Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

THEATRE GOSSIP #99: "GHOST INVESTOR" Edition

Shorter and sweet:

REBECCA! On, off, on, off, sets being built, cast being paid, all the money gone but no rehearsals, "dead" investor who never existed! This is the most fun Broadway's had in ages. Where is the author of "The Making of No No Nanette" when you need him?

Chaplin - down the drain goes the season's first big flop. How do things like this get this far?

Rob Morrow - back in the land of loosey-goosey chorus boys from which he sprang? What would Michael Bennett say?

Jake G signing at the stage door. ASL?

Mary Testa in Kansas City. Speaks for itself.

No Sweeney transfer with Imelda, so chorus boys can't sing "I Had a Ball" like they did back in the days of Aspects.

Okay, ground rules - no ATC drama. No trolls.

And no STUDENT GYPSY! No NOWHERE TO GO BUT UP! No COCO!

by Anonymousreply 60610/30/2012

[quote]Mary Testa in Kansas City. Speaks for itself.

Hey now, OP! It's not all that bad here in K.C. :)

by Anonymousreply 109/25/2012

The Rep is doing a benefit and silent auction next week for the benefactors.. with entertainment provided by former and present cast members. Clay is singing "Agony" from ITW and Mary Testa singing "Cabaret." I can only imagine how that will turn out.

by Anonymousreply 209/25/2012

Love you, OP!!!

by Anonymousreply 309/25/2012

Rob Morrow and chorus boys?

by Anonymousreply 409/25/2012

OP always comes through.

by Anonymousreply 509/25/2012

The musical that will come from nowhere and save the season?

THE GREAT AMERICAN MOUSICAL directed by Julie Andrews.

Just you wait, Michael Reidel, just you wait.

by Anonymousreply 609/25/2012

The Julie Andrews-directed musical is egregious.

by Anonymousreply 709/25/2012

Mary Testa can come sit on my face anytime.

by Anonymousreply 809/25/2012

Op the BEST. Now the NY Times should Ask Mr. SpectLiar to show his plane ticket stub from his London trip. Does anyone think he really went? The joke around Broadway over the weekend was from the early wkend report about paying the cast and just needing the new money in the bank, with the head of the Shuberts saying they had known Ben for a long time and doubt that he made up any stories. As everyone knows if you have known been that long - then you REALLY Know HE IS CAPABLE of making up stores and other frauds.

by Anonymousreply 909/25/2012

Roundabout needs to take on "Last Dance" or th every least, lease out Studio 54 for the run of the show.

by Anonymousreply 1009/25/2012

R595 on the previous TG thread asked about the bear can cock of press agent Jeremy Shaffer. Yes what chorus boy is sucking on that big man meat. And what happened to all the post of sexy Max Von Essen and his cock and ass with the B'way boys. And all quite on the sexy papi Raul and his very active cock.

by Anonymousreply 1109/25/2012

Whut does ASL mean?

by Anonymousreply 1209/25/2012

Was Rob Morrow a chorus boy in regional theatre or something? IBDB says his only Broadway credit is the one-week-flop straight play THE BOYS OF WINTER.

by Anonymousreply 1309/25/2012

r9, although your post was a little mlop-ish, I would enjoy hearing about other stories and frauds that Sprecher has made up.

by Anonymousreply 1409/25/2012

SILENCE! is doing really well. I'm happy for Hunter Bell.

by Anonymousreply 1509/25/2012

"Mary Testa in Kansas City. Speaks for itself."

NOWHERE TO GO BUT UP, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 1609/25/2012

r13...Rob Morrow was Michael Bennett's "personal assistant" back in the Dreamgirls day

by Anonymousreply 1709/25/2012

ASL is American Sign Language.

by Anonymousreply 1809/25/2012

In Jake's case, ASL is "Ass-Sucking Lips."

by Anonymousreply 1909/25/2012

I LOVE The STudent Gypsy!

by Anonymousreply 2009/25/2012

How indeed did Chaplain ever get produced. Poor guy in the lead, trying to make something out of nothing. Whoever thought that using metaphors within metaphors to clarify a thematic point is a numskull.

by Anonymousreply 2109/25/2012

I saw Rob Morrow in THE CHOSEN at the Entermedia theater back in the mid to late 80's

by Anonymousreply 2209/25/2012

Thanks yet again, OP.

Nice work if you can get it - and, baby,

YOU'VE GOT IT!

by Anonymousreply 2309/26/2012

Come be my ting-a-ling dearie, r20.

by Anonymousreply 2409/26/2012

r11, "bear can cock"? Freudian slip?

by Anonymousreply 2509/26/2012

Any time r24!

by Anonymousreply 2609/26/2012

No Coco?!

Let's have a different Lerner flop. Anyone see 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue? If Carrie can be revived then so can this, right?

by Anonymousreply 2709/26/2012

Lerner flops? How about 'Love Life'? Considered to be a big influence on 'Company' (and others).

Kurt Weill was along for the ride too.

Did anyone here see this? I'd love to know what it was like.

by Anonymousreply 2809/26/2012

Kurt Weill's career is crazy. To go from the questionable 'high art' of Brecht to a series of works that were all quite different in their own right but in the US: One Touch of Venus, Love Life, Lady in the Dark, Street Scene etc etc.

by Anonymousreply 2909/26/2012

Hermione Gingold on What's My Line.

So bizarre looking!!! Hilarious though, any stories about her? Anyone other than Sondheim and Prince see her bald?

by Anonymousreply 3009/26/2012

So, now that Brantley loved it - will Diane Lane & SWEET BIRD OF YOUTH come to Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 3109/26/2012

A critical edition of Love Life is being prepared...so there are sure to be a flurry of concerts/productions in a few years.

by Anonymousreply 3209/26/2012

Kathleen Chalfant Kathleen Chalfant Kathleen Chalfant!

by Anonymousreply 3309/26/2012

Wow

by Anonymousreply 3409/26/2012

SSSHHHH!!! r35, don't jinx it!

by Anonymousreply 3509/26/2012

R4 and R13, Rob Morrow talks about assisting Michael Bennett in this long interview from BroadwayWorld earlier this month (mostly about LAST DANCE).

by Anonymousreply 3609/26/2012

Rob Morrow is a terrible actor

by Anonymousreply 3709/26/2012

Hunter's packing some serious heat. Everyone knows it. Sweet guy. Hope he's finding lots of appreciation for his ample talents.

ASL stands for "age stats location" in gay online pick-up speak. Guess it is possible someone might have strayed onto DL and not know that.

by Anonymousreply 3809/26/2012

can't find anything on CHAPLIN! closing - is it official?

by Anonymousreply 3909/26/2012

Not that I've heard - and I talked to people involved in the show who said the box office has been decent and covering the weekly nut.

by Anonymousreply 4009/26/2012

Details on Hunter heat r39

by Anonymousreply 4109/26/2012

SECRET "REBECCA" INVESTOR COMES CLEAN!

It's me. I've taken out a second mortgage on Manderley. On with the show!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4209/26/2012

REBECCA is back ON.... for today that is.

by Anonymousreply 4309/26/2012

Yes, please, r39. That news pleases me.

Who's had him? I'll bet he is fabulous sex. Sweet, cuddly and giggly. And sweaty.

(Gingers tend to sweat)

by Anonymousreply 4409/26/2012

If the cast of Rebecca ever gets checks for the first week of rehearsal, stay out of their way when they stampede to the bank to cash them before they bounce.

by Anonymousreply 4509/26/2012

[quote] Who's had him? I'll bet he is fabulous sex.

I had him! His throat was bare beneath my hand! I had him, his throat was there and he'll never cum again.

by Anonymousreply 4609/26/2012

There has been talk of a TV version of the stage production of CABARET since the Mendes revival. Could Miss Hathaway's concert of "Songs from CABARET" at Joe's Pub be her audition to play Sally?

stay tuned.

by Anonymousreply 4709/26/2012

bump for news of Broadway,not personal vendettas please.

by Anonymousreply 4809/26/2012

Weren't there rumours of Rob Marshall eyeing up Cabaret for a possible remake for theatrical release? I could swear that this was before "Nine" though.

by Anonymousreply 4909/26/2012

I can't imagine even Marshall is insane or masochistic enough to try and do another CABARET movie, even if it was closer to the original play. Perhaps someone would do it for TV, but I'm sure Marshall thinks that's beneath him.

by Anonymousreply 5009/26/2012

The movie of NINE belongs in the same Hall of Infamy as the films of MAME, MAN OF LA MANCHA, HELLO DOLLY, and PAINT YOUR WAGON.

I know DOLLY has its fans here, but it's like an old MGM musical on budget steroids with just about everyone overacting like crazy.

by Anonymousreply 5109/26/2012

r54, a friend thinks the film of Hello Dolly is wonderful I USUALLY value his opinion, but you're right, that movie is blown up to elephantine, disastrous proportions. And iy looks ugly to boot. And it has Michael Crawford! What's to like??

by Anonymousreply 5209/26/2012

R53- There were serious talk of a TV taping of the Roundabout CABARET with Natasha Richardson and Alan Cumming reprising their roles. Rob Marshall was all for it. Mendes was against it. He did not want Marshall to get all the acclaim for his co direction and choreography. Discussions back on board last fall about producing a TV version not a theatrical release. Still no word.

by Anonymousreply 5409/26/2012

Natasha Richardson has been dead a while. I can see why there is no word on that production...

by Anonymousreply 5509/26/2012

I still want to know the big horrible secret at the end of "Red Dog Howls."

by Anonymousreply 5609/26/2012

There was a BBC TV taping of Mendes' original Donmar Warehouse production with Cumming and Jane Horrocks. It wasn't very good. Mendes definitely improved it for Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 5709/26/2012

Yes, R61. have that one. And yes, the Roundabout Marshall and Mendes was much better. Plus that UK taping cut out some of the songs. I think they were in the show, just edited for the broadcast.

by Anonymousreply 5809/26/2012

So can we assume Robbie Marshall made it better?

by Anonymousreply 5909/26/2012

Yes, more dancing and dirtier.

by Anonymousreply 6009/26/2012

So is Rob Morrow gay? I worked with him and have to say my gaydar was perplexed. He seemed to be flirting with every human around.

by Anonymousreply 6109/26/2012

Who is this Hunter everyone says is hung?

Are we talking about Hunter Foster?

by Anonymousreply 6209/26/2012

[quote] Are we talking about Hunter Foster?

I assume they meant Bell. Wasn't Foster naked in that horrific show with the disabled Nazi getting finger banged by her brother? I don't remember any indication that Foster was hung.

by Anonymousreply 6309/27/2012

I don't understand how the Rebecca producer scammed these big Broadway producers.

No one thought to double check the funds after the first time the show was postponed?

by Anonymousreply 6409/27/2012

Yes, R67, in that show Hunter FOSTER took it up the ass onstage from a well-hung young black man.

I couldn't have been more proud.

by Anonymousreply 6509/27/2012

That rehearsal is never going to happen unless the actors plan on working for free.

He still doesn't have the money and no legitimate producer will give any to him.

by Anonymousreply 6709/27/2012

its because of that Splecter fellow that we no longer have the Variety Arts pr Promenade. I don't want to jinx for karen my friend who really would do if it opens Rebecca but it's a mess.

Maryann

by Anonymousreply 6809/27/2012

More about Hunter Bell's ginger heat, please.

by Anonymousreply 6909/27/2012

So - is Ben Sprecher the scam artist? Did he make up the phony investor to give himself more time?

Or is there someone over in London who has been fucking with him?

I think it's the latter. Probably someone who saw the show in Berlin and wanted to stop the atrocity before it got to New York.

by Anonymousreply 7009/27/2012

Hunter Parrish has a beer can cock? I doubt it,

by Anonymousreply 7109/27/2012

Hunter Bell's cock does resemble a beer can, but like so much of the rest of him, it's FAT and not muscle or workable girth.

by Anonymousreply 7209/27/2012

In other words, a thick horsechoker.

by Anonymousreply 7309/27/2012

I feel bad for the Rebecca cast. Jill Paice is going to be this year's Lauren Ambrose I guess.

by Anonymousreply 7509/28/2012

Yes, but with only about a quarter of the talent, r79.

by Anonymousreply 7609/28/2012

Patricia Routledge is touring England to talk about her musical theatre career.

Packing my best earrings and caftan as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 7709/28/2012

I still can't dance peoples!

by Anonymousreply 7809/28/2012

Now Reidel says "A Christmas Story" is in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 7909/28/2012

Anyone who saw BURNING knows that Hunter Foster is the opposite of hung.

It was so frustrating that, of the two Hunters who were on the boards at that time (Foster and Parrish), it had to be Foster who was exposing his dick eight times a week.

by Anonymousreply 8009/28/2012

So Riedel infers that Sprecher's rehearsal announcement was just bullshit, since he's already having to pay the actors anyway.

This seems like an absurd amount of drama for a musical which is poorly written, both script and score. Doesn't matter how good the cast is, the show stinks.

by Anonymousreply 8109/28/2012

Actor/singer David Berk has died.

Posted by: mlop 10:15 am EDT 09/28/12

Oh no I knew him very well and worked with him many times. Great guy, talented. His memorial was on the q6th and I just found out... I would have been there.

Very strange I was just thinking of him three days ago wondering how he was as I had not seen him for a good year. Rest in peace and say hello to my friend up there.

by Anonymousreply 8209/29/2012

The whole REBECCA debacle bears a startling resemblance to the plot of GRACE.

Just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 8309/29/2012

[quote]So is Rob Morrow gay? I worked with him and have to say my gaydar was perplexed. He seemed to be flirting with every human around.

You worked with him yet you're asking complete strangers that don't know him at all.

by Anonymousreply 8409/29/2012

God, I want Jake Gyllenhaal. I actually saw him. Live. In person by the theatre. Shit. You have no idea.

by Anonymousreply 8509/29/2012

[quote]You worked with him yet you're asking complete strangers that don't know him at all.

I'm asking other people who may know him r84.

by Anonymousreply 8609/29/2012

I find it hard to believe that mlop has just one friend "up there."

by Anonymousreply 8709/29/2012

Question - Did Jack O'Brien and Andrew Lloyd Webber have more than a just few rows, like some kind of huge clash or falling out, regarding the production of Love Never Dies in London?

I know it's a while back, and a bit obvious they'd not get on in that O'Brien appears to be a very pleasant, fun, capable director and that ALW has a certain notoriety in his dealings with people. The reason I ask though is because in the lot of the press and interviews regarding the LND Dvd and Oz production, ALW is so tactless and dismissive when descibing the London one it made me want to punch him through the screen!

