Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did Schwarzenegger anticipate how much negative publicity his book would attract?

On the heels of the Biggest Celeb blunders thread. Is there such a thing as bad publicity? He's being raked over the coals every time he makes an appearance and the reviews are awful. Is this the karmic bitch slap we all want or will he really make a comeback?

The Guardian:

[quote]From David Niven to Danniella Westbrook, from Nina Simone to Nikki Sixx: when it comes to celebrity autobiographies LiS has read them all. But never have we finished one disliking the author as much as we ended up disliking Schwarzenegger. So congratulations, Arnie! You win the laurel of LiS's most unpleasant, creepiest celebrity autobiography ever!

L.A. Times:

[quote]So Schwarzenegger went from sexual harassment allegations as he entered office to a sex scandal on his way out of office. There's a neat symmetry to it all, especially when you consider that while he was governor, all of California got screwed. The man who was against borrowing broke borrowing records. The man who said he didn't need to raise campaign donations raised more than anyone. The man who replaced a governor with a 22% popularity rating ended up matching that all-time low. The man who promised to balance the budget left office with record deficits.

Other L.A. Times:

[quote]Arnold and men like him are supreme narcissists. Sure, they are charming, dynamic, seductive, even magnetic, but the world beyond their own minds and bodies is an abstraction. Other people are moons revolving around their sun. They are emotionally detached. All they really need in life are themselves.

[quote]Schwarzenegger’s book is an example of crass and callous self-promotion. Maybe in a few years it would have been OK to publish a tell-all tome, but this close to the moment of pain he inflicted on his family, it is just plain creepy and cruel.

Of course, there are always dolts like this who was at a Toronto appearance:

[quote]“Just saw Arnold @schwarzenegger after standing in line for 7 hours. Worth it? Every second,” another fan, Liem, wrote on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 2510/06/2012

I think Schwarzenegger is like Rielle Hunter in that he is oblivious as to how offensive people find him. He thinks he's cool!

by Anonymousreply 110/05/2012

The funniest part, which I just read about today, is USC the Schwarzenegger Institute for State and Global Policy for which he and his buddies paid $20 million. They're supposed to discuss post-partisan politics, whatever that might mean in this era. And:

[quote]Officials say he'll also take an active role in teaching at USC. The institute's academic director, Nancy Staudt, referred to him several times as "professor Schwarzenegger."

This is the man who admitted lying that he had plans for CA's economy after declaring his candidacy and pretended he had a bad phone connection when Matt Lauer called to ask what they were. Prof. Arnie?

by Anonymousreply 210/05/2012

Once upon a time, Schwarzenegger WAS cool. He was the perfect action hero for the Reagan and Bush I years, and his egotism and gloating all fitted in with the "We're #1!" attitude of that time.

It might be so confusing to him that these qualities now seem so out of date and crude. But it's probably more likely he doesn't even notice. He's the sort of guy who probably doesn't even bother reading reviews of his memoirs: why should he, since he knows they're great? He dictated them to his ghost writer, after all. Anything that comes from him must be pure gold in his weird little worldview.

I don't feel sorry for Maria, because she knew what he was when she married him. If the children didn't stand to inherit so much from him I'd feel sorry for them because they know most of the whole world knows their dad for what he is: an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 310/05/2012

Arnie reminds me of Victor Newman.

by Anonymousreply 410/05/2012

I just picked it at the library and it's 618 pages! What the hell kind of ego writes his autobiography with 618 pages and another 23 pages of acknowledgments and index?

by Anonymousreply 510/05/2012

Bill Clinton, I guess, but he had something to write about.

Speaking of the index, the Guardian reviewer notes that there is no entry for "Baena, Mildred."

by Anonymousreply 610/05/2012

That poor Baena boy looks just like Arnold.

by Anonymousreply 710/05/2012

He was born with dollar signs in his eyes.

by Anonymousreply 810/05/2012

Before, pols were sensitive about how their actions played with the public. A is one of the new breed who doesn't give a fuck.

His attitude is, "What are you going to do about it? Beat me up?"

by Anonymousreply 910/06/2012

Thanks R1: very insightful LA Times quotes.

by Anonymousreply 1010/06/2012

[quote] I just picked it at the library and it's 618 pages! What the hell kind of ego writes his autobiography with 618 pages

You know that a ghost writer had to work his ass off on this to try and make arnold seem half way decent and arnie still comes of as the piece of shit that he is. Can you imagine the things that he said and all the things the writer didn't use? If arnold wrote this it would be 4,000 pages of insanity. Arnold must be truly fucking repugnant in every single way. When people who have money behave like pigs, most people seem to make excuses and exceptions for them

And Maria is a horrible example to women. She's a joke. After all the shit he did to her (cheating on her for years), she quit a job she loved at NBC and helped him run for governor, knowing that all those accusations about him grabbing and sexually harassing women were true. She got up and told America those women were all lying.

