Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

August Osage County: Filming now.

Produced by George Clooney. What do we think of the cast? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Sam Shepard as Beverly Weston

Meryl Streep as Violet Weston

Margo Martindale as Mattie Fae Aiken

Chris Cooper as Charles Aiken

Benedict Cumberbatch as Little Charles Aiken

Julia Roberts as Barbara Fordham

Ewan McGregor as Bill Fordham

Abigail Breslin as Jean Fordham

Julianne Nicholson as Ivy Weston

Juliette Lewis as Karen Weston

Dermot Mulroney as Steve Heidebrecht

Misty Upham as Johnna Monevata

by Anonymousreply 6412/30/2012

Some pics taken on the set....

by Anonymousreply 109/30/2012

Desperate casting. Especially with Violet Weston.

by Anonymousreply 209/30/2012

Umm...where's Patty Duke?

by Anonymousreply 309/30/2012

More photos from August Osage County:

by Anonymousreply 409/30/2012

Meryl AND Abigail? Did a datalounger cast this movie?

by Anonymousreply 510/01/2012

It's fucking lame that they are using UK actors. This is one of the great American plays of the 21st Century.

by Anonymousreply 610/01/2012

How does Benedict Cumberbatch keep getting so much work?

He's not all that.

by Anonymousreply 710/01/2012

R6, if UK actors agree to never appear in a film of an American play again, then Us actors should have the same courtesy and quit attempting Shakespeare.

by Anonymousreply 810/01/2012

Cast looks good other than Roberts, but with her pal Clooney producing what do you expect?

by Anonymousreply 910/01/2012

I wonder if Meryl has put the moves on Benny yet. Isn't there some DL meme about her banging all of her male co-stars?

by Anonymousreply 1010/01/2012

Benedict Cumberbatch is in this? That'll be really convincing.

This movie stinks like a shit sandwich. I won't be going.

by Anonymousreply 1110/01/2012

[quote]Margo Martindale as Mattie Fae Aiken

Love Margo!

by Anonymousreply 1210/01/2012

I'm sorry, but as much as I love many of these actors, this looks like another star-studded misfire that's already too self-important to sustain interest. Some consideration should be given to acting style when casting, and this is all over the place--Streep, Martindale, and Cooper will probably seem to be in an entirely different film than the others, with Shepard in some one man show of his own.

Roberts doesn't deserve to appear in an Abigail Breslin film at this point, that's how obvious the smoke and mirrors have become.

by Anonymousreply 1310/01/2012

Oh c'mon r11, I've been fixing to do this fo months now. I'm usin' a voice coach y'all.

by Anonymousreply 1410/01/2012

Why is Clooney in those pics? Is he a producer?

by Anonymousreply 1510/01/2012

Jane Fonda should have been Violet

by Anonymousreply 1610/01/2012

It's not a plot-driven play, it's character studies. Which, IMO, makes using anyone other than American actors unforgivable. It would be like casting Americans in a film version of "Look Back in Anger" or any of those Brit working class films of the 50s/60s.

by Anonymousreply 1710/01/2012

I love Cumberbatch, Cooper, McGregor, and Streep, but consider Julia Roberts the kiss of death for any serious film. I hate to say it, but this looks like the cast of one of those disaster movies from the seventies where they are all stuck in a burning elevator or something.

by Anonymousreply 1810/01/2012

"Jane Fonda should have been Violet"

Not sure if Fonda could really pull off the truly low-down semi-trasiness of the character (she could certainly do the mean, drug-addled part). Frankly, I'm not 100% certain Streep can either.

This part is perfect for Grace Zabriskie, but there's no way she'd get cast, and she's sort of done this already on BIG LOVE.

I don't get Cumberbatch as the mentally slow Little Charles, but maybe he'll surprise us.

by Anonymousreply 1910/01/2012

He's the greatest actor of his generation. You heard it here first.

by Anonymousreply 2010/01/2012

R9, I thought Clooney&Roberts had a falling out? Or does he just recognize that she still has a name to sell movies overseas? Is Clooney now a producer, instead of a director and actor? (See Argo)

by Anonymousreply 2110/01/2012

Yeah, r20 - Gary Oldman was slobbering all over his knob in the commentary for Tinker Tailor Solder Spy.

by Anonymousreply 2210/01/2012

Ok, so Gary Oldman said it first. With his mouth full.

by Anonymousreply 2310/01/2012

A drug-addicted woman with mouth cancer. Perfect role for Meryl. Her arsenal of mannerisms must be totally spent by now. Tick, tick, tick

by Anonymousreply 2410/01/2012

Cumberbatch will be amazing.

by Anonymousreply 2510/01/2012

Read much, r15?

by Anonymousreply 2610/01/2012

Oh, here we go again on the English thing. Get over it.

