Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tyler Perry as Alex Cross

I don't think he is pulling this off. I Just saw a commercial for the upcoming Alex Cross movie, TP is trying to be all macho and intimidating but he just looks like Madea to me.

by Anonymousreply 3112/12/2012

He is a very tall dude though with a deep voice. Just sayin....

by Anonymousreply 110/03/2012

He's too nelly

by Anonymousreply 210/03/2012

As much as I like Morgan Freeman he wasn't Alex Cross either. I wonder why they keep casting people that are nothing like the character as written.

Blair Underwood would work.

by Anonymousreply 310/03/2012

I saw the trailer for this several weeks ago and the audience kept erupting into laughter every time Tyler Perry opened his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 410/03/2012

Fugly and untalented and demeans his own people.

by Anonymousreply 510/03/2012

[quote] Blair Underwood would work.

He would be perfect! I'm a little shocked that Underwood never became a huge successful actor like his contemporary Denzel Washington. Underwood is a great actor and very handsome.

by Anonymousreply 610/03/2012

According to Wikipedia, Idris Elba was signed on the pay cross but was replaced by Perry. Such a shame, Elba would have been great...so sexy and charismatic.

by Anonymousreply 710/03/2012

Perry has a built-in audience who will go to see his movie no matter what the critics say

by Anonymousreply 810/03/2012

What a terrible switch, R7. The only thing Elba and Perry have in common is that they are black. Would love to know the reasoning behind that decision. It can't just be audience base, bc this is a completely different type of movie.

by Anonymousreply 910/03/2012

Tyler Perry probably just wanted to butch up his image. Fail!

by Anonymousreply 1010/03/2012

There was a best supporting actor nod effort mounted for his mere cameo as the head of Starfleet Academy in the Star Trek movie.

by Anonymousreply 1110/03/2012

Ironically, I was really born to play the irascible Ouiser Boudreaux, and to utter the words "The only reason people don't out the man in this dress and wig is because I have more money than God."

by Anonymousreply 1210/03/2012

Perry must be producing this thing.

by Anonymousreply 1310/03/2012

I find it laughable that Perry thinks he is any way equipped to play this role. Obviously, money talks and his clout as a producer enabled him to "muscle" his way into the job.

There was laughter during the trailer when I saw it, too. Someone yelled out "Detective Madea!" and the place cracked up.

by Anonymousreply 1410/03/2012

R14, he should have played the character in Madea drag. Then at least it would be watchable as camp.

(Btw, when is Miss Perry comin' out? Is she still with that fake girlfriend?)

by Anonymousreply 1510/03/2012

Is he still fat?

by Anonymousreply 1610/03/2012

At the end of the trailer, someone in the theater yelled out, "Is that Madea?" and the whole theater burst out laughing.

by Anonymousreply 1710/04/2012

Why were only black actors considered? James Patterson didn't write Alex Cross as a black man, did he?

by Anonymousreply 1810/04/2012

R18 came out of his cave

by Anonymousreply 1910/04/2012

R18 is an instigating freeper/stormfront dumbass. James Patterson wrote Alex Cross as a black American detective. Morgan Freeman portrayed Alex Cross in Kiss The Girls way back in the 90's.

While I think that Tyler Perry should branch out from his usual melodramatic chitlin' circuit horseshit movies an plays, he really should stay his ass behind a camera when he's not playing Madea. His attempts to butch it up are cringe-inducing. I still remember when Miss Perry was trying to kiss Sharon Leal in bed in "Why Did I Get Married?" and how unnatural and uncomfortable he looked with a woman. When he was yelling and arguing, he sounded just like his character Madea with a slightly deeper voice.

And this movie probably won't make much money outside of his core audience. If people are laughing at him in the trailers and calling him "Detective Madea," that won't translate well in the box office. He's really typecast himself and painted himself into a corner

by Anonymousreply 2010/04/2012

was it a flop?

by Anonymousreply 2111/21/2012

I loved the movie. It was out of his comfort zone. I was glad that Tyler took a chance to do something different.

by Anonymousreply 2211/21/2012

That's a shock, R7. Idris Elba would have been perfect. Audiences would have loved him.

by Anonymousreply 2311/21/2012

R21 - It grossed about $29 Million on a $48 Million budget and only grossed $11 Million its opening weekend. So not too many people were interested in seeing Detective Madea.

by Anonymousreply 2411/21/2012

What in the High Holy Hell FUCK is the matter with people?

Elba would have been perfect, totally perfect for that role.

Are there any insiders left on here who could explain this?

Elba must have some kind of reputation in Hollywood. It can't be just racism because I honestly believe as racist as it can be, if any black person was bankable they'd be all over it.

He is charismatic and a good actor, a rare combo. Hollywood is sorely lacking that now-they should be all over him.

by Anonymousreply 2511/21/2012

R25, R14 is right. Those Madea films have earned a massive amount of money and Perry has definite clout in Hollywood. He obviously used some of it to get this role.

by Anonymousreply 2611/21/2012

I could see that to a point, r26.

However, a movie like that, especially one with sequel potential, could make or break executives' jobs and bring in a lot of money for a studio.

I have a hard time believing they'd let a closeted e-ffeminate who isn't really an actor take the lead in this.

by Anonymousreply 2711/21/2012

lol @ Tyler Perry.

by Anonymousreply 2812/11/2012

R25, Elba is not a name actor in the eyes of the money people. The only American film I believe he headlined was the near-campfest called OBSESSED, which also starred Beyonce (thus making it easier to get financing).

I do agree that he would be excellent as Cross, but the film wound up getting trashed, so I wonder if he decided to pass on it based on the lousy script?

Interesting note - Elba starred in Perry's film DADDY'S LITTLE GIRLS. After that, I guess Perry decided he would take on the hetero leads in his films.

by Anonymousreply 2912/11/2012

Yes, the Madea movies made money, so yes, he has clout, but the fact remains that the man cannot act.

by Anonymousreply 3012/11/2012

Alex Cross didn't make a profit. It still has to come up with the budget. What a fuking fail. There are other movies too; which don't make a profit. But at least those movies are kind of good and do alright on dvd sales. This shit has no hope. The trailer looked fucked. Mathew looked like a fuking rapist.

by Anonymousreply 3112/12/2012
Need more help? Click Here.