Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Chinese restaurant in Kentucky shut down after road kill found in kitchen

A Chinese restaurant in Kentucky is closed for business after officials found road-kill in its kitchen.

Health inspectors shuttered the Red Flower Chinese Restaurant in Williamsburg after customers saw two employees wheel in a dead deer stuffed in a trash can, WYMT-TV reported.

"It was really disturbing. There was actually a blood trail that they were mopping up behind the garbage can," customer Katie Hopkins told the local television station.

"There was like a tail, and like a foot and leg sticking out of the garbage can and they wheeled it straight back into the kitchen."

The owner claims that the deer, which his son reportedly picked up along Interstate 75, was never going to be served to customers. Instead, the owner said he intended to take the carcass home.

Environmental health inspector Paul Lawson told Lex18.com that the deer “had already been gutted” by the time he arrived at the restaurant, raising “many health and illness” issues.

"They said they didn't know that they weren't allowed to," Lawson told WYMT, adding that he's concerned that the owner may have committed a similar health violation before.

Officials immediately shut down the restaurant and cited the owner's son for possession of a "white-tailed deer without a tag," Lex18.com reported.

The eatery, however, won't be forced to close its doors for good.

Lawson said that it can reopen if they pass an inspection proving that they completely cleaned and disinfected the facilities, WYMT reported.

But customers say it doesn't matter what the restaurant does to clean up its act.

"I don't think I'll ever eat Chinese food ever again," Hopkins told WYMT.

by Anonymousreply 5810/07/2012

The owner should picked up on the hint of pending trouble when he opened that fortune cookie that read "You will soon be hanging on for dear life."

by Anonymousreply 110/01/2012

Ah LOVE Chinesey food!

by Anonymousreply 210/01/2012

If they put in a basement with an incinerator, the health department will never trouble them again.

by Anonymousreply 310/01/2012

Always a coupla rats gone home to Jesus!

by Anonymousreply 410/01/2012

No more Chinese food for me...gross

by Anonymousreply 510/01/2012

Oh deer.

by Anonymousreply 610/02/2012

Isn't this the norm in Kentucky?

by Anonymousreply 710/02/2012

Ahem, 'xcuse me, it's Kentucky. Don't blame the restaurant. Just tryin' to keep the customers satisfied.

by Anonymousreply 810/02/2012

There is a weekly segment on one of my local tv stations where a reporter goes to the restaurants that were rated lowest or closed by the health department. Half of them were crappy restaurants you would expect to be disgusting and would never set foot into anyway, the rest were all Chinese restaurants.

Most Chinese restaurants have truly disgusting, unsanitary kitchens. I only eat at Chinese/Asian restaurants that have open kitchens where I can see the cooks preparing the food. There are only 2 in my town that have open kitchens

by Anonymousreply 910/02/2012

When system fail, you be grateful to eat good hot plate of road kill.

by Anonymousreply 1010/02/2012

R1 tried too hard and bombed. Such a shame.

by Anonymousreply 1110/02/2012

I ordered Crab Rangoon not Crab Raccoon!

by Anonymousreply 1210/02/2012

usually it's take out not take in

by Anonymousreply 1310/02/2012

lol r12!

by Anonymousreply 1410/02/2012

I don't even want to know what's on their Poo Poo platter.

by Anonymousreply 1510/02/2012

Squirrels are good eatin'

by Anonymousreply 1710/02/2012

Truly, what's the big deal? It's fresh organic meat and a hell of a lot better for you than hamburgers processed in a slaughterhouse.

They used to donate roadkill to homeless shelters when I was growing up (mainly moose).

by Anonymousreply 1810/02/2012

R18, if you don't see the difference between roadkill and consumer approved food than there's something wrong with you. They don't know how long the deer was dead. It could have been on the side of the road for a day, 2 days, 3 days?

by Anonymousreply 1910/02/2012

I'm sure there are much scarier things served in these restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 2010/02/2012

Now I finally know why the chicken was trying to cross the road.

by Anonymousreply 2110/02/2012

Egg Drop Soup = Dropped Egg Soup.

by Anonymousreply 2210/02/2012

You want some more?

by Anonymousreply 2310/02/2012

Yee haw! Us Kentuckians shore knows hows to eat that there road kill! Whadda think we put in the Burgoo at THE KENTUCKY DERBY???

by Anonymousreply 2410/02/2012

No seriously, it's safe to cross the road...

by Anonymousreply 2510/02/2012

Burgoo is good.

by Anonymousreply 2610/02/2012

This kind of thing is normal is Kentucky, Chinese or not.

by Anonymousreply 2710/02/2012

Ya know [27] that's already been said and implied many times over in this thread. Now it's just tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 2810/03/2012

[27], why do I get the feeling that you've not been to Kentucky?

by Anonymousreply 2910/03/2012

R18, roadkill meat can be full of bone fragments or toxic material from burst organs.

by Anonymousreply 3010/03/2012

But it is all you can eat for $9.99!

by Anonymousreply 3110/03/2012

Seriously, you can NOT fucking trust American Chinese restaurants. None of them.

by Anonymousreply 3210/03/2012

I hear they have a special station lined up where you can get in a car and run over the animal of your choice, kind of like picking out your own lobster from the lobster tank.

by Anonymousreply 3310/03/2012

Why not, R32? What do you know?

by Anonymousreply 3410/03/2012

Never go in a Chinese Restaurant in the USA which has no Chinese people eating in it. If the majority of the patrons are Chinese, the quality will be higher.

by Anonymousreply 3510/03/2012

the dumplings will be off the menu then.

by Anonymousreply 3610/03/2012

R28/29, why can't you just spell out the poster you're referring to?

by Anonymousreply 3710/03/2012

Yum yum

by Anonymousreply 3810/03/2012

I sometimes fish along the bay where I live. There are many early mornings that an Asian family, who own a local restaurant, will come and crab and fish. The son told me they use the crab for stock and whatever fish they catch, they serve in their dishes. While I do the same thing in my home, I never thought it was appropriate for them to serve to customers since nothing is regulated or inspected. They also never measure the size of anything, just throw it in their cooler even when it's undersized. Just their culture I guess but it's wrong.

by Anonymousreply 4010/03/2012

Yes we will eat your dogs

by Anonymousreply 4110/03/2012

Lick my weight in wildcats

by Anonymousreply 4210/03/2012

[quote]Just their culture I guess but it's wrong.

