Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I hate to be a store-bought ice cream snob, but...

Against my better judgment i purchased a lower -priced yet with more in the carton brand.

Ugh, talk about a case of the trots.

Otoh, I never have problems with the expensive premium brands like Starbucks and Ben & Jerry's.

Why is that? What's the difference in production between cheaper brands of store bought ice cream and the expensive ones?

by Anonymousreply 12506/27/2014

Um... did you read the ingredients?

A good ice cream has four or five ingredients max and you should be able to read all of them.

by Anonymousreply 109/30/2012

OP, next time read the package. You purchased Frosty Paws ice cream for dogs.

by Anonymousreply 209/30/2012

Some store brands are better than others, but they rarely natch premium quality brands.

by Anonymousreply 309/30/2012

I don't know what it is, r1, but I avoid any ice cream below Blue Bell in quality and I never drink fast food milk shakes.

by Anonymousreply 409/30/2012

Graeter's. The best.

Kroger just started selling it here.

by Anonymousreply 509/30/2012

It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy.

by Anonymousreply 609/30/2012

I still eat Haagen-Daz.

It's the only brand I can tolerate.

Their cherry with chocolate chunk is amazing-I just had some tonight.

by Anonymousreply 709/30/2012

all ice creams make me very gassy

by Anonymousreply 809/30/2012

More sugar less milk and cream i imagine. I dont buy anything below blue bell in texas. Its worth a little more.

by Anonymousreply 909/30/2012

R1 is correct about a good ice cream only having a few ingredients.

Some cheap ice creams are whipped with so much air to create more product for less money. Edy's is particularly guilty of this.

by Anonymousreply 1009/30/2012

The best ice cream you will ever find can be had at your state university's dairy bar which is operated by the university's agriculture dept. These institutions stick to the strict tried and true recipes for ice cream, no high fructose corn syrup, no preservatives, no sugar substitutes, no growth hormone fed cows. Of the store bought varieties, Ben & Jerry's remains the gold standard even though they were bought out by Unilever a few years ago. Somehow Ben & Jerry seemed to have maintained the recipes even under new ownership. Always beware of corporate buyouts, because as soon as the big parent company takes over they start altering the recipes to include the garbage because its cheaper and because they have relationships with Monsanto and big agra-businesses that push that crap down our throats.

Brighams ice cream (a New England institution) used to be really good but the company went bankrupt and they were bought out by some venture capital firm which closed all of the Brighams stores in New England and altered the ice cream. It is still available in the stores but it is just not as good any more which is a shame.

by Anonymousreply 1109/30/2012

Seriously, ice cream snobbery?

by Anonymousreply 1209/30/2012

R13- I do love Ronnybrook. You can find it at Whole Foods too.

I agree- Buying Ben & Jerry's, which you can find in any bodega for $5, does not qualify you as an ice cream snob.

by Anonymousreply 1409/30/2012

OP, the bad stuff is basically eating a bucket of antibiotics; your guts are fucked up because you've just stripped them of all their good bacteria. Most US dairy cows are pumped full of antibiotics all day long every day, fed them, washed in them until they die of some antibiotic resistant bacterial disease. Same with poultry.

by Anonymousreply 1509/30/2012

OP, Are you sensitive to HFCS? Some ice creams (Blue Bunny) contain too many artificial ingredients that may cause stomach distress. Or it could be too cold, so you have to consume less at a time.

by Anonymousreply 1609/30/2012

It's ridiculous to read of "snobbery" among fools who don't have the sense to simply take a few minutes to make their own ice cream. What is wrong with these sad creatures who jabber about crapping out bad stuff and buying commercial products that are not only overprices but that never capture the taste of what ice cream can be.

The only poster who comes close is the one suggesting people run to their state agriculture schools' dairy bars. But not everyone wants to take a 150 mile drive for a pint, and it's still a poor second to just making your own.

Ben and Jerry. Starbucks.

by Anonymousreply 1709/30/2012

[quote]Seriously, ice cream snobbery?

