Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Terrifying scenes in non-horror films

Inspired by Lucille Ball in Mame. What films that aren't horror/thriller movies have scenes that feel like they should belong in that genre?

Bedknobs and Broomsticks has a lot of them.

by Anonymousreply 10210/17/2012

'Two Faced Woman' from TORCH SONG. Stick around until 5:19, if you dare.

by Anonymousreply 110/03/2012

The Banshee in Darby O'Gill and the Little People scared the shit out of me as a child.

by Anonymousreply 210/03/2012

Snow White in the haunted forest.

by Anonymousreply 310/03/2012

When the soldiers picked up the little dog in Tea With Mussolini

by Anonymousreply 410/03/2012

R1, It's hard to believe that Joan Crawford was in her 50's when she made that film but then again, you know what they say--"Black don't crack."

by Anonymousreply 510/03/2012

It's insane that anyone even at that time thought Joan Crawford blacking up was a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 610/03/2012

The slo-mo at the end is great.

by Anonymousreply 710/03/2012

When Woody Allen pulls off Bette Midler's pants in "Scenes From A Mall."

by Anonymousreply 810/03/2012

The boat ride in the original Willy Wonka movie scared a lot of people. Actually, the Oompa Loompas were pretty horrible, too.

I knew someone who was terrified of E.T. as a child because he was 'all white and crispy' when he seemed to die.

The Wicked Witch is, of course, completely scary in a wonderful way.

by Anonymousreply 910/03/2012

Woody Allen's ponytail in Scenes from a Mall sent many moviegoers screaming in horror.

by Anonymousreply 1010/03/2012

DL icon Kathy Bates revealing her huge, pendulous post-menopausal breasts in a hot tub in that movie with Jack Nickolson (what's the name?)

by Anonymousreply 1110/03/2012

R10, I know, gross!

by Anonymousreply 1210/03/2012

Perhaps even more terrifying are Jack Nicholson's moobs revealed in the same scene.

by Anonymousreply 1310/03/2012

R11- "About Schmidt."

by Anonymousreply 1410/03/2012

"The Cat In The Hat" where they ride in a rollercoaster car made of a giant frozen Dakota Fanning.

by Anonymousreply 1510/03/2012

The scene where Lillian Gish's father brutalizes her in Broken Blossoms.

by Anonymousreply 1610/03/2012

The murder of the young woman in "Oliver"--does anyone remember her name?

by Anonymousreply 1710/03/2012

Madonna trying to emote in ANY of the films she's been in.

"Swept Away" was particularly frightening.

I always wonder what out of work, well trained and truly talented actresses think when a famous woman gets a movie role just because she is well known.

It's clear the producer/director thinks their famous name will draw in an audience, it usually does not.

In Madonna's case, she simply cannot act and even her rabid fans don't waste money on her films.

by Anonymousreply 1810/03/2012

Now that you mention it R17, most of Oliver Reed's scenes in Oliver are also really creepy.

The ending of Looking for Mr Goodbar is hands down one of the scariest things I've ever seen in a film.

by Anonymousreply 1910/03/2012

The crab robot creatures from The Neverending Story: The Next Chapter attacking the good guys and the city.

by Anonymousreply 2010/03/2012

The scene in Beethoven where the vet smears himself in blood and gets the dog to jump on him still strikes me as really really dark.

Atreyu's horse dying in the swamp in The Neverending Story.

by Anonymousreply 2110/03/2012

Those bouncy accordion puppet looking things in the subway from The Wiz

by Anonymousreply 2210/03/2012

Last 15 minutes or so of "Old Yeller."

by Anonymousreply 2310/03/2012

The (boat?) ride in the Willy Wonka movie with Gene Wilder's face in a close up with all the spooky colors rushing over his face.

by Anonymousreply 2410/03/2012

Sorry, completely missed r9's post regarding the boat ride in Willy Wonka.

by Anonymousreply 2510/03/2012

Beautiful Creatures. The moment where the mom gets her final meal and her daughter tells her that she deserves it without the mom knowing what's going to happen shortly.