So much about their culture is just wrong.

Those who have gone to China on their package tours with English speaking guides, 5-star hotels built for Western tourists, never venturing out on their own and come back saying "Oh it was so wonderful" hardly ever got a glimpse of China off the well-beaten tourist track.

by Anonymousreply 4310/03/2012

With two you get Bambi.

No alley cats in rural areas.

Pick one from column A, and one from the white line.

Saves a buck.

Saves MSG: no need to tenderize

Bumper crop

Faun Shui

doe mein

Stagger Lee's

Buck Luck's

New meaning to GM food

Mongolian Hot Radiator

Wonton's never out of season

It's the story Jews scare their kids with (must live NYC to geddit).

by Anonymousreply 4410/03/2012

R43, what will you see outside of the nice and touristy places?

by Anonymousreply 4510/03/2012

Hardworking people slaving at apple factory

by Anonymousreply 4610/04/2012

I don't think they can serve people as food R46. The local food inspectors, likely Chinese too, can be paid off to ignore road kill, dog or cat meat, but I doubt they could be paid off to ignore human meat.

by Anonymousreply 4710/04/2012

r35, I would say the opposite is true, at least in San Francisco. "Authentic" Chinese food here often (usually? always?) has inferior cuts of meat with less trimmed away, including parts that most Americans wouldn't really consider palatable (like chicken feet & other gristley mystery parts). Also, standards of kitchen cleanliness are worlds apart. When I first moved here long ago, I thought it was way cooler to be authentic, but quickly realized the downside.

Now I'll stick to Alice's, etc. -- places with predominantly NON Chinese diners.

by Anonymousreply 4810/04/2012

Most Chinese and a lot of asian places (but not Japanese or Korean) have totally different ideas of kitchen cleanliness. Japanese and Koreans restauranteurs take a lot of pride in cleanliness and quality in terms of maintaining the kitchen. I would never eat in a Chinese restaurant. Ick.

by Anonymousreply 4910/04/2012

We have a bay where everybody was allowed to go crabbing. People would get enough crab for their family and then go home and cook them.

People started noticing more and more Asians crabbing along the bay. There aren't many Asians out here at all. People started noticing a drop in the number of crabs in the bay. Turns out the Asians were from restaurants in NYC and they were removing many large baskets full of crabs every week.

Now you have to have a permit to crab and they had to hire someone to go around checking on how many crabs are being removed.

by Anonymousreply 5010/04/2012

I agree with R48. The "authenticity" of restaurants in NY's Chinatown = grease. The food is greasy and smelly. The meat cuts are definitely inferior. White people who demand the "authenticity" of Chinatown are a puzzle.

I agree about the standard of cleanliness as well. It's strange that the Chinese are so very industrious, yet don't care much about sanitary conditions. It's not like they're too lazy to clean up. They just don't see the point.

I remember reading an article after 9/11 about how the Pakistanis thought it was hilarious the way Americans were freaked out about anthrax and smallpox and other diseases and water contamination. They live with that stuff every day in Pakistan. They think cleanliness makes you too immuno-compromised. If you don't come up against dirt, animal dung,contaminated water then you will get sick all the time because your immune system hasn't been "toughened up" by exposure.

by Anonymousreply 5110/04/2012

Chicken feet is the best part!

by Anonymousreply 5210/04/2012

[quote]"Authentic" Chinese food here often (usually? always?) has inferior cuts of meat with less trimmed away, including parts that most Americans wouldn't really consider palatable (like chicken feet & other gristley mystery parts).

Absolutely true. Much "authentic" Chinese food would never be served in a Western restaurant.

The person preparing the food (I hesitate to call him/her a "cook") would just take a cleaver to a chicken, or whatever...chop it all into bits and the resulting massacre is then served with rice or noodles on your plate... cartilage, muscle, fat, bone, skin... and somewhere in there is some meat. I once found a jawbone with teeth on my plate and often your beef will be a chunk of fat with skin and sometimes hair/fur, and a small piece of meat attached that you try unsuccessfully to separate with your chopsticks. Often the washing up of dishes and pots will be done in the street or alley. This is the reality of authentic Chinese dining, in the "real" China... not the China of guided tours.

by Anonymousreply 5310/05/2012

Mainland verses Hong Kong R53. I can't even imagine what passes for food and is served in mainland China.

by Anonymousreply 5410/05/2012

Always trying to serve a... er... I mean save a buck...

by Anonymousreply 5510/05/2012

China still a third world country. Kentucky, and US, a second world country. Holland, Scandinavia first world countries.

Maybe Kentuck's 2 and a half. China's got more lettered citizens.

Literacy in the Belt limited to Bible and comic books; brain-passives delights!

Roadkill on rice probably better for one than Denny's or strip mall crap like McD, Pizza Hideous, even the Colonel.

Still, glad not in those parts. Tho'd rather be in non-invective, sweeter citizened Scand.

by Anonymousreply 5610/06/2012

R56 Where in the Bible Belt are you from?

by Anonymousreply 5710/06/2012

Ignorance is bliss if you dine in such places.

by Anonymousreply 5810/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.