Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

BOARDWALK EMPIRE, 9/30/12, "Bone for Tuna"

Bobby Cannavale is so unbelievably annoying it's hard to imagine tolerating the entire season with him.

Enjoyed seeing Billie the fun showgirl appearing at the very end.

Margaret's storyline with the clinic and the Catholic church is incredibly boring.

by Anonymousreply 4611/26/2012

Could someone please explain the significance of "Bone for Tune?"

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 110/01/2012

Buon Fortuna. Phonetically, the phrase sounds a lot like “Bone for Tuna” (hence, the title of aforementioned episode). It means “good fortune,” and can be used as a toast, or a friendly salutation,

by Anonymousreply 210/01/2012

Nucky wished Gyp Rossetti "Buon Fortuna," and the Iirsh guy wrote it down but did not understand Italish, so he wrote it as "Bone for tuna." Because Gyp is tiresomely hypersensitive to imagined insults, he took it as a sign that Nucky thought he wasn;t doing well and needed to better, which is why he killed the police chief who wished him "Good luck" (the English translation of "Buon fortuna").

We better not get into yet another stupid discussion about how the episode titles are not up to the one troll's standards, like last week.

by Anonymousreply 310/01/2012

Cannavale is great in this. I hadn't seen the new season before I read about it on here and was expecting him to be bad. He's great. Are you people bashing him fans of that dancer girl from bunheads that he broke up with ?

by Anonymousreply 410/01/2012

Thank you, OP. Cannavale also ruined "Nurse Jackie" with his scenery-chewing.

by Anonymousreply 510/01/2012

What OP said about Cannavale and his ridiculous, over-the-top "acting".

I would be inclined to think it's the way the director was asking him to play the character, but he does the exact same scene chewing on Nurse Jackie and other things I've seen him in.

This guy just can't act and seems to find work more to play a stereotype than anything else. Always the 'rough/gruff self-made Italian guy, thick in the head but with brutal street/business smarts'.

I hope they kill him off, soon. I can't handle the entire season with the show focusing on him 75% of the time.

by Anonymousreply 610/01/2012

They have to convey Bobby's menace before they kill him. Build the tension. I am loving the young Irish guy who works for Nucky. He still has the hots for Mrs. Nucky, too. You can tell.

I wish the tin man would've killed that guy who runs the warehouse and wears a derby, talks like one of the three stooges. He is vile.

by Anonymousreply 710/01/2012

R7, me too! I wish the freak warehouse guy would finally get what's coming to him.

I get that they're trying to build Cannavale's character as ruthless and deserving of a violent end, but it isn't coming across that way. It's coming across as gratuitous, hammy, horrible acting which seems to be the only way this particular actor can act. I have nothing against the guy, but I've just realized the last year how awful he is and I'm really surprised he gets work.

Oh, and R3 sounds like a psycho hall monitor who runs around calling people "trolls" when they misspell things or bring up questions he/she disagrees with. New here are you, R3?

by Anonymousreply 810/01/2012

I don't have a particular problem with BC's acting, but I do find the psycho character he plays tiresome (as a poster up-thread said). I'm finding it difficult to believe that in the violent world he inhabits, he hasn't pissed off someone so badly already with his massive over-sensitivity that he hasn't already been killed. I'd find it more believable if this psycho was early twenties, or something. But as old as he is? I'm just finding it distractingly difficult to buy, and annoying to watch.

I'd also like to see the end of annoying warehouse guy as well. He was okay as a very minor character, but he's had way too much air time this season.

by Anonymousreply 910/01/2012

Bobby's characterization is a cross between Silvio on The Sopranos and Al Pacino in Scarface. It's unsettling to watch. Love the finishing school for hookers that Gretchen Mol is running. Did anyone see the HBO congratulatory commercial with some of the cast of Boardwalk? The actor who plays the disfigured guy is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 1010/01/2012

R10, I often wonder if Bobby Cannavale is trying to mimic Pacino or even De Niro.

Pacino became an icon with his hammy, scene-chewing acting, but there was also always a lot of talent to back it up.

Cannavale seems almost like an SNL parody of that and it comes through in everything I've seen him him. I never watched Will & Grace, but on three other shows I've seen him on, it's been the exact same thing.

by Anonymousreply 1110/01/2012

[quote]The actor who plays the disfigured guy is gorgeous.

That's Jack Huston. Grandson of John Huston, nephew of Angelica. His mother is Lady Margot Lavinia Cholmondeley and his maternal grandfather was Hugh Cholmondeley, 6th Marquess of Cholmondeley. Through his maternal grandfather, Huston is descended from David Sassoon, the Treasurer of Baghdad, Mayer Amschel Rothschild, who founded the Rothschild family international banking dynasty, and Robert Walpole, the first Prime Minister of Great Britain.

by Anonymousreply 1210/01/2012

I can't find the thread for anything more recent than this episode, but I watched it tonight and jumped off the couch. I was so pissed off. I shouted Nooo! at my TV set! Fuck.

by Anonymousreply 1311/19/2012

There was no other way for it to end, was there. Shit.

by Anonymousreply 1411/19/2012

[quote] Cannavale seems almost like an SNL parody of that and it comes through in everything I've seen him him.