Other ALW tales would be very much welcomed lol! Does he get anyone else's back up?

by Anonymousreply 8809/29/2012

r88, Love Never Dies is the biggest piece of dreck forced upon an unsuspecting audience. It is an embarrassment for everyone involved. Particularly for O'Brien and Lord Lloyd Weber. A colossal, unmitigated, relentless, baffling bore. The only decent songs are the one used in Beautiful Game(to better effect) and the reprise of Pima Donna. I, too, wanted to punch the screen, but it was during this two hour+ waste of time! I never got to the "special(?)" features.

by Anonymousreply 8909/29/2012

Tomorrow's the big day! What kinds of exciting things will happen on the first day of REBECCA rehearsals?

by Anonymousreply 9009/30/2012

I find it hard to believe mlop has one friend, period.

by Anonymousreply 9109/30/2012

Best show in town is the revival of Marry Me A Little starring Jason Tam who goes shirtless and barefoot in the last 20 minutes.

Cleverly staged and wonderfully sung WITHOUT amplication.

by Anonymousreply 9209/30/2012

Mlop is wacky, but she is harmless and sweet.

by Anonymousreply 9309/30/2012

Frank DiLella becomes part of the gay posse known as the Newses chorus. I don't kmow who is slurping whom more, Disney or Frank.

by Anonymousreply 9409/30/2012

As someone posted on ATC - is Virginia Woolf that last great American play? It just might be.

by Anonymousreply 9509/30/2012

r95 Yes.

by Anonymousreply 9609/30/2012

August: Osage County is the last great American play, though I realize that this is heresy for eldergays.

by Anonymousreply 9709/30/2012

OK, thread-watcher says there are 103 posts in this thread, but when I open it, there are only 97. What's up with that? Missing posts? Will I be r98 or r104?

by Anonymousreply 9809/30/2012

Hmmm....perhaps Webmaster is deleting posts that refer to you know who before they even appear.

If so, let's trust and go with it and continue with the good gossip.

by Anonymousreply 9909/30/2012

August Osage County isn't great, just trite.

In terms of ambition and scope, Angels in America is a far more worthy candidate, but even IT fails to achieve true greatness because, unlike Virginia Woolf or Streetcar or Salesman, it doesn't fulfill its own premise.

by Anonymousreply 10009/30/2012

Sorry R92 - clearly seeing Jason Tam in his shorts whacking off onstage (which does happen) has clouded your judgment.

MARRY ME A LITTLE is NOT well sung (Jason is no singer, and Lauren Molina's material is often not in her range); the direction is wrong (the attempts to update the script are imposed haphazardly and don't work, the director clearly doesn't understand how these characters connect so there is no connection, and the staging is weak); and the use of the cello is clearly a vanity for Molina that tips the show into John Doyle territory unnecessarily and damages the ending. PLUS the re-writes weaken the thru-line of the piece and don't work (Ah, but Underneath is a particular mess).

Too bad - the original production was captivating.

by Anonymousreply 10109/30/2012

"August Osage County" is a 3 hour, overheated, soap opera. Nothing more.

And, "Love Never Dies" is a much more interesting musical that its prequel. POTO is a musical melange of horseshit, directed with absolutely no skill or finesse by Uncle Hal.

by Anonymousreply 10209/30/2012

R88, Glenn Slater outlines both productions and what was changed in London and Melbourne with LOVE NEVER DIES in this pretty recent interview from BroadwayWorld.

by Anonymousreply 10309/30/2012

R102, POTO is a wonderful melodrama in the David Belasco tradition. It may not be your cup of tea but it certainly is well directed. Perhaps the fact that it has been running for decades negates your argument just a tad? No?

by Anonymousreply 10409/30/2012

LOVE NEVER DIES is abysmal. The big title song is laughable, almost as laughable as "Love Changes Everything."

I'm not a fan of POTO, but 104 has it right.

by Anonymousreply 10509/30/2012

"And, "Love Never Dies" is a much more interesting musical that its prequel."'

In complete agreement with you on that as well, r102.

by Anonymousreply 10609/30/2012

"I" don't think REBECCA's coming in...

by Anonymousreply 10709/30/2012

R95 I think "Doubt" might be.

by Anonymousreply 10809/30/2012

August: Osage County will betray its soap opera-ish roots when seen on the big screen, no matter who's in that cast.

by Anonymousreply 10909/30/2012

I know I sat through August: Osage County but honestly I can't remember a single moment about it.

by Anonymousreply 11009/30/2012

R105, "Love Changes Everything" was a top ten song in the UK and sold millions of copies. Laughable all the way to ALW's bank.

by Anonymousreply 11109/30/2012

There have been plenty great American plays since Virginia Woolf. Good gawd. There's Buried Child. Angels In America. August Wilson. Three Tall Women. There's plenty of 'em.

by Anonymousreply 11209/30/2012

Do any of you like the scenic and costume design of the Australian Love Never Dies?

And any opinions on the cute Sharon Millerchip who played Meg? Don't hate me but I thought she was the most charming out of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 11309/30/2012

Did I drop out of Hello, Dolly for nothing?

by Anonymousreply 11409/30/2012

Instant. Camp. Classic.

by Anonymousreply 11509/30/2012

Rebecca could have been fabulous.

Caroline O'Connor really is cursed. I saw her in Gypsy, she was fabulous, and heard her on the broadcast of Sweeney Todd, again excellent. Why isn't she getting any of these roles on broadway? Should someone send Patti LuPone to dinner theatre for a while to give someone else a shot?

by Anonymousreply 11609/30/2012

Not camp, R115. Kitsch. Pure kitsch.

by Anonymousreply 11709/30/2012

I don't think Caroline O'Connor is cursed but she deserves better exposure. Her dancing and comedy is spot on she really was great as Phyllis in the Chicago Follies, and very funny in couple of London pieces I saw her in, Bombshells and then The Showgirl Within last year.

Her American accent can be a bit off and she sometimes Henshalls through her teeth (growls, but I like her more than Lupone or Paige and have only heard nice thigs about her in person and in her support of younger dancers.

by Anonymousreply 11809/30/2012

PS: I'm not Mlop but I am tired, so please excuse my atrocious typing, I'm knackered. Night everybody! :-)

by Anonymousreply 11909/30/2012

[quote]Instant. Camp. Classic.

Thanks, r115. Yeah, it is. Would love to see it.

by Anonymousreply 12009/30/2012

How is it that Caroline O'Connor works so much in the US? Is she married to an American? Has she appeared on Broadway?

Forgive me. I've never heard of her except on DL.

by Anonymousreply 12109/30/2012

O'Connor has played Velma in Chicago on Broadway. She's married to a Brit, a musician who usually plays in the pit of her shows.

While she's worked solidly throughout her career, I'd say that Sweeney Todd in Paris has brought her career to a new level. It was recorded for radio and TV, so it exposed her to lots of new people.

by Anonymousreply 12209/30/2012

Her small role as Nini in Moulin Rouge is excellent, but it shows of her dancing more than anything else.

Sondheim supposedly loved her Lovett and she sang at the Proms concert that he attended not long after that. No word if he saw her in Gypsy or not, but with Assassins, Follies and West Side Story as well she's gotten through plenty of Sondheim shows.

by Anonymousreply 12309/30/2012

WAOVW is indeed one of the last great plays but not THE last.

I would definitely include DOUBT, THREE TALL WOMEN and at least one August Wilson play: either THE PIANO LESSON or FENCES.

I would also include Lynn Nottage's RUINED....I know it is set in Africa but she is a fabulous Brooklyn-born woman.

Your thoughts?

I intentioanlly am excluding anything by Wendy Wasserstein and I most-definitely exclude both of the "Fantasias" written by Tony Kushner.

by Anonymousreply 12409/30/2012

After hearing all your candidates for great plays since WAOVW, i will have to admit that Virginia Woolf is, indeed, the last great American play.

by Anonymousreply 12509/30/2012

[quote]i will have to admit that Virginia Woolf is, indeed, the last great American play

Ahem.

by Anonymousreply 12609/30/2012

I can't believe two of the songs are "Last Night I Dreamt of Manderley" and "Fire! Fire! Manderley's on Fire!"

I'm sorry it died because I would have loved to see the Forbidden Broadway version.

by Anonymousreply 12709/30/2012

That is the Forbidden Bway version!!

by Anonymousreply 12809/30/2012

maybe cesca zambello was the author of the secret email that finally killed the production at 1pm on friday.

where were you friday cesca?

by Anonymousreply 12909/30/2012

[quote]Sondheim supposedly loved her Lovett

Sondheim love everyone's Lovett. As long as the check clears.

by Anonymousreply 13009/30/2012

Ben Sprecher:

[quote] ...We have provided a copy of this e-mail to the proper authorities and a criminal investigation is already under way,” he continued.

Sounds vaguely familiar.

by Anonymousreply 13109/30/2012

"I know I sat through August: Osage County but honestly I can't remember a single moment about it."

The play is enthralled by television. Enough said.

by Anonymousreply 13209/30/2012

I have a lot of friends in that show, this is really sad. % was so looking forward to this show. There is a lot of funny business that goes on in the theatre and many shows that should have made it never did because of this kind of thing. A lot of money has been lost by innocent people. The actors turned down paying jobs because they were dedicated to this. They promised to pay the performers last week, and wonder of they were.

It sounds like an amazing show seeing videos from other productions. It was a great part for Karen Mason and James Barbour.

I hope there is a theatre angel who will come and rescue this.

I don't know what to say.... Maryann

by Anonymousreply 13309/30/2012

She seems to have said it all, r133

by Anonymousreply 13409/30/2012

As I told you all before, Rebecca is permanently finished, there would be no rehearsal, and Sprecher is ruined. There hasn't been anything quite this absurd in years and everyone is riveted by Sprecher's total destruction. There's talk of drugs or mental illness. He's going to be answering for a lot more than money.

by Anonymousreply 13509/30/2012

He was so reviled for his theatre-managing assholery, that Broadway is simply enjoying the show and having a good laugh at his expense.

by Anonymousreply 13610/01/2012

I want to know which one of you bitches sent that nasty email.

I want to thank you personally.

by Anonymousreply 13710/01/2012

Well, since we don't get to see the brilliance of Rebecca, any chance we'll get this in to replace it?

by Anonymousreply 13810/01/2012

We need the Ziemba troll to urge us all to dig deep into our ♥'s and pockets to save Rebecca.

by Anonymousreply 13910/01/2012

I did a show for Ben Sprecher, and I have to say that rumors of mental illness would actually help to explain the roller coaster ride that we all were on under his watch. It was a horrible experience, and he deserves everything he is getting and more.

by Anonymousreply 14010/01/2012

r140 are you Joan Collins?!

by Anonymousreply 14110/01/2012

R115 - Totally camp. I can't imagine it would have run 6 months. It so reminds me of ELEPHANT! See link below:

by Anonymousreply 14210/01/2012

Not in NYC any more and not familiar with any of the details on "Rebecca" or Ben Sprecher, but I do have to say, it reminds me a bit of the stringing-along of the cast of "AMC" and "OLTL" by that production company and producer who were promising to find a home for those cancelled soaps online; actors had signed contracts with him, blah-blah...and it all came to naught. I've been reading posts here about "Rebecca" for weeks and could predict this happening again. The naivete of theater people never ceases to amaze me (am naive myself.) I would bet that the "dead investor" never existed, Sprecher is a major piece of shit and crook, and HE probably needs to have a criminal investigation against HIM for fraud. If not this show, others.

What a bunch of shit. Maybe a group of actors from "Rebecca" can get together and off him. THAT would make a good mystery movie.

by Anonymousreply 14310/01/2012

[quote]We need the Ziemba troll to urge us all to dig deep into our ♥'s and pockets to save Rebecca.

Gang!! I wanted to play nameless second Mrs. deWinter.

by Anonymousreply 14410/01/2012

I saw Caroline O'Connor in a NYMF show a few years back (THE HATPIN?). It was an Australian import. Good show, no commercial potential. She was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 14510/01/2012

r115 - Long before The Tall Guy, SCTV did their own Elephant Man musical, with Eugene Levy as Anthony Newley as John Merrick.

by Anonymousreply 14610/01/2012

The only point of BURNING was to see how and when each cast member would end up fucking or getting fucked onstage. One of them most boring experiences of my life.

by Anonymousreply 14710/01/2012

Caroline O'Connor is playing the teacher in A Christmas Story. She has a big number where she transforms into the Wicked Witch of the West.

Karen Mason played the role last year in Chicago, but I guess she decided to do Rebecca instead!

by Anonymousreply 14810/01/2012

[quote]Maybe a group of actors from "Rebecca" can get together and off him. THAT would make a good mystery movie.

WHy not just film CURTAINS?

by Anonymousreply 14910/01/2012

Now with Rebecca gone, what are the must-see fall shows?

by Anonymousreply 15010/01/2012

Not sure about the must-see fall shows but there are certainly a number of must-see fail shows.

by Anonymousreply 15110/01/2012

This haunted attraction/environmental theater piece about serial killers is the only show this season I would actually consider going to New York to see.

by Anonymousreply 15210/01/2012

its' a black day on Broadway today I have been on the street and talking to those who have plenty of words for that producer who has hurt so many with his lies and no show to come. I feel for them. No insurance that would have been great for families. Its a sad day and who do you turn to and trust?? Dispeucable behavior on his part. Poeple I have spoken to don't believe there ever was an investor who died. A shame

Maryan n

by Anonymousreply 15310/01/2012

Poor Howard McGillin. Where will he get chorus boy ass to fuck now?

by Anonymousreply 15410/01/2012

What's up with the strange numbering at R52 and R53? Did some stuff get deleted and everything re-numbered?

by Anonymousreply 15510/02/2012

I'm r53 and that was just me fucking up. I meant to reference r52, and I meant to sign it Danny Lockin. So I double fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 15610/02/2012

Given the Rebecca disaster, what was the other recent producer debacle? I think it was a production of Dracula that was done off-Broadway. All I remember is that Willa Kim did the costumes.

by Anonymousreply 15710/02/2012

For R157 =

by Anonymousreply 15810/02/2012

FYI, Face Value is the last great American play.

by Anonymousreply 15910/02/2012

Speaking of last great American plays, how much longer to we have to wait for a revival of Six Degrees of Separation co-starring every former TV sitcom has-been and directed too solemnly by David Cromer?

by Anonymousreply 16010/02/2012

Face Value? please. no rice plays.

by Anonymousreply 16110/02/2012

"Poor Howard McGillin. Where will he get chorus boy ass to fuck now?"

