Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

David Laws' father hits back at gay expenses cheat son ...

Ok its a Daily Mail story - but it sheds fascinating light on English gay politian David Laws - what an absolute shit he seems to be. He has certainly made a speedy return to politics though - what do Clegg and Co see in him?

"Whether he was misguided about trying to hide his sexuality is hard to tell.

But the fact is, as David Laws has discovered, most people don’t care if their MP is gay or straight.

The truth is that it’s hypocrisy and fraudulent behaviour over expenses that they can’t bear."

Despite being a multi-millionaire he claimed expenses he was not entitled to, to pay his secret partner of 9 years, to - he said - protect his privacy and not let people know he was gay. Now the father says he would not have cared about that, but Laws has lied again, saying he was an only child and having no contact with the father. No wonder the bitter parent hits back ....

by Anonymousreply 2712/06/2012

The moral for sleazy politicians is - don't ignore your parents for 15 years if you have secrets to cover up!

by Anonymousreply 109/29/2012

I don't get it. This guy was so rich he was able to retire at age 28, yet he "fiddled" with 50,000 pounds? Am I reading this incorrectly?

by Anonymousreply 209/29/2012

Yes that is what he did - its the sheer greed of it! He could claim expenses for accommodation but not to be paid to a partner - which he did for years, so he was breaking the rules.

If he had not claimed that money (paltry by his standards, which was probaby pocket money to the partner) none of this would have come out when the MPs expenses were being examined, and he could have continued his secret gay life - but surely all his colleagues must have known, how can you keep a partner of 9 years secret, he wasn't just "renting a room" as he put it. (Just like that corrupt Home Secretary was renting a room in her sister's house, to maximise her expenses, while her husband and children lived in the family home elsewhere. You couldn't make it up!

But why is he so highly regarded by the others that they wanted him back less than 2 years later? I am sure when it comes to election time the voters will show what they think of him and them all - as they were all legally claiming the maximum expenses available, including Cameron, Clegg, Darling and all the others.

by Anonymousreply 309/29/2012

Any pics of his secret lover? It's weird, it's usually rightwingers (Tories in the UK, Republicans in the US) who get involved in sex scandals. Although, I guess Laws is quite rightwing and capitalistic for a Lib Dem.

by Anonymousreply 409/29/2012

Can someone translate the headline into English, please?

by Anonymousreply 509/29/2012

The father is a treacherous individual and it does not surprise me that there is a rift between father and son. His parents were separated and eventually divorced and that must have been a traumatic time. Perhaps that is the cause of the rift. The fact that details in Wikipedia are incorrect is no fault of David's, and he never personally spoke about his "catholic parents". "Friends" may have spoken out of turn. What is clear is that David is secretive and desperate to keep his private live private, and that is just his personality. Andrew Pierce is a slimy toad - this story has no public interest and should not have been printed.

by Anonymousreply 609/30/2012

I don't really give a shit about your British politicians.

by Anonymousreply 709/30/2012

David Law is under no obligation to reveal full details of his family nor to ensure that his Wikipedia is accurate. So he hasn't lied. I agree however that he is not by nature an open person and has no doubt realised now that it is impossible to have a role in public life unless you are open about your private life - sadly.

As far as I know he admitted he had broken the rules and he paid back the overclaimed expenses in full - he borrowed money from his family and sold his cottage in Somerset to repay them, and bought a smaller property nearer to Yeovil. He mentioned this in a newspaper interview. This rather casts doubt on the claims that he is a multi-millionaire.

If you want to check any MP's expenses it is all there in black and white on the IPSA web site and every single item of expenditure claimed for is recorded. At the present time it appears that David Laws makes no claims for a second property so is effectively supporting two properties out of his own pocket, and he only claims the costs of his constituency office and his travel costs to the constituency as he is fully entitled to do.

I do wonder whether David will continue in politics beyond the next election. It would not surprise me if he decides to stand down as an MP before the next election and return to the City after 2015. After all it is unlikely that the Tories will be returned in 2015 and if there is a Lib Lab coalition he won't get a ministerial job and will be on the outside.

by Anonymousreply 809/30/2012

r6, someone who is "desperate" to keep his private life private should not be in politics.

You, on the other hand, are falling over yourself to point fingers at everybody except at the crook.

by Anonymousreply 909/30/2012

What is a bit depressing about this is that had David Laws been open about it he could easily have claimed full expenses for a second property away from his partner but near Westminster and have cost the taxpayer far more. The system needs to be changed and maybe each MP given a set allowance for non constituency living expenses. There are others claiming way more legitimately. Laws still has a lot of respect among his constituents as he is a good MP.

by Anonymousreply 1009/30/2012

The writer of the article Andrew Pierce is actually openly gay. perhaps he was hitting back at the secretive Laws and exposing his lies - it now seems the family knew he was gay all along, so there was no point paying this money to his partner just to keep the fact he was gay secret. His friends and colleagues must have known, as it was a 9-year relationship.

But no matter how rich you are, who can or would retire at 28? He did not take up politics as a charity but was earning a good salary with all those legitimate expenses.

by Anonymousreply 1109/30/2012

It would be interesting to see what the partner looks like - is he a Brazilian muscle boy ?, or a demanding twink if David had to pay him this money every month ... were they living together, they must have been if David was "renting a room" from him.