The beginning of Idiocracy. Maybe a different terror OP had in mind though.

by Anonymousreply 2610/03/2012

Nancy, R17. The only character allowed to wear red in the Oliver! play.

by Anonymousreply 2710/03/2012

R17, the woman in "Oliver" is named Nancy. Female lead. Sings (not long before her death, I believe) "As Long as he Needs Me." (ought to be every battered woman's theme song. NOT.)

by Anonymousreply 2810/03/2012

A Man Called Horse

by Anonymousreply 2910/03/2012

That massacre scene in an old western movie where soldiers killed a whole village. There was also a very graphic segment of a man raping a Native American woman.

by Anonymousreply 3010/03/2012

When they burn down the church filled with people in THE PATRIOT. I hate that part and I'll never watch that film again because of it.

by Anonymousreply 3110/03/2012

Ripping the beating heart out of the living victim in INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM.

The heroin addicts coming to and finding the dead baby in TRAINSPOTTING.

The torture scene with man in the creepy baby mask in BRAZIL.

Auntie Em flickering out and the Wicked Witch's face appearing in the crystal ball when Dorothy is locked in the witch's tower in THE WIZARD OF OZ.

Lampwick turning into a donkey in PINOCCHIO. One of the scariest scenes ever.

by Anonymousreply 3210/03/2012

Gene Wilder's song in the tunnel of "Willie Wonka & The Chocolate Factory".

by Anonymousreply 3310/03/2012

Julie Andrews exposing her breasts in SOB.

by Anonymousreply 3410/03/2012

R30, would that be "Soldier Blue?"

by Anonymousreply 3510/09/2012

The Five Thousand Fingers of Dr. T.

-- Several scenes

by Anonymousreply 3610/09/2012

The Child Catcher in "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang."

Another vote for Lampwick's transformation in "Pinocchio." I don't know why it's so creepy, but I've read it horrified thousands of children the same way it horrified me.

The Polaroid scene with the grandparents in "Ordinary People." It really freaked me out as a child because you know either Connie or the mother is going to blow a fuse, and you don't know who will do it first.

by Anonymousreply 3710/09/2012

Meryl's tit flash in Silkwood.

by Anonymousreply 3810/09/2012

[quote]That massacre scene in an old western movie where soldiers killed a whole village. There was also a very graphic segment of a man raping a Native American woman.

That would be from LITTLE BIG MAN. They were trying to evoke the My Lai massacre in Viet Nam (which was then very much in the news still).

by Anonymousreply 3910/09/2012

Bill Cosby in the first fifteen minutes of Disney's The Devil and Max Devlin traumatized the shit of me as an impressionable five-year-old.

by Anonymousreply 4010/10/2012

I was freaked out in THE DARK KNIGHT RISES by those scenes of the rich people in Gotham City forced to walk on the thin river ice by Ciaran Murphy's Robespierre-like character.

by Anonymousreply 4110/10/2012

The S&M elevator song in the 5000 Fingers of Dr T.

by Anonymousreply 4210/10/2012

Some 70s western the bad guys raid a high class Mexican wedding killing several members. Some take the bride away to rape her while one bad guy eats food. Wish I knew the name of movie never watched the whole thing surely the bad guys get whats coming to them ......

by Anonymousreply 4310/10/2012

Large Marge

by Anonymousreply 4410/10/2012

The scene in Sometimes A Great Notion where Paul Newman helplessly watches his brother Richard Jaeckal drown. Later, a bumpy truck ride to the hospital has you wondering if Henry Fonda's arm will come off after it's been crushed in a logging accident. It does.

Jane Fonda's little girl in The Dollmaker losing her legs on the train tracks, and subsequently bleeding to death.