R154, why would you say that? He has a partner and is a parent to 2 sons.

by Anonymousreply 16210/02/2012

None of which means shit, R162.

by Anonymousreply 16310/03/2012

Your Klan hood is showing, R162.

by Anonymousreply 16410/03/2012

Even for you r164, that is a bizarre response.

by Anonymousreply 16510/03/2012

I think r164 meant r161, whose Klan hood is indeed showing. Go burn a cross, motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 16610/03/2012

the question of the day is: Will "Marry Me A Little" transfer?

by Anonymousreply 16710/03/2012

Marry Me a Little transfer announced!

It will be opening at the Sunset Retirement Villa in Palm Springs in January!

by Anonymousreply 16810/03/2012

Not after those reviews, R167.

Nor should it.

by Anonymousreply 16910/04/2012

Still no Jeckyll & Hyde reviews??

by Anonymousreply 17010/04/2012

For the dramatic life Merman actually had, THIS is the story they come up with? At least it's not "Looped". But this woman hung out with Irving Berlin and Cole fucking Porter!

"Picture it: 1970," press notes state. "The Golden Age of Musical Theatre is drawing to an end. But 12-year-old Muriel Plakenstein doesn't know that. So she runs away from home to become a Broadway star, and meets the Queen of Broadway Ethel Merman, who takes her to a Hello, Dolly! rehearsal where they sing together. When legendary producer David Merrick hears the kid, he decides to star Muriel in the first all-child cast of Dolly! Naturally, Merman takes her under wing to teach her the ropes of being a star...making little Muriel Plakenstein Merman's Apprentice."

by Anonymousreply 17110/04/2012

I know it's important that we discuss Ethel Merman, but I have a question.

I am told the lovely Jake Gyllenhall, who is currently doing a well-reviewed Off-Broadway play, has a nude shower scene in Jarhead, his movie about marines.

It's a scene where all the boys are naked, standing around in the steamy shower. I cannot find it anywhere. I'd like to see it before I decide to see his play.

by Anonymousreply 17210/04/2012

From what I recall, J.G's nude scene in Jarhead is mainly his ass when he's fucking a girl. A very nice one too.

by Anonymousreply 17310/04/2012

Yes, I know, but I also remember Sweet Jake dancing with a Santa Clause hat on his dick. His ass was on full display but his dick was covered. Does he strip in this play?

by Anonymousreply 17410/04/2012

Just put LAST DANCE in one of the empty theaters (Music Box?) and you got a surefire hit.

by Anonymousreply 17510/04/2012

What do we think of this ITW cast, girls?

by Anonymousreply 17610/04/2012

What 173 and R174 said is correct. And as an aside, Jake's co star in the play Annie Funke loves working with him. Says he's a sweetheart. Being a NYC fag hag however, she has no idea which way 'his dick blows'.... gay.. striaght.. bi? No clue.

by Anonymousreply 17710/04/2012

Jesus Christ!

by Anonymousreply 17810/04/2012

Any guesses as to who this cast member is?

by Anonymousreply 17910/04/2012

r177

I'm sure she'll appreciate you quoting her.

by Anonymousreply 18010/04/2012

Jesus! Lloyd Webber disses the London LND again! Why does he even mention it?!? Unless he thinks that "Love Should Die" Facebook nonsense is burned into people's minds. Newsflash Andrew, Brits barely care about West End musicals these days, no-one remembers buddy!

From BroadwayWorld:

"Andrew Lloyd Webber revealed in a recent interview with Scotsman.com that the Australian version of LOVE NEVER DIES will indeed make its way back to the UK. He told Scotsman: 'The Australian production, which was wonderful - the London production wasn’t very good, the Australians got it right - is going out next year. The plan is, that will go on the road here, in the autumn of next year.'"

by Anonymousreply 18110/04/2012

Dear Anonymous "Rebecca" Cast Member: if you feel the need to publicly compare your maligned producer to Max Bialystock...he probably [bold]IS[/bold] Max Bialystock.

Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 18210/04/2012

r181

It makes sense from a marketing perspective: "don't worry you won't be seeing the West End failure, you'll be seeing the Australian triumph!"

And wasn't it "Paint Never Dries" rather than "Love Should Die"?

by Anonymousreply 18310/04/2012

The Australian LND is probably too big to tour many venues in the UK, so it'll end up having to do longer runs, which probably won't sell out.

The physical production wasn't horrible for LND in London, though there were moments were there was basically no set, and pieces were clunkily carried on by characters (the final scene comes to mind). The problem was the story, which is still muddy as hell. I don't get why they have Oscar Hammerstein mentioned as part of the deception to bring Christine to New York.

by Anonymousreply 18410/04/2012

OMG Love Never Dies Lives! WHY??????? It's a giant turd. The worst musical Sir Weber with which ever was connected - and yes, I am not forgetting the tiny turd Jeeves.

by Anonymousreply 18510/04/2012

r185

Sir can only be followed by a first name.

by Anonymousreply 18610/04/2012

That letter sounds like it was written by the stage manager, Tripp what's his name - who sent them the email saying they will start rehearsals on Monday. He's a very knee-jerk kind of guy, and that's how this sounds.

by Anonymousreply 18710/04/2012

[quote]he decides to star Muriel in the first all-child cast of Dolly! Naturally, Merman takes her under wing to teach her the ropes of being a star...making little Muriel Plakenstein Merman's Apprentice."

This sounds like one of those joke musicals, like the Elephant Man musical. Who in their right mind would write something like this?

by Anonymousreply 18810/04/2012

Lyricist-librettist Stephen Cole apparently had a friendship with Merman.

by Anonymousreply 18910/04/2012

And so he decided to turn her into a character in a crappy musical? It's a really, really BAD idea.

by Anonymousreply 19010/04/2012

R Rak news!

by Anonymousreply 19110/04/2012

ALW dishes the London Love Never Dies because he's mad at Jack O'Brian, who directed it, and abandoned it when he saw that it was never going to be any good.

by Anonymousreply 19210/04/2012

here you go r172

by Anonymousreply 19310/04/2012

[quote] Still no Jeckyll & Hyde reviews??

The LA critics are likely waiting until the show hits a slightly more mainstream venue like the Pantages next February.

by Anonymousreply 19410/05/2012

"Pleasure Island", "Trapped in a Stairway", "Enough is Enough", "Last Dance", "It's Raining Men", "Don't Lose Your Sense of Humour", "The Main Event"....and more!

by Anonymousreply 19510/05/2012

Suggestion: If you’re a Shubert Organization bigwig, or a well-known producer/general manager, or a respected Broadway PR person, don’t stand at the back of the orchestra section of your small theater (currently hosting a play-in-previews) leaning on the standing-room-only rail and loudly discuss all the insider scoop on the REBECCA/ Ben Sprecher situation (including who might have sent the anonymous email). Your 10 minute, catty banter - full of references to other show biz biggies and meetings to discuss money, and what to do with the theater, cast, crew, etc. – might be overheard by the theater queens seated in their last-row TDF seats, and then repeated ad nauseum to others, including Michael Reidel of the NY Post. At least we now know that Michael Blakemore is a “sweetheart” who didn’t deserve to have this happen to him.

Just a suggestion…

by Anonymousreply 19610/05/2012

Jenni Barber-- hope her show is a hit. I adore her.

by Anonymousreply 19710/05/2012

San Diego paper weighs in on JEKYLL & HYDE

by Anonymousreply 19810/05/2012

Do we need to discuss the new Jekyll & Hyde recording as well?

IT STINKS.

by Anonymousreply 19910/05/2012

Talkin Broadway's regional review - JEKYLL & HYDE.

by Anonymousreply 20010/05/2012

Who gives a fuck about JEKYLL AND HYDE?

by Anonymousreply 20110/05/2012

The six remaining Frank Wildhorn fans, that's who.

by Anonymousreply 20210/05/2012

R201- Someone asked for reviews in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 20310/05/2012

Perhaps with those reviews, sanity will prevail and Jeckyll & Hyde will die on the road.

by Anonymousreply 20410/05/2012

Has anyone seen a preview of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

I am reluctant to spend the cash on another revival of a play I saw not that long ago.

by Anonymousreply 20510/07/2012

Went to the first preview of THE HEIRESS tonight.

Needs pacing help - it's THREE HOURS long and feels it.

Chastain is OK in Act I, but lost in Act II (yes, it's being done in two acts instead of the three it was originally written in). She really has no idea of what happens to this character, and director Moises Kaufman is, as usual, no help to his actors (What DOES he do in rehearals? Beats me). Straithairn is OK, but not "heavy" enough - he's too lightweight in the role. The Boy from Downtown Abbey is GORGEOUS and quite charming as Morris - if no Monty Clift, he does acquit himself well and I would love to see him naked. The show is stolen by Judith Ivey as the aunt, and she deserved (and got) the biggest hand at curtain calls.

Design is lovely, but the direction is almost non-existent, and the acting is every man for himself, clearly. Not a patch on the last revival.

by Anonymousreply 20610/07/2012

Thanks r206! Now that's the kind of well-written post we need to see more of in this thread, especially with so many shows opening these days.

by Anonymousreply 20710/07/2012

Chastain has ZERO star quality, lucked out in some big movie roles, but her fifteen are almost up and NO ONE will be running to this show based on her name.

by Anonymousreply 20810/07/2012

monochromatic Wesley Taylor

by Anonymousreply 20910/07/2012

Agreed r208. The oddest and most inexplicable rise to fame since Gretchen Mol. She's the Sam Worthington of actresses. There are fifty others just like her graduated from Juilliard in the past three years. Very, very bizarre that all these directors decided she was "it" when she has zero chemistry with other actors and radiates zero heat on screen.

Like Taylor Kitsch, she'll be gone by next year.

by Anonymousreply 21010/07/2012

except for the fantastic work of Tracey Letts at george--a completely proficient production of V Woolf-nothing that you wouldnt see at any reputable regional theatre--not sure what the impetus was to being this in to NY

by Anonymousreply 21110/07/2012

Will compose for food.

by Anonymousreply 21210/07/2012

Amy Morton ruins "Virginia Woolf". She's certainly no Uta Hagen, Kate Reid, Elaine Stritch, Elizabeth Taylor, Colleen Dewhurst,or Kathleen Turner. She plays the role like a pissy house cat in a bad mood. She ruins every scene she's in.

This is the first "Virginia Woolf" I've seen where the men take over the play. And the two men are amazing. But no amazing enough to save this lightweight production that should have stayed in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 21310/07/2012

Whatever you say about the "Rebecca" knucklehead, he at least had a passion for bringing in an original show. Where in the world did these producers think anyone wanted another "Virginia Woolf', especially with a cast of nobody's after the recent one with a movie star.

by Anonymousreply 21410/07/2012

What's really impressive is the actor playing Nick in VW got his equity card from doing the production in Chicago.

So it's his first time in the big leagues.

Next stop, "The Good Wife" and "Person Of Interest". Mark Saks never misses a trick. So to speak.

by Anonymousreply 21510/07/2012

R110 I remember the set. And Brian Kerwin was good.

by Anonymousreply 21610/07/2012

It's me. I've taken out a second mortgage on Manderley. On with the show!!!!!

by: Max De Wintert

Get fire insurance. Trust me, fire insurance.

by Anonymousreply 21710/07/2012

People are up in arm over the Overture of ANNIE being cut.

This defines "get a life, theater queen!"

by Anonymousreply 21810/07/2012

R217-- and.... that Annie doesn't have the curly mop of hair at the end.

by Anonymousreply 21910/07/2012

Why those theatrical rebels!(shaking fist in the air)

by Anonymousreply 22010/07/2012

LOL R220

by Anonymousreply 22110/07/2012

Saw Annie. Loved it. I like her final hairdo. It's a more natural final look. They should put back the overture though. And I'm sure they will.

by Anonymousreply 22210/07/2012

R222- How was Brynn O'Malley (Grace ) ?

by Anonymousreply 22310/07/2012

Terrific! She is one of four Michigan graduates in the show.

by Anonymousreply 22410/07/2012

Angels in America:The Musical

by Anonymousreply 22510/07/2012

[quote] Angels in America: The Musical

It was already turned into an opera. Is Diane Paulus doing the "adaptation"?

by Anonymousreply 22610/08/2012

Annie does have a pretty good overture, actually.

But overtures are out of fashion now.

by Anonymousreply 22710/08/2012

R224 - And Desi Oakley who also went to Michigan, is her u/s. Knew them both from MTW Happy for them.

by Anonymousreply 22810/08/2012

KINKY BOOTS is in previews...Anyone heard anything yet?

by Anonymousreply 22910/08/2012

Does KINKIY BOOTS have an overture?

by Anonymousreply 23010/08/2012

Kinky Boots got two memorable review posts on that other site.

The first one praised it so highly and unrelentingly that it sounded like the words of a shill.

The second post was far more discerning and detailed and also mostly negative, laying a lot of the blame on Cyndi Lauper's inability to write a proper theater score and Harvey's unfunny and dated jokes about drag queens.

by Anonymousreply 23110/08/2012

Former ingenue Rebecca Luker as a withered old nun on Boardwalk Empire.

by Anonymousreply 23210/08/2012

Did we say [bold]ONE[/bold] mystery investor? We meant to say [bold]FOUR[/bold]! Oopsie!

by Anonymousreply 23310/08/2012

"Inquiry Finds That Four 'Rebecca' Investors Did Not Exist "

Did any?

by Anonymousreply 23410/08/2012

how do you get to the week before rehearsal without signed investment papers and cash in hand (especially when that represents a full third of the entire capitalization) never mind Ben Sprecher who's the incompetent GM?

(also, if 1/3 of the capitalization is not in place--many people, designers, scene shops etc are never getting their full fees)

by Anonymousreply 23510/08/2012

I don't want to go through the whole Raul and his bisexual cock thread. What's going on with Bobby (GIANT) Steggert? Who is he dating?

by Anonymousreply 23610/08/2012

Back in the early aughts, I was a client at William Morris, and Marc Subias while there was telling people that Edward Albee based the Goat upon the relationship of Daryl Roth and her husband... Anyone else hear this rumor?

by Anonymousreply 23710/08/2012

R236-His boyfriend, who was always around Westport Country Playhouse while Bobby was playing gay onstage. And he's lovely to behold.

by Anonymousreply 23810/08/2012

I know Albee's The Goat is about a husband who would rather fuck a goat than his wife but what is the play REALLY about?

by Anonymousreply 23910/08/2012

More about Mark Subias, please!

by Anonymousreply 24010/08/2012

Mark drops names as if it were an olympic sport

by Anonymousreply 24110/08/2012

r238...who is Steggert's boyfriend? Raul?

by Anonymousreply 24210/08/2012

[quote]But overtures are out of fashion now.

