Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

People who owe you money

Am I wrong to be mad? I'm not talking about giving someone a quarter or dollar for the vending machines.

There's this person at work who owes me ten dollars. He left his money at home that morning and needed to borrow money for lunch. So I gave it to him. It's been a week now, and still no sign of the money.

It's not even the fact that he owes me the money. I can be a giving person and if he would have just said that he couldn't pay me back now because things are tight, then I would understand. But it's the way that he acts like it never happened that is really starting to burn me up. Add to this the fact that he was lecturing someone else on making sure they always pay off their debts the other day.

I thought he was a friend. But I just can't him after this.

Am I being too hysterical?

by Anonymousreply 2110/09/2012

On pay day say "do you have the ten dollars you owe me?" If he says, "not on me," tell him where the nearest ATM is located.

by Anonymousreply 110/03/2012

Maybe he needs to wait until payday, and yes he still should say something. Maybe he forgot about it though, or is hoping you did.

by Anonymousreply 210/03/2012

If someone owes me money and is forgetful about it, I will not hesitate (even if awkward) to be forceful about asking for it back. Then I will NEVER loan or front them money again.

If someone pays me back on their own, I won't hesitate. But I don't like to have to nag someone to pay me back.

by Anonymousreply 310/03/2012

I can steal $10 faster than you can earn it. What's the big deal about money. It's so easy to get, I can't imagine why anybody works.

by Anonymousreply 410/03/2012

OP, ask him to buy you lunch. Or the next time he walks in with food ask him where yours is.

I dont give any money away if Im not comfortable with not seeing again. That is the golden rule when it comes to lending money.

by Anonymousreply 510/03/2012

This same troll post is started every 2 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 610/03/2012

OP, ignore R5's suggestion that you address the debt by being a jerk.

When you see him, privately and quietly ask him if he is waiting for payday to pay you back the $10 he borrowed. Say you were "just wondering because you haven't mentioned it." You can add that you don't like lending money because of this sort of thing.

You'll know what you're dealing with when he responds. If he makes a commitment to pay on a certain day, hold him to it. If he hedges, press him. If he blows you off, walk away, let people know quietly that he's not reliable, that he doesn't pay his debts to coworkers, etc. And since it's only $10 you'll have valuable information about someone who could have cost you more.

by Anonymousreply 710/03/2012

On payday say, "by the way, I want that $10 I loaned you the other day. Don't ask for it, tell him you want it.

by Anonymousreply 810/03/2012

R6 is correct, but I'm waiting for the "My mother told me never to ..." troll.

by Anonymousreply 910/03/2012

If you considered him a friend, it's more likely that he forgot. Just ask him for the ten dollars you lent him before making it into a drama.

by Anonymousreply 1010/03/2012

r6 is right. OP, wait longer and change it up a bit more.

by Anonymousreply 1110/03/2012

If $10 is that important to you then you shouldn't have lent it. Sorry but that is just life. You two work in the same place and you can't envision a time in the future when you could be short cash and need to tap him for it?

And it's only been a week for pity's sake. Unless you really need this money now you're just a cheap ass drama queen. It's as if you wanted this to happen so you could bitch about it and count evey second on the clock until he PAYS YOU BACK!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1210/03/2012

Don't loan money unless it's a real emergency and then make it a gift. Works for me.

by Anonymousreply 1410/03/2012

r14 - So if someone wants you to spot them a dollar for the vending machine, you just say "Sorry Dan, since this isn't a REAL emergency, I can't help you. I haven't a dollar to spare??" Personally, I'd rather lose the buck.

by Anonymousreply 1510/04/2012

OP! Ask him to pay you back, politely. If he does not, drop it. $10 will not threaten your financial well being and telling others he is unreliable is kind of out of line. You'll also look pretty silly if you tell them why he's unreliable.

by Anonymousreply 1610/04/2012

It is extremely rare that a woman owes me money, for some reason it is almost always a man who always humbly asks for it and says he will pay me back. Sometimes I do it and sometimes not, but invariably, if the guy is cute I always preface it by telling him that I want to spank him if he doesn't pay me back on time and make him agree that he will submit to a spanking if that is the case. They either have second thoughts and don't borrow the money after all or if they can't repay on the day they agreed on they make themselves scarce. I have spanked a few men who "forgot", but after their spanking they always pay up.

by Anonymousreply 1710/05/2012

I offered to lend a colleague $100 to see her through Xmas as she was very distressed at being broke she only worked on a casual basis and would be short over that period as she had her kids staying on some custody arrangement) with her promising to return it by New Year. She did not pay, took to dodging me and not making eye contact and when I was desperate to make a council rates payment in March I flat out asked for it and she said she'd get it...but didn't.

I asked for it twice in the entire 4 months and got the eye-roll each time as though I was pestering her. More promises to "just go to the bank" and I finally got it in mid-April. The Mondays when she would tell stories of how many drinks she had bought over the weekend and what money she had thrown away on the pokies and the like did not help.

by Anonymousreply 1810/05/2012

God OP it's not worth that much anger. Just go to him telling him you forgot your wallet at home. "Oh see it happened to me this time! ahahaha can you give me ten?" "Oh sure buddy I think I actually owed them to you anyway!". Ahaha lol lol kiss kiss. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 1910/05/2012

Simply ask for it back at a time he should have it (pay day), OP. If he doesn't return it, write it off and be done with it. If you have never asked at least once, you need to.

by Anonymousreply 2010/05/2012

There's a girl at my work as well who is always the first to take but never gives anything back. She also borrowed money from me recently and is avoiding paying it back. I asked her for it back and she said, "what money?" at the end of the day it's a small price to pay to learn a lesson about someone. If they will sacrifice their dignity for $10 then leave them to it.

by Anonymousreply 2110/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!