Especially in this case where there are only two Brits in the entire very large cast.

by Anonymousreply 2710/01/2012

Don't they often cast internationally to increase the appeal to overseas audiences?

by Anonymousreply 2810/01/2012

Patty Duke should be Violet.

Will Ewan McGregor be showing off his big intact penis again?

by Anonymousreply 2910/01/2012

I'd love to have seen Patty Duke as Violet, Laura Linney as Barbara, Kathleen Turner as Mattie Fae, Chloe Moretz as Jean, Anthony Edwards as Bill, Josh Brolin as Steve and Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Little Charles.

by Anonymousreply 3010/02/2012

I believe this will be one of Meryl's greatest triumphs.

by Anonymousreply 3110/03/2012

Julia Roberts - that's a dealbreaker.

It doesn't matter who else is in it, she ruins everything she touches.

by Anonymousreply 3210/03/2012

I guarantee you JR will be angry and petulant as Big Barb, totally one note and insufferable. This role plays right into her humorless streak that ruined her appearance in those Oceans films.

by Anonymousreply 3310/03/2012

I agree, r33.

Our only hope is the large cast: they will eclipse her awfulness with sheer talent. Meryl alone will make us forget JR is even in this film.

Ocean's Eleven was an ensemble piece as well, but Clooney and Pitt are as one-note as JR, and therefore my formula doesn't apply to that series.

by Anonymousreply 3410/03/2012

Macgregor can't do an American accent AT ALL. Neither can Cumberbtch. I love the Poseidon reference. So spot on

by Anonymousreply 3510/03/2012

Very interesting cast. I agree with R30 that Laura Linney should have been cast as Barbara instead of Julia Roberts.

I like Roberts in some of her roles (Mystic Pizza, Pretty Woman) and think she is strongest in lighter, rom/com shows. I do not think she has the chops to do August justice. Linney on the otherhand could.

by Anonymousreply 3710/04/2012

Did someone forget Sam Shepherd, op?

by Anonymousreply 3810/04/2012

I don't understand casting all these Brits in such an American play. That is like casting an American to play a quintessential Brit, someone like ...Maggie Thacher

by Anonymousreply 3910/04/2012

McGregor's American accent is OK but Bill should be played by someone quintessentially American like Anthony Edwards or even George Clooney.

by Anonymousreply 4010/04/2012

Her role may be minor, but this film will fail on the basis of Abigail Breslin alone. What was that fucktard Clooney thinking?

by Anonymousreply 4110/04/2012

The cast composition is ... interesting, to put it mildly. Meryl will steal the show, as to be expected, but I'd put Margo Martindale on my Oscar short list for Best Supporting Actress *immediately*. The casting of Sam Shepard is interesting, given his near-complete lack of acting roles in recent years. I have no qualm with Ewan or Benedict being cast, as both are superb actors. The casting of Julia Roberts, Julianne Lewis and Dermot Mulroney boggles the mind, as this is not a remake of "My Best Friend's Wedding."

But yeah, I can't think of any more obvious upcoming Oscar bait, period. The *only* question mark is whether it can successfully transition from stage to screen.

by Anonymousreply 4210/04/2012

"It's not a plot-driven play, it's character studies. Which, IMO, makes using anyone other than American actors unforgivable. It would be like casting Americans in a film version of "Look Back in Anger" or any of those Brit working class films of the 50s/60s."

So would you also object to Ralph Richardson as James Tyrone?

Besides which, McGregor, who plays Americans very well, and Cumberbatch are the only Brits in the cast. Everyone else is American.

by Anonymousreply 4310/04/2012

"Julianne Lewis?" huh?

