Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I have never gotten into podcasts. Are there any that you listen to everyday?

by Anonymousreply 5205/13/2015

Not every day, but the Savage Love Podcast on Tuesdays is one I listen to pretty regularly.

This American Life from NPR is another good one, and I like some of the other NPR compilations like Technology and On The Media.

As a non-science person, I really like AstronomyCast as a basic-level series about sciency stuff. The Freakonomics Podcast is usually interesting, but it seems they update very infrequently these days.

WNYC's Radiolab is good one too - similar to This American Life but with a "hipper" vibe.

by Anonymousreply 110/02/2012

Randi Rhodes. Her show isn't on air where I live so I have to listen this way.

by Anonymousreply 210/02/2012

Talking TV with Ryan and Ryan is a pretty good one by the TV critic at huffpo and a writer from AV Club if you are interested in TV stuff.

by Anonymousreply 310/02/2012

Nerdist has some really interesting ones and you can stream the whole library for free. I often put them on in the background while I am working. I am especially fond of the TV writer's series they have done.

by Anonymousreply 410/02/2012

KCRW's Left, Right and Center which drops on Friday afternoon and is a weekly debate/roundup of news and politics.

Slate's sports blog

NPR's Intelligence Squared, a panel debate on a variety of topics, complete with the audience voting on the winners (who changes the most minds). But it doesn't update very frequently.

I like the Stuff You Should Know/Missed series

The Wall Street Journal daily podcast is pretty good, though I'm not a daily podcast listener.

New Yorker Out Loud which are outtakes from the weekly magazines.

by Anonymousreply 510/02/2012

R2, you can stream her show through affiliate radio stations. Welcome to the internet!

by Anonymousreply 610/03/2012

I love the Ronna and Beverly podcast. Two hilarious gay-friendly Jewish women - they crack me up.

by Anonymousreply 710/03/2012

Lake Wobegon. Wait, wait don't tell me. Joe rogan. Various NPR news. I use it through Apple TV a lot rather than watching commercial news.

by Anonymousreply 810/03/2012

I do that as well, R6. Smart ass.

by Anonymousreply 910/03/2012

I love Coverville, and some of the Luxuria Music podcasts.

Also enjoy Stephanie Miller's "Right Wing World' segments in small doses.

by Anonymousreply 1010/03/2012

Jillian Michaels. It is taped about 3 times per month but its funny and I've grown to like her. She's very candid about her life and gives great weight loss tips.

by Anonymousreply 1110/03/2012

I enjoy the "In Our Time" podcasts from the BBC. They take a topic of historical, cultural, scientific and/or philosophical interest and have a vivid, humorous and engaging conversation among academics in a manner that can be easily understood and enjoyed. They're not condescending or dry. The Brits can do the mix of the academic and enjoyable well. A topic I recall was "Hadrian's Wall".

by Anonymousreply 1210/03/2012

Bob & Tom.

by Anonymousreply 1310/04/2012

I really miss the TV Guide Podcast. That was my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 1410/04/2012

KCRW has a lot of great content.

by Anonymousreply 1510/04/2012

Watch what crappens listen to #37 first I lmao all the time.

You have to hear them do Mama Elsa from rhom.

They ripped Aviva a new one.

by Anonymousreply 1610/04/2012

This American Life

Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!

Ask Me Another

The Moth

Anything put out by KCRW

by Anonymousreply 1710/04/2012

Same as others listed here, but for the wooo wooos types here: Stuff They Don't Want You To Know

by Anonymousreply 1810/04/2012

Gay Pimpin' is excellent, start with 8/22/12

by Anonymousreply 1910/04/2012

I listen to a lot of comedian's podcast,Marc Maron,Greg Fitsimmons I also listen to a couple of Kevin Smith's podcasts and Savage Love Cast and Risk with Kevin Allison.I tried listening to Johnny McGovern's podcast but I guess I'm just not quite gay enough to really get into it plus it's like 2 hours long!Are there any really sexually explicit gay podcasts?

by Anonymousreply 2010/05/2012

I'm really liking "Getting On with James Urbaniak". It's comedy but it sounds like an old timey radio program. I listened to the first episode 5 times already. Good fun.

by Anonymousreply 2110/12/2012

I like the Frangela 'Idiot of the Week' podcast. They're funny.

by Anonymousreply 2210/12/2012

Slate culture gabfest

KCRW The Business

The Moth

WTF with Marc Maron

Wait Wait....

And Thus American Life

I tried NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour, but I hate the podcasters.

by Anonymousreply 2310/12/2012

LOVE Feast of Fun

by Anonymousreply 2410/12/2012

Ronna and Beverly are great. I only listen when there's a guest I like but I'm always really impressed by their commitment to character - they seem almost too real.

by Anonymousreply 2510/12/2012

R23 speaking of hating the podcasters, the only Slate podcast I listen to now is the sports one. It's the only one without Emily Beazon. She offers zero insight and yet she's on two of the major Slate podcasts. I resent her for keeping me away from Slate's political and cultural podcasts.

by Anonymousreply 2610/13/2012

Emily Bazelon is not on the Slate's Culture Gabfest. You're confusing her with Dana Stevens, movie critic aka the fast talker. Emily Bazelon is a lawyer and resident legal wonk.

by Anonymousreply 2711/10/2012

I'd like to eventually start.

by Anonymousreply 2811/10/2012

Fresh Air

The Treatment

by Anonymousreply 2911/10/2012

Mysterious Universe. 2 blokes from Australia recapping the weird. Has a nice following. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 3011/11/2012

What's wrong with Emily Bazelon? I listen to Slate's political gabfest every week, and while she's sometimes not so insightful, overall she adds to the discussions.

