Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Those teens who come door to door trying to sell newspaper subscriptions... pay for college scholarships - they're a scam, right?

by Anonymousreply 3204/16/2015

Yes,a scam.

Or even worse. A few years ago, in a nearby small city, one of these kids selling magazine subscriptions knocked on the door of an elderly woman and murdered her.

Just tell them you aren't interested and never let them into your house. That's what happened to the lady who was murdered. She let the guy use the bathroom, found him in her bedroom going through her jewelry and he stabbed her to death.

by Anonymousreply 110/03/2012

This thread's original post. . .It's a word-for-word repeat of a thread we did ages ago, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 210/03/2012

Yes, it's a scam.'s a new Broadway musical. Your call.

by Anonymousreply 310/03/2012

Don't answer the door & call the cops if they are in your neighborhood - they most often don't get a permit to sell and need one to go door to door.

by Anonymousreply 709/09/2013

Scam city

by Anonymousreply 809/09/2013

Traveling Youth Crews Performing Door-to-Door Sales–One of the Five Most Dangerous Jobs for Teens in the U.S.

June 6, 2012

The startling discovery of the remains of a long-missing 18-year-old girl, Jennifer Hammond, in October 2009, served as a painful reminder that traveling door-to-door sales jobs are very dangerous. A Littleton, Colorado native, Hammond had last been seen in 2009 in a mobile home park in Milton, New York. She failed to show up at a designated pick-up spot two hours later. A hunter found her remains in a forest in Saratoga County, New York six years later.

Parents should not allow their children to take a traveling sales job. The dangers are too great. Without parental supervision, teens are at too great a risk of being victimized. Traveling sales crew workers are typically asked to go to the doors of strangers and sometimes enter their homes—a very dangerous thing for a young person to do.

Under pressure and scrutiny from advocacy groups and state law enforcement entities, it appears that the traveling sales sector today rarely hires individuals under 18. However, in recent years, there have been isolated reports of minors–and more frequent reports of 18- to 21-year-olds–being hired.

Frequent crime reports involving traveling sales crews suggests that the environment they present is not a safe one for teen workers or young adults.

In March 2011, two men in Spartanburg County South Carolina called police and asked them to take them to jail because jail seemed like it would be better alternative than the traveling sales crew they were in. Vincent Mercento, 19, and Adam Bassi, 21, told police they needed to quit going door to door asking people to buy magazines. They said they were tired of being wet and selling magazines and tired of the abuse from the company that employed them which seemed “cult-like.” Their lives were so bad they thought jail would be better.

How Dangerous are Traveling Sales Crews?

In February 2011, Columbia County Georgia authorities arrested a traveling sales crew of 17 individuals for peddling without a license. Five of the arrestees had criminal records, including one individual on probation for child molestation, another with a conviction for statutory rape, and a third for not registering as a sex offender. Would you want your son or daughter to travel in such company?

more at link

by Anonymousreply 909/09/2013

R6, how old are you?

by Anonymousreply 1009/09/2013

WTF is this shit?

I am a teen and I work selling newspaper subscriptions to the Sacramento Bee. This isn't a fucking scam because I had my mom sign up for it and she started receiving the paper on D-Day's 70th Anniversary.

Our check goes towards a college bond and we get 15 credits in highschool.

You guys need to grow the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 1106/10/2014

If I had a teenage son or daughter, I would never let them go door to door selling subscriptions as it's too dangerous. Webcamming for money on the other hand is much more sensible as you can do it from your own home.

by Anonymousreply 1306/10/2014

Whoring for tokens will get you through college!

by Anonymousreply 1406/10/2014

Anyone who comes to your door or cold-calls you is likely to be a scam. Period.

by Anonymousreply 1506/10/2014

Tell them you'd be delighted to subscribe, if they have your favorites; The Saturday Evening Post, Life, Look, and Cue Magazine.

by Anonymousreply 1606/10/2014

Anyone who opens their front door to a complete stranger they're not expecting, is a dummy.

by Anonymousreply 1706/10/2014

99% of the time it's a huge scam.

Ashley.... (R11) how about you go back to Facebook and hang out with friends your own age or go take some selfies and post them on Instagram. You are out of your league here and it shows. And some free advise.... Instead of selling worthless newspaper subscriptions to earn 15 high school credits, why don't you actually take the classes and earn the 15 credits and learn something at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 1806/10/2014

Hey Ashley, are you one of the two teenage girls who are posting flyers around East Sac advertising dog walking services for $5/20 min.?

I just love that these two girls included their cell numbers, but also put their pictures on dozens of photocopied flyers posted on every tree, lamppost and telephone pole in sight. It's quaint, but it ain't the 1950s anymore. I wonder how many harassing texts they've gotten from pervs. I'm kind of shocked their parents let them do it.

We had a magazine scam in the neighborhood about 5 years ago. Some teens were going around saying they were raising funds for their soccer team to go play in a youth tournament at Wembley stadium in London. Sadly for them, I'm a bit of a soccer fanatic. The first question that threw them off was "Which Wembley?" And they couldn't answer any soccer-related questions. They scrammed pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 1906/10/2014

It's magazine subscriptions, damn it !

by Anonymousreply 2006/10/2014

If you're selling Black Inches, you're welcome at my front door, but I'll be expecting a live demonstration as part of your sales pitch.

by Anonymousreply 2106/10/2014

Last weekend some guy was hunting through my garbage looking at papers! (Not mine, fortunately, I shred mine). When I challenged him he said, he was "looking for items of value" and had the nerve to ask me for a bottle of water. I shooed him away. Identity thieves don't even think they are doing something wrong nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 2206/10/2014

And, yes I have seen teens selling subscriptions to the Bee, but it hasn't been door to door. I have a feeling the Bee's legal dept. wouldn't like that too much. I have seen teens at tables at grocery stores (with supervision) selling Bee subscriptions.

by Anonymousreply 2306/10/2014

Of course it's not a scam. My brothers girlfriend bought a subscription to Vanity Fair for the very reasonable price of $75 a year. And though it's been a year and she hasn't received a single magazine, I'm sure the young men who sold her the subscription are working hard to expedite her order.

by Anonymousreply 2406/10/2014

Considering college costs thousands of dollars, how many magazine subscriptions would one have to sell?

Of course it's a scam. That said, I believe they are really selling magazine subscriptions--they're just not for college money.

by Anonymousreply 2506/10/2014

[all posts by childish idiot removed]

by Anonymousreply 2606/10/2014

I once asked a "College Mover" to conjugate some irregular verbs and he had no idea what I was talking about! SCAM!

by Anonymousreply 2706/12/2014

Back in 2008, I signed up for one of those things. I thought it was only supposed to be a temporary thing.

Later, bill collectors started calling me saying that I owed money for the subscription.

I said, "Absolutely not!"

And then I started singing to the bill collector over the phone, "And I am telling you... I'm not paying... this is the worst scam that I've ever had, and your calls just make me so damn mad, no no there's no way, no no there's no way I'm paying for this scam, I'm not paying for this scam, I want none of this sleaze! I won't pay, I won't pay, and you, and you, and you, leave me alone please!! Mmmm mmmm mmmm, leave me alone please!!!"

The bill collector on the other line was silent. He didn't know what to say.

by Anonymousreply 2806/12/2014

R11/Ashley is a paid WHORE.

by Anonymousreply 2906/12/2014

We have peddlers come through all the time, selling dollar store garbage. They're all visibly methed out.

by Anonymousreply 3006/12/2014

Where are you located, R30?

by Anonymousreply 3106/12/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!