Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Anyone Else Having a Big Spider Year?

(Claudine Longet need not respond)

This year there are spiders EVERYWHERE at my house. My garden and planters were filled with webs containing small, shiny green spiders. I've never seen those spiders before.

I just looked at the roof of my front porch and there are a bazillion spider egg cases up there. My deck has a spider web going from the roof down to my grill and then over to my deck door. It contains a giant spider of unknown origin.

Last night a spider with red legs and a grey abdomen escaped my efforts to kill it after it startled the hell out of me by running across my shopping notepad while I was writing on it. This morning, I was watching a spider in my kitchen weave a web near the window when I pressed the "boil" button on my teakettle and a big spider came dancing out of the spout.

WTF?

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 4603/04/2013

It loves you and wants to be near you.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 110/04/2012

Yes -- I have noticed more spiders than usual in my house, most often in the bathroom. They are brown spiders, fairly good-sized.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 210/04/2012

It's the weather and lack of food. They are coming in for warmth and finding bugs.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 310/04/2012

OP and R2 where do you live? We had a "buggy" summer this year because we did not get a freeze last winter. Lots of spiders and aphids and thrips chewed the shit out of all my plants and I've never had a problem as bad as it was this year.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 410/04/2012

Finally, they've joined us.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 510/04/2012

OP, may I have your stuff? Your end is near, spider bait!

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 610/04/2012

We await Sauron's commands.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 710/04/2012

R4, I'm in the DC area. We'be also had some fierce mosquitoes this summer. I've gotten more bites this year than I have since I was a kid.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 810/04/2012

If you're in the northeast, it is because we had such a mild winter with almost no snow, except for the bizarre Halloween blizzard. The cold will kill off a lot of the next year's crop of spiders and mosquitoes and other pests.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 910/04/2012

I am clearing spider webs off the lights in my basement on a daily basis. It's especially annoying because we have a finished basement and spend a ton of time there.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 1010/04/2012

Ugh my husband woke up with a big, nasty spider bite on his forearm. Good to know this isn't an isolated thing. It's supposed to be 50 on Saturday here in the NYC area. Hopefully that kills all these damn things.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 1110/04/2012

I saw a spider on the windshield of my car. I put the wipers on and realized he was on the inside of the car. Eventually he wandered into the vent and I put the defrost on Hi and never saw it again.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 1210/04/2012

I'm in the northeast along the coast.

The spiders I'd never seem before are orchard spiders, according to google image. They made webs on virtually every bush and flower in my yard.

I had a horrible problem with sowbugs this year, which ate many of my plants. I think they may have been transported in by mulch my landscaper put down. Nothing kills those sowbugs, not even Sluggo Plus. Somebody nearby bought some guinea fowl and they come through my yard. I tried to interest them in sowbugs and slugs and they turned their beaks up at them.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 1310/04/2012

Yes, really big ones too. Small body but really long, spindly legs. Huge.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 1410/04/2012

Yes, OP, I'm in NYC and there is a bumper crop of waterbugs. There are also tons of house sparrows and starlings, too.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 1510/04/2012

I've had brown recluse (the Arizona variety...slightly less poisonous) all over the house, and been bitten every so often. They like to eat moths and gnats, which I've had in abundance. They wander around at night, and are attracted to the areas around and under lights, where their dinner is often located.

But I've had good results by placing a number of glue traps around...yikes you can catch a lot. Eradicating their food source helps, although they can go for a long time without food. Cleaning up clutter with this species is very important, and removing nests immediately upon discovery is helpful.

How to catch a stationary or slow moving spider: squirt a small amount of hand sanitizer gel into a transparent bottle around the rim. I use old pill bottles for this. The isopropyl alchohol fumes gas 'em and they get stuck in the gel: mission accomplished. Isopropyl in a spray bottle works on the fast moving ones, but may not kill them outright.

One weird thing about being bitten by Arizona brown spiders is that you become slightly immune. The bites can still be nasty, though, and would be a real hazard to non-adults.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 1610/04/2012

I have jumping spiders all over my house. I swear they are a cross between a cricket and a spider. My suspicion is that with all of this genetic engineering going on, they're creating new insects. These things are huge and disgusting.

I also suspect my exterminator sprayed the eggs all over my house in order to get me to renew the contract. It's getting to the point where I'm ready to sign the dotted line.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 1710/04/2012

It's this OP...

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 1810/04/2012

I spray them with Aquanet and then run screaming from the room.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 1910/04/2012

Yes! I can't sleep at night!

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 2010/04/2012

R17 consider jumping spiders as little pets.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 2110/04/2012

[quote] I have jumping spiders all over my house. I swear they are a cross between a cricket and a spider

That's what I thought when I first saw cave crickets. They are tan colored and spidery looking. Cave crickets are blind and will jump AT you rather than away from you.

They are ugly and frightening looking, but harmless.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 2210/04/2012

"Please get it off me!"

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 2310/04/2012

Them Arizona spiders is BIG, R18!

