Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Alicia Keys now

High praise indeed on all fronts for Alica Keys' concert a day or so ago at Manchester Cathedral in England. Is it to promote a new album?

Alicia seems to have weathered those storms and gossip about her sexuality - she now has a baby and appears more mature and settled than ever. I loved that first album and videos and that "Falling" song and of course "Empire State of Mind" ... She seems the R&B singer of choice for those who can't stand Beyonce or Rihanna or Mary J, and she is even better than Whitney or Janet.

Do we still love Alicia now - will she be here for the long haul ?

by Anonymousreply 5608/31/2013

Never liked her, she's not a good songwriter, lacks fire as a singer and she's a dimwit.

by Anonymousreply 109/26/2012

I fucking hate Empire State of Mind. It cancels out New York, New York and then some, which takes some doing. I have heard more harmonious car alarms than Ms Keys.

by Anonymousreply 209/26/2012

She is soooooooo fucking boring. Boring and proud. Shit.

by Anonymousreply 309/26/2012

I honestly cannot think of one good song of hers. The music seems to evaporate while I listen to it.

by Anonymousreply 409/26/2012

She sucks. She's a hack. God knows why she gave Clive Davis a hard on.

by Anonymousreply 509/26/2012

I doubt her sexuality would have a negative impact on her career, OP. All she needs to do was claim to be bisexual - which she appears to be anyway. And who (other than gay men) doesnt love a hot bi woman!!

by Anonymousreply 609/26/2012

Agree with posters above. She only has a career because Clive Davis pushed her so hard. Crappy songwriter, forgettable singer. When she tries to go all 'soul' she sounds like a strangled cat.

by Anonymousreply 709/26/2012

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 809/26/2012

Liked her when she first appeared, now I think she's over rated.

by Anonymousreply 909/26/2012

Alicia Keys is amazing.

Waiting for the new album

by Anonymousreply 1009/26/2012

Love this song too.

She is gorgeous

by Anonymousreply 1209/26/2012

[quote] and she is even better than Whitney or Janet.

Bitch, puh-leeze! She's nowhere near Whitney and Janet at their prime. She's also the most derivative, overrated songwriter in the business today. I wonder if she ever paid the Brown family any money after ripping off "It's A Man's World" for her song "Falling"?

She's a mediocre version of Beyonce, who instead of shaking her ass and wearing skimpy outfits on stage, she sits behind a piano under the pretension of being a thought-provoking singer/songwriter, ala Roberta Flack. With a subpar voice and average piano skills, it's amazing that she's gotten this far in her career.

by Anonymousreply 1309/26/2012

She was just what Clive wanted at that particular time (late 90s?), that's all. So she was pushed and promoted, like Destiny's Child was. Music biz doesn't reflect the public's taste necessarily, just that they're sheep who will buy into anything, witness today's stars.

by Anonymousreply 1409/26/2012

As good as Whitney? Jeezus - NEVER.

Some good songs, Empire/Falling. The closest she came to that finest of all diva's talent was prob dreaming of bedding her. She did ok with Million Dollar Bill, but it didn't come close to Whit's greatest.

Her grief at New Hope was moving, sincere and that made her a good friend though painful to listen to.It just reminded me all the more how great a singer Houston was.

by Anonymousreply 1609/26/2012

[quote]she is even better than Whitney or Janet.

by Anonymousreply 1709/28/2012

She's gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 1809/28/2012

She will definitely be a music legend, because the music current music legends LOVE her. Alicia is an actual musician, which is what she has over so many of her peers. And she helped bring real R&B into the 21st century, when record labels were moving away from it.

She has been keeping a lower profile because of all the drama involving her husband, and his ex-wife who maintains that Alicia is a homewrecker.

Alicia's voice was never really amazing, and she has lost a lot of her range since she gave birth to her son.

