Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Claire Danes

I wish she came off as more likable. She's a great actress, and she's probably the only actor I can think of other than Jodie Foster who made he transition from child star to adult star who is actually hugely talented as an actor. (Natalie Wood, Winona Ryder, and Elizabeth Taylor, while all three were genuinely stars and good be genuinely affecting, were/are extremely limited actors.)

But she always comes across as so snooty and cold.

by Anonymousreply 13711/24/2013

I used to hate her with a passion, and then last week I started watching "Homeland." Damn, but she's GOOD.

by Anonymousreply 111/19/2012

She's very moving as an actress. Now as a woman, even if she might not be so nice, i bet her character is not repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 211/19/2012

I've never really cared for her personality, but I suppose that's none of my business.

I've seen the majority of her roles. The first one that touched me was "Beth" in "Little Women," then nothing until "Temple Grandin." I don't think she's always great in Homeland, but she does it better than many others would.

by Anonymousreply 311/19/2012

Why do people insist on liking actors personally? Do you judge the work of other people based upon whether or not you find them likable?

by Anonymousreply 411/19/2012

Do you know her personally, OP? If not, are you judging her on her roles?

by Anonymousreply 611/19/2012

The only things I've seen her in lately are Temple Grandin and Homeland so it's hard to tell if those wild eyes are purely acting.

by Anonymousreply 711/19/2012

When that part of their personality shows through into their work, yes, it bothers me a little. These days, it's hard to avoid seeing or listening to interviews or snippets of a an actor as themselves. In fact, their personalities are kind of shoved down our throats by them or the media. It's the whole celebrity phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 811/19/2012

Fabulous eyector!

by Anonymousreply 911/19/2012

[quote]Why do people insist on liking actors personally? Do you judge the work of other people based upon whether or not you find them likable?

It's not about judging their work. Performers aren't dentists. People develop attachments to them based on their perceptions of their character. I like to think I'm not into that, but I have trouble watching any Mel Gibson or Tom Cruise films.

by Anonymousreply 1011/19/2012

I can't believe what fucking slut Carrie is (11/18/12 episode; perhaps others - I'm new to the show.) Skank.

by Anonymousreply 1111/19/2012

R7, watch her in Little Women. No wild eyes there. The whole character is about a shy introvert that just wants to stay home with her family. She is very warm and attached towards them, but she is too shy to go out and make other friends. It's a difficult character to play - very understated. No big emoting involved.

by Anonymousreply 1211/19/2012

Claire suffered tragedy in her career early on when her drop-dead handsome fiancé, Scott Petersen played by Mark Famiglietti, was murdered off in TERMINATOR 3: Rise of the Machines.

Bless her li'l heart.

She's never recovered, I hear ….

by Anonymousreply 1311/19/2012

She has a very low forehead and a long, long torso.

by Anonymousreply 1511/19/2012

long torso is good!

by Anonymousreply 1611/19/2012

No comment on Danes, but OP, you sure are playing fast and loose with the word "star".

by Anonymousreply 1711/19/2012

Whereas I have a short torso and long legs. Did they use Clare Danes body in some of those CABARET posters?

by Anonymousreply 1811/19/2012

A very low forehead? Huh?

by Anonymousreply 1911/19/2012

That Housewife of... New Jersey (?). Looks like shaved ape.

by Anonymousreply 2011/19/2012

I met her a few months ago in a casual situation and she was very friendly and chatty with somebody she had no reason to be chatty with. I've liked her since My So-Called Life. And her husband is a DREAMBOAT.

by Anonymousreply 2211/19/2012

She's a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 2311/19/2012

She cries the same way in every role. That really bothers me. Different people cry differently.

She is very flat-chested and long-waisted.

by Anonymousreply 2411/19/2012

Didn't like her at all in the Temple Grandin movie. And especially didn't like when the real Temple Grandin showed up at The Golden Globes of Emmy's looking like Anne. B. Davis!

by Anonymousreply 2511/19/2012

She's a good actress but the Billy Crudip mess was too much for me to car for her as a person. She can do her job on the screen and I'm in but that's the end of my giving a shit.

by Anonymousreply 2611/19/2012

"When that part of their personality shows through into their work, yes, it bothers me a little."

