientific fact. Only in America could such a loon be a Congressman let alone a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 1510/06/2012

Evolution is a merely a flimsy little theory.

by Anonymousreply 1610/06/2012

America is becoming the Science worlds joke.

by Anonymousreply 1710/06/2012

"That was really hateful and he shouldn't be allowed in office for having a belief that differs from yours"

There's a difference between opinion and fact. He isn't just stating an opinion - he is telling lies. Evolution is a fact.

It is really sad that America elects nuts like him.

by Anonymousreply 1810/06/2012

[quote]I have mixed feelings about evolution because I was brought up as a Southern Baptist and I do believe there is a God plus Heaven & Hell. I have asked several preachers if we all evolved from Adam & Eve then where did all of the different races come from? To this day I have not received an answer that makes since to me. Also if Jesus was born on Christmas Day and it is the same date every year, then why is Easter not only on different dates but different months of the year?

I saw this from a news reader. Why is that so many christians fail to learn the history of their own religion. Jesus was never believed to have been born on Dec. 25 but people actually think that.

by Anonymousreply 1910/06/2012

[quote]Why is that so many christians fail to learn the history of their own religion. Jesus was never believed to have been born on Dec. 25 but people actually think that.

If he was born much later, he couldn't have taken advantage of after-Christmas sales.

by Anonymousreply 2010/06/2012

Christians can't even accept Jesus couldn't have been white given where he was born, but walking on water is believable.

The man doesn't want to come back because many of his jackass followers would have him put in GITMO.

by Anonymousreply 2110/06/2012

[quote]No, not personally. I just want to know how and why you're so sure if yourself. Do you know the guy? (backwoods idiot) Part of being in America is enjoying the freedom of having your own opinion without being called a backwoods idiot. You not only insult him, but you insult everyone in the state of Georgia that voted for him. I'm looking, but I still don't see anyone calling you a name for your post.

Gotta love the xtian fundie republicans. They love freedom of speech for themselves but not for others.

by Anonymousreply 2210/06/2012

The story is on Yahoo's front page. Predictably, there are ignorant nutters making ignorant statements, but the are outweighed by sensible folks, fortunately.

His Wiki page says he lives in Athens and was educated at the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta. I have a feeling the university folk are going to be all over this.

by Anonymousreply 2310/06/2012

He's a sitting member of the Committee on Science.

by Anonymousreply 2410/06/2012

46% of Americans believe in creationism according to July Gallup poll.

This country is full of willfully ignorant people just like this guy.

by Anonymousreply 2510/06/2012

So is Todd Akin, R24.

And Bachmann is on the Intelligence committee.

Just disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 2610/06/2012

These are the reasons we MUST take back the House.

by Anonymousreply 2710/06/2012

The quote at R19 is poignant. It shows someone raised in ignorant darkness trying to question and reason.

by Anonymousreply 2810/06/2012

"He's a sitting member of the Committee on Science."

That is SAD

by Anonymousreply 2910/06/2012

shameful and embarrassing to all intelligent americans.

by Anonymousreply 3010/06/2012

This blog neatly catalogues every kind of idiot, science denialist, bigot, medical quack, etc:

by Anonymousreply 3210/06/2012

Yes, it's theory that has been proven R31. It is your right to say you don't believe and it's my right to call you idiot for saying it.

by Anonymousreply 3310/06/2012

I am open-minded. I just think you're in total denial. It's called freedom of speech. As I said you have the right to think one way and I have the right to comment the way I see it. Oh, and please, you freepers have nothing on "libs" regarding insults.

by Anonymousreply 3510/06/2012

Since when are we expected to be open-minded to the ignorant and stupid?

by Anonymousreply 3610/06/2012

[quote]We have fossils because of years of winds and rain that cover the dead animals. When God cause Noahs flood alot of animals died...we see alot of those in fossils today

Seen on Yahoo. Bwahahahahaha......................

by Anonymousreply 3710/06/2012

[quote]There's such a thing as freedom of speech, [R4]. Not all of us believe in evolution. It's a theory.

No, R31. It's a fact. You have no concept of what a "scientific theory" is, clearly.

Evolution is an OBSERVED FACT. "Natural Selection" was one of the first scientific theories put foward to try and explain the OBSERVED FACT.

You're a fucking idiot. And doubly so because you think this has anything to do with "freedom of speech". You don't even understand THAT.

Good god, how the fuck do you even dress and feed yourself, you willfully ignorant dolt?!?

by Anonymousreply 3810/06/2012

R34 doesn't even know what 'open minded' means (hint, it's R34 that isn't, not the person he's responding to)

by Anonymousreply 3910/06/2012

Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian

10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!

6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.

by Anonymousreply 4010/06/2012

R34 - Do they teach genome mapping in your parts?