Loved her second album, really beautiful work

by Anonymousreply 1909/29/2012

I still think she is great. Though I've moved on, I still listen to her first 3 albums. Never really had a problem with her. I like the fact that she is so positive and strives to help others with her status.

by Anonymousreply 2009/29/2012

I remember in late summer 2001 seeing girls of different races sporting her "iconic" braids. She was becoming an out-of-the-box superstar and her first single and video "Falling" are modern classics. She hasn't really done anything as interesting since then and I often wonder why other soul singers of that time (Blu Cantrell, Sunshine Anderson, Tweet, Res, Kima) never became better known after their initial splashes. It's like Alicia machine was a vacuum sucked up the oxygen preventing other flames from burning as bright. Thank God the vastly more talented India.Arie and Amerie had their time in the sun.

by Anonymousreply 2109/29/2012

[quote]I remember in late summer 2001 seeing girls of different races sporting her "iconic" braids.

I wonder what Patrice Rushen thinks about Alicia Keys, basically doing the same thing she did twenty years earlier!

by Anonymousreply 2209/29/2012

Patrice Rushen's records had energy and she's much better than Keys.

by Anonymousreply 2301/28/2013

I don't even know her music but all I ever hear her sing is "this girl is on fire", that is way overplayed

by Anonymousreply 2401/28/2013

I can't stand listening to her. Yet another "singer" who arranges everything so she's continually at the top of her range, screaming her lungs out. Completely tasteless.

by Anonymousreply 2501/28/2013

I think she's secretly referring to her sexuality in this poem.

by Anonymousreply 2601/28/2013

When she sings, dogs and dolphins respond as if it were one of their own kind.

by Anonymousreply 2701/28/2013

She has an alright voice, but she lacks the fire of a Chaka Khan or Ree Ree. My friend likes the "New York" song, but that's all. Her sense of melody is pedestrian and her lyrics are romantic cliches.

by Anonymousreply 2801/28/2013

On the Grammys or some other awards show a few years ago, Alicia was straaaaaaaining when trying to sing a standard. This was when she was in the running to star in that non-existent Oprah-produced Lena Horne bio-pic.

Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 2901/28/2013

She's still a fucking dyke.

by Anonymousreply 3001/28/2013

hmm - maybe, R26

by Anonymousreply 3101/28/2013

What r19 said, she pushed out all of her singing chops when she had that baby. Alicia's fans pretty much agree thats what happened, she was fine before that. It happens to a lot of women. She really needs to be consulting a vocal coach so she can be ready for the Star Spangled Banner at the Super Bowl. Nobody wants to hear her sounding like a dying cat. Beyonce had someone carry her baby for her so she can still murder the Star Spangled Banner, lipsynched or not!

by Anonymousreply 3201/28/2013

Look up Claudia Rose, that is who was rumored to be her girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 3301/28/2013

She's very mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 3401/28/2013

Okay I checked after I wrote the above post and I couldn't find Claudia Rose. I know her name was Claudia but not 100% sure about the Rose part. She is a singer too and there used to be a video of her on youtube. If I find it again I will post a link.

by Anonymousreply 3501/28/2013

Alicia's best friends name is Erika Rose.

There's the link.

by Anonymousreply 3601/28/2013

She does write some of her own music, she plays the piano so I'll give her that. Her music is very safe and pretty boring. I think she's a mediocre singer at best. Post-baby? No, pre-baby, it was mediocre too. Her debut single Fallin' had her screeching. You may call it singing, I call it screeching. India.Arie was robbed. She's 10x the vocalist/songwriter Alicia is, lost in every category to her. India's debut album is incredible.

As for her looks, have you seen her highschool pics, she got a damn good nose job. She had a cement block for a nose before that.

by Anonymousreply 3701/29/2013

Most young songwriters' first effort is in A minor (I know mine was) and "Fallin'" was a very predictable chord change and melody and not a good lyric and damned depressing.

by Anonymousreply 3801/29/2013

What did we think of her version of the Star Spangled Banner?