It isn't snobbery; it's indigestion. Even something like Borden's will do a number on my gut.

by Anonymousreply 1909/30/2012

B&J's is filled with guar gum, wheat flour and soybean oil. It is also very, very sweet. Having said that, I love the Karamel Sutra.

by Anonymousreply 2009/30/2012

Holy shit, this thread has the makings of a DL classic. We're only 20 responses in and we've already got at least four or five different kinds of DL assholes all in one thread.

by Anonymousreply 2110/01/2012

Ice cream... bad?

by Anonymousreply 2210/01/2012

Was it a sugar-free ice cream, OP? Artificial sweeteners have a laxative effect.

by Anonymousreply 2310/01/2012

Blue Bell Ice Cream is the secret weapon of Republicans in southern red states. That is how they get the votes.

by Anonymousreply 2410/01/2012

I buy Blue Bell because it's affordable yet good (tried Blue Bunny and it was crappy). Since, as a broke student, I cant afford the higher brands, is Blue Bell ok? This is a serious question, cause I find that it tastes pretty good but if the others taste better, I guess I can buy a higher quality brand once every two months

by Anonymousreply 2510/01/2012

Ben & Jerry's cookie dough is my fav, as I eat 2 pints a night

by Anonymousreply 2610/01/2012

Don't forget the trolls, r21. The HFCS troll seems to be here upthread.

by Anonymousreply 2710/01/2012

Brighams had the most incredible hot fudge. I've never found anything like it.

by Anonymousreply 2910/01/2012

Meijer brand Moose Tracks FTW

by Anonymousreply 3010/01/2012

[quote]The best ice cream you will ever find can be had at your state university's dairy bar which is operated by the university's agriculture dept.

So true. Babcock Hall dairy store at the Univ. of Wisconsin is the bomb.

That said, Straus Family Creamery is really, really good and also organic. It just doesn't come in vats.

by Anonymousreply 3110/01/2012

Blue-Bell Peach Cobbler ice-cream is food of the gods. Seriously. I think they put crack in it, it's so addictive.

by Anonymousreply 3210/01/2012

The petty snobbery of Dataloungers is at times insufferable. This thread is a good example.

by Anonymousreply 3310/01/2012

I advise you all to buy a pint of Graeter's Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip.

by Anonymousreply 3410/01/2012

Growing up, my state university was Rutgers. I don't think they have an agriculture department, much less a dairy bar.

So I guess Thomas Sweet's in Princeton remains the best bet in Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 3510/01/2012

It's not the ice cream it's from eating out guy's asses. You got that Matthew Rush illness.

by Anonymousreply 3610/01/2012

If you have not tried Graeter's, then you're missing out.

They are currently expanding into new markets.

Enter your zip to find out if Graeter's is sold near you.

by Anonymousreply 3710/01/2012

I'm sure OP used a coupon to buy his store-bought ice cream. I, on the other hand, only make my own ice cream from scratch using nothing but farm fresh ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 3810/01/2012

OP, you could have had a bout of lactose intolerance. That can cause the symptoms you describe when eating dairy products. It is also possible that the ice cream was prepared badly and you may have had a bout with bactiria like salmonella.

Ny the way, here in Ohio, Pierre's Ice Cream is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 3910/01/2012

r38 is illiterate and a megalomaniac.

by Anonymousreply 4010/01/2012

r33 is right.

by Anonymousreply 4110/01/2012

I don't eat ice cream anymore but if I did it would be B&J. I have converted to FroYo and tthe best I've had is Stonyfield's Organic. Their mint chocolate chip is seriously good.

by Anonymousreply 4210/01/2012

[quote]I, on the other hand, only make my own ice cream from scratch using nothing but farm fresh ingredients.

Me too -- & I have my own cow!

In fact, for the salted caramel flavor, I make my own salt from my own sea.

by Anonymousreply 4410/01/2012

I'm a woman -- I milk myself!!!

by Anonymousreply 4510/01/2012

R44 weighs 900 pounds.

by Anonymousreply 4610/01/2012

R45 wins and shuts the thread the down. Way to go babe!

by Anonymousreply 4710/01/2012

[quote] I advise you all to buy a pint of Graeter's Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip.

I concur. Ralphs (Kroger) in L.A. just started carrying this and it is my new crack.

by Anonymousreply 4810/01/2012

The store brand ice cream and frozen yogurt at Publix is far superior to Ben & Jerry's and every other national brand.

by Anonymousreply 4910/01/2012

It's not very fashionable but Breyer's is still a good choice. All natural with only 5 ingredients. They even sell it at Whole Foods.

by Anonymousreply 5010/01/2012

Blue Bell's entire marketing strategy seems to be, "I know! We'll just add ⅓ MORE sweetener to all our flavors! We'll be the sweetest ice cream in the marketplace!"

by Anonymousreply 5110/01/2012

Lifeway frozen kefir for me!

by Anonymousreply 5210/01/2012

LOL I feel bad for anyone who has to shop at a store called Publix. Sounds very tacky.

by Anonymousreply 5310/01/2012

I miss Publix!