I also like KUCI radio's "Writers on Writing" author interviews, as well "Books on the Nightstand".

by Anonymousreply 3111/11/2012

R27, maybe I got it mixed up but I do remember Bazelon being on two of the Slate podcasts. Maybe it wasn't the cultural one and/or she's now just doing one.

In either case, one is one too many. I listened to the political podcast for the first time in over a year because of the election. Yep, Emily is still offering very little in terms of insight or even interest. She has that way of downplaying her contribution which she hopes conveys her modesty but really is an insecurity mechanism because she knows she's offering pap. I gave up after a podcast on a legal issue and though she is supposed to be the legal eagle, her contribution was lame compared to everyone else. If she can't shine in her area of expertise, what is the point of her spouting on other things she can't contribute to?

by Anonymousreply 3211/12/2012

Emily Bazelon needs to work on the vocal fry. I can't listen to her for that reason alone.

by Anonymousreply 3311/12/2012

Any good music ones? I used to love electronic periodic, but they seemed to have stopped it.

by Anonymousreply 3411/12/2012

Ronna and Beverly from Marblehead. Laughing out loud funny

by Anonymousreply 3503/16/2013

Josh and Ross on Toad Hop Network!

by Anonymousreply 3603/16/2013

Feast of Fun, Gay Pimpin, Darkness Radio (Way better than Coast to Coast), Ground Zero, Exploring Astrology and sometimes others. I listen to them during my commute & on walks mainly.

by Anonymousreply 3702/18/2014

by Anonymousreply 3801/28/2015

I love Podcasts. I like to binge listen to channels. Right now I'm binging on Here's the Thing with Alec Baldwin and the Strangers podcast.

by Anonymousreply 3902/17/2015

Not daily but if you rotate through the list there will likely be something to listen to every day - This American Live (the archive is free and online or you can buy the app and get access to all the old episodes on your smartphon0 - The Moth Radio Hour (or just The Moth) - Serial (while it was running) - Radiolab - The Dinner Party Download

I am forgetting some

by Anonymousreply 4002/17/2015

I love true crime topics:

Criminal Sword & Scale True Murder Generation Why

I listened to Serial but didn't really get the hype. I hope they pick a better topic for season #2.

Also I love:

The Sporkful The Crab Feast For Crying Out Loud Dr. Drew The Adam Carolla Show The Chive How Stuff Works

by Anonymousreply 4102/17/2015

Dennis Hensley's podcast, Dennis Anyone? is good. Lots of gay guests like Jack Plotnick, Leslie Jordan, Drew Droege, Guy Branum etc.

by Anonymousreply 4202/17/2015

All Songs Considered-NPR Music & Cool Stotes in Music.

by Anonymousreply 4302/17/2015

Sorry, misspelling. Cool Stories in Music.

by Anonymousreply 4402/17/2015

R39, how are they? I've never heard of the strangers.

by Anonymousreply 4502/17/2015

Snap Judgement

by Anonymousreply 4602/17/2015

I have a few podcasts I listen to on a regular basis:

Throwing Shade - gay & feminist topics with humor

99 Percent Invisible - design

Backstory - American history

Thank God I'm Atheist - humorous atheist takes on religion by two ex-Mormons

There are a few others that I listen to occasionally, including several of the "How Stuff Works" podcasts and a couple of other atheism and history ones. I would like to find a good podcast for books/literature.

by Anonymousreply 4702/17/2015

I listen to several Earwolf podcasts religiously, Comedy Bang Bang and Ronna and Beverly being the two standouts.

Julie Klausner's "How Was Your Week" is hilarious, although it's not weekly like it used to be.

by Anonymousreply 4805/12/2015

Nick Digilio WGN radio Chicago

by Anonymousreply 4905/12/2015

My boyfriend's coworker does one that I've enjoyed on a couple occasions. Not all of them are my thing but I loved his Grammy's and Oscars recaps that he did with a special guest who I believe is gay. Wisecrackin' With Winter.

by Anonymousreply 5005/12/2015

I love Jonny McGovern's podcast. He often has like 10 or 15 minutes of music, which is easily skippable. And I'm not a gossip mag/reality TV fan but I like the mix of guests and chemistry. Many of them are comedians and know how to tell a good anecdote.

The one talking about the Bryan Singer scandal was tea-larious. It also featured the guy who runs Randy Blue and also does the Jiz/Jem parodies.

I'd also recommend the one where Stephen Guarino tells of attending an orgy at the Chateau Marmont.

There's also one where Julie Goldman recounts a gig at a Lesbian Weekend retreat where her straight female co-host shoe-horned a wet t-shirt contest into the itinerary. A bunch of lesbians took part in it but then regretted it and had to process those feelings... "I need to feel that I'm being heard". It was very Michfest.

by Anonymousreply 5105/12/2015

Well this one was funny

by Anonymousreply 5205/13/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!