Everyone (female) who has ever worked with him said he grabs women sexually and comes on to them. Linda Hamilton was talking about him in an interview (possibley w Graham Norton) long before he ran for governor and she told about how she had a twin sister who came on set (Arnold didn't know it was the twin) and he started grabbing her ass or her boobs and saying sexually explicit things to her. The sister was shocked and then Linda walked up and then arnold was shocked. That type of behavior was standard operating procedure for arnold. And maria defended him. what a dopey chump of a joke she is. I'm sure she'll have her own book coming out soon. I'm surprised she hasn't taken him back

by Anonymousreply 1110/06/2012

It also takes focus from things like his commuting the sentence of the son of a political ally who was convicted of murder. It was one of his last acts in office and one of his worst. Much worse than a kiss and tell book.

by Anonymousreply 1210/06/2012

They're not LA Times quotes.

by Anonymousreply 1310/06/2012

His movie career is long dead and it was a fluke he was elected governor. So any publicity is good for him.

Arnold is a fame whore. One guy who knew him on the bodybuilding circuit said, "Arnold would literally eat dog shit, if it thought it would improve his physique so he could win a show."

by Anonymousreply 1410/06/2012

[quote]They're not LA Times quotes.

Yes, they are. I'm not sure where you got the idea. Google Steve Lopez (for the first quote) and David Horsey for the second. I compressed the Lopez quote into one paragraph to use the DL quoting function.

by Anonymousreply 1510/06/2012

In Maria's defense, she was forcefed that "turn the other way" bullshit that most Kennedy wives endure.

She has said that she contemplated leaving Arnold several times, but when she asked Eunice for advice, she would always say that if you truly love someone, you stick with them through everything. Since she did truly love Arnold, she decided to stay and put up with the nonsense.

The kids see through Arnold's bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 1610/06/2012

Has anyone kept up with Patrick on Twitter (I think that's his oldest son. The one who started using Shriver as a surname). He had some rather frank things to say back when the the maid's son emerged. I have no idea what he goes by on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 1710/06/2012

Do not imagine that a much-criticized Arnold Schwarzenegger shuffles along avoiding the spotlight and bowing his head in shame.

The former governor of California travels in a world in which he is the brightest star.

On a book tour for his memoir, "Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story," he is surrounded by fans of his action movies, fans of his bodybuilding, fans of his rags-to-riches immigrant story. They are a forgiving crowd who adore him and will wait hours for the chance to tell him so. Citybeat

Wristbands and standby slots for his Los Angeles book signing at 6 p.m. Friday at the Grove shopping center were snatched up by early Friday morning. How early? A line had already formed before 5 a.m.

Rhett Crosby, 37, left Phoenix Thursday night to get there and waited outside the Barnes & Noble until 1:30 a.m. Friday morning. When security guards told him he had to leave, he went to the shopping center's garage and slept briefly in his car. He was first in line outside the bookstore at 4 a.m.

"You've probably found the No. 1 Arnold fan in the world," he said. It started when he saw a photograph of Schwarzenegger posing when he was 8.

"My father was a bodybuilder too, so we worked out together and did a lot of the Arnold workouts," Crosby said.

Asked if he was bothered by Schwarzenegger's affair with his housekeeper and by the way his hero kept news of the son the two had from his wife, Maria Shriver, Crosby said: "I'm a Christian, and I know that there was only one perfect person that ever walked this Earth and that's Jesus Christ."

by Anonymousreply 1810/06/2012

This was the guy the Republicans wanted to change the Constitution for so that he could run for President.

by Anonymousreply 1910/06/2012

What other kind of publicity would anyone expect him to garner?

He's simply syphoning off all the cash others might earn from news of his behavior and destroying any and all competitors.

It's typical baby boomer behavior.

He probably surrounds himself with hero-worshippers and dependents - a Mel Gibson minus the bi-polar interesting bits.

by Anonymousreply 2010/06/2012

Gee, a straight guy who thinks with his dick! How unusual!!

by Anonymousreply 2110/06/2012

[quote]Asked if he was bothered by Schwarzenegger's affair with his housekeeper and by the way his hero kept news of the son the two had from his wife, Maria Shriver, Crosby said: "I'm a Christian, and I know that there was only one perfect person that ever walked this Earth and that's Jesus Christ."

Does this not say it all? This guy's the typical Arnie/Jesse Ventura voter. Probably never voted in his life, but would register to vote for some action hero.

Gotta love the blase "Christian" take on the way he's currently dragging his family into the spotlight and humiliating them.

by Anonymousreply 2210/06/2012

He's a raving egomaniac - to him there is no such thing as negative publicity.

After all, this is the man who thought he might run for President...

And the Repigs agreed with him...

by Anonymousreply 2310/06/2012

But, if Obama fathered a bastard, fucks like Crosby would be all holier-than-thou self-righteous and condemning and all this "no one else was perfect except Jesus" shit would be out the window.

by Anonymousreply 2410/06/2012

Oh good Christ. We're in for a treat tomorrow. An interview with David Gregory.

[quote]Ahead lies “Meet the Press” and Jay Leno.

Also noted in the linked article: The Washington Post sponsored one of his promotional events. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 2510/06/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!