Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Michael Jackson's "Making of Thriller"

Still the most groundbreaking video of all time. A little something in the spirit of Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 4810/06/2012

A classic.

by Anonymousreply 210/05/2012

Definitely a classic. I remember we used to be terrified of it back then. It set the standard for music video-making. Trailers on the set of a music video? A film director helming it? Unheard of before Thriller.

by Anonymousreply 310/05/2012

Great video, he was smart to come up with this, every Halloween his video gets mentioned and remembered.

by Anonymousreply 510/05/2012

It is the best music video ever made.

No artist has come close to topping it.

by Anonymousreply 610/05/2012

Love 'im or hate 'im, no music video has ever come close to the brilliance of Thriller. It was the first video that made people accept the medium as a true art form. Even Madonna's groundbreaking videos come up short compared to Michael's.

by Anonymousreply 710/05/2012

Who the hell are you, R1/R4? Prince? A thread killer? If it sucks, then why the fuck do you keep coming into the thread to comment on it? The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Here's the full video in its groundbreaking entirety...

by Anonymousreply 810/05/2012

You can say that again, R7. Every pop artist since the early '80s has been trying to match it, but they've all failed. I'd venture to say that the mini-movie his sister Janet did for her Rhythm Nation album comes close.

by Anonymousreply 910/05/2012

*cough* Girls on Film *cough*

by Anonymousreply 1010/05/2012

One would think since videos were made to promote singles that spending all of that money and time making such a great video Thriller would have been number one for weeks. But Epic released the song so late that it didn't even reach #1. It peaked at #4 on the hot 100.

by Anonymousreply 1110/05/2012

Michael was inspired to make this video after seeing Landis' "American Werewolf in London". The story goes, once filming had wrapped, Michael began to have reservations about putting it out, as it would conflict with his Jehova's Witness background. He ordered the master copy of the video to be destroyed, but his entertainment lawyer convinced him that Bela Lugosi (whom Michael was a fan of) was very religious, and put anti-vampirism disclaimers on his movies because of this. It was a lie, but it worked, because Michael was convinced to put a disclaimer at the top of "Thriller" and let it see the light of day.

by Anonymousreply 1210/05/2012

Surely you jest, R10.

It was before Thriller, but it didn't have nearly the massive impact.

by Anonymousreply 1310/05/2012

[quote]One would think since videos were made to promote singles that spending all of that money and time making such a great video Thriller would have been number one for weeks. But Epic released the song so late that it didn't even reach #1. It peaked at #4 on the hot 100.

I agree. If it were nowadays, that would have been an assured #1. "Thriller" was actually declining in sales when they decided to make a third and final video for the album. The video ultimately saved the album.

by Anonymousreply 1410/05/2012

R15, your continuing to make an ass out of yourself by coming into the thread of a video that you "hate" speaks volumes about your insane masochistic personality. You seem miserable and bitter.

by Anonymousreply 1610/05/2012

Responding to this, r10

[quote]Trailers on the set of a music video? A film director helming it? Unheard of before Thriller.

Thriller was huge, no doubt but not the first, that's all I was getting at. Neither was GoF, for that matter!

by Anonymousreply 1710/05/2012

i also think it was interesting that there were only 3 videos for Thriller.

I would have liked to have seen a video for Wanna Be Startin Something.

by Anonymousreply 1810/05/2012

Definitely, R18, and "Human Nature" too.

by Anonymousreply 1910/05/2012

I'm not R15, but I agree with this poster whole-heartedly.

You are an idiot with ridiculously shitty taste if you think "Thriller" was groundbreaking.

Stop slobbering and quit posting. Go outside and tell the first five people you see that you are a blithering tool!

XXX OOO

by Anonymousreply 2010/05/2012

Groundbreaking video, will last forever.

by Anonymousreply 2110/05/2012

MJ didn't have a girlfriend then, and made a great big splashy expensive video about scaring away a pretty girl.