What!? Really? When did you decide this?

Mark Subias is quite nice. Elegant, and grande, but he's a hard worker, and no fool. Why do we expect the "Swanning Around A Bit Full Of Myself" type to go out of style!?

by Anonymousreply 24310/08/2012

R237-I've heard "The Goat" story from quite a few people. Apparently, Albee stayed with the family at their country estate and wrote the play based on what he observed while with the family. The gay son would, of course, be Jordan. Having observed the family together at a party recently, I'd say Albee was right on target. Poor Mrs. Jordan Roth, aka, internet perv Richie Jackson.

And btw, Raul is NOT bobby's boyfriend, fuck buddy, or anything else. Bobby is nicely hooked up with someone his own age.

by Anonymousreply 24410/08/2012

Bobby looks like he's been hitting the gym.

by Anonymousreply 24510/09/2012

Raul's hooked up with somebody new, too. Somebody his own age. Can anybody put a name to him?

by Anonymousreply 24610/09/2012

"I know Albee's The Goat is about a husband who would rather fuck a goat than his wife but what is the play REALLY about"

It's about what happens when life moves in on you, or, to be fancy about it, when Dionysian impulses overwhelm Apollonian rationale.

by Anonymousreply 24710/09/2012

Speaking of Bobby S ... what's the story with all the people who were dropped from Giant before it came to NY ... cutie Matt Doyle (who def thought he was going to Bway with this), hunky Aaron Lazar, Dee Hoty, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 24810/09/2012

Was Mrs. Danvers behind it all?? Did they find the bodies of four investors in the bottom of a boat?

On another note, Playbill has an article up about up and coming musical theatre writers. They all sound so similar. I think it's the cabaret settings and using the same types of young singers so often, but a lot of the work just bored me.

by Anonymousreply 24910/09/2012

I thought Matt Doyle made the choice to go with Diner instead of Giant? I believe he plays more of a lead role in Diner but could be wrong about that. Haven't heard either's score so that could also be a factor in his choice, obviously. And Diner is Broadway, Giant is the piss-paying Public, at least for now.

Or....maybe he just wasn't asked to continue with Giant.

by Anonymousreply 25010/09/2012

"a lot of the work just bored me."

That's because it'a boring, trite and untheatrical piano-pop. "Pushing the art form forward?" It is to laugh.

Re: Giant. When the original director got his walking papers, a lot of the cast got booted as well.

by Anonymousreply 25110/09/2012

I thought Matt Doyle made the choice to go with Diner instead of Giant? I believe he plays more of a lead role in Diner but could be wrong about that. Haven't heard either's score so that could also be a factor in his choice, obviously. And Diner is Broadway, Giant is the piss-paying Public, at least for now.

And who exactly would "the lead" in DINER be? The movie was an ensemble piece, there was no real lead. Unless it's Boogie, but Matt Doyle is no Mickey Rourke.

by Anonymousreply 25210/09/2012

Amy Morton actually made me cry when breaks down at the end. Tracy Letts was scary.

by Anonymousreply 25310/09/2012

I thought Matt Doyle was still a go for Giant? He keeps alluding on Twitter that he'll be announcing a new role very soon (I think in the next few weeks) and I had assumed it was Giant. Is it Diner instead? Or something else?

by Anonymousreply 25410/09/2012

Matt Doyle Mike Doyle what's the difference?

by Anonymousreply 25510/09/2012

Amy Morton made me cry too, but I was weeping because I wished a better actress were playing Martha.

by Anonymousreply 25610/09/2012

Frankly, I don't trust that Diner is ever really happening. They cancelled their fall tryout in San Francisco for no apparent reason other than the show wasn't ready.

But playing one of those boys in Diner might still be a better role than whatever Matt Doyle was playing in Giant, if he wasn't playing James Dean.

Yes, he's no Mickey Rourke, but he's sure no James Dean either.

by Anonymousreply 25710/09/2012

Amy Morton was excellent- and much more believable as someone who has had their lives shaped by living on a campus- While she isn't a professor, she looks like one (by osmosis to a degree) and its so much better than the overdone Kathleen Turner..

by Anonymousreply 25810/09/2012

OMG R256.....so harsh, lol.

by Anonymousreply 25910/09/2012

R255 - Mike Doyle: TV actor. Currently on 666 Park. Dating Andrew Rannells.

Matt Doyle: Broadway actor. Spring Awakening, Bye Bye Birdie, War Horse. Dating Newsie Ryan Steele.

So can anyone confirm what project is next for MATT Doyle?

by Anonymousreply 26010/09/2012

Wait - Mike Doyle is dating Andrew Rannells? I thought Gavin Creel and Rannells were an item? Or have they broken up?

by Anonymousreply 26110/09/2012

Mike Doyle has a notorious roving eye.

by Anonymousreply 26210/09/2012

Mike Doyle is not dating Andrew Rannells, nor is Gavin Creel.

by Anonymousreply 26310/10/2012

But Gavin WAS dating him. His honey goo-goo stuff was all over Twitter when he got Andrew's part in the tour of MORMON.

by Anonymousreply 26410/10/2012

Mike Doyle's appearance on 666 Park Ave. was a one-ep guest shot (he got killed off 2/3 way thru the ep); ditto his appearance on The Good Wife - because of the football on CBS, Mike appeared on two networks simultaneously this past Sunday.

If Matt Doyle was foolish enough to think he'd be coming into NY with either GIANT or DINER, he needs better representation. Bobby Steggert got the part Matt had in GIANT.

Here is the cast list for GIANT at the Public, which starts performances October 26:

Enrique Acevedo, Raul Aranas, Mary Bacon, Kate Baldwin, Miguel Cervantes, Natalie Cortez, Rocio Del Mar Valles, John Dossett, Jon Fletcher, PJ Griffith, Michael Halling, Brian d’Arcy James, Mackenzie Mauzy, Doreen Montalvo, Michele Pawk, Allison Rogers, Isabel Santiago, Martin Sola, Bobby Steggert, Matthew Stocke, Katie Thompson, and William Youmans

Now, who can give us the NAMES of Steggert's and Esparza's new bfs, please?

by Anonymousreply 26510/10/2012

You reading comprehension is not very good, r265. Matt Doyle did not think he was coming in with GIANT because he turned it down. If DINER really makes if in, he'll be in it.

by Anonymousreply 26610/10/2012

Did Matt Cavenaugh give it up for Arthur Laurents or was it just a platonic crush on the geezer's part?

by Anonymousreply 26710/10/2012

Who does Bobby Steggart play in Giant? Will he need Streaks 'n' Tips to play the older Jett Rink (is that the Jimmy Dean role?)???

by Anonymousreply 26810/10/2012

R263 - Then why are Mike and Andrew living together in Los Angeles? Andrew has said in the press that he has a boyfriend he moved to LA with. It's Mike.

by Anonymousreply 26910/10/2012

[quote]Did Matt Cavenaugh give it up for Arthur Laurents or was it just a platonic crush on the geezer's part?

Bitch, you believe Riedel, the gossip monger? The little girl is being vindictive to a dead guy who done him wrong. Laurents was 92 at the time, you think he was really looking to get laid?

by Anonymousreply 27010/10/2012

I see, r266 -- Matt Doyle, a struggling young actor, "turned down" a major role in a big new musical at the Public, which he had already played out of town, in favor of a show that may or not ever actually happen in the future -- and that did not conflict with the first show in any case.

by Anonymousreply 27110/10/2012

Diner has a score by Sheryl Crow. I can see why he thought it would definitely come in.

Both shows are probably shit, but Crow's got a good media profile.

by Anonymousreply 27210/10/2012

Arthur Laurents article

by Anonymousreply 27310/10/2012

"Diner has a score by Sheryl Crow. I can see why he thought it would definitely come in.

"Both shows are probably shit, but Crow's got a good media profile."

Except she was greeted with nothing but silence when she appeared on the Tony Awards, where the crowd seemed to have had just about enough of rock stars writing musicals.

by Anonymousreply 27410/10/2012

In Sondheim's Finishing The Hat, he mentions that Laurents succumbed to giving GYPSY the "cartoon" treatment in one of the productions he directed. Which one might Sondheim be referring to?

by Anonymousreply 27510/10/2012

Rannells and Doyle are not living together.

by Anonymousreply 27610/10/2012

Get back to us when you turn 92, bitch . . . I mean, r270.

by Anonymousreply 27710/10/2012

Minnie Mouse on Quaaludes sings from space.

by Anonymousreply 27810/10/2012

[quote]Except she was greeted with nothing but silence when she appeared on the Tony Awards, where the crowd seemed to have had just about enough of rock stars writing musicals.

No one gives a shit about "the crowd" that attends the Tony Awards. They care about tourist audiences and what they'll respond to on a marquee. When will you silly theater queens stop pretending it's 1935 and everyone's sitting around on their artistic high horses waiting for the new Group Theater production?

by Anonymousreply 27910/10/2012

Okay, r279, the whole world has been dying for a Cheryl Crow musical.

by Anonymousreply 28010/10/2012

No one said that, r280. NO ONE is dying for a musical of any sort, sorry to tell you. But tourists WILL go to a musical written by someone they know from the radio. Don't pretend you don't know that's what I meant.

by Anonymousreply 28110/10/2012

I don't care who writes the fucking things as long as the shows don't suck. "Popular song" teams have written shows since time immemorial: Irving Berlin, Cole Porter, Frank Loesser, Adler & Ross...

The question is whether the songs are theatrical in the context of the show not whether they resemble previously-loved show tunes.

by Anonymousreply 28210/10/2012

Of course they will, R281

by Anonymousreply 28310/10/2012

But they didn't, Dolly, they didn't.

by Anonymousreply 28410/10/2012

"Bitch, you believe Riedel, the gossip monger? The little girl is being vindictive to a dead guy who done him wrong. Laurents was 92 at the time, you think he was really looking to get laid?"

Yes, it is not possible!!

by Anonymousreply 28510/10/2012

Dolly's right in supporting r281's theory.

by Anonymousreply 28610/10/2012

I agree with Dolly. And my songs are especially bad.

by Anonymousreply 28710/10/2012

Gavin is living at Andrew's house while touring for BOM

by Anonymousreply 28810/10/2012

Gavin and Andrew are living together in LA. Mike Doyle lives in NY - all his recent work (666, Good Wife) shoots in NY.

Andrew moved to LA for The New Normal, not "for a boyfriend."

by Anonymousreply 28910/10/2012

Craig Lucas? They don't mean...Craig Lucas?

by Anonymousreply 29010/10/2012

R289 - Andrew didn't move "for a boyfriend" he moved "with a boyfriend." He stated in an interview that he moved to LA (to do The New Normal) "with his boyfriend" in mid-July. Gavin was in Colorado doing BOM then.

Mike Doyle may shoot some stuff in NYC, but he's definitely in LA. Just look at his twitter - he's in LA. He went to the Emmys with Andrew, and there have been many twitter posts and photos of them together in LA. People talk about them as a pair. I'm pretty sure they're together.

by Anonymousreply 29110/10/2012

"Ghost Investor" = Bain Capital

How's [italic]that[/italic] for an October surprise?

by Anonymousreply 29210/10/2012

For better or worse, Barry Levinson who wrote and directed the film of Diner, has apparently also written the libretto for the musical.

by Anonymousreply 29310/10/2012

R288- Andrew has a house already?

by Anonymousreply 29410/10/2012

I also completely agree with Dolly, Bono and OF COURSE R281 !

by Anonymousreply 29510/10/2012

[quote] Andrew has a house already?

A rental, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 29610/10/2012

Gavin Creel does not live with AR. Christ.

by Anonymousreply 29710/10/2012

"NO ONE is dying for a musical of any sort"

The day when NO ONE is dying for a musical of any sort is the day when the human race can officially be declared dead.

by Anonymousreply 29810/11/2012

Gavin Creel, Matt Doyle, Andrew Rannells and Mike Doyle are all living together in a house they rented from Sheryl Crow. Bobby Steggart was out to visit them last week so they could all sample his Giant.

by Anonymousreply 29910/11/2012

Are you fucking people all crazed??? Give it up on this Matt, Mike, Daniel, Bobby, Raul, Gavin shit. Who the fuck cares, unless you're fucking one of them yourself. And the losers on this site ain't doing that dirty deed.

by Anonymousreply 30010/11/2012

Gav, while in LA for BOmM is staying at Andy's house. They had late dinner at Chin Chin the other night.

by Anonymousreply 30110/11/2012

All this misinformation about the sex lives of glorified chorus boys, when we could be talking about something important:

by Anonymousreply 30210/11/2012

Pippin cast=BO-RING

by Anonymousreply 30310/11/2012

This keeps falling out of my threadwatcher. Any idea why?

by Anonymousreply 30410/11/2012

New poster art for Les Mis movie features Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe.

When did BWW losers decide they were international film marketing and pr experts? It doesn't matter if you think they look good or not, these shots will sell the movie.

by Anonymousreply 30610/11/2012

Further proof Broadway is dead: B- pop performer going into the St. James.

by Anonymousreply 30710/11/2012

There is a god: Overture back into ANNIE.

by Anonymousreply 30810/11/2012

r307

Taylor Dayne?

by Anonymousreply 30910/11/2012

Bette Midler?

by Anonymousreply 31010/11/2012

Paula Abdul joining cast of Bring It On

by Anonymousreply 31110/11/2012

Donny & Marie are doing their Spring show: "Hop on Pop" Saw it in Vegas. Insane.

by Anonymousreply 31210/11/2012

As what R311?? Everyone in that cast is in their twenties.

by Anonymousreply 31310/11/2012

Paula Abdul to play Big Edie.

by Anonymousreply 31410/11/2012

Randy Jackson as Little Edie.

by Anonymousreply 31510/11/2012

Any word on who's been cast in Book of Mormon in London?

by Anonymousreply 31610/11/2012

R300- who is Daniel?

by Anonymousreply 31710/11/2012

I think R300 means Daniel Radcliffe.

by Anonymousreply 31810/12/2012

I'm with Dolly, Bono and the gang...

by Anonymousreply 31910/12/2012

Raul was pretty good and muy sexy as the ADA this week on SVU - much better than Connick ever was.

Is Raul a regular now?

by Anonymousreply 32010/12/2012

[quote]This keeps falling out of my threadwatcher. Any idea why?

