Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The biggest assholes in entertainment

Berkeley linguist Geoffrey Nunberg came out this year with the definitive study of the asshole as a derogatory term, THE ASCENT OF THE A-WORD: ASSHOLISM, THE FIRST SIXTY YEARS. This is one of his central insights:

"“Obtuseness is the true measure of the asshole. We calibrate how much of a prick or bastard or fucker someone is by the amount of harm he’s willing to inflict. But we reckon the degree of someone’s assholeness not by the actual hurtfulness of his behavior but by the breadth of his self-delusion, the discrepancy between his perceptions and the reality before his eyes, the energy of his denials and rationalizations.”

[italic]Based on this definition,[/italic] who would you say are the biggest assholes in entertaiment past or present? Nunberg thinks Donald Trump basically defines the term, but he also lists Charlie Sheen, Ann Coulter, and Simon Cowell as classic contemporary assholes in the field of contemporary entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 4802/02/2013

If it's based on obtuseness and self-delusion (with a strong element of meanness thrown into the mix), then the biggest ones I can think of would be, besides the ones Nunberg mentions:

Russell Crowe

Gwyneth Paltrow

Spike Lee

Kevin Spacey

Jeremy Renner

Kanye West

Harvey Weinstein

by Anonymousreply 109/24/2012

Second Kanye West

by Anonymousreply 209/25/2012

Pussy Galore

by Anonymousreply 309/25/2012

Posh (I never smile) Spice/Becks.

by Anonymousreply 409/25/2012

Jack Warner and Harry Cohn.

by Anonymousreply 509/25/2012

Chevy Chase

by Anonymousreply 609/25/2012

I love Nunberg. I have Commentaries on Language and Culture, a collection of his NPR commentary across he years. Very funny and observant.

by Anonymousreply 709/25/2012

Mel Gibson

by Anonymousreply 809/25/2012

Nikki Finke

Maks on DWTS

Michael Lucas

Paris Hilton

by Anonymousreply 909/25/2012

Justin Beiber redefined the term "asshole" for an entirely new generation.

by Anonymousreply 1009/25/2012

Michael Bay owns this thread.

He has a huge dick, though.

by Anonymousreply 1109/25/2012

That he's never going to stick into you, r11, so what do you care?

by Anonymousreply 1209/25/2012

Michael Bay. I've heard nothing but bad things about him.

Trump...a given.

In the past, Scott Rudin and Joel Silver. Did they change their ways?

Something tells me there is something rather weird about George Lucas.

by Anonymousreply 1309/25/2012

r9, I think Carrie Inaba's a bigger asshole that Maks. Fly Girl needs to get over herself.

by Anonymousreply 1409/25/2012

Mandy Patinkin and John Lithgow.

by Anonymousreply 1509/25/2012

Christian Bale

Spike Lee

Jennifer Lopez

Bill Cosby

by Anonymousreply 1609/25/2012

[quote]Something tells me there is something rather weird about George Lucas.

Well, he told me that there is no underwear in space.

by Anonymousreply 1709/25/2012

Why is John Lithgow an asshole?

by Anonymousreply 1809/25/2012

r12, are you new here?

Hotness and/or horse cock excuses a multitude of sins.

This is the guy who got his laptop stolen by two local hookers in New Mexico.

He apparently is so addle-headed from coke he has to have people on set who follow him around and pick up after him.

Assoholicness aside, I'm hoping for dick pics.

by Anonymousreply 1909/25/2012

Are you kidding, R20? He seems like a seething asshole in every interview he gives. Full of hatred.

by Anonymousreply 2109/25/2012

"Assholism" always reminds me of Divine.

by Anonymousreply 2209/25/2012

r20, he's a notorious asshole.

The Jewison debacle really turned me off him. He uses racism (real or imagined) to stroke his own ego and garner publicity.

Then, when his films flop, it's always someone else's fault.

If you make movies, you never, ever get exactly what you wanted. It's the nature of the business; there's too much money and there are too many variables.

by Anonymousreply 2309/25/2012

What happened, R23?

by Anonymousreply 2409/25/2012

Read the definition at the OP once again, r20. Carefully.

by Anonymousreply 2509/25/2012

After the 1990 release of Mo' Better Blues, [Spike] Lee was accused of antisemitism by the Anti-Defamation League and several film critics. They criticized the characters of the club owners Josh and Moe Flatbush, described as "Shylocks". Lee denied the charge, explaining that he wrote those characters in order to depict how black artists struggled against exploitation. Lee said that Lew Wasserman, Sidney Sheinberg or Tom Pollock, the Jewish heads of MCA and Universal Studios, were unlikely to allow antisemitic content in a film they produced. He said he could not make an anti-Semitic film because Jews run Hollywood, and "that's a fact."

