Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ray Milland

What do we know about him?

by Anonymousreply 4210/08/2012

The Lost Weekend and Dial M For Murder - love him in those.

by Anonymousreply 110/06/2012

Late in his career he did an excellent job in a prominent supporting role in the tv miniseries "Rich Man, Poor Man" as Duncan Calderwood. Ed Asner won the Emmy he should have gotten.

by Anonymousreply 210/06/2012

I loved him in [italic]the Major and the Minor," but the only thing I know about him is that Milland is a stage name and was taken from a luggage brand.

by Anonymousreply 310/06/2012

He was great in RM, PM; also loved him in Love Story.

by Anonymousreply 410/06/2012

I'd forgotten about The Uninvited, another Ray movie I love.

by Anonymousreply 510/06/2012

Was also in the 2nd season of COLUMBO

by Anonymousreply 610/06/2012

[quote]Late in his career he did an excellent job in a prominent supporting role in the tv miniseries "Rich Man, Poor Man" as Duncan Calderwood. Ed Asner won the Emmy he should have gotten.

An excellent job, yes, but not worthy of an Emmy, no. It was hardly an inspired performance.

[quote]Ed Asner won the Emmy he should have gotten.

Such nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 710/06/2012

He made a movie strapped to Rosie Grier's back..

by Anonymousreply 810/06/2012

Real name - Reginald Truscott Jones. Bald and toupeed for most of his career.

Loved him as the patriarch in "Frogs"!

by Anonymousreply 910/06/2012

He was sitting in a wheel chair in FROGS and had a great view of Sam Elliot's bulge.

by Anonymousreply 1010/06/2012

by Anonymousreply 1110/06/2012

Really was an alki

by Anonymousreply 1210/06/2012

Interesting and long, varied career. He was a comedic male ingenue to many of Hollywood's biggest leading ladies throughout the 1930s and early 1940s until he played against type in The Lost Weekend and was suddenly taken seriously as a formidable and serious leading man.

Personally, I preferred his earlier incarnation which was at its best opposite Ginger Rogers in the aforementioned The Major and the Minor.

There was just a saturnine and sour quality that he acquired as he aged that was not very appealing.

by Anonymousreply 1310/06/2012

After he won the Oscar for LOST WEEKEND, he never had a decent leading role again, and it embittered him. The closest he came was DIAL M, and in that he was upstaged by Grace Kelly and 3D. None of the films he made after LOST WEEKEND really stood the test of time.

And then David Niven got all the parts Milland thought he should have played, including the Oscar for "Separate Tables".

by Anonymousreply 1410/06/2012

R14, Ray Milland was rarely charming or likeable. David Niven was charming and likeable.

by Anonymousreply 1510/06/2012

R15, you've obviously never seen THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR.

Or SEPARATE TABLES, for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 1610/06/2012

Loved him in everything, even a Charlie's Angels in which he played Kelly Garrett's likely biological dad.

While she turned out not to be there was a big gaping hole in the plot -- why did Kelly look so much like Milland's wife (in the portrait)?

by Anonymousreply 1710/07/2012

Notorious pussyhound. Big Bush supporter.

by Anonymousreply 1810/07/2012

I pwayed with Way Miwwand in some gypsy movie, didn't I?

by Anonymousreply 1910/07/2012

Was originally from Wales, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 2010/07/2012

He ended up making absolute dreck - did he have no regard for his reputation, surely he had saved enough money ? Same with Joseph Cotton. But I have never found him anyway interesting, though he is a good cad in Dial M.

by Anonymousreply 2110/07/2012

Thats a good comment r14 - I think Niven is a dreadful ham in Separate Tables - Milland would be quite good in that part, but his stardom had slipped by then, he was not in the same league as the others.

by Anonymousreply 2210/07/2012

Played Ryan O'Neal's father in the 1970's in "Love Story".

by Anonymousreply 2310/07/2012

He was a handsome leading man who just did not age well and, indeed, ended up doing complete drek. Was wonderful in everything UNTIL the late 40's when, as others have noted, the good parts eluded him, somehow.

by Anonymousreply 2410/07/2012

When I was a child, I saw him in an old movie, "Alias, Nick Beal". He played an evil entity dressed in suits. I had nightmares after seeing it, for a while. He won good notices for a silent portrayal, in "The Thief". Rita Gam also was very noticeable as a femme fatale. In the early forties, he had a sympathetic role in a nazi drama. Not a great movie, but he was a hero. The movie was "Till We Meet Again".

by Anonymousreply 2510/07/2012

Didn't he have an affair with Grace Kelley while he was married familly man?

by Anonymousreply 2610/07/2012

That's the rumor, yes, R26

by Anonymousreply 2710/07/2012

But so did Bing Crosby and William Holden, R26/R27...

by Anonymousreply 2810/07/2012

...and Clark Gable and Gary Cooper and James Stewart and.........

by Anonymousreply 2910/07/2012

How did Bob Cummings escape Grace's clutches?

by Anonymousreply 3010/07/2012

Perhaps she just didn't love that Bob!

by Anonymousreply 3110/07/2012

I liked him in "Escape to Witch Mountain."

by Anonymousreply 3210/07/2012

He was in a TV sitcom for two seasons in the 50s - "Meet Mr. McNutley" with Phyllis Avery. He took the role of fastidious Professor Ray McNutley, the head of the English Department at the fictitious Lynnhaven College for Women. Some episodes were written by the show's creator/producers, Joe Connelly and Bob Mosher, four years before they launched "Leave It to Beaver."

by Anonymousreply 3310/07/2012

He and Marlene Dietrich did a terrible movie called "Golden Earrings" together, and Dietrich hated him.

by Anonymousreply 3410/07/2012

He was disturbingly evil in "The Attic," an obscure thriller with Carrie Snodgress. It was one of his late-in-life paycheck parts but he was nastily convincing as a twisted patriarch.

by Anonymousreply 3510/08/2012

There was a movie in '62 he was in called Panic In Year Zero which I loved...Los Angeles gets nuked and everyone is trying to escape.

It scared the bejesus out of me when I was a kid...during the duck and cover times..

by Anonymousreply 3610/08/2012

Except for the few leading men she fucked (John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Gary Cooper), Marlene Dietrich held most of her costars, male and female, in contempt.

by Anonymousreply 3710/08/2012

And Marlene's daughter's book is full of her mother's hilariously bitchy comments about her co-stars, directors and other contemporaries she disliked.

by Anonymousreply 3810/08/2012

Cummings was gay. One costar (Rosemary?) of early tv show just about said so.

She said of the two ppl she was a costar , marlo Thomas in That Girl and Cummings Love that Bob, she said one didn't know how to speak to people and the other one played a playboy and he wasn't one

Please excuse my writting. I'm standing in middle of paint job

by Anonymousreply 3910/08/2012

Bob Cummings had one wife and six or seven kids so if he was indeed gay, he sure went to extreme measures to prove otherwise.

I can only think Rosemary deCamp meant he was not the womanizing playboy he played on Love That Bob but a decent home-loving family man.

by Anonymousreply 4010/08/2012

Yes, DeCamp. Cummings was married more than once. He was always in tabloid saying something stupid

by Anonymousreply 4110/08/2012

Btw, RC was married 5 times

by Anonymousreply 4210/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!