Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What's your favorite Greta Garbo film?

A tie between Anna Karenina & Camille for me, but all the ones listed are brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 3001/29/2013

Camille is it for me

by Anonymousreply 101/13/2013

She was at her best in the silents

by Anonymousreply 201/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 301/13/2013

Robert Osborne says Garbo's performance is Camille is regarded as THE great performance from the 30's. While I don't quite agree with this assessment (I think Vivian Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara is the greatest performance from the 30's) I certainly agree that her Camille is riveting and absolutely superb. Garbo fascinates me. She could hold the screen like no one.

by Anonymousreply 401/13/2013

Anna Christie is the first Garbo film I saw so it holds a special place for me. But It's impossible for me to choose because I love them all equally but if I was forced to choose I would say Ninotchka.

Her most overlooked performance is from Inspiration.

by Anonymousreply 501/13/2013

Marie Dressler deserved to win an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for 'Anna Christie'.

When i saw that movie last summer on DVD, i got blown away by her natural performance. It was so natural and perfect!

by Anonymousreply 601/13/2013

Flesh and the Devil (a silent)

I don't like her nearly as much in sound films. Her sick accent always gets in the way--she's sometimes nearly incomprehensible.

by Anonymousreply 701/13/2013

'Queen Christina' stands perfectly the test of time.

by Anonymousreply 801/13/2013

Anna Karenina for me.

by Anonymousreply 901/13/2013

A tie between Anna Karenina and Camille for me.

I think Ninotchka as a film doesn't stand up at all. Her performance is great, but everyone else is awful. The buffet of incorrect accents alone is confusing and off-putting.

by Anonymousreply 1001/13/2013

Nothing touches that last shot in "Queen Christina" - she was called 'the face', and in that last shot, with the camera slowly coming in on that huge close-up, you see the extrodinary beauty, and stillness, Garbo had on film. It gives you chills.

by Anonymousreply 1101/13/2013

Queen Christina and Ninotchka.

Camille must have been the first of her movies i watched cause i remember being totally captivated.

by Anonymousreply 1201/13/2013

"Camille", by far.

She was a remarkable actress, but most of the films she made were pretty bad.

by Anonymousreply 1301/14/2013

I like MATA HARI and THE PAINTED VEIL, a 1934 rarity, where she is indeed 'the divine woman'. I also like her last one where she looks great doing the rumba in TWO FACED WOMAN in 1941 or 42. Those late 40s photos of her are very striking too.

by Anonymousreply 1401/14/2013

I will scream it this time: QUEEN CHRISTINA

by Anonymousreply 1501/15/2013

Yeah - QUEEN CHRISTINA among the talkies, FLESH AND THE DEVIL among the silents. NINOTCHKA the most accessible, CAMILLE for the most - schlocky and gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 1601/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 1701/15/2013

Flesh and the Devil (silent) Queen Christina (talkies)

by Anonymousreply 1801/15/2013

Saw "The Fall And Rise Of Susan Lennox" last week on TCM, with Garbo & Gable. Gable was very young, sexy, and moutache-less. Not a great film, but GG was so young, and playful in it . Fave film is " Queen Christina" - she acts like a man throughout.

by Anonymousreply 1901/19/2013

No one like her - never will be. The mystery, the beauty, that face . Someone has to do a Garbo biography film. Her years in Hollywood, the affairs with women, Barrymore, etc. Cast an unknown actress.

by Anonymousreply 2001/28/2013

How could anyone have seen Garbo in "Queen Christina" (excellent film, btw) and not have known that she was a big dyke?

by Anonymousreply 2101/28/2013

I adored her performance in "Camille". Those gorgeous bare shoulders, so erotic. She was so physically marvellous. I love the scene where she breaks Armand's heart and becomes this cold and cruel ice queen - "Wasn't ONE summer all you wanted?" BRILLIANT.

In the 20th century, there is only Garbo, Gardner and Monroe as far as goddesses go.

by Anonymousreply 2201/28/2013

Garbo was truly stunning to look at, and she is still very 'modern' looking, so to speak. She never did the marcelled hair and really heavy maekup of the 30s that is instantly dated-looking.

by Anonymousreply 2301/28/2013

R14, I love "The Painted Veil" -- it's based on a novel by Somerset Maugham, one of my favorite writers.

R19, I recorded "Susan Lenox" last week & will watch it as soon as I have time -- I've always heard good things about it.

I love Garbo in anything, some more than others. She's wonderful in "A Woman of Affairs" -- 1928 silent, with John Gilbert, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., & the always fine Lewis Stone -- based on Michael Arlen's novel & play "The Green Hat". Horribly dated & melodramatic, but her performance is so touching despite it all.

by Anonymousreply 2401/28/2013

Overall, Grand Hotel, but not really because of Garbo, but for Crawford, the Barrymores and Berry.

But in terms of Garbo standing out, Flesh and the Devil for silents and Queen Christina for talkies. She always rose to the occasion opposite John Gilbert.

by Anonymousreply 2501/28/2013

"She never did the marcelled hair and really heavy maekup of the 30s that is instantly dated-looking."

She had startlingly long, thick, natural eyelashes, which could be used to dramatic effect, with minimal makeup. Her makeup artists just used some eyeliner and mascara to show off her natural lashes, and it looked so good that every actress in Hollywood started wearing long false eyelashes in the hopes of getting the same effect. It didn't work, they looked artificial, and she looked unique.

The one thing that's dated about her makeup is the overplucked brows.

by Anonymousreply 2601/28/2013

Other: specify

by Anonymousreply 2701/28/2013

With the exception of TWO-FACED WOMAN, did GG ever make a bad film?

by Anonymousreply 2801/28/2013

I love Grand Hotel - such a classic.

by Anonymousreply 2901/28/2013

r28, yes. The Saga of Gosta Berling is a mess of a film. So difficult to follow. Most of her early silent films weren't so great. The only great about them was Garbo herself.

I have seen all of Garbo's films except for "The Divine Woman." That film was melted down for the silver so it's lost to film history. There remains a very small snippet of it but that's it.

Ninotchka is her best film. No one thought she could do comedy but she proved them wrong. My only complaint is Melvyn Douglas. Such a bland actor who brought nothing to his role. He's not much of a looker either.

Queen Christina is another wonderful film. Again, her male lead was a disappointment. John Gilbert looked and acted ridiculous. One wonders why Christina would fall in love with that jester. The final scene with her blank expression looking into the horizon is just exquisite.

I went through a Garbo phase when I was in college and I pretty much read all the biographies about her I could find. My university had a treasure trove of Garbo's silent films.

by Anonymousreply 3001/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!