I moved from ATL to another state and there are no Publix Grocery Stores here! : (

EXCELLENT grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 5410/01/2012

I love having 'the trots', so cleansing and refreshing, it is, it is!

by Anonymousreply 5510/01/2012

Publix is fine, the name is frightening.

by Anonymousreply 5610/01/2012

Publix is just a plain, run-of-the-mill grocery store. It's not Whole Foods or Balducci's.

by Anonymousreply 5710/01/2012

or...Dorothy Lane

by Anonymousreply 5810/01/2012

Thanks, R48 -- but you may mean R46, who certainly deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 5910/01/2012

How sad for you dirty poorsies who have to go to grocery stores and touch things.

by Anonymousreply 6010/01/2012

R61: Is that you, Ann?

by Anonymousreply 6110/01/2012

Never buy store ice cream. You learned the hard way OP. In fact nobody needs to eat ice cream anyway. It's not good for you. Leave it.

by Anonymousreply 6210/01/2012

Well Scotch and cigars aren't good for you either. Not giving them up along with ice cream.

As Dana/George said, "Na. Ga. Da!"

I wonder if they make Scotch flavor sorbet?

by Anonymousreply 6310/01/2012

You can start here, R64, & tinker with the "recipe" to suit your taste.

by Anonymousreply 6410/06/2012

Someone I know, who does not have particularly good taste in certain things, mentioned repeatedly that Breyers was his favorite ice cream. I scoffed because the one time I'd had it, it'd been disgusting (I also believe the fewer ingredients, the better).

I agreed to humor him, and found it even more unappetizing than when I had first tried it. And the texture wasn't creamy, but felt like it had been chemically engineered to be creamy (an almost gelatinous feel). I later checked the carton and noticed that it's now called "Bryers Frozen Dairy Dessert". They can't legally call it ice cream, I guess.

Why would a company willingly alter a product to the point that it barely resembles what it's meant to be? And is the average American that hapless and undiscerning to buy enough of this "frozen dairy dessert" to help Breyers remain a successful company?

by Anonymousreply 6510/06/2012

[quote]That said, Straus Family Creamery is really, really good and also organic. It just doesn't come in vats.

Where can you buy this?

by Anonymousreply 6610/06/2012

[quote]If you're gonna be a snob, you might as well go all the way and just buy Ronnybrook or Ciao Bella. I buy Ronnybrook exclusively at the Chelsea Market or the Union Square Farmer's Market. But even you people should be able to get Ciao Bella at your local Pic 'n Pay or whatever middling grocery stores you frequent on Main St.

Ciao Bella doesn't sell ice cream, you dumb fuck.

by Anonymousreply 6710/06/2012

I always like Braum's back when I lived in Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 6810/06/2012

I never buy anything larger than a pint because it's all shit and filled with air. I don't know why people would buy gallons of ice cream in those giant tubs like Dreyer's or Edi's. They take up so much room in your freezer and they taste so fluffy and horrible.

by Anonymousreply 6910/06/2012

News flash mabey people don't know it but Chipoltle does have harmones.

by Anonymousreply 7107/07/2013

Thrifty Ice Cream is still the best store-bought ice cream around, but it's only available in Southern California (and maybe Arizona?) at Rite-Aid drug stores. Rite-Aid bought out Thrifty Drug Stores about 20 years ago but very wisely kept the Thrifty Ice Cream and the name.

It's still better than even the premium (Graeters, Starbucks, Haagen-Daz, etc.) ice creams available on store shelves.

by Anonymousreply 7207/07/2013

[quote]And is the average American that hapless and undiscerning to buy enough of this "frozen dairy dessert" to help Breyers remain a successful company?

by Anonymousreply 7307/07/2013

I like friendly's chocoalate almond chip as regular ice cream. My fave right now: haagen daaz gelato sea salt caramel. Ciao Bella Blood orange, Mango, and key lime gelatos are also fab.

by Anonymousreply 7407/07/2013

Having sugar withdrawal, R71?