In June 2003 Lee sought an injunction against Spike TV to prevent them from using his nickname.Lee claimed that because of his fame, viewers would think he was associated with the new channel.

In March 2012, after the shooting of Trayvon Martin, Spike Lee was one of many people who used Twitter to circulate a message which claimed to give the home address of the shooter. The address turned out to be incorrect, causing the occupants to leave home and stay at a hotel.

by Anonymousreply 2609/25/2012

Scott Rudin.

Hands, feet, toes, fingers, down one NASTY piece of work.

by Anonymousreply 2709/25/2012

by Anonymousreply 2809/28/2012

He's so successful but so mean, I'm kind of surprised that someone hasn't killed the motherfucker. I thought maybe he had gotten a little nicer with age?

by Anonymousreply 2909/28/2012

I've actually heard nice things about John Lithgow, so that one surprises me.

by Anonymousreply 3009/28/2012

Yep. Scott Rudin's assholiness transcends disciplines and started when he was a teenage casting director.

by Anonymousreply 3109/28/2012

Madonna, biggest a-hole in the world

by Anonymousreply 3209/28/2012

Well, I can speak from experience about Scott Rudin. I worked for him in the mid-90s. Yes, it is ALL true. He took it a *little* easy on me in the beginning because I have a pretty comprehensive knowledge of playwrights and musicals and he, being a fat angry theater queen, thought that that was somewhat impressive - given, as he said, the "shit for brains that work for me who don't know anything."

But after two weeks, it was all over. He threw shit at me just like the rest of them. And would call me at odd hours of the night screaming for a variety of reasons. I lasted 4 months.

But hey-it kicked open tons of doors for me. Soon, I was working for all the rest of the assholes!

Producer Barry Josepheson (second biggest asshole in Hllywd), Nadia Redler at William Morris...

Lauren Bacall - total cunt.

Oh, and another *giant* asshole - John Cusack. Such an apoplectically angry white man you would think he were a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 3309/28/2012

"Spike Lee? He's a big mouth sure, but an asshole? I don't see it."

He revealed on the internet the address of an elderly couple who he THOUGHT were the parents of the infamous George Zimmerman. Turns out the address belonged to some old people who had nothing to do with George Zimmerman. What did he hope to accomplish by publicizing the address of who he thought was George Zimmerman's parents? I tend to believe that he hoped that some harm would come to them; maybe destruction of property, vandalism, maybe having their house set on fire...or maybe even more than that. What he did was reprehensible. Even if the old couple WERE the parents of Zimmerman, what in the world did they have to do with anything that Zimmerman did? It really was a vile thing to do. For that alone, Spike Lee is quite an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 3409/28/2012

Camp Scientology

by Anonymousreply 3509/28/2012

For all the bravado by the South Park boys regarding Hollywood types, they have avoided pimping Scott Rudin. He's ripe for the picking.

by Anonymousreply 3609/29/2012

What happened with Cusack R33?

by Anonymousreply 3709/29/2012

With this definition, Donald Trump has to be named to the Internationall Hall of Fame for Assholes because no one will ever win if he's still around.

by Anonymousreply 3809/29/2012

No, Trump still owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 3909/29/2012

I've worked with John Lithgow and he is one the nicest, most considerate and smartest people in the business. Everyone on the project loved him, he was a great leader. Serious about the work but with a wonderful sense of humor.

Whoever said otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 4009/29/2012

[quote]Producer Barry Josepheson (second biggest asshole in Hllywd)

Was he the model for Swimming with Sharks?

by Anonymousreply 4109/30/2012

John Lithgow is a sweet guy. I have never heard a bad thing about him, quite the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 4210/01/2012

Elton John. Used to love him, but he really is an attention junkie and it is getting VERY tiring.

by Anonymousreply 4310/01/2012

[quote]Why is John Lithgow an asshole?

He isn't, far from it.

Fuck R15

by Anonymousreply 4410/01/2012

r33, I think he's calmed down a bit recently. It was reported he had a mysterious 'health scare' at the time of TSN. At first everyone thought it was petulance over Harvey out-bidding him...oops, I mean out-campaigning him for the Oscars. Some sites did think it was legit. I saw a few pics where he looked quite ill.

People like Bay who are vile to people everywhere (outside the business, too) when they don't get their way, esp. over petty shit, are much worse to me.

Rudin at least produces decent work and doesn't have the taste and entitlement mentality of a teenage momma's boy.

by Anonymousreply 4510/03/2012

John Lithgow?

Nope, not by a long shot.

Polite, friendly, charming, warm, considerate.

Don't confuse the man with the characters he plays...

by Anonymousreply 4610/03/2012

The Emperor from Star Wars lol

by Anonymousreply 4702/02/2013

Everyone at FoxNews, past and present, except Shepard Smith.

by Anonymousreply 4802/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!