Anyway, why do you believe you're the product of multiple generations of incest? Adam and Eve's "progeny" were freaking incest machines! Sanctity of marriage -- to your siblings! Whoa, what's next sex and marriage between man and dog?

I'm always amused by contradictions Christians don't bother to address.

by Anonymousreply 4110/06/2012

Astounding that adults can believe in Hell in today's world.

by Anonymousreply 4210/06/2012

[quote]Evolution is a fact

No, it's a theory. It's a theory I believe in, and that has a huge amount of evidence that supports it; far more than any other theory. Broun is a tool, but because his belief is based on comparatively little evidence, cherry-picking, and contradiction. Not because evolution is a fact.

by Anonymousreply 4310/06/2012

But it is observable in a lab R43.

by Anonymousreply 4410/06/2012

No, evolution is a fact. HOW it works is a theory.

Just like gravity is a fact. There are theories of gravity to explain how and why it works, but those are FAR less understood than the theories that explain evolution.

Evolution is as much a fact as the fact that we breathe in oxygen and breathe out carbon-dioxide.

Evolution is one of the most clearly and concretely established facts in the scientific world.

People who dismiss it as "just a theory" don't understand science. AT ALL.

by Anonymousreply 4510/06/2012

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Arkansas Republicans tried to distance themselves Saturday from a Republican state representative's assertion that slavery was a "blessing in disguise" and a Republican state House candidate who advocates deporting all Muslims.

The claims were made in books written, respectively, by Rep. Jon Hubbard of Jonesboro and House candidate Charlie Fuqua of Batesville. Those books received attention on Internet news sites Friday.

On Saturday, state GOP Chairman Doyle Webb called the books "highly offensive." And U.S. Rep. Rick Crawford, a Republican who represents northeast Arkansas, called the writings "divisive and racially inflammatory."

Hubbard wrote in his 2009 self-published book, "Letters To The Editor: Confessions Of A Frustrated Conservative," that "the institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise." He also wrote that African-Americans were better off than they would have been had they not been captured and shipped to the United States.

Fuqua, who served in the Arkansas House from 1996 to 1998, wrote there is "no solution to the Muslim problem short of expelling all followers of the religion from the United States," in his 2012 book, titled "God's Law."

Fuqua said Saturday that he hadn't realized he'd become a target within his own party, which he said surprised him.

"I think my views are fairly well-accepted by most people," Fuqua said before hanging up, saying he was busy knocking on voters' doors. The attorney is running against incumbent Democratic Rep. James McLean in House District 63.

Hubbard, a marketing representative, didn't return voicemail messages seeking comment Saturday. He is running against Democrat Harold Copenhaver in House District 58.

The November elections could be a crucial turning point in Arkansas politics. Democrats hold narrow majorities in both chambers, but the GOP has been working hard to swing the Legislature its way for the first time since the end of the Civil War, buoyed by picking up three congressional seats in 2010. Their efforts have also been backed by an influx of money from national political action committees.

Rep. Crawford said Saturday he was "disappointed and disturbed."

"The statements that have been reported portray attitudes and beliefs that would return our state and country to a harmful and regrettable past," Crawford said.

U.S. Rep. Tim Griffin, R-Ark., kicked off the GOP's response Saturday by issuing a release, saying the "statements of Hubbard and Fuqua are ridiculous, outrageous and have no place in the civil discourse of either party."

"Had I known of these statements, I would not have contributed to their campaigns. I am requesting that they give my contributions to charity," said Griffin, who donated $100 to each candidate.

The Arkansas Republican House Caucus followed, saying the views of Hubbard and Fuqua "are in no way reflective of, or endorsed by, the Republican caucus. The constituencies they are seeking to represent will ultimately judge these statements at the ballot box."

Then Webb, who has spearheaded the party's attempt to control the Legislature, said the writings "were highly offensive to many Americans and do not reflect the viewpoints of the Republican Party of Arkansas. While we respect their right to freedom of expression and thought, we strongly disagree with those ideas."

Webb, though, accused state Democrats of using the issue as a distraction.

Democrats themselves have been largely silent, aside from the state party's tweet and Facebook post calling attention to the writings. A Democratic Party spokesman didn't immediately return a call for comment Saturday.

The two candidates share other political and religious views on their campaign websites.

Hubbard, who sponsored a failed bill in 2011 that would have severely restricted immigration, wrote on his website that the issue is still among his priorities, as is doing "whatever I can to defend, protect and preserve our Christian heritage."

Fuqua blogs on his website. One post is titled, "Christianity in Retreat," and says "there is a strange alliance between the liberal left and the Muslim religion."

"Both are antichrist in that they both deny that Jesus is God in the flesh of man, and the savior of mankind. They both also hold that their cause should take over the entire world through violent, bloody, revolution," the post says.

In a separate passage, Fuqua wrote "we now have a president that has a well documented history with both the Muslim religion and Communism."

by Anonymousreply 4610/06/2012

Saying evolution is a theory is like saying the earth orbiting around the sun is a theory.