Kevin Kline's mentally unstable character all though Sophie's Choice.

These were all harrowing, quite horrifying moments for me in non-horror films..

by Anonymousreply 4510/10/2012

The scene in the Walt Disney version of Prince and the Pauper where the pauper's abusive father finds him. He actually found the prince disguised as the pauper, but it didn't matter because you knew whoever it was had a shit-kicking coming.

Sean Scully played Tom Canty/The Prince in that version. I had a crush on him. He also played Peter in Almost Angels, the Disney movie that takes place in the Vienna Boy's Choir and was in The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh.

The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh was the opposite of this thread. Tje coming attractions made it look like a great horror movie, yet it turned out to be boring crap about royal taxes.

by Anonymousreply 4610/10/2012

Gene Teirney calmly watching her little brother-in-law drown in "Leave It To Heaven".

by Anonymousreply 4710/10/2012

Dick van Dyke's accent Mary Poppins. Truly horrifying

by Anonymousreply 4810/10/2012

The scene in Mrs. Miniver when Greer Garson are driving on a dark road during an air raid.

by Anonymousreply 4910/10/2012

The sequence in The Color People that alternates between Celie contemplating slashing her husband's throat while shaving him and an African tribal scarification ceremony

by Anonymousreply 5010/10/2012

Alex Forrest casually nicking her thigh with the butcher knife while confronting Beth Gallagher in [italic]Fatal Attraction[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 5110/10/2012

I forgot to say that I totally agree with R47's pick. Very disturbing and creepy.

by Anonymousreply 5210/10/2012

The Pianist is a about the Warsaw Ghetto in WWII, so it's not a horror film, although horrific things happen. One of the most horrifying parts is when the Nazis invade a family's apartment during dinner and forces the family to stand. The grandfather in a wheelchair cannot stand up. The Nazis roll him to the balcony several stories up and throw him over. I've never wanted to run out of a movie theater as deeply as I wanted to when I saw that.

Still, The Pianist is high on my list of the greatest films ever made.

by Anonymousreply 5310/10/2012

R45, that scene you cited from "The Dollmaker" really fucked me up as a child. I think I was about 6 years old when I saw it. Nightmares for YEARS.

by Anonymousreply 5410/10/2012

The mean talking apple tree in "Wizard of Oz" scared me so much that I never watched the film past that point until I was about thirty.

by Anonymousreply 5510/10/2012

R3--You're probably talking about "Tombstone."

by Anonymousreply 5610/11/2012

The woman screaming that things are crawling on her in "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?"

by Anonymousreply 5710/11/2012

OP, the Substitionary Locomotion spell has come in handy more times then not!!!

by Anonymousreply 5810/11/2012

"Some 70s western the bad guys raid a high class Mexican wedding killing several members. Some take the bride away to rape her while one bad guy eats food. Wish I knew the name of movie never watched the whole thing surely the bad guys get whats coming to them ......"

Yes, that's from "Tombstone", yet another remake of the the story of Wyatt Earp and the shootout at the OK Corral. Val Kilmer was good as Doc Holiday but the movie was basically mediocre. That opening scene was gratuitously awful; unnecessary and as far as I know, untrue.

by Anonymousreply 5910/11/2012

R53 instantly reminded me of a scene from 'The Good Shepherd.'

Eddie Redmayne, son of a CIA grandee, loves and marries The Wrong Girl, can't recall the details. Said girl later cheerfully takes a trip on a small passenger plane.

At the 'right' moment above the ocean a door is opened and she is swiftly and efficiently thrown out. We see her tiny innocent frame flailing to certain death in the middle of nowhere. Dreadful.