Which would be a legitimate criticism if the humor wasn't obviously intentional. I agree with r4, he's been the highlight of this season as far as I'm concerned. What a great, funny, psycho villain he's been, I hope this makes him a star.

by Anonymousreply 1511/19/2012

Cannavale is already as big as he'll ever get. He's done movies, he's doing stage work, he has this. For me, the real breakout stars of the series are Jack Huston, Charlie Cox and Gretchen Mol. I have the hots for the cute boy who plays Lucky Lucchiano, too. But Cox can definitely get it.

by Anonymousreply 1611/19/2012

I am bumping this. OWEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1711/19/2012

It was a terrible thing to do. I mean. I thought Gyp killing that guy he buried up to the neck in sand was hideous. But Shit.

by Anonymousreply 1811/19/2012

The character of Gyp is just too unbelievable. He's crazy and not a normal gangster way. No, I simply don't believe somebody that batshit would have been able to climb the ranks of the mob. Somebody would have killed him already. He's actually tedious to watch.

by Anonymousreply 1911/19/2012

He's a psychopath. Wasn't Dutch Schultz a psychopath? It seems to me from what I've seen, Masseria used him as some kind of enforcer, and he rose in the ranks because he scared the shit out of people. As he got bigger, his psychosis took hold. He got worse. it could happen.

I knew Masseria wouldn't get whacked last night because I remember a different movie where he got whacked by someone from the Lucciano crowd. Soon it will be time to say adeiu to Arnold Rothstein. Never did figure out who had him hit.

Anyone else ever see the movie, Mobsters? The movie with Christian Slater and Anthony Quinn? F. Murray Abraham played a wonderful Rothstein.

by Anonymousreply 2011/19/2012

Rothstein still has a few years yet.

[quote]On November 4, 1928, Arnold Rothstein was shot and mortally wounded during a business meeting at Manhattan's Park Central Hotel at Seventh Avenue near 55th Street.[12] He died the next day at the Stuyvesant Polyclinic Hospital in Manhattan.[1] The shooting was allegedly linked to debts owed from a 3-day, high stakes poker game which he had participated in the previous month with several associates and acquaintances. Rothstein was said to have had a cold streak, and owed $320,000 at the end of the game. He refused to pay the debt, claiming the game was fixed. The hit was arranged to punish Rothstein for reneging on this debt.[13]

by Anonymousreply 2111/19/2012

Yes, but the gambing debt thing was probably a pretext. Historucally, they didn't assassinate someone who owed ythat much money. Especially if ythey know they're good for it.

Rothstein would never besmirch his own reputation by welching on a bet. If the game was rigged, he would not have stayed and played. He was nobody's fool and he was a man of great stature.He broke up Tammany Hall. He was a legitimate power broker in NYC.

There was a lot of animosity between the Italian Gangs like Masseria's, and Marranzano's, and the Irish and the Jews. Especially the Jews.

In real life, Masseria made no pretense of the fact he resented Lucciano for being close to that crowd. He felt it was a betrayal,Masseria didn't trust Lucciano, and Masseria was a ruthless bastard. In real life.

This period was a time when there was a lot of rivalry for controll of bootlegging. Prhibition was in it's golden era. So there's every possibility Rothstein was hit for reasons other than the bogus poker debt.

In any event, Rothstein gets whacked in 1928 at the age of 46, and Masseria gets whacked eating in a restaurant in Coney Island in 1931. Nucky dies of natural causes in 1968.

by Anonymousreply 2211/19/2012

So do we have any idea what year it is? I know it's Prohibition, and I know WW I is over for a few years. I'd say it's somewhere around what? 1923?

by Anonymousreply 2311/19/2012

I believe it's 1923. Last season was 1921 and they skipped forward a few years for this season.

by Anonymousreply 2411/19/2012

With Owen dead and Jimmy, please keep Tin Man alive.

I am fearful and Gretchen Mol will be next...and then she will be out of a job and back dating Harvey W.

by Anonymousreply 2511/19/2012

Yes, it's 1923. The historical event with Gaston Means and the Justice Department aide who commits suicide happened that year. President Harding is about to die later this year.

by Anonymousreply 2611/19/2012

Harding dies in '24. Jesse Smith was a real person and he did commit suicide! I love this series! Talk about mediocrities, Harding dies and is succeeded by Calvin Coolidge. Ugh. It's a wonder we survived. I also read that Hoover was in the Harding cabinet and he was disgusted with the level of corruption.

by Anonymousreply 2711/19/2012

OK, watch in this thread then.

by Anonymousreply 2811/19/2012

Any theories on what happens to Margaret now?

by Anonymousreply 2911/19/2012

Well, I think Nukkie surmised she was overly distraught, but how he handles it will determine whether she tells him about the baby.