It's doing you a favor.

by Anonymousreply 32110/12/2012

How long until Mama June is Mama Morton

by Anonymousreply 32210/12/2012

Don't tease nem R322!

by Anonymousreply 32310/12/2012

Not a regular, but recurring, r320. Next ep is November 14. Follow Warren Leight on Twitter for more info.

by Anonymousreply 32410/12/2012

Raul stole the show, and must've had like 4 different suits in less than 15 minutes. He looked great in all of them. I was surprised that Chumskly, whom I loved in Veep, sucked so much.

Roger Bart will play the creepy guy forever, won't he?

by Anonymousreply 32510/12/2012

Anyone else feeling the flop sweat from Chicago?

by Anonymousreply 32610/12/2012

r317 and r318 I'm referring to that freaking looking Rannels kid on The New Normal - whatever his first name might be.

by Anonymousreply 32710/12/2012

Chicago is hardly a flop. Fran and Barry have flogged that thing for decades.

by Anonymousreply 32810/12/2012

I think he was referring to the Chicago tryout of Kinky Boots...

by Anonymousreply 32910/12/2012

Does That mean KB is no good?

by Anonymousreply 33010/12/2012

I hate to say it but the preview songs with Lauper singing sounded shit. Like something you'd throw together for a Pride event. In all fairness, at least they're attempting to adapt a movie that wasnt a huuuuuge blockbuster.

by Anonymousreply 33110/12/2012

Kim Cattrall's starring in Sweet Bird of Youth next summer at the Old Vic Theatre in London. Perfect role for her. They apparently want to cast an American actor as Chance. Any ideas?

Daniel Radcliffe would be adorable in Book of Mormon. I wonder if they're feeling him out about doing it in the West End.

by Anonymousreply 33210/12/2012

Has anyone else seen Author Directing Author at LaMama? Craig Bierko got fat.

by Anonymousreply 33310/12/2012

Has anyone actually SEEN KB???

by Anonymousreply 33410/12/2012

Kim Cattrall can't play a convincing movie star, since she's never been one.

by Anonymousreply 33510/12/2012

Colton Haynes for Chance!

by Anonymousreply 33610/12/2012

Andrea Martin as Berthe is a natural...but sort of a letdown too. It's not really a big enough role for her kind of personality.

by Anonymousreply 33710/12/2012

Matthew Saldivar in "Peter and the Starcatcher". Wow. He is giving an incredible performance. What a charismatic guy. I wonder if....

by Anonymousreply 33810/12/2012

I've heard KB is not selling.

by Anonymousreply 33910/12/2012

R332 - I'm sure Daniel Radcliffe is being felt out for numerous opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 34010/12/2012

[quote]Andrea Martin as Berthe is a natural...but sort of a letdown too. It's not really a big enough role for her kind of personality.

Nonsense. I can give her tips on how to make that role a standout!

by Anonymousreply 34110/12/2012

[quote] I'm sure Daniel Radcliffe is being felt out for numerous opportunities.

Rupert, I think you meant "felt UP"...

by Anonymousreply 34210/13/2012

jesse21 loved "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" and gave it a 5 star review.

by Anonymousreply 34310/13/2012

I'm in deep negotiations with Matt Bomer to play Chance opposite Kim Cattrall in Sweet Bird of Youth at my theatre The Old Vic. VERY deep.

by Anonymousreply 34410/13/2012

did anyone else catch the news? Nina Arianda is the latest big screen Janis Joplin.

by Anonymousreply 34510/13/2012

Kevin Spacey's mum died....is he doing a Norman Bates type thing?

by Anonymousreply 34610/13/2012

In Kevin's case, his "mum" is an 80 year old drag queen named Bella De Ball,

by Anonymousreply 34710/13/2012

"jesse21 loved "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" and gave it a 5 star review."

He's wrong.

by Anonymousreply 34810/13/2012

Kevin Spacey's "mum" is a rentboy named Rodney.

by Anonymousreply 34910/13/2012

7 years ago, Zooey was cast to play Janis.

by Anonymousreply 35010/14/2012

Is CHAPLIN still running?

WHY?

by Anonymousreply 35110/14/2012

Hey Gang!

I'm in a SHOW! It's called Heresy and it's downtown and the cutest little theatre called The Flea! It's in TriBeCa!

Come see me!

XOXOXO

by Anonymousreply 35210/14/2012

What do we think of the Scarlett Johannson CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF ad in today's New York Times?

by Anonymousreply 35310/14/2012

Could R300 BE TAlking about this Daniel? He is touring book of Mormon with Gav.

by Anonymousreply 35410/14/2012

VIRGINIA WOOLF was excellent. I saw the 2nd preview and it was uneven. Saw it on Friday and it was AMAZING

by Anonymousreply 35510/14/2012

I pissed on it, r353.

by Anonymousreply 35610/14/2012

r 338 He must have changed his performance. He was not very good when I saw him.

by Anonymousreply 35710/14/2012

"Saw it on Friday and it was AMAZING"

Short of Uta Hagen rising from the grave to replace the unbelievably miscast Amy Morton, there's nothing that could be considered "amazing" about this production of WAOVW. Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 35810/14/2012

r358 Do you think Amy Morton was miscast? Or is that the director's "take" on the role of Martha in a "new look" revival? I agree with you but wasn't sure if it was the actress or the director.

by Anonymousreply 35910/14/2012

It's the actress. Amy Morton is totally wrong for Martha. She has none of the larger than life qualities that Martha should have. She's hopelessly ordinary. It worked beautifully for Morton in August: Osage County but not for this.

An actress I find similar to Morton but who does possess the larger than life qualities which are required to play a credible Martha is Elizabeth Marvel.

by Anonymousreply 36010/14/2012

R360, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Elizabeth Marvel! Have seen her in several L&O's: great.

Knowledgeable NYC guys: could someone PLEASE tell my why Brantley (or whomever)'s review of Virginia Woolf isn't up yet? Is it because of play opening on a Saturday? Please help a poor theater queen, marooned in the wilds of NY State and missing everything...

by Anonymousreply 36110/14/2012

r361 It's Isherwood's review

by Anonymousreply 36210/14/2012

Thank you, R 361!

by Anonymousreply 36310/14/2012

It seems to me that Tracy Letts steamrolled the rehearsals the way he steamrolls through the show. Ultimately the director is responsible for not bringing the necessary control or balance to the proceedings. This Virginia Woolf is ALL ABOUT GEORGE.

I'm shocked that Albee ok'd its coming to NY.

by Anonymousreply 36410/14/2012

R362, and what a big wet kiss of a review it is as well!!!

NOT that it will make any difference - it will still be on tkts going forward.

by Anonymousreply 36510/14/2012

I have to say that this Virginia Woolf cast intrigues me far more than the Kathleen Turner/Bill Irwin pairing. I had no interest in seeing the latter but I will certainly buy (at least discount) tickets to the former.

Part of it is less familiarity with Morton and Letts so I'm feeling it will be less predictable.

by Anonymousreply 36610/14/2012

Saw Kinky Boots in Chicago. It's a real mixed bag. Some of the music is really good and some sounds like generic dance muzak. Billy Porter and (an under-used) Annaleigh Ashford are great. Ashford has a song late in act one that stops the show - she's wonderful. Stark Sands and Celina Carvajal are fine, but no "kick" to their performances. They need to beef-up and clarify the Charlie role for sure.

Hated the finale. Absolutely no imagination. It's a retread of every bad finale from the past 10 years. I was embarrassed for the cast and embarrassed I was watching it.

The cell-phone announcement was cute, but I was worried to was too subtle for Chicago.

The "Bank of America" theater is huge - probably 1,000 more seats than the Hirschfeld.

I like a lot of the show, hope they are able to do some fixes prior to NY.

by Anonymousreply 36710/15/2012

REBECCA ARREST!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 36810/15/2012

Looks lie Virginia Woolf is the first hit of the season.

by Anonymousreply 36910/15/2012

Wow! The Voice is back!

by Anonymousreply 37010/15/2012

Jesus, r370--welcome to last week.

by Anonymousreply 37110/15/2012

[quote]Hotten's fradulent scheme did enormous damage to Broadway

Not really. He actually saved Broadway from having to see the crapfest that is REBECCA, THE MUSICAL.

by Anonymousreply 37210/15/2012

"I call to the witness stand.... Jill Paice."

Can Karen Mason be very far behind?

And what of the scieno of Broadway Barbour?

Will Maryann be seated in the gallery? Or as she calls it, the gulley?

They should write a musical about this... oh wait... they already did.

by Anonymousreply 37310/16/2012

So does the Hotten arrest mean that Ben Sprecher is off the hook?

by Anonymousreply 37410/16/2012

Yes R366, spoken like a true idiot. Kathleen Turner and Bill Irwin give phenomenal performances in a terrific revival directed by Anthony Page...and you're not interested.

Fuck off, ya fuckin' idiot.

by Anonymousreply 37510/16/2012

I saw KINKY over the weekend too. I think the real problem is the source material is soft and not that dramatic, so they have to give it more than it really deserves. Given the box office record of Priscilla and La Cage, I think this will be another soft hit at best. There's a lot to like, but it doesn't feel particularly dramatic or necessary. Ashford is the big surprise. This will launch her.

by Anonymousreply 37610/16/2012

Turner was extraordinary. She should have won the Tony.

Even Cherry said as much.

by Anonymousreply 37710/16/2012

Not even close r374. He has until December to find the money, or he will be on the hook for several million dollars that he will have to pay back to all the investors.

by Anonymousreply 37810/16/2012

There's no way Sprecher has that money. Those investors are screwed.

by Anonymousreply 37910/16/2012

I agree with 379. The money's gone, and no matter what he's saying, Sprecher can't raise another $5 million. People will sue but there's no point.

by Anonymousreply 38010/16/2012

I agree. Turner and Irwin were fantastic in the production.

by Anonymousreply 38110/16/2012

Though it's not funny, the most hilariously tragic thing about the "Rebecca" thing is that the guy did it for the FEES. Shows are getting fee'd to death. There are fewer and fewer moderate hits. It's feast or famine to a greater extreme than ever before.

How has the business has changed, and not necessarily for the better? A lot more of the Broadway producing business used to be a very tight-knit theatre community working more or less on spec: we're-all-in-this together approach.

More of the office work used to be done in house. Now everything is farmed out to specialists and everybody takes a fee right off the top to begin pre-production, and then a weekly fee as the show runs, which gets bumped when the show recoups or even goes over a certain percentage from week to week, if it ever does. It's very hard to make a buck on Broadway unless you're a massive hit.

The two deadly effects of the fee syndrome are that it pushes up the cost of getting a show started, and raises the margin to where a show has to do pretty damn well for months or even years just to get by. Paying a big chunk up front means there's no incentive to make the subsequent product truly excellent. The money has changed hands, and the job just has to be turned in. Ultimately the incentive of all these departments is to do what has to be done to keep that weekly coming in.

On the talent side, can you get directors or actors to come to your apartment and read a script around the coffee table without giving them a Broadway guarantee and points first?

Plenty of Broadway pros agree with this, but why should a working professional take a fee reduction? The Broadway and off-Broadway economic models are in need of adjusting, even repair.

by Anonymousreply 38210/16/2012

First Lysistrata Jones and now Bring It One...it's official, Broadway doesn't want cheerleader musicals.

by Anonymousreply 38310/17/2012

Is Chaplin worth seeing at all?

by Anonymousreply 38410/17/2012

Has anyone bothered to see ANNIE? I hear it is not very good.

by Anonymousreply 38510/17/2012

Will Bring it On return to touring? Frankly I'm surprised it lasted this long -- all the appearances they've done/video trailers make it appear a bit lifeless. In saying that, I enjoyed the occasional song on the recording.

by Anonymousreply 38610/17/2012

Annie is just ok. It's not a great musical by any means, but it's a slick one, with a handful of crowd-pleasing moments. The kids are great but no one is going to be talking about Katie Finnernan. Where Loudon played it slightly demented and inherently lovable, Finneran was just tough and mean. Don't pay full price.

by Anonymousreply 38710/17/2012

Is it James Lapine's fault? He never seemed the right fit for Annie.

He's such a snob, I can't imagine Lapine even has much regard for the show.

by Anonymousreply 38810/17/2012

Anyone want to apply for this stellar position, for the wage of $10/hr?

Company: TTC

Category: Administrative

Start Date: 10/25/2012

Paid: yes

Salary: $10/hr plus lunch

Description:

Six-time Tony and Emmy nominated actor seeks intelligent, motivated, high-energy part time assistant.

Assistant must speak and write grammatically correct fluent English, be highly computer/iPod/iPad/iPhone/internet fluent, and able to type accurately at least 60 wpm. Assistant must have a valid United States driver’s license and be comfortable driving and parking in Manhattan. Assistant will be available to run lines with Actor and run errands for Actor daily and sometimes with the car from first day of work.

During the run of any theatre or film projects, Assistant will prepare actor for each engagement, settle her in her dressing room or apartment, and pack up actor’s belongings at the end of the engagement.

Some light cooking/meal preparation, simple cleaning and organizing, occasional light sewing, steaming/ironing, driving in New York and environs with a valid United States license, type/computer skills, wardrobe prep and maintenance, dealing with correspondence, mail, bills.

Confidentiality agreement signed from first day of work.

Response Method(s):

By Email: TovahAssistant@gmail.com

by Anonymousreply 38910/17/2012

r389, they should at least throw in a closet to live in.

by Anonymousreply 39010/17/2012

I love that they think $10 and hour plus lunch (which you likely have to either cook or fetch yourself) is an enticing incentive to make one want to apply for the job.

by Anonymousreply 39110/17/2012

But R391, think of the honor of working for a Tony AND Emmy nominated actor!

by Anonymousreply 39210/17/2012

Chaplin is STILL RUNNING?!?!?

by Anonymousreply 39310/17/2012

And you bring your own food to the picnics I throw for my darling cast!

by Anonymousreply 39410/17/2012

Soap Dish! the Musical! A reading is happening in late October with Kristin Chenoweth, John Stamos, Jane Krakowski, Cristin Milioti, Anne L. Nathan, Michael Park, Miriam Shor and Daniel Torres.

It's just a reading, but I always thought it could be a good musical.

Kristin would be absolutely brilliant in the Montana Morehead role - I hope they're not having her read for Celeste.