Rumor is that she will be announcing she is pregnant with her second child tomorrow at the Grammys

by Anonymousreply 3902/09/2013

She is overrated

by Anonymousreply 4002/09/2013

[quote]She's still a fucking dyke.

Mmm-hmm. But she sure shut down the gossip, gotta hand it to her.

It's amazing how unquestioning people are, how easily and totally they swallow any bowl of bullshit the PR flacks serve up.

by Anonymousreply 4102/10/2013

[quote]It's amazing how unquestioning people are, how easily and totally they swallow any bowl of bullshit the PR flacks serve up. [/quote]

I think she threw a curve ball by being a man stealing home wrecker. That kind of behavior gets people confused and off on another tangent.

[quote] Post-baby? No, pre-baby, it was mediocre too.[/quote]

Thank you!!!

[quote]India.Arie was robbed. She's 10x the vocalist/songwriter Alicia is, lost in every category to her. India's debut album is incredible.[/quote]

I so agree.

by Anonymousreply 4202/10/2013

I loved her song...

I love a night life. I want to bogie on the disco ROUND............

by Anonymousreply 4302/10/2013

R21, Res' debut was great, but likely didn't get that much attention because it crossed genres. Too much rock for urban radio and black females weren't going to get played on most rock/alt stations (although the white male rappers and rap-metal groups were). One of her songs got play on WLIR, an alternative station, but I never heard anything from the album on hip-hop/R&B stations.

by Anonymousreply 4402/10/2013

Man-stealing-home-wrecker troll alert @R42!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4502/10/2013

Yes, the answer is Clive Davis.*

His other protegees now are Jennifer Hudson (Clive is why these two sang at both the Inauguation and Super-Bowl) and someone named Emili Sande, of whom at his pre-Grammy party, "In a bid to send her star stratospheric, party host and music manager Clive Davis introduced her as: 'The one to watch'."

* And Jay-Z. Nobody makes it in Pop without Jay-Z.

by Anonymousreply 4602/10/2013

[quote]I think she threw a curve ball by being a man stealing home wrecker. That kind of behavior gets people confused and off on another tangent.

Well, yeah, that's what I'm saying. Instead of the general public thinking MAYBE that curveball could have been a calculated move to shut down gay rumors that had been dogging her ever since she debuted, they just said, oh, she *can't* be a lesbian because she's a man stealer! That there could be another motivation never entered their consciousness. Score 1 for Alicia and merkining.

by Anonymousreply 4702/10/2013

Performing on Good Morning America.

by Anonymousreply 4808/30/2013

Can't remember if it was in here or maybe in comments on CDAN but I remember someone they knew someone who said a lot of her piano playing on record is not actually what she plays in the studio. Studio musicians would come in and "clean up" the piano parts of the songs. She always seemed to play it OK live though so not sure if that would be true. She is a bit bland and just sort of, there.

by Anonymousreply 4908/31/2013

Not sure what was worse about her performance on GMA - the haircut, the outfit, or the smug expression on her face the few times she actually hit a note correctly.

by Anonymousreply 5008/31/2013

I LOVED Res' "They Say Vision'. Anyway, I remember pre-Clive when she shopped around songs in A minor and another label thought her songs were just demos LOL.

by Anonymousreply 5108/31/2013

Teenage Love Affair is my favorite song.

by Anonymousreply 5208/31/2013

I didn't know she wasn't gay. Huh.

by Anonymousreply 5308/31/2013

That girl from glee sang 'girl on fire' better than Alicia.

how embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 5408/31/2013

Comparing Keys to Whitney is like comparing a Walmart caftan to Liza's Halston collection.

by Anonymousreply 5508/31/2013

Her first three albums were brilliant and they seem to sound better as the years go on. I think it's because AC radio plays any new song she has TO DEATH, and you get tired of hearing her over and over. If I had to hear that "No One" song or "Girl On Fire" song one more time, I would shoot myself.

by Anonymousreply 5608/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.