Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Partners on CBS

I just stumbled across this amazingly funny new sitcom on CBS and thought this would be the perfect place to discuss it!

It stars Michael Urie and David Krumholtz as best friends and partners in business. They both are really great in their roles and I think they have what it takes to make this series a big hit!

Did anyone else catch last night's episode? Want to discuss your favorite lines?

by Anonymousreply 5710/06/2012

Who do you work for, OP? CBS, KoMut Entertainment, or Warner Brothers?

by Anonymousreply 110/02/2012

I watched last nite as well and I agree it was very funny. Also R1 I do not work for anyone of the companies you mentioned.

i feel a little guilty enjoying Partners as I did as i simply loath Modern Family

by Anonymousreply 210/02/2012

Everyone is talking about it at the office water coolers! Men find the raunchy sex-based humor hilarious, while women find the fabulous clothing choices of Michael Urie adorable! And all gays everywhere can recognize themselves in the shallow, narcissistic character whom Urie plays.

It's a smash hit!

by Anonymousreply 310/02/2012

I was thinking the same thing, r1! Let's discuss the long wait in line at the unemployment office when this piece of shit gets cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 410/02/2012

I'm just a regular person and a fan of this show. I thought a site like Data Lounge would be a fun place to talk about the show is all.

by Anonymousreply 510/02/2012

Then join the discussion on the KoMut thread.

by Anonymousreply 610/02/2012

I agree! It's a wonderful show.

My favorite line from last night was when Urie said, "I don't want you to bone a chicken. I want you to de-bone a chicken!" Truly hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 710/02/2012

I can't wait until Friday night when I am with my friends at the gay discotheque and we can discuss the latest episode over Crantinis with our personal "Graces"! SUCH a good show! And Krumholz has turned into such a hotty man since he lost that 200 pounds and had those extra vertebrae added to his neck!

by Anonymousreply 810/02/2012

The only good part was watching the well-built fitness instructor. Anyone know the actors name?

by Anonymousreply 910/02/2012

Ellen Barkin is fantastic in it!

by Anonymousreply 1010/02/2012

It's like someone held up a mirror to my sassy life!

by Anonymousreply 1110/02/2012

[quote]The only good part was watching the well-built fitness instructor. Anyone know the actors name?

That would be Brandon Routh aka Superman.

by Anonymousreply 1210/02/2012

I love all the sassy comebacks! I'll have to use some of those when I go out shopping and then have appletinis with my hags! They think I'm so amusing and funny, especially when I use my sing-song gayvoice!

by Anonymousreply 1310/02/2012

Jonathan Tolins, the man who brought you Twilight of the Golds is the "special consultant" (and probably op)

by Anonymousreply 1410/02/2012

Was Twilight of the Golds that awful TV movie with Brendan Fraser as the gay brother of the woman planning to abort her gay fetus? That was an appallingly bad movie.

by Anonymousreply 1510/02/2012

yep

by Anonymousreply 1610/02/2012

I feel bad for Urie. I have never liked Krumbcake in anything. Sophia Bush may be cute but she cahn't act. Routh is as boring as a box of nails and not nearly as hot as his Superman days. It's rather a dick move on Mokut's part to think they can just recreate W&G when casting was EVERYTHING to the sucess of that show. Jack and Karen were the Lucy and Ethel of modern sitcoms.

by Anonymousreply 1710/02/2012

A good move would be to add Megan Mulally to the cast as the new boss of the jewelry store.

Or Julia Duffy.

by Anonymousreply 1810/02/2012

Urie is was great as a replacement in Angels in America....his character is so unlikable here though.

by Anonymousreply 1910/02/2012

This is sandwiched between How I Met Your Mother & 2 Broke Girls.

But ratings have been flat, People are tuning out after 'Mother' and then tuning back in for 2 Broke Girls.

Hope CBS gives this show time to find an audience.

by Anonymousreply 2010/02/2012

It is too spastic...they all need to calm down a bit.

by Anonymousreply 2110/02/2012

I knew Jonathan Tolins years ago. I wonder if the Michael Urie character is based on him.

by Anonymousreply 2210/02/2012

no it is based on Max Mutchnick....they wrote a sitcom about themselves....navel gazing

by Anonymousreply 2310/02/2012

Is Max Mutchnick really that horrible of a person? Isn't he embarrassed? The lead gay character is completely loathsome: shallow, self-obsessed, and hypercritical. That's a self-portrait???

by Anonymousreply 2410/02/2012

Michael Urie is so brave for taking this part, girlfriends. It's great seeing a gay character who doesn't fall into stereotypical caftan and earrings territory, like that queen from Modern Family.

by Anonymousreply 2510/02/2012

I wanted to smack the Michael Urie character for pulling the dog away from his food.

by Anonymousreply 2610/02/2012

It's okay people, give it a chance. Don't give into to your knee-jerk "straight acting" attitudes. Everybody can see your assimilationist insecurities from the moon.

by Anonymousreply 2710/02/2012

I gotta admit at first I thought OP was a PR shill but my slow ass finally got it - the sarcasm, I mean.