I've always thought Brooke Shields would be a great Celeste if a musical ever happened. And with John Stamos in the Kevin Kline role, it would be awesome to see two ubiquitous Broadway replacements finally open a new musical.

by Anonymousreply 39510/17/2012

If that is to be Tovah Feldshuh's assistant, they are leaving out combat pay.

by Anonymousreply 39610/17/2012

If I were independently wealthy, I would take that job with Tovah in a heartbeat! Most actors with a reputation just need someone to be real with them: stroke their ego, be their friend, do a competent job, put up with tantrums. It's easy money in an interesting environment once you gain a little trust.

by Anonymousreply 39710/17/2012

And so the excuses begin ... dyslexia AND attention-deficit disorder AND she has two kids AND she doesn't make much money ...

by Anonymousreply 39810/18/2012

stroking ego + putting up with tantrums = being real?

I know it's Broadway but some people seriously need to wake up and smell reality.

by Anonymousreply 39910/18/2012

Soap Dish the movie should be remade every 5 years.

I can't imagine anyone other than Cathy Moriarty as Montana Moorehead though.

by Anonymousreply 40010/18/2012

Finneran was great in NOISES OFF and PROMISES, PROMISES but she was a poor Sally Bowles replacement in CABARET.

by Anonymousreply 40110/18/2012

r397 must be a sub.

by Anonymousreply 40210/18/2012

I can't see Krakowski and Chenoweth together in a show with only one clear female lead. Neither would play second fiddle to the other.

by Anonymousreply 40310/18/2012

Right, R403!

by Anonymousreply 40410/18/2012

R398 Excuses, excuses! Lordy mama. I'm surprised the gal can so much as sit upright.

I do not know if I should state this, but I will anyway. Cherry Jones is quite dyslexic and to the best of my knowledge she has never spoken publicly of the great many hours she has to devote to fully processing a script and stage direction. It ain't for the faint of heart and takes bucket-loads of patience, but she does it quietly at least.

by Anonymousreply 40510/18/2012

True, r405, but we also never heard anything about dyslexia (or, gilding the lily, ADD) from Finneran as long as she was acclaimed and winning awards.

by Anonymousreply 40610/18/2012

I also saw Kinky and agree with the previous assessments. Charlie needs to be beefed up, though touching the song in the men's room needs to be either scrapped or re-worked, Ashford is amazing. This will run in NY if only based on the tourists...they will love it. Also as a born and bred Chicagoan, I assure you that we are sophisticated enough to "get" the cell phone bit.

by Anonymousreply 40710/18/2012

When did Tolvah win a Tony?

by Anonymousreply 40810/18/2012

Thought "Soap Dish" sucked, not funny and desperate for laughs, I felt sorry for Ms. Sally Field.

by Anonymousreply 40910/18/2012

R405, it seems every New York Times profile of a Broadway actor these days has to wallow in whatever disabilities, challenges, tragedies, etc. the actor is experiencing or has experienced in his or her personal life: Steve Kazee, Patrick Page, now Katie Finneran. It's all become very predictable and very boring.

by Anonymousreply 41010/18/2012

at the risk of raising the ire of some of the more vehement posters on this subject. I don't think the Turner?Irwin revival of Whose Afraid of Virginia Woolf was very successful.

I was surprised Albee went on every show he could to say how he "couldn't imagine it played better" perhaps his strong financial interest in the production was coloring his opinion.

I thought Turner had moments, but the direction was so off the rhythm of the play and Irwin was buys "playing weak" so there was really no revelation of the play.

I have the OBCR with Hagen and Hill and its pretty amazing and so vivd it almost creates a visual when you listen to it. I knew the stage manager for the original production who told me the best Martha was Hagen followed closely by Elaine Strith.

I haven't seen the new revival but plan to. I don't see anything inherently "wrong" with going against type in casting Amy Morton as Martha in part because as an established clssic, a certain amount of deconstruction might serve the play.

Again, I haven't seen it but I never read George as "weak" to begin with. I think it is a common mistake to play him that way. Looking forward to seeing Tracy Letts

by Anonymousreply 41110/18/2012

[quote]it seems every New York Times profile of a Broadway actor these days has to wallow in whatever disabilities, challenges, tragedies, etc. the actor is experiencing or has experienced in his or her personal life: Steve Kazee, Patrick Page, now Katie Finneran. It's all become very predictable and very boring.

It has been that way for a long time

by Anonymousreply 41210/18/2012

Maggie Grace (Lost, Taken) IS Madge Owens in Roundabout Theatre's PICNIC!

Elizabeth Marvel is Rosemary, the school teacher.

DL fav Sebastian Stan (Once Upon a Time) is Hal.

Mare Winningham is Flo Owens.

and... Miss ELLEN BURSTYN is Helen Potts!

by Anonymousreply 41310/18/2012

Mireille Enos of The Killing was an exceptional Honey.

by Anonymousreply 41410/18/2012

Enos was fantastic. I liked that revival.

by Anonymousreply 41510/18/2012

So is anyone going to have the balls to tell Brian Stokes Mitchell that he pretty much has no career either in NYC or in road concerts because of his thrice named buddy Richard Jay Alexander?

by Anonymousreply 41610/19/2012

What does Richard Fey Alexander have to do with Brian Stokes Mitchell's lack of career?

by Anonymousreply 41710/19/2012

R416- details please

by Anonymousreply 41810/19/2012

True, r410 and r412, but that's because the artists' reps and PR people have gotten smart about seeing that it's the ticket to getting a big feature in the Times -- in Kazee's case, it won him the Tony; in Finneran's case, it's being used strategically as pre-emptive damage control; in Ebersole's case (remember that one?), it redefined her as something more than a hasbeen; in Esparza's case, that story continues to define him to this day (although, perhaps conversely to Kazee, it may have *lost* him the Tony). The challenge now is they're running out of new angles, and Finneran's hogging both dyslexia and ADD doesn't help.

by Anonymousreply 41910/19/2012

Richard Jay became his defacto manager and mouth piece- he was going to produce and direct his shows on the road

by Anonymousreply 42010/19/2012

r419 can you elaborate on what you mean by pre-emptive damage control? Do you mean that because the sympathy card is being played, the critics will be more apt to say positive things?

Don't disagree, just wondering if that is what you meant

by Anonymousreply 42110/19/2012

All Brian Stoke Mitchell needs is a good album - or a show.

For God sakes, if he was really desperate the Weislers would hire him in a nano-second to play Billy Flynn where he could work for a year.

He also can easily do guest spots on any of the NY-based tv shows. Therefore details please r416!!!!

by Anonymousreply 42210/19/2012

Hi, r421 -- what I meant by pre-emptive damage control is that she and her people are pre-emptively reacting to the negative response that seems to be already solidifying around her performance -- this was the whole thrust of the piece, including justifying her choices and positioning Lapine as wanting to dumb it down -- if the performance winds up working and getting well-reviewed in the end, then the publicity is still so much the better.

by Anonymousreply 42310/19/2012

thanks r423, this is r421. I think that is very interesting and probably very true.

It is interesting to me how opinion can be fashioned and manipulated.

Thanks

by Anonymousreply 42410/19/2012

Anyone have any thoughts on the final casting choices for ART's "The Glass Menagerie"

I've heard that there are some people who think it will go to Broadway really, really quickly

by Anonymousreply 42510/19/2012

I agree with R411 about the Turner/Irwin VIRGINIA WOOLF. He was very good, but she ran out of steam as the play progressed. When she had the breakdown at the end she was completely unmoving (even Elizabeth Taylor handled that scene better). In fact, that whole section was rushed as if they were trying to make sure they didn't go past 11pm.

I do agree that Mireille Enos was a terrific Honey, probably the best one I've seen.

I wasn't planning to see this new revival, but will now. Some of the posters here act as if there's only one way to play Martha, which is a rigid, reductive attitude. I was intruiged by the earlier post about Letts' alleged steamrolling - any more to that?

In the Sunday NYT article with quotes from people who saw the original production, Stephen Sondheim quipped that every Martha he's seen (including Hagen) has been monotonous and obvious, while every George has been terrific, so he suspects it's the way the role is written.

Or maybe Martha is too much like his ghastly mother....

by Anonymousreply 42610/19/2012

I heard that BSM was leaning toward a political career. Could that be true?

by Anonymousreply 42710/19/2012

Elizabeth Taylor, rarely a natural actress, was thoroughly riveting because of the brilliant direction of Mike Nichols and obvious input (pardon my pun) by Richard Burton. Stevie Sondheim blows his opinions out of his stinky, rarely wiped ass.

by Anonymousreply 42810/19/2012

Sondheim would have made a great NYC Queen on DL. It's a pity he doesn't post on forums.

by Anonymousreply 42910/19/2012

I don't think there can ever be definitive versions of George and Martha because marriage and gender roles have been in such a drastic state of flux ever since the play was written. Back then it was easier to accept people being stuck in hellish, neurotic marriages because you saw it every day. Contemporary actors have to reach into different places than previous generations did to evoke sympathy and understanding for these twisted characters. Otherwise they're just going to sit there thinking, why didn't they just get divorced? Why didn't they adopt? Why didn't Martha go into academia herself instead of trying to live through George's career? A good production should be persuasive enough that the audience isn't asking those questions, just saying, that's the way these people are and I'll be DAMNED if I'll end up like that.

by Anonymousreply 43010/19/2012

r429, how do you know? Maybe that was him starting all those soap threads.

by Anonymousreply 43110/19/2012

There should be a new thread:

THREADS STEPHEN SONDHEIM MIGHT HAVE STARTED.

I could certainly see him posting the ones about mothers who kill their children.

And he probably posts all the piss and kink threads, too.

by Anonymousreply 43210/19/2012

[quote]He also can easily do guest spots on any of the NY-based tv shows

And yet ... he doesn't. No BSM on The Good Wife, or SVU. or Blue Bloods or Person of Interest or Royal Pains.

by Anonymousreply 43310/19/2012

Sondheim used to post here as "Mrs. Patsy Ramsey, formerly of Boulder, Colorado"

by Anonymousreply 43410/20/2012

Stokes has a new album coming out at the end of this month - "Strictly Broadway"

by Anonymousreply 43510/20/2012

So the loons over on the other boards are raving about Drood's first preview, though they couldn't hear most of what was going on? Did they just enjoy the pretty colors and moving bodies?

by Anonymousreply 43610/20/2012

Everybody and his brother has posted as Mrs. Patsy Ramsey at one time or another. Did Steve S start the craze?

by Anonymousreply 43710/20/2012

Be very careful r436. Even a mention of that place will get you banned from here. Don't do it.

by Anonymousreply 43810/20/2012

Where did the rumours alluding to Sondheim and kink, dungeons, basements, playrooms and piss come from? I've seen those all over the place for years how did it get started? Did one of you trick with him in the 70's or something?

by Anonymousreply 43910/20/2012

[quote] He was very good, but she ran out of steam as the play progressed. When she had the breakdown at the end she was completely unmoving

I agree, and I saw the production in London.

by Anonymousreply 44010/20/2012

Mireille Enos originally played Honey in the 1996 Almeida production with Diana Rigg, David Suchet and Lloyd Owen in London. She was terrific.

She didn't play Honey in the West End production of the Turner/Irwin revival, which I saw three times and every time Turner and Irwin were terrific. I have a friend who saw it during the run and thought Turner was walking through it but I never saw that. I guess I'm lucky. She was phenomenal and the relationship the two of them had on stage was electric.

by Anonymousreply 44110/20/2012

Are you 100pc sure Enos didn't play it in the West End? I recall her name out front in London, and I've never seen her in anything else...

by Anonymousreply 44210/20/2012

Just googled it, Enos joined Turner et al. when Woolf transferred to London.

by Anonymousreply 44310/20/2012

I saw the Turner/Irwin production in London, and Enos was a part of it. I also found the foursome electric, and perhaps the best Honey/George that I had seen.

by Anonymousreply 44410/20/2012

Are we not allowed to mention David Harbour by name?

by Anonymousreply 44510/20/2012

CHITA!!!

by Anonymousreply 44610/20/2012

"Soapdish" was hysterical in large part to Kevin Kline and RDJ. Otherwise, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 44710/20/2012

Any dicks flopping on Broadway this year?

We need a Take me Out revival.

by Anonymousreply 44810/20/2012

Mireille Enos is married to the much older Alan Ruck.

David Harbour has quite a career as "the other guy". He was the married guy who hits on Jake G. in Brokeback Mountain, and the neighbor who screws Kate Winslet in Revolutionarty Road.

...and the Christian fanatic who kills lesbian dance teacher Karen Ziemba on L&O: Criminal Intent.

by Anonymousreply 44910/20/2012

David Harbour is currently in Glengarry Glen Ross, playing the role Ed Whathisname played in the film.

David Harbour is currently in Glengary Glen Ross, playing the role Ed Harris played in the film.

I hear he's a bit of an asshole but he never stops working (theater, film and TV) so he must be very talented.

by Anonymousreply 45010/20/2012

Harbour was the weak link in WAOVW . Played attitudes. He was smackable. Enos was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 45210/20/2012

I'm baffled by David Harbour's inexplicable career. No discernible talent and yet he continues to work. I thought maybe he was some great guy people love working with, but some friends who were on "Coast of Utopia" reported he was just as unpleasant offstage as on. A complete mystery.

by Anonymousreply 45310/20/2012

by Anonymousreply 45410/21/2012

The secret of David Harbour's success?

He's got a great agent.

by Anonymousreply 45510/21/2012

Who is Adam Perry with?? Wish it was me....

by Anonymousreply 45610/21/2012

Yep, Harbour is bland as can be but he is castable. Scott Rudin's put him in a lot of his productions, most recently The Newsroom. He was really poor as a Brit on that doomed ABC series Pan Am. He's a young Ken Howard without the charm. I thought he was very good in WAOVW, though, he was extremely well cast as Nick.

by Anonymousreply 45710/21/2012

r433 is spot on about BSM and his not being in any shows that are shot in NYC... He is simply not liked due to the people around him (RJA) and the casting community doesn't like dealing with him...

and its quite humorous seeing him position an album that is with only piano as being a throwback to the past... The reality is he couldn't get anyone to back the album and could only afford to produce a piano only album

by Anonymousreply 45810/21/2012

[quote]"Soapdish" was hysterical in large part to Kevin Kline and RDJ. Otherwise, not so much.

Horseshit, Sally Field, Whoopi and especially Cathy Moriarty were great. Moriarty should have been nominated.

by Anonymousreply 45910/21/2012

The Droodettes are as insane as the Sondheimites. The sound at Studio 54 is supposedly terrible and every ATC review is "You can't hear a word anyone says but it was FABULOUS!!

by Anonymousreply 46010/21/2012

R460 This one us the best LOL

This is a successful production overall. I suspect that the reviews will be good and the word of mouth quite strong. (I would rate it higher than Anything Goes, for example.)