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 2410/04/2012

I had a big black widowy looking spider in my garage, it just hung there looking like it was daring anyone to mess with it, but I got it with a broom. I hope I never run into a brown recluse spider - I saw an episode of "Infested" and one of them bit a man and he had to have his arm amputated and almost died.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 2510/04/2012

Speaking of gardens, did anyone else have their impatiens all die of downy mildew? A flat I bought from Lowe's was infected and it spread to all of my impatiens. Now I think I can't plant impatiens for a few years because the spores stay in the soil.

New guinea impatiens don't come down with the disease, but they are more expensive because you can't buy them in flats. I put the impatiens cell packs around in spots for filler that are too small for pots of New Guinea impatiens

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 2610/04/2012

What does it look like R26? I had some kind of black mildewy stuff overtake my plants and even some trees this year. I've never had this problem before.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 2710/04/2012

First, the impatiens stop producing new flowers. You have a lot of green leaves and stems, but no flowers. Then, the leaves turn yellow then brown. If you look at the bottom side of the leaves you will see a grayish to white fine powder. The leaves fall off and only bare stems are left. Then the stems die.

There is no effective treatment.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 2810/04/2012

Global warming. It's really starting to kick in now. We're reaping what we sowed, motherfuckers.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 2910/04/2012

It was not a banner year for hummingbirds. I only had two coming and going when I normally have 4 or 5. I can tell how many I have by sitting outdoors and watching them duel over the front porch feeders.

I still have monarchs and painted ladies at my butterfly bushes. If you want your butterfly bushes to get huge, then deadhead them after each bloom. They'll bloom into October and the bushes will expand. If you want to keep your butterfly bushes small, don't deadhead them.

It's that time of year now when the flies slow down. Maybe that's why there are so many spiders inside houses. They're trying to stock up on house flies.

Pretty soon you'll be seeing praying mantises on your window and door screens if you have a garden. It's time for them to die. Don't ask me why they are attracted to screens as they are dying, but I see them every year.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 3010/04/2012

We have seen far more spiders than usual and shrubs, outdoor furniture etc are thick with webs. Very unusual.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 3110/04/2012

Salutations!!!

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 3210/04/2012

London is in the grip of a spider takeover. Seriously, I can't walk out the door without walking through an orb spider's home.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 3310/04/2012

R22, but these are dark brown...very dark brown.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 3410/04/2012

Some cave crickets are dark

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 3510/04/2012

All our impatiens died off this year, r26 :(

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 3610/04/2012

Use white vinegar on the soil. Last couple of years I've treated the hot spots in my yard with vinegar at the end of the season when the sun is still strong. Kills off spores and fungii and larva and slugs. The worms run away for a while and then during the winter I dump coffee grounds, lots and lots of coffee grounds, on the soil which attracts the worms again. The good thing about the coffee grounds is that you know they've been sterilized and they aren't contaminated like commercial mulch and fertilizer.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 3710/04/2012

Now that you mention it I guess the spider population is a little more than usual but if I find them in the house they either have to be caught somehow and cooperate in a tissue until I throw them outside or else they go to spider heaven (or hell?). I suppose I should try using a jar to trap them in the house then throw them outside. I try not to kill them as I figure nature intended them to live somehow.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 3810/05/2012

It's the opposite of what R3 said. Because of the mild winter, bug populations have exploded. Now we have more spiders because their food source has increased. You should be happy they are there. They are eating mosquitos and other pests.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 3910/05/2012

I had a spider infestation in my attached garage, eventually they were showing up in my kitchen and living room area since the door directly into the garage is on the 1st floor.

You need to try diatomaceous earth. You can get it at Lowe's or HD or most garden stores for cheap. It's a fine white powder made up of crushed diatoms; sprinkle small amounts of it on doorstops, windowsills, around the edge of the floor or wherever you've found webs, ants, etc. The bugs get a small bit of it on them, it dries out and cracks their bony shells.

I actually dusted my entire garage earlier this summer with DE (wear a mask over nose/mouth when you do this as the dust can be irritating to the respiratory tract). Just a small amount; no evidence of webs or nests afterwards for the whole summer. You don't need to use a lot, a fine dusting usually works well.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 4010/05/2012

Im having a big mushroom year. Literally. Which is doubly weird because we're technically in a drought. But my yard was COVERED in these disgusting, huge, mustard-yellow mushrooms one day. They're an ugly blue-black inside and under the cap... a dirty mustard yellow-brown on the outside. And up to the size of a closed fist... rather big.

I picked ten gallons of them from my tiny front yard... two full 5-gallon buckets worth. Disgusting.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 4110/05/2012

I call the spiders with big butts Bernice after my 6th grade bitch English teacher--short in stature but was half ass.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 4210/05/2012

Jambalaya, crawdad pie and a filet gumbo

For tonight I'm gonna see my ma cherie mi o

Filet Jar, be bizarre and be gay-o

Son of a bitch we'll have big fun with a homo.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 4310/05/2012

I'm having a bad mold/moss/algae year. All over the outside of my house, my shed, my porch.

All of my dwarf English boxwoods are dying. DO NOT buy dwarf English boxwoods. There is a disease that is ravaging these plants. It's a shame - they are lovely little bushes with very a nice shape. But they will die

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 4411/12/2012

Lots of spiders and bites, swollen around the eyes.

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 4511/12/2012

Yes

I took a video of one that was crawling on my monitor

by Eating My Curds and Wheyreply 4603/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.