What do either Ms. Lewis or Ms. Nicholson - not sure which you are referring to - have to do with My Best Friend's Wedding?

by Anonymousreply 4410/04/2012

Yummy Dermot Mulroney. HUGE PENIS A BALLS! Sexy!

by Anonymousreply 4510/04/2012

R40, Is Clooney giving up acting and directing for producing?

by Anonymousreply 4610/04/2012

Sorry, R44, I meant *Juliette* Lewis, of course. And yes, I realize she wasn't in "My Best Friend's Wedding"; my point was a) Julia and Dermot were and b) Juliette is better-known for similar fluff as opposed to serious actor work. Her most recent gig was as a white-trash secretary on the quickly cancelled TV version of "The Firm"!

by Anonymousreply 4710/04/2012

I read the synopsis on wikipedia and it doesn't seem like a movie that will make much money.

by Anonymousreply 4810/04/2012

Juliette Lewis:

Husbands and Wives (Woody Allen)

Cape Fear (Martin Scorsese) academy award nomination, top three National Society of Film Critics (she and Judy Davis lost to Jane Horrocks), top three New York film Critics (she and Kate Nelligan lost to Judy Davis)

Natural Born Killers (best actress Venice Film Festival)

Conviction (best supporting actress, Boston Society of Film Critics 2010 - so much for her recent work being confined to her work on "The Firm")

Gaudi Afternoon (with Judy Davis, Marcia Gay Harden, Lilli Taylor)

The Other Sister (with Diane Keaton)

The Basketball Diaries (with Leonardo DiCaprio)

Kalifornia

What's Eating Gilbert Grape? (with Johnnie Depp and Leonardo Di Caprio)

Hardly a career to lambast, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4910/04/2012

Juliette Lewis belongs in that fucking whacked out play -much more so than JR.

She is actually a very watchable featured player and I always love when she pops up in a film somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 5010/04/2012

[7] I agree with [20] that Cumberbatch is a thrilling actor. He's been known in the UK for some time. Now with Sherlock he's known everywhere. I saw him in Frankenstein as the monster; I also saw Jonny Miller, and Cumberbatch kicked Jonny Miller's ass. And I think Johnny Miller is very good.

Cumberbatch recently was interviewed in Cheltenham and his session sold out very quickly, to the extent that at J.K. Rowling's session, she announced that she was the "warm up act" for Cumberbatch. He stayed until after midnight meeting the fans and signing autographs.

Supposedly he's going to be the villain in the James Bond film after the one that's coming out soon, but he claims to know nothing about that, so who knows. He's in talks now to star as Julian Armitage, the WikiLeaks guy.

by Anonymousreply 5110/14/2012

They should have cast the Broadway originals.

It is dismissed.

by Anonymousreply 5210/14/2012

Cumberbatch is all that, but this isn't such a great use of him.

by Anonymousreply 5310/14/2012

[quote]I don't understand casting all these Brits in such an American play. That is like casting an American to play a quintessential Brit, someone like ...Maggie Thacher

All these Brits???

Streep, Roberts, Cooper, Lewis, Mulronrey, Breslin, Shepard are ALL American. So is Clooney- if you're counting.

by Anonymousreply 5410/14/2012

[53] I also agree this isn't the best use of him. I think it appealed to his theatrical side. I'm sure he loves the money from Star Trek and the Hobbit but I'm also sure he wants to do more than that. He was just in a huge miniseries in England, Parade's End, that received very good reviews. I hope they bring it over here for public television.

by Anonymousreply 5510/14/2012

Cumberbatch will not have the childlike quality which is needed for Little Charles. He'll just seem "mentally challenged."

by Anonymousreply 5610/14/2012

Parade's End will be shown on HBO early in 2013. It's an HBO production.

by Anonymousreply 5710/14/2012

the house and land 138 acres north of the movie house is for sale. You can own the property and view the movie home anytime.

by Anonymousreply 5810/19/2012

Huh, Roy?

by Anonymousreply 5910/20/2012

bump

by Anonymousreply 6011/28/2012

Who is playing the maid?

by Anonymousreply 6111/28/2012

I wonder what Cumberbatch is like in the sack.

by Anonymousreply 6211/28/2012

by Anonymousreply 6312/30/2012

Julia Roberts can be great, sometimes. She was fantastic in Closer and ... Hmm.

by Anonymousreply 6412/30/2012
Need more help? Click Here.