Once more, Mutchnik telling people how the gays and their hags are all uber-groomed shopaholics who'd never be caught dead anywhere other than in a successful white collar job telling straight peoplke how square they ar and making references to designer labels and female icons.

by Anonymousreply 2810/02/2012

Are you high, OP? The jokes are incredibly lame and full of cliches, and the set looks like something right out of an 80s or 90s sitcom. Horrible, horrible stuff. Enough with the penis jokes already. This show actually makes The New Normal look good.

by Anonymousreply 2910/02/2012

The New Normal is Citizen Cane compared to this turd. The writing, acting, and music on this show seem to be competing with each other to turn the most viewers off. I'd sooner vote for Romney than watch another episode of this shit.

by Anonymousreply 3010/02/2012

[quote]The lead gay character is completely loathsome: shallow, self-obsessed, and hypercritical.

I take it you've never met a gay Jew, huh?

by Anonymousreply 3110/02/2012

The NewNormal just got a full season order, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 3210/02/2012

I almost wet my pants laughing when I heard the classic line "It was as bland as an Enya CD". And the laugh track confirmed I was right! Such wit.

(seriously, it's pathetic. producers need to come on DL and hire writers, certainly if they are going for gay camp. the people writing this crap on CBS need to be put in Movie Jail forever and never allowed near a script again).

by Anonymousreply 3310/02/2012

Citizen Cane?

by Anonymousreply 3410/02/2012

Oh dear God, could R27 be a bigger cunt?

by Anonymousreply 3510/02/2012

Gays should be supporting gay shows like this so we can get more.

by Anonymousreply 3610/02/2012

I thought the second episode was a little better.

by Anonymousreply 3710/02/2012

I think the people reacting are not getting it.

by Anonymousreply 3810/02/2012

I'm sure Michael only took this part for the money. I remember when Ugly Betty was cancelled and he said in one of the podcasts that he's only going to miss the money.

by Anonymousreply 3910/02/2012

The viewing audience is nowdays used to instant gratification. Either you like a show instantly or you switch to something else. And the general gay audience is (almost) impossible to please.

by Anonymousreply 4010/02/2012

Yes, I'm the OP I posted this in mocking. The show is terrible. Thanks for those who understood and played along!

by Anonymousreply 4110/02/2012

My grandmother loves this show, these are the types of gay guys she's comfortable with. She said she hasn't laughed this hard since Amos and Andy.

by Anonymousreply 4210/02/2012

Max M. does seem like an incredible jerk in person. I remember him being once Larry King with Sean Hayes. Max was going on about how he sometimes doesn't understand why actors at auditions don't provide him with what he wants and everything they could possibly need is right there in the room (meaning his material is such perfection it is the actors fault if they don't get a laugh.) Hayes got justifiably annoyed and kept saying no, I disagree, there is a lot of pressure in auditions etc.

by Anonymousreply 4310/02/2012

A year or so ago my partner and I had the good fortune to meet Michael Urie. He was such a nice guy and very friendly. We met him after a play where he played Rudy Guenrich(?).

Anyway, he was very nice (cute too).

by Anonymousreply 4410/02/2012

LOL r36

by Anonymousreply 4610/03/2012

r45 needs a clue - see r41

by Anonymousreply 4710/03/2012

It's not great, but it's not that bad either. Most of the issues stem from the writing. I think there's a good show hidden in there that could be brought out if KoMut would accept that they are not infallible.

I did like how they're writing around the fact that Brandon Routh can't act. That was legitimately funny.

by Anonymousreply 4810/03/2012

It is bad: the writing, the acting and the fucking set.

That backdrop with the buildings and the out-of-perspective water tower look as if on loan from the local community theater.

by Anonymousreply 4910/03/2012

[quote]producers need to come on DL and hire writers

At one time, maybe, but 90 percent of the humor around here these days is eldergays who think they're Jay Leno.

by Anonymousreply 5010/05/2012

I don't watch CBS. I'm under 70 years old.

by Anonymousreply 5110/05/2012

I watched the CBS sitcoms for the first time last Monday. They're all crap. I can't believe that's the best they can do. It's just bad writing, so unfunny.

Melissa McCarthy is a talented actress - she deserves much better than the show she has.

by Anonymousreply 5210/06/2012

Painfully bad. Michael seems like he's playing the same cardboard character he played on "Ugly Betty" only this time he's not self loathing. He's one note.

What a waste of that nice Jewish actor who plays the hetero.

by Anonymousreply 5310/06/2012

At least on UGLY BETTY, Urie had a) a fag hag sidekick - the fabulous Becky Newton, and b) a fabulous wardrobe (which has been passed along to Chris Colfer on GLEE).

Urie is a good actor (he stole HOW TO SUCK SEED on Broadway from such hams as Beau Bridges, Tammy Blanchard, and one of those Jonas brothers) but even he can't make this shoddy material work.

He did say, however, that he's asked his friend Judith Light to play his mother for sweeps. that could be fun...

by Anonymousreply 5410/06/2012

Go to the "Childhood Indicators You Were Gay" thread, R50. More genuine laughs there than 10 years on CBS and, yes, many from those wonderful eldergays you are so terrified of becoming. If you don't find anything funny on that thread, the problem is YOU, trust me.

by Anonymousreply 5510/06/2012

OP clearly hit his head and suffered severe brain damage when he stumbled upon Partners.

by Anonymousreply 5610/06/2012

In the pilot they did the same thing with Michael Urie they did with Sean Hayes way back in 1998 -- put him in drab, conservative clothes so he wouldn't overwhelm the audience with his queerness.

by Anonymousreply 5710/06/2012
Need more help? Click Here.