Good if obviously dark film though, with a fine cast, and ably directed by De Niro. I must see it again soon.

by Anonymousreply 6010/11/2012

The last few scenes of "Wait Until Dark" are wonderfully scary.

by Anonymousreply 6110/11/2012

I always find the giant baby in space at the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey terrifying, just the idea of that huge thing being out there watching us.

by Anonymousreply 6210/11/2012

Statue of Liberty at the end of "Planet of the Apes". Terrifying and heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 6310/11/2012

OMG, R60, that part terrified me, too. There was nothing that girl could have done. How fucking scary would that be???

by Anonymousreply 6410/11/2012

As a little kid watching TWOO, I was always horrified during the Wicked Witch scenes.

by Anonymousreply 6510/11/2012

Thanks r59 but I have never seen Tombstone and it looked like a movie that was made in the 70s. Must be another Wyatt Earp movie...

by Anonymousreply 6610/11/2012

Melancholia, when you see another planet is in the sky and about to hit the earth, the older sister to Kristen Dunst's character grabs her kid and frantically tries to run away, but there's nowhere to run for safety. It was so pathetic looking and totally without hope or mercy, I cried.

Some Exorcist prequel that I only saw the beginning of where a priest was living somewhere the Nazis invaded during WWII and the Nazis rounded up the villagers and told the priest to pick the one that would die (the only one to be shot) but he couldn't point to anyone, so the Nazi soldiers would shoot a villager each time he couldn't do it. I had to change the channel.

by Anonymousreply 6710/12/2012

Excuse me....that Exorcist movie was a horror film.

by Anonymousreply 6810/12/2012

Mommie Dearest. Whenever Fay Dunaway was onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 6910/12/2012

Vera being turned into a Cyborg at the end of Superman III was truly terrifying! Her scream alone gave me nightmares as a kid!

by Anonymousreply 7010/12/2012

Aliens wasn't really horror per se, but Newts utterance of "it won't make any difference.." was terrifying.

Any love for "Pink Elephants on Parade" from Dumbo.

by Anonymousreply 7110/12/2012

White Squall, where Jeff bridges desperately tries to free his wife from the hold as the boat goes down.

by Anonymousreply 7210/12/2012

Jeff Bridges again - the final full scene of the plane crash in "Fearless" is truly terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 7310/12/2012

The love scenes between Lily Tomlin and John Travolta in "Moment By Moment."

by Anonymousreply 7410/12/2012

The giant close-up of SJP's face in the first Sex and the City movie. I saw it in the theater and people were screaming and soiling themselves. I always wondered what SJP did to piss off the cinematographer so much.

by Anonymousreply 7510/12/2012

The plane crash in "Cast Away" with Tom Hanks on a Fed Ex flight.

by Anonymousreply 7610/12/2012

r67, Lars Von Trier's Melancholia is loaded with disturbing, eerie imagery & ideas. I actually had a mild anxiety attack when the planet on its first pass through the outer layers of our atmosphere sucks up a little bit of Earth's oxygen, and the characters onscreen momentarily gasp for breath. Really quite terrifying that film, but in a completely subtle way except for the very last shot which was outright horrific and in your face.

by Anonymousreply 7710/12/2012

Ha ha, r17

by Anonymousreply 7810/12/2012

That's interesting you say that, R75. When I saw that movie in theaters, and they showed the first close-up of Candace Bergen's face, and how badly she looked, there was a loud audible gasp throughout the audience.

by Anonymousreply 7910/13/2012

I just saw Tom Cruise in ass-less chaps.

by Anonymousreply 8010/13/2012

Glenda Jackson crouching over a grate in "The Music Lovers"

by Anonymousreply 8110/13/2012

R45 beat me to it. Richard Jaeckle trying to smile as he's stuck under log but all will be okay -- and then how it goes -- made me cry as a kid, gives me nightmares if I think about it. REALLY well done (directed by Newman) and Jaeckle was Oscar nominated. Am happy anyone else remembered it.

by Anonymousreply 8210/13/2012

[quote]except for the very last shot which was outright horrific and in your face

I'm watching Melancholia right now on Showtime and I'm VERY nervous about seeing the final scene now.

by Anonymousreply 8310/13/2012

[quote]The heroin addicts coming to and finding the dead baby in TRAINSPOTTING.