When which part of their personality shows through into their work?

Perhaps you don't realize that acting is about using parts of your personality.

by Anonymousreply 2711/19/2012

Child stars turned adult actors who are more talented than that home-wrecking slut Claire Danes:

Christian Bale Joseph Gordon-Levitt Natalie Portman Neil Patrick Harris Ryan Gosling Jason Bateman

That's all I can think of off of the top of my head, but I know there are plenty more.

by Anonymousreply 2811/19/2012

R27, That's exactly what I meant, pompous.

Sometimes people use or overuse off-putting nuances and/or personality traits into their characters.

Which part of their personality? The off-putting part.

by Anonymousreply 2911/19/2012

I can't take her after seeing "Stage Beauty".

by Anonymousreply 3011/20/2012

Feel the same as r14. I loved her in My So-Called Life and now again in Homeland. Her off-screen life isn't important to me, but I will say that it takes two to "home-wreck." I will be glad when that word disappears from the vernacular, unless it's applied equally to both people involved.

by Anonymousreply 3111/20/2012

OP thinks Jodie Foster is NOT a limited actor? Haha.

by Anonymousreply 3211/20/2012

"Why do people insist on liking actors personally? Do you judge the work of other people based upon whether or not you find them likable? "

Well, liking an actor personally can make the difference between liking them in a role, or becoming a fan. Or a hater, for that matter.

Actors have to walk a fine line. To become a star they have to have fans who'll watch something just because they're in it, and to attract fans they need a public persona. But too much of that and mere overexposure will hurt an actor's career, or a scandal can send them to join Mel Gibson in Has Been Land.

by Anonymousreply 3311/20/2012

[quote]Why do people insist on liking actors personally? Do you judge the work of other people based upon whether or not you find them likable?

Actors don't pull their performances out of thin air: they build them out of their personalities.

And besides, I will not see a doctor or a dentist if I find him or her a jerk personally.

by Anonymousreply 3411/20/2012

Claire Danes is not going to work on your fillings.

by Anonymousreply 3511/20/2012

There was an article about her in the Washington Post when she was promoting some movie (Temple Grandin?) anyway, the WP reporter described her in not so many words as huffy, self important and EXTREMELY pissy when asked about her So Called Life Character. She did seem like kind of bitch and it sounds like there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that's the way she is.

Obviously, you don't have to personally like celebrities, but I have a hard time watching an actor/actress that I find weird, off-putting or just obnoxious (like Angelina Jolie!)

by Anonymousreply 3611/20/2012

Bitch owes me 5 bucks.

by Anonymousreply 3711/20/2012

She's good in Homeland.

by Anonymousreply 3812/28/2012

Her boyfriend is a prick. I met him at a dog park on the UWS.

by Anonymousreply 3912/28/2012

Did she dump Billy or did he dump her?

by Anonymousreply 4012/28/2012

A blind item reveal...apparently she is not such a bitch after all:

I wanted to tell you today about an Emmy nominated actress. She has been in the business for what seems like forever, but she is still young. She has done movies and television and is a great actress. Solid B+/A- list. Everyone knows her. Through one of her recent co-stars, she got involved with a group of people who help injured soldiers and their families. She met a group of injured soldiers who had lost limbs and heard they didn't have enough money to always get the bast prosthetic limbs. There was also the matter of transporting families to where the soldiers were hospitalized. Our actress not only has donated $2M to this cause, but also leased 10 apartments that are within walking distance of one of the hospitals where returning soldiers are sent. All of the apartments are fully furnished and each family is allowed to stay up to two months in the apartments free of charge so they can be close to their loved ones. As a new unit becomes vacant in the complex, she rents out another and has encouraged all her co-stars to help out. So far, they have done a tremendous amount and none of them have asked for or sought any publicity for their actions. She might not always look happy, but this actress, has definitely made me smile and now I know, I will never utter a bad word or slight about her again.