Yet, people still believed he was a regular straight guy.

by Anonymousreply 2210/05/2012

I still like to watch Thriller when Halloween comes around, still can't do the dance routine though.

by Anonymousreply 2310/05/2012

No, R20, you're much worse. The pee-yellow of trolldar belies your "hatred" for this groundbreaking video.

by Anonymousreply 2410/05/2012

[quote]You are an idiot with ridiculously shitty taste if you think "Thriller" was groundbreaking

No, my dear, you are the idiot for not seeing how groundbreaking it was. Now, don't you have a game of hide the salami with the neighbor's kid to get back to?

by Anonymousreply 2510/05/2012

Speaking of doing the dance, R23, there are some hilarious videos on Youtube of various weddings where the members of the wedding party do the dance.

by Anonymousreply 2610/05/2012

R26, lol, I'm gonna have to check those out!

by Anonymousreply 2710/05/2012

This is what the street the main dance was filmed on looks like today, from Google Maps

by Anonymousreply 2810/05/2012

2012 is the 30th anniversary of "Thriller." Does that make you feel old?

by Anonymousreply 2910/05/2012

LOL, yes, R29.

by Anonymousreply 3110/05/2012

Still looks pretty much the same R28.

by Anonymousreply 3210/05/2012

I've heard that Michael had no idea that his co-star, Ola Ray, had posed in Playboy prior to this video. She said in an interview that she had a major crush on him, and that he would say to her "Guess who's coming to the set today...Brooke Shields!" And she'd be all "So what? I don't want to hear about Brooke Shields, I want to talk about us."

by Anonymousreply 3310/05/2012

You were ill long before Thriller came out, R30. I think it scared you.

by Anonymousreply 3410/05/2012

[quote]i also think it was interesting that there were only 3 videos for Thriller.

I read this and immediately thought, fuck, this guy doesn't know what he's talking about. But, shit, it's true.

I guess it was from Bad onward that (for a while at least) pretty much every MJ single had a video.

by Anonymousreply 3510/05/2012

[quote]Groundbreaking video, will last forever.

For sure.

[italic]Voted as the most influential pop music video of all time, "Thriller" proved to have a profound effect on popular culture, and was named "a watershed moment for the music industry" for its unprecedented merging of filmmaking and music. Guinness World Records listed it in 2006 as the "most successful music video", selling over 9 million units. In 2009, the video was inducted into the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress, the first music video to ever receive this honor, for being “culturally, historically or aesthetically” significant. It is also the most watched music video of all time, seen by more than 4 billion people all over the world.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 3610/05/2012

So what. That vid still sucks hard.

It lacks theology and geometry.

by Anonymousreply 3710/05/2012

Let the cave people enjoy their shadows.

by Anonymousreply 3810/05/2012

I love you, r38.

by Anonymousreply 3910/05/2012

[quote] Love 'im or hate 'im, no music video has ever come close to the brilliance of Thriller

Scads of movie musicals have incredible dance numbers in them. Thriller was no different than clips from those films. Top dancers, directors, crews have done it before. The world existed before Gen X discovered tv.

by Anonymousreply 4010/05/2012

I never cared much for the song "Thriller." "Human Nature" was my favorite song from that album.

by Anonymousreply 4110/06/2012

Choreographed by the great Michael Peters who also danced with Diana Ross in Central Park

by Anonymousreply 4210/06/2012

It's close to midnight...

by Anonymousreply 4310/06/2012

Michael Peters also choreographed "Beat It" and Pat Benatar's "Love is a Battlefield" video. I loved his expressive, broadway-esque dance moves.

by Anonymousreply 4410/06/2012

[quote]Scads of movie musicals have incredible dance numbers in them. Thriller was no different than clips from those films

Yes, but those were [italic]films[/italic]. "Thriller" was a music video. It hadn't been done before in that medium. It was a game changer.

by Anonymousreply 4510/06/2012

[qoute]Still the most groundbreaking video of all time.

Ehhhh, I'd rank it behind GnR's "November Rain" and Madonna's "Express Yourself."

by Anonymousreply 4610/06/2012

Groundbreaking, definitely. Anyone who thinks that this video didn't break new ground is just an idiot.

But actually, he did kind of 'beat' this video. His best work as a video, and dancer technically is 'Ghosts'.

If you haven't seen that, you haven't seen Michael Jackson's finest example of acting, dancing and even an acapella section. It. Is. Incredible. Watch it. The full version is 39 minutes long, and he also plays the old man (the mayor). Best part is '2 Bad' section. At least watch that!

by Anonymousreply 4710/06/2012

[quote]Ehhhh, I'd rank it behind GnR's "November Rain" and Madonna's "Express Yourself."

And what's sad is that you probably typed that with a straight face.

by Anonymousreply 4810/06/2012
Need more help? Click Here.