Trainspotting is my all time favorite movie, but the dead baby scene is always hard to watch, because the poor baby is so cute and adorable in the early scenes.

by Anonymousreply 8410/13/2012

Two scenes in Once Upon a Time in the West -- the McBain family farm scene and the "keep your loving brother happy" scene.

by Anonymousreply 8510/13/2012

Little Rascals making fun of Miss Crabtree

by Anonymousreply 8610/13/2012

by Anonymousreply 8710/14/2012

The scene in Shawshank Redemption when the young and handsome inmate says he will testify and tell the truth then gets shot..

In Schlinder's List a young woman tells the Nazi they are building a structure wrong. They kill her and do what she says...

by Anonymousreply 8810/14/2012

Also in Schindler's List: Fiennes decides to shoot an inmate in the head, for no real reason, but the gun jams a few times, and he just shrugs and walks away. It mattered that little.

by Anonymousreply 8910/14/2012

When Scout and Jim are walking through the woods or whatever and are followed and attacked by that evil racist guy in To Kill A Mockingbird.

by Anonymousreply 9010/14/2012

The tornado in the Wizard of Oz always scared me when it was twisting and turning out in the fields, getting closer and closer to Dorothy's farm.

by Anonymousreply 9110/14/2012

The gas station scene in "No Country for Old Men." By then, we now Bardem's character is an evil killer but the way he taunts the man and plays with his life with the flip of a coin i terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 9210/14/2012

The Rita Moreno episode of The Golden Girls. Sheesh! It was horrifying to watch.

by Anonymousreply 9310/14/2012

Is Melancholia that good? I had it on in the background the other day, but wasn't really paying attention. It seemed like a lot of dialogue and little action.

by Anonymousreply 9410/14/2012

The abduction of the little boy in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind." Pretty terrifying in what's otherwise a non-horror film.

by Anonymousreply 9510/14/2012

Oh and those damn flying monkeys in "Wizard of Oz" have to be given a Top Ten spot on the list. Still creep me out when they begin to fly past the castle window.

And Jennifer Jones falling from the glass elevator in "Towering Inferno" is up there. It looks like they didn't tell her what was coming, her reaction is so weirdly real (not a typical movie star posey death). And that scream as she hands off the little girl... shudder.

by Anonymousreply 9610/14/2012

Michael Douglas's bare ass in "fatal Attraction." It was so creepy and flabby. I shudder thinking about that thing.

by Anonymousreply 9710/14/2012

In the 1952 segment of "If These Walls Could Talk (abortion version)" Demi Moore gets an illegal abortion. A guy comes to her house, tells her to get on the kitchen table, and proceeds to dilate her cervix and scrape out her uterus using unsterilized instruments and no anesthetic. She's in agony during the procedure. After he's done, he tells her she's going to have some bleeding and some cramping and if she starts to hemorrhage call the hospital. The final scene shows her white-faced, in shock, trying and failing to make a phone call for help, and bleeding like a stuck pig. Terrifying. And things like this really happened before Roe vs. Wade.

by Anonymousreply 9810/15/2012

Yup, r92, that scene made me a nervous wreck!

by Anonymousreply 9910/15/2012

I thought some of the street scenes in Equilibrium were scary. Masses of people walking to wherever, in silence, dressed in dull gray and blacks like joyless, inanimate worker drones. Eerily reminiscent of some scenes in Metropolis. Scary because I can see this as a very real future for us.

R98 those are the good old days the teapublicans want to bring back.

by Anonymousreply 10010/15/2012

Several scenes in 4 Months,3 weeks and 2 Days

by Anonymousreply 10110/15/2012

Some of these are worse than in actual horror films.

by Anonymousreply 10210/17/2012
Need more help? Click Here.