Maybe Nukkie and Margaret have the baby and raise it. I don't think she'd tell him she and Owen were planning to run off

She willonly admit to the affair and the pregnancy if Nukkie acts sympathetic. If he doesn't she will have her doctor friend get rid of the baby for her. Altho I can't see how she would abort Owen's baby.

Maybe she'll leave Nukkie and not tell him she's pregnant. Maybe she'll go away on a trip to Ireland, have the kid, then come home with it and say he's adopted.

Maybe pigs will fly and shit on the moon. I don't know!

by Anonymousreply 3011/19/2012

I think BC is brilliant. They apparently wanted someone capable of portraying a sociopath with a huge inferiority complex. BC doesn't write the script and if his character is based on a real life person this may be a fairly accurate depiction of him. The character is sooo different from all the other gangsters. Over-the top? Maybe. Brutal, graphic, disturbing. Was getting a little bored with focus on Nucky and Margaret. But Gyp is making this season interesting to say the least even his sexual deviancy. I'm sure he will be killed off, isn't everybody at some point. Sorry to see Jimmy then Owen die. That's what makes the show so good. I think it is a brilliantly scripted and acted show.

by Anonymousreply 3111/20/2012

Nucky. He's based on Enoch "Nucky" Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 3211/20/2012

They've hit shark jumping territory with the scene devouring, over-te-top Bobby Cannavale character. Enough already. I'm already ff'ing through most of his scenes. It's become embarrassing for the entire show at the point.

I think we'll end up seeing Nucky making a deal with Richard... Nucky gets a sniper and the Tin Man gets Gillian out of the way, little Jimmy and the girl, thus having the family he's always pining for in his little scrap book. Plus, he'll likely get the estate until the boy, at that point his son, has coming to him.

And bullshit on those making excuses for Cannavale. The guy acts like this in nearly everything he's in. Just over the top, chewy, community college-style acting. He's dreadful and is making a sitcom of the show.

by Anonymousreply 3311/20/2012

..and could somebody PLEASE explain the relationship between the Attorney General and the fatty bear who offed himself? We're they lovers? Brothers? Cousins? Why were they living together and why, a few episodes back did the bear break down and begin sobbing at the Boy Scout banquet? That entire storyline has been very confusing to me.

And the old fat guy with the over-the-top Southern fried, Foghorn Leghorn accent needs to dial it back a little.

by Anonymousreply 3411/20/2012

There have been so many scenes where Gyp seemingly goes off on somebody for no reason that it doesn't even resonate anymore. The only interesting thing would have been if that guy's whose cousin he killed decided to go off and shoot Gyp himself. Otherwise it's just tired.

by Anonymousreply 3511/20/2012

[quote]..and could somebody PLEASE explain the relationship between the Attorney General and the fatty bear who offed himself?

From the Boardwalk Empire Wiki:

"Jess Smith based on a real-life person of the same name who caused scandal for the Harding administration through his involvement in bootlegging. Smith is a friend of politician Harry Daugherty. He served as a gofer for Daugherty during the 1920 presidential campaign and then becomes an aide in the Department of Justice after Harding wins the presidency and appoints Daugherty as Attorney General. Smith becomes involved in bootlegging when Daugherty's political ally Nucky Thompson introduces him to George Remus."

by Anonymousreply 3611/20/2012

Thanks R36

by Anonymousreply 3711/20/2012

"I'm not really doin' questions and answers right now."

God, I hate this character.

by Anonymousreply 3811/20/2012

I can't help it. I miss OWen. I'm really pissed. I really like Charlie Cox. Now who knows when we'll see hi again. I went to IMDB and he has nothing listed. I don't have IMDB-Pro.

by Anonymousreply 3911/20/2012

So they kill Cox and won't kill Bobby C's character? And Gillian will be next?

by Anonymousreply 4011/20/2012

Charlie played the gay Duke who was involved with Thomas on Downton. I think he's beautiful and a talented actor. I hope we see more of him. I was very sorry to see him get killed in the series. Is he gay in real life?

by Anonymousreply 4111/21/2012

So what is happening w/Margaret? Did she leave Atlantic City immediately for safety ? Is she leaving Nucky?

Gawd! Will be sooo glad to have Bobby C finally get killed off next episode.

by Anonymousreply 4211/26/2012

Nucky got Margaret and the kids out immediately because he know Gyp's men were coming.

by Anonymousreply 4311/26/2012

No more posts? Where are the BE fans on this board?

by Anonymousreply 4411/26/2012

I haven't watched the episode yet!

by Anonymousreply 4511/26/2012

I adore Charlie. I don't know if he's family, but he certainly was conviuncing as the Irish rogue. I was really hurt that they killed him, yet I knew it could end no other way for him. Nucky would never have permitted him to live knowing he was fucking Margaret. They wouldn't have escaped. That was Owen's fairytale.

by Anonymousreply 4611/26/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!