Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Selective Service registration is still required?

That will be news to my 24, almost 25 year old son. I didn't know either. You'd think they would send a letter or something.

by Anonymousreply 1811/07/2012

Like, duh. I thought they flagged young men when they get their drivers license. I can't remember how I knew to register, but I know it was done online.

If you're a guy who hasn't registered for the selective service, you'll never get a federal job.

by Anonymousreply 110/02/2012

[quote] If you're a guy who hasn't registered for the selective service, you'll never get a federal job.

Or a federal student loan.

by Anonymousreply 210/02/2012

Well, he's not alone. Most of his friends have no clue either. There must be thousands out there without a clue.

For some reason I thought it had ended and I doubt he has any desire to work for the feds.

by Anonymousreply 310/02/2012

Someone is tracking your location from your post as I type this, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 410/02/2012

Registration was started by Jimmy Carter after the Russians invaded Afghanistan.

My protest sign was "Registration is a Zbig Mistake."

by Anonymousreply 510/02/2012

Anyone more than two years late in registering gets drafted within six months.

by Anonymousreply 610/02/2012

He's an only son and I believe they used to be exempt.

by Anonymousreply 710/02/2012

they send them letters. And it's not just student loans, it's all Federal aid. so no Pell Grant either.

by Anonymousreply 810/02/2012

and you are supposed to keep them updated of address changes until you are 25!

by Anonymousreply 910/02/2012

If OP's son has made it this long, I take it college was never an issue.

by Anonymousreply 1010/02/2012

He hasn't gone college yet. :-(

He works for a city government though.

by Anonymousreply 1110/02/2012

There are still signs in the Post Office.

by Anonymousreply 1210/02/2012

He should probably move to Canada now, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1310/02/2012

That's great R12 if anyone still goes to the post office. I haven't set foot in one in fifteen years.

I still think if they were that interested they should have sent a letter.

by Anonymousreply 1410/03/2012

they do send letters. and it's the law.

by Anonymousreply 1511/07/2012

"Only Sons" and the draft

Contrary to popular belief, "only sons," "the last son to carry the family name," and "sole surviving sons" must register and they can be drafted. However, they may be entitled to a peacetime deferment if there is a military death in the immediate family.

Provisions regarding the survivors of veterans were written into Selective Service law after World War II. Details have varied over the years, but the basic premise remains the same; where a family member has been lost as a result of military service, the remaining family members should be protected insofar as possible.

It is important to keep in mind that the provisions are directly related to service-connected deaths. The mere fact that a man is the only child or only son does not qualify him for exemption - he must be the survivor of one who died as a result of military service.

The present law provides a peacetime exemption for anyone whose parent or sibling was killed in action, died in line of duty, or died later as a result of disease or injury incurred in line of duty while serving in the armed forces of the United States. Also included are those whose parent or sibling is in a captured or missing status as a result of service in the armed forces during any period of time. This is known as the "surviving son or brother" provision. A man does not have to be the only surviving son in order to qualify; if there are four sons in a family and one dies in the line of duty, the remaining three would qualify for surviving son or brother status under the present law.

The surviving son or brother provision is applicable only in peacetime. It does not apply in time of war or national emergency declared by the Congress.

The original law, passed in 1948, exempted the sole surviving son of a family where one or more sons or daughters died as a result of military service. No restriction existed at that time to limit the exemption to peacetime. The provision was intended to protect families which had lost a member in World War II.

In 1964, recognizing that sons of World War II veterans were reaching draft age, Congress changed the law to include the sole surviving son of a family where the father, or one or more sons or daughters, died as a result of military service. At this time the peacetime-only restriction was also added to the law.

A further change was made in 1971, expanding the exemption to any son, not necessarily the sole surviving son, of a family where the father, brother or sister died as a result of military service. This provision was recently expanded to include mothers.

by Anonymousreply 1611/07/2012

[quote]You'd think they would send a letter or something.

Like the letter they sent to tell you that you have to get a drivers license to legally drive a car?

by Anonymousreply 1711/07/2012

OP, are you aware that if you want to leave Podunk for a vacation outside the U.S. you will need a passport? Did you ever get a letter about that?

by Anonymousreply 1811/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.