That other super-slimy Brit politician Peter Mandelson had no trouble having his Brazilian boy accepted in the highest places, with the Blairs and all the rest.

by Anonymousreply 1209/30/2012

But it makes no sense for a rich secretative politican to ignore his parents for 15 years, even if there was a bitter divorce in the family. Surely he would want some contact, even if minimal, with the father to keep him on side. If the father went to the press then it is his own fault for ignorning him.

by Anonymousreply 1309/30/2012

Great post, R6.

by Anonymousreply 1409/30/2012

They don't really give a shit about you, R7.

by Anonymousreply 1509/30/2012

Who needs the Daily Mail to denigrate gay relationships when we have you, R12?

by Anonymousreply 1609/30/2012

Funny how people are quick to defend someone who's already shown a gross lack of integrity. The father's quick to absolve himself of any blame in the deterioration of his relationship with his son, but it also speaks volumes that Laws preemptively cut his entire family out of his life. He comes across as a petty piece of shit, and I gather the falling out has to do with money (since his parents apparently loaned him money to buy his first place). It'd be shameful if he's not booted out of Parliament during the next election.

by Anonymousreply 1709/30/2012

We have to start over with new political parties.

by Anonymousreply 1809/30/2012

Some interesting replies. I agree that Andrew Pierce is openly gay and may be trying to get back at David Laws for his "shame" or "embarrassment" about being gay. DL is not "out and proud" that's for certain. You never get the feeling that he is happy about being gay. He always uses words to skate round his sexuality and kind of talks about it at arms' length. My belief is that he could cope with being gay when a few people in the Westminster Village or perhaps his immediate associates knew but just fell apart when it was made public. If he's been secretive all his life as Laws Senior says then why would he change. The LibDems knew he was secretive and a loner because he never gave them his address and always insisted on a meeting point when cars were sent to pick him up. I cannot understand why Nick Clegg didn't warn him that his sexuality was bound to come out one day and he should deal with it.

Interesting what is said about family rift and money. DL has said himself that while he was a multi-millionnaire he had to support himself for several years while working as a researcher for the LibDems so the money just disappeared and apart from his houses wasn't left with much. Wrt family, maybe there were disputes about inheritance - who knows, However I find it extremely odd that he does not acknowledge his brother and sister. That is peculiar.

I think a psychologist could have a field day with David Laws.

His partner is a public affairs lobbyist at Edelman's, British, mid-30ish, tall and very good looking. He has recently had to move to a lower profile role at Edelman's to remove any conflict of interest with DL's new ministerial role.

by Anonymousreply 1909/30/2012

[R13] good point about his father. It just adds to the complexity of his public life. It makes no sense to have not spoken to his father and kept him in the loop esp after the expenses scandal. Just another accident waiting to happen. This all points to poor judgement on David Laws' part and possibly indicates that he has difficulties with people and social relationships, another Gordon Brown type. No wonder he decided not to stand for leader of the LibDems!

That aside Laws has many fans of both sexes who positively adore him, and in the flesh he's charismatic and charming.

Actually we may be on the wrong track. Perhaps Andrew Pierce led Laws senior on and twisted his words in time honoured fashion or even paid him. It seems incredible that a middle class professional family guy would stoop to criticism of his son. Perhaps there will be a retraction or a lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 2009/30/2012

In his statement to the press once his fraud was uncovered, he claimed his family knew about his sexuality/relationship. The guy's a lying piece of shit who made the mistake of trying to pretend to be holier than thou. I get the impression he's some devout Catholic who's assigning his own misgivings about being gay to others.

by Anonymousreply 2109/30/2012

Andrew Pierce was hired by 'The Daily Mail' following universal outrage about Jan Moir's vile story on Stephen Gately's death.

The 'Mail' couldn't handle finding out its institutionalised homophobia didn't play any more, so bought Pierce as a house gay to show how very up-to-date it is.

Only up to a point though, as Pierce has reassured Middle England, and his employers, that he's against gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 2210/01/2012

I can't help but agree the catholic guilt bit comes from him rather than his parents. He is reported to have a crucifix on his desk and has been spotted praying in the catholic Westminster Cathedral in London.

However the tendency to lie or hide the truth is the most worrying feature as lying becomes a habit often starting in childhood - David Laws' father implies he was secretive. Compulsive liars are known to have personality disorders (OCD, ADHD or worse). Politicians are often accused of being inveterate liars. Blair and Cameron have been caught lying or overstating the truth. Obama has also been accused of being a compulsive liar and sociopath.

If David is so secretive, he really is unsuited to being a politician. His credibility has been shot to pieces and he would do better to return to the City. Earlier response suggesting he will probably resign from politics is probably spot on.

by Anonymousreply 2310/01/2012

Has anyone on here met David Laws or his boyfriend? Give us your impressions.

Personally, never mind the boyfriend, I think Laws himself is extremely cute.

by Anonymousreply 2412/06/2012

The bf is very handsome. IFHH

by Anonymousreply 2512/06/2012

Are you basing that on pictures, or have you met him, R25?

by Anonymousreply 2612/06/2012

[quote]Ok its a Daily Mail story....

Ok, you're a shithead troll....

by Anonymousreply 2712/06/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!