R39 is right. There are ice cream makers that are small, fit in the freezer and make it very easy to create the real thing. You'll never taste anything better than fresh peach ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 7507/07/2013

Probably milk?cream? but you know what's weird, OP, I would normally agree with you 100%, but I have 2 or 3 times recently had excellent ice cream that was from a big tub bough at a Sam's Club! so go, figure...

by Anonymousreply 7707/07/2013

My friend had a late-term miscarriage, but still ended up with the boobies and lactation. She used one of those breast pumps and made a batch of strawberry ice cream. It *tasted* of miscarriage.

by Anonymousreply 7807/07/2013

r78, If you'er trying to say cheaper brands use milk and pricier brands use cream you're wrong. If it's made from milk it's called ice milk.

Apparently, "frozen dessert" is made from something called "butter-sugar" plus chemicals.

by Anonymousreply 7907/07/2013

My current favorite: Talenti caramel cookie crunch gelato

by Anonymousreply 8007/07/2013

Graeter's is being carried by Fairway, although not on a regular basis. But it's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 8107/07/2013

Another suggestion

by Anonymousreply 8207/07/2013

I liked John Weir better before this last one.

by Anonymousreply 8407/07/2013

Ugh. Blogspam.

by Anonymousreply 8507/07/2013

R67, (I know you're probably not going to see this) I've linked to their website where you can enter your zipcode and see if it's carried in your area. In L.A. they carry it at Whole Foods, Gelson's, and at some Sprouts locations, for the larger market chains.

by Anonymousreply 8607/07/2013

The best ice cream is homemade. It's easy.

by Anonymousreply 8707/07/2013

But your a store-bought ice cream troll!

Who cares what you like!

You just want to show off what "expensive" tastes you have. Maybe your body is just like a "temple" as described by Jennifer Aniston.

by Anonymousreply 8807/07/2013

Check the container. In some states the Plant number where it was made is listed. Then see if a brand you like makes ice cream for the cheaper brand.

by Anonymousreply 8907/07/2013

I can find "No Sugar Added," but not sugar-free. Who makes it?

by Anonymousreply 9007/07/2013

Ben and Jerry are phonies. Claimed they'd never make a certain percentage in salary higher than their employees, then sold to Pillsbury for multi-millions.

by Anonymousreply 9107/14/2013

Most ice cream is so grossly sweet it is inedible to me. I cannot tolerate any Ben and Jerry's.

by Anonymousreply 9207/14/2013

Most premium ice cream uses more fat for a dense texture -

Best in the world is Jenni's

by Anonymousreply 9307/14/2013

You probably won't find sugar free, R90, because milk contains it's own sugar (lactose). I guess they could make ice cream from lactose-free milk but I can't imagine what that would be like.

by Anonymousreply 9407/14/2013

"Roasted" fucking strawberries. Goddamn!

What insane Yankee fuckery is this?!

They warm the strawberries in an industrial heating chamber to cause the juice to exude and soften the flesh. That's it.

"Roasted" -- puh-lease, Louise!

Some idiotic copywriter went over the top and the Jenis fools let him or her.

I would by the product just for this reason.

by Anonymousreply 9507/14/2013

I quit eating Blue Bell because it's now made with HFCS instead of sugar and it's close to where I grew up so I wanted to help the economy. Oh well.

OP, are you sure you aren't developing lactose intolerance? It hit me in my mid forties. I love dairy products but cannot eat too much of it especially a glass of milk. Talk about diarrhea and excessive cramping. I can't still eat cheese thank god.

by Anonymousreply 9607/14/2013

Instead, R93, Jeni -- one "n" -- uses cornstarch. Talk about disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 9707/14/2013

No they use tapioca starch.

Bananas & Honey Ice Cream Ingredients: Snowville Creamery Milk, Snowville Creamery Cream, Cane Sugar, Bananas, Honey, Tapioca Starch. Contains: Milk. **Gluten Free**

Roasted Strawberry Buttermilk Ice Cream Ingredients: Snowville Creamery Milk, Snowville Cream, Sugar, Strawberries, Tapioca Syrup, Dried Buttermilk Powder (Sweet Cream Buttermilk Solids), Tapioca Starch, Citric Acid

only one I can find uses corn starch -

by Anonymousreply 9807/14/2013

Miss R83 - pay $18 and start threads for that shit, instead of bombing other threads.

by Anonymousreply 9907/14/2013

Everyone gets so excited about Jeni's. It's not that fucking special and for ten bucks a pint that ice cream needs to be delicious AND suck my cock, too.

by Anonymousreply 10007/14/2013

And ROAST you too, r100!

by Anonymousreply 10107/14/2013

Talenti gelato is incredible, R80 - especially the caramel sea salt flavor! Their containers make terrific cannisters afterwards as well. However, they're so expensive that it's only worth buying on a good sale.

