Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sleepless in Seattle

Finally saw this. Two thoughts:

1) Technology was so different, but in a way did it make things seem less stressful or complicated by not having as many options? Remember not being able to check email on your phone?

2) The film itself is awful. The first 20 mins I'll admit got me emotional, and I loved Rosie, but the rest of the film is just prolonged stalking. I like to think they get out of the elevator and Tom Hanks puts Meg Ryan in a cab and says bye.

by Anonymousreply 1810/09/2012

Probably the peak of Tom and Meg's looks.

by Anonymousreply 110/07/2012

Just how obese are you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 210/07/2012

I don't care how sappy or corny it is, I love the ending when they all meet up at the Empire State Building and get into the elevator with Jimmy Durante sing Make Someone Happy, gets me every time.

by Anonymousreply 310/08/2012

The soundtrack irritated me for some reason. Maybe it's because it feels like so many other rom-coms have done it. Also, it has a touch of Woody Allen about it, in the annoying sense.

by Anonymousreply 410/08/2012

Meg Ryan's character already lived with a great guy. I never could get invested in her obsession with Tom Hanks' character. Never could buy Tom Hanks as a leading man. Have never found him attractive.

Meg Ryan did look absolutely beautiful in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 510/08/2012

I feel sorry for the Tom Hanks character. Not because his wife died, but because he's now going to have to deal with a high-maintenance loon.

by Anonymousreply 610/08/2012

I started finding Tom Hanks oddly attractive in Philadelphia when he had that buzzcut or whatever it was.

by Anonymousreply 710/08/2012

I think these movies tap into something that exists within people -- that longing hope someday, somehow, someway you'll meet your leading man or leading lady and it'll all work out and cue the song.

It doesn't happen though. That's why there are movies.

There are kind of weird stalkerish elements in it SIS.

I liked the relationship between Tom and the kid.

Loved Rosie in this. (What a big FU to that acting teacher at BU that told her the part of Rhoda Morgenstern had already been cast.)

Meg was cute.

That's it.

by Anonymousreply 810/08/2012

I had a friend who worked as a gate agent at SeaTac when they were filming there. He got into trouble because he kept paging himself during takes.

by Anonymousreply 910/08/2012

Meg's clothes in the movie were awful. Baggy, down to her ankles skirts, hideous footwear. In fact almost every movie I can think of that she's been has had her dressed very badly. Does she have bad legs or something?

by Anonymousreply 1010/08/2012

One of the scenes I like - when Sam first spots Annie in the airport:

by Anonymousreply 1110/08/2012

And when Annie and Sam spot each other by the road:

by Anonymousreply 1210/08/2012

And the ending which is perfect:

by Anonymousreply 1310/08/2012

Though less popular, I much prefer You've Got Mail.

by Anonymousreply 1410/08/2012

Meg and Tom made a great rom-com pairing in both SIS and YGM.

She was so beautiful back then. Too bad she messed with her looks with such extreme plastic surgery once Russell Crowe fucked her over.

by Anonymousreply 1510/09/2012

Only good thing about the movie was the houseboat.

by Anonymousreply 1610/09/2012

[quote]Remember not being able to check email on your phone?

Barely. Wasn't that when dinosaurs roamed the earth?

I remember not having email or a cell phone. I'm 40. Not everyone is 23, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1710/09/2012

I still don't check email on my phone. I'm 48 and have calling/texting on my cell phone only. I don't require or want the internet or access to email constantly and am unwilling to pay the cost. I have no need to be "plugged" in all the time. I also avoid yakking on my phone in public constantly. Read a fucking book or something folks. People now seem unable to be alone with their own thoughts and require constant stimulation. I worry about the future generations..

by Anonymousreply 1810/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!