I say this despite the fact that the first act is not good at all.

Guy goes on to tell people to skip the first act and come in for Act Two.

by Anonymousreply 46110/21/2012

Just back from Drood. There are sound issues but I still loved it. Chita's accent is Cheapside via Canarsie but that's OK, it's CHITA. Small wonder Princess Puffer was voted as the murderer. Jessie Mueller is a riot as Helena and in some ways is more distinctive than the wonderful Jana Schneider, although she doesn't say "circumstances" in the comical way that Schneider did. Jim Norton was alarmingly behind the beat in the opening number but was great from then on. Will Chase, Andy Karl, Stephanie J. Block and Gregg Edelman are terrific. Peter Benson was a standout. The production design is fabulous. The choreography for "Don't Quit While You're Ahead" seemed identical to Graciela Daniele's but the overall staging is excellent. This will get raves, without a doubt. It's a big crowd pleaser and benefits from opening so soon after One Man, Two Guv'nors because a lot of that audience will get a kick out of this one, too.

by Anonymousreply 46210/21/2012

So no news, or backstage stories about the sexy as hell Matthew Saldivar- "Black Stash" from Peter and the Starcatcher?

by Anonymousreply 46310/21/2012

Drood has exactly two good tunes and that's all it has going for it. The rest of it is a bloody bore. There's no "mystery" whatsoever and the gimmick multiple endings contributes nothing to the show. A non-starter.

As for Soapdish as a musical...come on, people. Soaps are completely passe as a cultural phenomenon. They've been cancelled left and right and the one or two extant are holding on by the skin of their teeth. As awful as they are, reality shows have far more currency and grip on the public's imagination than the dinosaur formerly known as soap opera.

by Anonymousreply 46410/22/2012

Dan Stevens is totally miscast in The Heiress. Without the accent and about an extra 10 lbs to his face, he is just not right. He is not much of a cad. Jessica Chastain is also miscast (she's too beautiful to be ugly) so she acts ugly and it works.

Patrick Wilson should have been Morris.

by Anonymousreply 46510/22/2012

r465...are you saying he has gained an extra ten pounds to his face? They should have cast the guy who plays the gay butler if they were looking for Downtown Abbey folk.

by Anonymousreply 46610/22/2012

Old man Patrick Wilson as Morris? He would never do it, and he would be terribly wrong for it if he did. Morris should be young, younger than Catherine. That ain't Gramps Wilson, who hits 40 next year.

He'd only be right for Morris if Jessica Lange, not Chastain, were playing Catherine.

by Anonymousreply 46710/22/2012

Saw DROOD tonight. First time seeing the show, though I was familiar with the cast album.

Really enjoyed the show, but all the fun's in the second act. And my boyfriend left at intermission, so he's a bit confused by my enthusiasm.

The sound was terrible. Those rumors are totally true. Missed a lot of words.

Princess Puffer got very few votes tonight as murderer. Durdles the drunk won that honor tonight, beating Gregg Edelman's Reverend by a scant six votes. (Scores are posted in the lobby as you exit the theater.)

Great fun, this show, but damn, is there a more uncomfortable theater than Studio 54? The orchestra seats are fine, but the front and rear mezzanines are the most uncomfortable seats on Broadway. A misery. What will be needed for Roundabout to correct this issue?

by Anonymousreply 46810/22/2012

Well, I agree younger is better for Morris, but uglier would be better for Catherine, and yet the beautiful Jessica Chastain was cast.

Look at the Roundabout's announcement that Sebastian Stan is the charismatic Hal in the upcoming picnic? From his pictures he looks like like a reject from Glee not William Holden. But he is young.

by Anonymousreply 46910/22/2012

Jessica Chastain is plain and dull, but not equipped in the slightest to play Catherine.

by Anonymousreply 47010/22/2012

Holden was too old for Hal but Stan is too young. The role requires a tinge of desperation unavailable to a 22 year old.

by Anonymousreply 47110/22/2012

I spoke to a couple of people who didn't like Chastain, but did like Stevens. They weren't familiar with the play and liked the fact that it wasn't obvious that Morros was a cad from the beginning.

For those here who have seen this, how is Strathairn as Dr. Sloper?

by Anonymousreply 47210/22/2012

"....and liked the fact that it wasn't obvious Morros (sic) was a cad from the beginning."

Well, duh!

by Anonymousreply 47310/22/2012

Forgot to mention...

The ballet sequence in DROOD is ghastly, an embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 47410/22/2012

Pump Boys and Dinettes--we have now reached the end of Broadway revivals.

by Anonymousreply 47510/22/2012

Not until they bring back "Raggedy Ann And Andy".

by Anonymousreply 47610/22/2012

Or Charlie and Algernon.

by Anonymousreply 47710/22/2012

WILD WITH HAPPY will be the Public's next big thang, in spite of Oskar Eustis.

It's going to be HUGE.

by Anonymousreply 47810/22/2012

Speaking of, what's the word on GIANT?

by Anonymousreply 47910/22/2012

There should be a Constitutional amendment that prohibits the Roundabout Theater to ever produce a musical. Any musical, ever!!

by Anonymousreply 48010/22/2012

Especially anything directed by overpraised hack Scott Ellis.

Stick with "Two Broke Girls", loser.

by Anonymousreply 48110/22/2012

Wild With Happy, like February House, will be the next interesting new musical ruined by The Public's lame and cheap producing habits.

by Anonymousreply 48210/22/2012

"Chita's accent is Cheapside via Canarsie but that's OK,"

Considering that's she's from DC, it's more than OK....

by Anonymousreply 48310/22/2012

Not a Chekhov fan, but I found the new production of "Ivanov" with Ethan Hawke and a terrific cast enthralling (even if it was like a freezer in the theater). The 3 hours flew by... I don't think I've ever said that before about any production of that length.

by Anonymousreply 48410/22/2012

Really, R484? I found it deadly dull - the translation isn't good, no two actors are in the same play, they all think they are the one and only "star", and some of them aren't actors at all (I'm looking at you, Jonathan Marc Sherman, friend of the lead....)

And why does Ethan Hawke always look like he needs a bath?

by Anonymousreply 48510/23/2012

Okay, though I despise the term I do believe it applies here: clearly I am an eldergay with deteriorating mental faculties. Memory is a funny thing.

Yes, Mireille Enos did play Honey in the Turner/Irwin revival of Virginia Woolf, obviously, as noted by other posters. I just dug out the programme. Frankly, that makes this production even more noteworthy as she was the best Honey this side of Melinda Dillon and Sandy Dennis. A pre-Revolutionary Road David Harbour played Nick. It was such a well cast production.

Clare Holman played Honey in the Diana Rigg/David Suchet mix and do now recall how studied and forced her interpretative dancing was (as well as Rigg's appearance in leopard skin tights and Suchet rubbing his hands together like a pantomime villain as he came downstage and vowed to have his revenge on Martha, just before the interval). This was not a great production; there was no sense of the specific American region of the play, little to no sense of the academic environment of the play. Rigg was in no way convincing as Martha - it's not really a play that lends itself to the sensibility of British actors, unlike Albee's A Delicate Balance which tends to be more cerebral.

Apologies for passing bad trivia and temporary loss of mind.

by Anonymousreply 48610/23/2012

R471, Sebastian Stan is 30, so maybe he's trying to use this part as a transition into more "adult" roles. Kyle Chandler played Hal in the last Broadway revival, another Roundabout production about 20 years ago. (Ashley Judd was Madge and Debra Monk was Rosemary). Not sure how old Kyle was at the time, but he seems ideal for the part.

by Anonymousreply 48710/23/2012

Nothing else matters on the Broadway except Edward Watts in "Scandalous"!! Click on the link and scroll down to the photos of him in his teeny tiny panties!!!

by Anonymousreply 48810/23/2012

Ed is one of the nicest guys I know. He was suppose to make his Broadway debut in "Finian's Rainbow" and was hired as Cheyenne's understudy--- two weeks before the closing notice was posted. So this show is now his debut on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 48910/23/2012

R489, thanks. That explains why he mentions Finian's in his bio, but he is not on IBDB. The funny thing is that he is quite the 1940s-50s musical star in the first act of Scandalous when he wears the dark wig. In the second act, with his natural hair color, he just fades away. When the show closes, he really should buy the wig, or do a Carolyne Jones and dye his hair dark from now on. I think he is much more likely to be cast as a brunette than as a blonde.

FYI, the show sucks. To say it is outdoor drama is to insult outdoor drama. Carolee is terrific, however. I can see why she has stuck with this turkey.

by Anonymousreply 49010/23/2012

I don't know why Ed Watts hasn't been on Broadway before this. I've also worked with him and, as said upthread, he's a great guy and has a gorgeous singing voice.

When he lets his own hair grow out a bit, there are abundant auburn curls, and I can assure you, Ed does not fade away on stage.

He is a perfect leading man in the John Raitt mold but I guess Broadway has no need for that type any more. Or they just hire Harry Connick when they do.

And yes, Ed is straight.

by Anonymousreply 49110/23/2012

I did see Ed play Woody in a regional production of FINIAN'S RAINBOW. He was great and his "Old Devil Moon" duet with lovely Kim Huber was swoon worthy.

by Anonymousreply 49210/23/2012

A quick look at Google Images indicates the Mr Watts "auburn locks" are quickly turning grey. And, whatever he has been doing clearly hasn't worked.

by Anonymousreply 49310/23/2012

Ed taking a shower...

by Anonymousreply 49410/23/2012

Angelus Temple looks like a Vegas floor show in those pics. I don't see this show lasting much beyond opening night.

by Anonymousreply 49510/23/2012

R495, But the truth is that the Angelus Temple was a Las Vegas floor show. That was one of the reasons that Aimee was so hated during her time.

by Anonymousreply 49610/23/2012

I'm not getting the love for Ed. He looks very unattractive naked.

by Anonymousreply 49710/23/2012

I saw Ed Watts in two or three readings of an hysterical new musical called "Aesop and Company". It's a smart, clever show, and Ed plays a heart throb type of role in it. I hope it gets produced on Broadway very soon.

by Anonymousreply 49810/23/2012

R496, Angelus Temple looked grand and bloated, but it was full of flowers and frou-frou - not neon lights. I went to a service there about 25 years ago - it was amazing to experience to see all that craziness on such a grand scale.

Scandalous looks pitiful compared to the real thing.

by Anonymousreply 49910/23/2012

SCANDALOUS is like an amalgam of SISTER ACT, LEAP OF FAITH and CHAPLIN. In a word-awful. The songs are relentless and repetitive, the book doesn't exist, and it's horribly directed.

It's a Kathie Lee Gifford vanity production and when it sinks, it will be entirely her fault.

Of course, she'll use her TODAY show podium to blame the stupid critics. But its failure will rest on her alcohol soaked shoulders.

by Anonymousreply 50010/24/2012

How much skin does Cheyenne show in THE PERFORMERS?

by Anonymousreply 50110/24/2012

R501 - you've seen the gladiator costume he wears in the poster? That's as much as you'll see (or not) onstage.

Henry Winkler, however, goes the full monty...

by Anonymousreply 50210/24/2012

Thanks R502, for the info, for better or for worse.

by Anonymousreply 50310/24/2012

Are you serious, r502? Henry shows his wee winkler in the show?

by Anonymousreply 50410/24/2012

How was Jenni Barber? Adore her!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 50510/24/2012

SCANDALOUS has already resorted to a cheap commercial interviewing audience members outside the theatre about how much they LOVED the show (this usually happens when the show is on life support)

and the "bucket lady" is trying to compete with the famous woman from the Grand Hotel commercial

by Anonymousreply 50610/24/2012

Re: Scandalous

I hate to admit it, but there were a couple of people around me who said that KLG had a hit on her hands.

On the other hand the people next to us and just across the aisle from KLG, walked out.

The show is utter shit, but Carolee is terrific. If Chaplin can run, this dreck will probably find an audience as well.

by Anonymousreply 50710/24/2012

That Ed guy looks gawjus in the BWW promo shots.

by Anonymousreply 50810/24/2012

Cheyenne does pushups wearing only very brief briefs -- now THAT'S Entertainment!

by Anonymousreply 50910/24/2012

re: SCANDALOUS - Does Candy Buckley have a number? She always brightens up a crappy show.

by Anonymousreply 51010/24/2012

I want to know if there enough skin in THE PERFORMERS before I buy a ticket

And it's Raul's birthday today . Who is he celebrating with?

by Anonymousreply 51110/24/2012

She has more than one, but she really seems miscast. She seems oddly cartoonish. The evening I saw the play her voice was shot. She does have some of the worst lines ever.

Candy (as Aimee's mother): I am going to have you COMMITTED.

Aimee: You wouldn't do that to me!

Candy: I told you, there is NOTHING I wouldn't do for you. I AM YOUR MOTHER!!!!

by Anonymousreply 51210/24/2012

Poor Candy- finally gets to create a role on Broadway and she gets KLG instead of ALW.

by Anonymousreply 51310/24/2012

Really enjoyed Falling at the Minetta Lane. Deeply sad and engrossing play. Best thing I've seen in a while.

by Anonymousreply 51410/24/2012

R502, besides the nudity (or lack of nudity)how was The Performers?

by Anonymousreply 51510/24/2012

Candy Buckley is doing Bette Davis as Aimee's mother in the Faye Dunaway movie version

And Jessica Chastain is doing Jennifer Jason Leigh in the movie of "the Heiress" when it was re-titled "Washington Square"

Judith Ivey is doing Aunt Pittypat from "Gone With the Wind"

by Anonymousreply 51610/25/2012

Went to the Saturday night preview of Glengarry Glen Ross. Pacino was not as bad as I thought he would be. He has the Pacino hair, but he kept the shouting to a minimum.

Cannavale struggled a bit with his monologue at first, but settled into it nicely. In the second act, his entrance garnered some titters from the audience which I chalked up to the odd sunglasses he was wearing. They looked like something a woman would wear; an odd and distracting choice.

McGinley and Schiff played well off of each other and were perhaps the strongest performances. McGinley has great dark comic timing and Schiff plays broken-down very well.