Some of you don't seem to understand what it means when we say something is true in a scientific sense. It doesn't mean that someone has it captured on video -- it means that there are no other plausible scientific explanation.

by Anonymousreply 4710/06/2012

Not unless you can look back into the far distant past R44. What you cite is evidence of evolution in the past. The theory of evolution makes religion look like a childhood fantasy, for sure. However, it is still a theory.

by Anonymousreply 4810/06/2012

One can observe the process of evolution in a lab, r48.

by Anonymousreply 4910/06/2012

Bravo if you wrote that and bravo for posting, R40. I intend to use it liberally, no pun intended.

Just a note about Catholics and evolution. When I went to Catholic H.S. in the late '70s/early '80s, we were very clearly and explicitly told in religion classes that there is no incompatibility with the theory of evolution and the existence of God. The point for them is that the big bang was set into motion by the creator. John Paul II also made a statement to this effect.

And even freaking Pope Benedict despite all his ways says that the debate is idiotic:

[quote]Pope Benedict XVI said the debate raging in some countries — particularly the United States and his native Germany — between creationism and evolution was an “absurdity,” saying that evolution can coexist with faith.

[quote]The pontiff, speaking as he was concluding his holiday in northern Italy, also said that while there is much scientific proof to support evolution, the theory could not exclude a role by God.

[quote]“They are presented as alternatives that exclude each other,” the pope said. “This clash is an absurdity because on one hand there is much scientific proof in favor of evolution, which appears as a reality that we must see and which enriches our understanding of life and being as such.”

[quote]He said evolution did not answer all the questions: “Above all it does not answer the great philosophical question, ‘Where does everything come from?’”

[quote]Benedict also said the human race must listen to “the voice of the Earth” or risk destroying its very existence.

Just goes to show you that conservative Christianity as it is practiced in the U.S. is a regressive force much like extremist Islam; both are wielded as bludgeons to supress free thought, investigation, and human expression.

by Anonymousreply 5010/06/2012

Dr. Paul Broun is a well known religious fanatic/lunatic and nutcase here in the state of Georgia. I feel relatively sure he will end up putting a gun in his mouth one day. He's batshit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 5110/06/2012

[quote]and a Republican state House candidate who advocates deporting all Muslims.

NYC has lots of Muslims and I love Middle Eastern food, so no.

I'm pretty sure the average American Muslim working his/her ass off all day pays more in taxes than the average Arkansan, so how about we deport based on contribution to the nation? Verbal bilge doesn't count as a contribution.

by Anonymousreply 5310/06/2012

[quote]Hubbard wrote in his 2009 self-published book, "Letters To The Editor: Confessions Of A Frustrated Conservative," that "the institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise." He also wrote that African-Americans were better off than they would have been had they not been captured and shipped to the United States.

Because the bible tells him so. The bible permits the enslavement, barter, sale and purchase of humans so it is not a leap for him to say something like this.

by Anonymousreply 5410/06/2012

R51 - Yet he has no opponent in the election? I think it's so weird that he lives in a college town.

by Anonymousreply 5510/06/2012

[quote]Wow, it only took 40 posts for the typical god hating faggot atheist to make an appearance.

Poor trolling attempt. You didn't capitalize "god."

by Anonymousreply 5610/06/2012

Scientific American also weighed in on Congressman Dr. Paul Broun's speech.

The Earth is only 9000 years old:

by Anonymousreply 5710/06/2012

Christine O' Donnell encompasses all that is wrong with those religious loons who deny science when she essentially said that evolution is a myth because she has yet to see a monkey turn into a human.

by Anonymousreply 5810/06/2012

Ahem, I'm a straight gal R52. I, however, don't have any patience for freeper trolls with archaic world views.

by Anonymousreply 5910/06/2012

[quote]He's a sitting member of the Committee on Science.

Who is the sitting chairperson?

by Anonymousreply 6010/06/2012

OMG! The sitting chairman is an 89 year old lawyer from Texas!

OH.MY.SIDES!

by Anonymousreply 6110/06/2012

Speaking of right wing idiots, here's another -

Slavery ‘May Actually Have Been a Blessing in Disguise’ for Blacks

by Anonymousreply 6210/06/2012

R62, obviously this cousin-fucking hick trash is an asshole for saying it, but in all fairness, Mykelti Williamson [when filming "Ali" in Africa] was quoted as saying: "I'm glad my ancestors were slow motherfuckers."

by Anonymousreply 6310/06/2012

Where has the freeper gone?

by Anonymousreply 6410/06/2012

R64 most freepers are either very elderly therefore in bed early or on a time card.

by Anonymousreply 6510/07/2012

shocking and embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 6610/07/2012

To the outside world, these "Scientists" are just typical Americans.

by Anonymousreply 6710/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.