For those of you near a Safeway, try their frozen Greek yogurt, which is To Die For. Safeway's house brand ice cream (including "premium") is pretty bad; everything tastes the same to me.

by Anonymousreply 10207/14/2013

Another mention of Talenti Gelato. My favorites are Caramel Cookie Crunch and Southern Butter Pecan. But I'll bet I'd like the caramel sea salt, too.

It's on sale this week in DC and Pittsburgh.

by Anonymousreply 10307/14/2013

yes talent sea salt carmel is like is on sale in a big ass container at BJ wholesale club too..

by Anonymousreply 10407/14/2013

As a child visiting Baskin-Robbins, I fell in love with coffee ice cream.

Sue me, but for store-bought mass produced coffee ice cream, Starbuck's makes the best; and I write this as someone who never sets foot in their stores because I don't like their coffee.

As is their coffee, it's way overpriced: $5.39 a pint at my local supermarket.

I'm not a Ben & Jerry's customer- as others have pointed out, it's too damn sweet.

by Anonymousreply 10507/14/2013

This thread is filled with retail ice queens.

by Anonymousreply 10607/14/2013

I hated the thought of being an ice cream brand snob too.

Then I tasted Talenti. Now I embrace my ice cream snobbery with a passion.

by Anonymousreply 10707/14/2013

OK, home-made ice cream queens, since you say it's so easy, how about posting a recipe and instructions?

by Anonymousreply 10807/14/2013

to be fair Talenti's is gellato not ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 10907/14/2013

Thanks for clearing that up, r109, seriously.

No wonder when I tried it I didn't care for its texture.

by Anonymousreply 11007/14/2013

DF Mavens is a store brand that is actually vegan, and amazingly good. Especially the Del Lago Chocolate and the Shot of Java.

by Anonymousreply 11107/14/2013

The best strawberry ice cream is always made with gin.

by Anonymousreply 11207/14/2013

Re: R105

Fun fact -- did you know that "coffee" is one of the two official WASP ice cream flavors? (No, the other is NOT vanilla!)

by Anonymousreply 11307/14/2013

We buy the Neapolitan Imitation Ice Milk from the Piggly Wiggly. It's so cheap!

by Anonymousreply 11407/14/2013

op sounds fat.

by Anonymousreply 11507/14/2013

Here I go.

I grew up on vanilla ice milk. To this day, it's my secret pleasure and takes me back home where it was warm and safe.

You may proceed to castigate me..........

by Anonymousreply 11607/14/2013

Ice cream should be a rare treat and it should come from an ice cream shop

by Anonymousreply 11707/14/2013

roll your own bitches.

by Anonymousreply 11807/14/2013

what about the 365 everyday brand at whole foods? i see people buying all the time but i always wondered what they taste like...

by Anonymousreply 11907/14/2013

Try making your own ice cream. I had never really liked ice cream because it didn't really agree with me,sometimes the results were just feeling mildly bloated but other times it was way worse. My boyfriend who is in the habit of buying me things that he wants but can't justify spending the money on himself bought me an ice cream maker for my birthday a couple of months ago and I started making ice cream for him. I tasted it a few times and no reaction at all and now I can eat it when ever I want with out any problems.

My brother is a chemist at the FDA and he told me that if a company puts under x micrograms of a chemical in a food they aren't required to list it in their ingredients list and there is no limit to how many chemicals they can put in the food, they are only limited by how much of the chemicals. So they can have a lot more chemicals than anyone would know of from reading the list of ingredients

by Anonymousreply 12007/14/2013

R108, here's a good & easy recipe.

by Anonymousreply 12107/16/2013

[quote]My boyfriend who is in the habit of buying me things that he wants but can't justify spending the money on himself bought me an ice cream maker for my birthday a couple of months ago and I started making ice cream for him.

Edit: My boyfriend bought himself an ice cream maker for my birthday.

by Anonymousreply 12207/16/2013

In my opinion, Blue Bell ice cream is not as rich and creamy as it used to be. Like most food manufacturers, they have replaced healthy, natural fat with more sugar.

Don't trust any food that has less fat in it. It doesn't taste as good, nor is it as healthy.

by Anonymousreply 12306/27/2014

[quote] I buy Ronnybrook exclusively at the Chelsea Market or the Union Square Farmer's Market.

by Anonymousreply 12406/27/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!