The weakest performance was Harbour. I'm not a big Pacino fan, but I actually felt sorry for him in the scenes he had with Harbour. He was so stilted that it sounded like he was reading his lines most of the time. In the first scene, you got the sense that Pacino was really trying to dig into the moment and Harbour was just giving him nothing in return.

by Anonymousreply 51710/25/2012

Why does Betty Lynn Buckley call her facebook followers..."dopeys"...I went to Princeton!!!!

by Anonymousreply 51810/25/2012

Finally caught up with Book of Moron, What a piece of shite. Sure it has funny moments, but in the most juvenile regard. Yes, it's what I expect from the South Park guys, but really, at $155 a ticket in the orchestra, I wanted those missionaries to blow me as I watched the show.

PS, the two leads are horrible. Andrew and Josh must have fabulous to get Tony noms from those roles.

by Anonymousreply 51910/25/2012

Saw ANNIE last night. It was good, but strangely lacks the amount magic you hope for when you go to see ANNIE. There's a lot to like, and it will run, but its not particularly notable.

by Anonymousreply 52010/25/2012

[quote] Candy Buckley is doing Bette Davis as Aimee's mother in the Faye Dunaway movie version

What kind of homosexual are you?!

by Anonymousreply 52110/25/2012

Saw Glengarry and think it is well directed, the actors haven't quite settled in but agree that Schiff and McGinley were the most on target.

Annie has some solid individual contributions but nothing that lifts it to the level it aspires to. I think the little girl is good, it just doesn't stay with you. I think direction could be tighter.

Fallen at Minetta was interesting in seening Julia Murney in a non musical role but the play has some corny stuff in it, still compelling in a way. Good to throw light on how hard some people's lives are who struggle with high needs kids.

My fave thing I saw recently was TACTs production of Brian Friel's "Lovers" Really beautifully done. Partner thought the first act was too slow but we loved the sedond, excellent actors. Think it closed already We saw the Lost in Yonkers last year and I liked this better.

r519, haven't seen Mormon since the original cast but Andrew and Josh were hilarious and really did make it work.

Performers this week but skeptical. We will see I love to be surprised

by Anonymousreply 52210/25/2012

R520- Don't care so much for that little girl. What I want to know is how was Brynn O'Malley?

by Anonymousreply 52310/25/2012

So what's on Scott Rudin's plate this season?

A revival of Lonergin's "This is Our Youth" directed by Philip Seymore Hoffman.

A one woman show based on life of Sue Mengers written by John Logan. Perhaps starring Bette Midler.

by Anonymousreply 52410/25/2012

Maybe John Logan should play Sue Mengers.

by Anonymousreply 52510/25/2012

Dear God, GHOST is going on tour? Really? Why not Leap of Faith?

by Anonymousreply 52610/25/2012

[quote] What kind of homosexual are you?!

One with taste.

by Anonymousreply 52710/25/2012

Is there really going to be a play about Sue Mengers? I would love that.

by Anonymousreply 52810/25/2012

Isn't Candy Buckley actually younger - or about the same age - as Carolee Carmello? At least Judy Kaye and Flo Lacey had about ten years on Carmello.

by Anonymousreply 52910/25/2012

R526- Audiences will eat it up flop that it is... yes, I live in flyover country. We get all the flops.. Catch Me If You Can which is non union., Sister Act.. we'll probably get Priscilla too.. all crap.

by Anonymousreply 53010/25/2012

Bette won't do 8 shows a week anymore - not after her stint in Vegas.

If the Sue Mengers project goes forward, look for someone like Stockard Channing to take the part.

(It's not like she's working anywhere else....)

by Anonymousreply 53110/25/2012

Sally Struthers for Sue Mengers! She can wear her own stretchpants!

by Anonymousreply 53210/25/2012

I saw Candy Buckley in "Whistle Down the Wind" in DC, before it folded. Honey, that show! The motorcycles! The snake handling number!

On the other hand I also saw her in several excellent productions at the ART in Cambridge, immediately following the Cherry Jones Golden Era.

And now she gets to do..."Scandalous!!"

by Anonymousreply 53310/25/2012

R531, I'm not sure Bette needs to do 8 a week anymore.

by Anonymousreply 53410/26/2012

R517, thahnk you for posting about Glengarry. How was Jeremy Shamos, as Lingk? (he's one of my favorite actors; SO good in Clybourne Park.) TIA.

by Anonymousreply 53510/26/2012

Jeremy Shamos - UGGGGGGGhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 53610/26/2012

Wow. How desperate is Reidel? Writing about a play that hasn't even been written yet, and play about a woman nobody other than 50 people care about? So much good gossip on the street right now, and he's resorting to more CAA plants.

by Anonymousreply 53710/26/2012

Any one else heard rumblings from Chicago? Talked to a friend involved in KINKY and heard that everyone agrees the show needs major work but they can't agree on what that work is...

by Anonymousreply 53810/26/2012

I think their bigger problem is that even after the encouraging reviews, the sales are so-so.

by Anonymousreply 53910/26/2012

Not to defend Riedel but the point of his story is the possible Broadway appearance of Bette Midler, which is big news. It isn't really ultimately about Sue Mengers or John Logan.

Then again, I'm sure many of you will say Bette on Broadway is no big deal.

by Anonymousreply 54010/26/2012

Earlier this year, it was announced that Neil Meron and Craig Zadan were producing a live TV version of THE SOUND OF MUSIC using the original stage book and songs. What happened with that?

by Anonymousreply 54110/26/2012

Bette should do a Hello Dolly revival. But whether she does the Menges play or some other--doubtful. I agree she wouldn't want the 8 performance a week grind.

by Anonymousreply 54210/26/2012

What else has Bette got to do?

A Broadway hit, whether a new play or a musical revival, could reawaken her dormant career.

by Anonymousreply 54310/26/2012

Is The Nutty Professor musical officially dead in Tampa?

by Anonymousreply 54410/26/2012

[quote]Earlier this year, it was announced that Neil Meron and Craig Zadan were producing a live TV version of THE SOUND OF MUSIC using the original stage book and songs.

BETTE could play the Alps!

by Anonymousreply 54510/26/2012

"What is it you cuntface?"

by Anonymousreply 54610/27/2012

Bette is pushing 70 - she doesn't need to do 8 shows a week.

She'll do like Pacino did in MERCHANT - 6 shows a week at most. I'm surprised Al is doing 8 shows a week at GLENGARRY, but then his role there is MUCH smaller than Shylock.

by Anonymousreply 54710/27/2012

Re : "Soap Dish" reading:

[quote] In a previous interview with Playbill.com, Harling said, "We will need one of the biggest musical comedy stars to play the central role," and it looks like he found her. Chenoweth (Wicked; Promises, Promises) is cast as "The Sun Also Sets" star Celeste Talbott, with Krakowski ("30 Rock," Grand Hotel) as devious cast member Montana Moorehead.

[quote] The reading also features John Stamos (The Best Man, Nine) as Jeffrey, Tony Award nominee Cristin Milioti (Once) as Lori, Michael Park (How to Succeed, Little Me) as David, Miriam Shor (Hedwig, "GCB") as Rose, Adrienne Warren (Bring It On!) as Ariel, Jim Newman (Hands on a Hardbody, Curtains) as Tex, Anne L. Nathan (Once) as Tawny and Brooks Ashmanskas (Present Laughter; Promises, Promises) as Burton White.

by Anonymousreply 54810/27/2012

The mere fact that Kristi Dawn is considered a major musical comedy star is beyond nauseating...

by Anonymousreply 54910/27/2012

Did Bobby Harling actually write something other than Steel Magnolias?

by Anonymousreply 55010/27/2012

Deal with it, R549, that's what she is. Love Kristi Dawn. In fact the casting for this seems really fine, except for that overglazed ham, Brooks Ashmanskas. Why does that guy work so much?

by Anonymousreply 55110/27/2012

[quote]How was Jeremy Shamos, as Lingk? (he's one of my favorite actors; SO good in Clybourne Park.) TIA.

Hi R535 - Though the part is fairly small, Shamos made a good impression. It's a thankless role in that most of what he does is reaction and what he was reacting to wasn't polished yet (e.g. Cannavale's monologue). He brought the best out of Cannavale and Pacino, however, in the second act. The three of them seemed to be having a great time with making the audience laugh and cringe. That scene really clicked and Shamos made the difference.

by Anonymousreply 55210/27/2012

Bette could do "Dolly" as a film or TV special. It'd give her a chance to redeem herself for that candy-ass Rose.

by Anonymousreply 55310/27/2012

Our Miss Brooks Ass-man-kiss played a judge who everyone thought was gay on The Good Wife last week (he kept talking about his wife, and Alicia and Diane would roll their eyes.)

by Anonymousreply 55410/27/2012

Is Grevyin real???!! :)

by Anonymousreply 55510/27/2012

I once attempted suicide after seeing a Brian Stokes Mitchell concert.

by Anonymousreply 55610/27/2012

Bette would out-cunt virtually every cunt on Broadway. Even me.

by Anonymousreply 55710/27/2012

Bette was said to be very warm, very giving to the PRISCILLA company while it ran.

So I wonder if maybe she's mellowed in her golden years....

by Anonymousreply 55810/28/2012

The Weisslers cancelled a performance? It must be the end of the world!! run! run!

by Anonymousreply 55910/28/2012

Boadway cancelled for the storm

Remember also, since everything will be shut down. how will the cast and crew get home fromt he theatre. the danger is in the winds and rain and all.

Maryann

by Anonymousreply 56010/28/2012

Performances might not commence until Wednesday. Hope this finishes off Chaplin once and for all.

by Anonymousreply 56110/28/2012

ROTFLMAO R561, you are fierce!

by Anonymousreply 56210/28/2012

LOL R561! What R562 said.

by Anonymousreply 56310/28/2012

How's GIANT?

by Anonymousreply 56410/28/2012

r548 John Stamos as Jeffrey should be considered a crime. They have to get Kevin Kline....they just..have..to.

by Anonymousreply 56510/28/2012

Who did Cristin Milioti blow to get this part?

by Anonymousreply 56610/28/2012

What is the likelihood that Bare will make it past previews?. Just got the postcard this week. I've never heard the recording that was done a few years ago with DL favorite Matt Doyle. Is it any good? Who's sleeping with whom in the cast?

by Anonymousreply 56710/29/2012

Jason Hite in Bare is cute, although not as cute as he thinks he is, He's a real user.

by Anonymousreply 56810/29/2012

Saw the Soapdish reading. It was average/bad. Great cast, although you could tell they were all embarassed by the material. Bad producing. Wasn't ready for the reading.

by Anonymousreply 56910/29/2012

Broadway is silent this week..it's sad. No Chita no Matthew. Its dead ou+ here.

mar

by Anonymousreply 57010/29/2012

Is Matthew out all week??

by Anonymousreply 57110/29/2012

Thank you, R552! Love me some Jeremy SHamos! Keep safe during the storm.

by Anonymousreply 57210/29/2012

What the fuck point is there for doing SOAPDISH at all? Daytime dramas are dropping like flies. Lame-dish.

by Anonymousreply 57310/29/2012

Viewed today, the film of Soapdish is about as funny as the film of Nine to Five....and you all know how well that worked out.

by Anonymousreply 57410/29/2012

Is no one able to view a period piece, in an era when things were different than they are today? Well, let's close Phantom immediately. The Paris Opera doesn't use that house anymore.

by Anonymousreply 57510/29/2012

Wow...Kathie Lee must be freaking out. That show was hemorraging money already...

by Anonymousreply 57610/29/2012

Actual Maryann Lopinto Facebook post:

"No Broadway tomorrow, all Broadway and Off Broadway are cancelled for Tuesday also. I am never going to get to see CYRANO!!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 57710/29/2012

That's a specious comparison. The Leroux source material is strong; Soapdish, in addition to being not relevant today, is a shite sundae...

by Anonymousreply 57810/29/2012

This the most thrilling thing I've ever seen. It's Barbra Streisand singing "Make Our Garden Grow" live and then finishing up with the final bars of "Somewhere."

by Anonymousreply 57910/29/2012

r579 That is fantastic. Thank you for posting.

by Anonymousreply 58010/29/2012

the film "Soapdish" was funny because it was absurd. The actors made the film work and talk shows were hot at that time so the material was timely. That cannot be replicated on stage at this time...scrap it now before it loses mega $

by Anonymousreply 58110/29/2012

What are soap operas?

by Anonymousreply 58210/29/2012

Hey, O Beloved OP, I hope you're staying safe if you're in New York. Who else would we get to start the next Theatre Gossip thread if something happened to you??

by Anonymousreply 58310/29/2012

r581 I'll bet you haven't watched Soapdish since 1997.

by Anonymousreply 58410/29/2012

R.579--Thank you for the link. I was at the concert on Friday. That song really was as good as it gets.

by Anonymousreply 58510/29/2012

Morgan James is suffering in the storm!!!!

@morganajames I don't WANNA stay wherever I am, bloomberg! I'm BORED and am tired of all the food I made... And have no wine.

by Anonymousreply 58610/29/2012

While it was enjoyable, R579, it's proof that Barbra's voice is but a shadow of its former beauty.

And Andrea fucking Bocelli? Spare me....

by Anonymousreply 58710/30/2012

I saw Soap Dish a couple months ago and loved it. And why do soaps have to be relevant today? Most musicals are period pieces.

by Anonymousreply 58810/30/2012

My weekly nut will be way off this week.

by Anonymousreply 58910/30/2012

I hope all the theatre queens have banded together, re-enacting "The Grand Canal" from Nine in the flooded streets.

by Anonymousreply 59010/30/2012

So I guess THE HEIRESS opening will be postponed. Did the critics see the show last weekend?

by Anonymousreply 59110/30/2012

Oh R589, I hope your chart was not damaged.

by Anonymousreply 59210/30/2012

Next time they do Hello, Dolly!, they should update it so that Dolly runs a dating website. It won't be relevant otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 59310/30/2012

[quote]scrap it now before it loses mega $

It ain't your mega $, so shut up.

by Anonymousreply 59410/30/2012

NOstalgia is one thing but the 1990s are not part of it.

by Anonymousreply 59510/30/2012

Even when the movie came out, it was a limited-appeal subject. Seems bizarre to try to capitalize on something that holds very little interest to the average theatergoer.

by Anonymousreply 59610/30/2012

What is R571 talking about? Hello Dolly? Soapdish? Giant? Bare?

by Anonymousreply 59710/30/2012

r582 has a point. Someone who's too young to have experienced the soap opera phenomenon could get something like "Tootsie" because soap operas aren't the point, it's Michael learning to understand what women are really all about.

by Anonymousreply 59810/30/2012

I'm OK

by Anonymousreply 59910/30/2012

To close this thread, I thought I should tell you all I am a little water-logged but fine.

My favorite green dress got ruined.

by Anonymousreply 60010/30/2012
Need more help? Click Here.