Claire Danes

by Anonymousreply 4101/01/2013

She's hot in "Homeland". I quite like her as a blonde.

by Anonymousreply 4201/01/2013

I thought she was pretty good in Stage Beauty. Homeland works because we are invested in Carrie and care about what happens to her. I can't imagine another actress who could do better than Claire in this role. Crudup, on the other hand, is a real shit. My personal dislike for him as a person makes me avoid just about anything he's in. I did see Pillow Man on Broadway. His acting was the least interesting thing in the play. What a ham. And he was sharing a stage with Jeff Goldblum!

by Anonymousreply 4301/01/2013

I think she's perceived as snooty because of the sound of her surname, as in "Claire deigns to grace us with her performance."

by Anonymousreply 4501/01/2013

I find it hard to believe that Claire Danes would have $2M to donate to charity.

Even Bullock only donated $1M and that was for Katrina.

by Anonymousreply 4601/01/2013

She has worked consistently since 1990, R46. Why would you think she has no money?

I've never paid much attention to her off-screen life, but I've enjoyed what I've seen of her in movies and on TV. I think she's excellent in Homeland.

by Anonymousreply 4701/01/2013

R44 WTF are you babbling about?

by Anonymousreply 4801/01/2013

Yes, I remember when Danes was Tricia Nixon's bridesmaid. APPALLING.

by Anonymousreply 4901/01/2013

Never was especially a fan, but she is seriously good in "Homeland."

by Anonymousreply 5001/01/2013

Okay, R51. I'm sure you know more about her money than the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 5201/01/2013

She's won two Emmys in the past few years. She stars in the reigning Emmy-winning Best Drama. Her husband makes movies. They're not hurting for $$$. (And it's probably tax-deductible.)

by Anonymousreply 5301/01/2013

And they don't seem to live large or indulge in drugs or serial divorces, so drains on their income aren't obvious.

by Anonymousreply 5401/01/2013

Well, excuse me, R52. What do you think she was paid for Stage Beauty - a film funded by The UK National Lottery Fund? Or for the few days she worked on The Hours? FYI: When you see an actor like Claire Danes in Terminator 3, it's because she's affordable. She's definitely a force in television drama so she'll continue to make money there but Temple Grandin was a one-off and MSCL was only on for 2 seasons - it wasn't exactly Roseanne or Friends in syndication. What, do you think she was paid $1M for Brokedown Palace? I doubt it.

Her net worth is estimated to be $20M but probably inflated based on future earnings from Homeland (which, at $110,000 an episode she's only just cleared about $2.8M for the first two seasons - and it's not like anyone is thinking it's going to go on for, say, 7 seasons. She doesn't even get all of that). I'm sure she has some money but not enough to throw around like that. She'd be far more likely to lend her celebrity to bring awareness to a cause than spend $2M of her own.

Comparatively, Sandra Bullock's net worth is estimated to be around $125M.

by Anonymousreply 5501/01/2013

Or maybe she's a trustfundarian.

by Anonymousreply 5601/01/2013

Or maybe she knows how to handle and invest her money.

I'm really worried about her after reading R55. I hope she doesn't end up being homeless.

by Anonymousreply 5701/01/2013

Yeah R54, THEY'RE ACTORS. They're not ALWAYS going to work much less make money. Lifestyles cost money to support. Being an actor means you have constant expenses. Hugh Dancy probably has less money than his wife.

I'm not saying these people are broke but I'm not sure why you think they have the money to be selfless philanthropists.

by Anonymousreply 5801/01/2013

Everyone seems to be overlooking the money she rakes in from pimping out Damian Lewis for those World's Smallest Mouth blowjobs he gives.

by Anonymousreply 5901/01/2013

R44, I don't think Danes did any performance for decency in 1969.

She wasn't BORN until 1979.

by Anonymousreply 6001/01/2013

Love her in Homeland.

She looks good as a blonde.

by Anonymousreply 6101/01/2013

Anne Hathaway's impersonation

by Anonymousreply 6201/01/2013

Just another reason to hate Anne Hathaway. She's got a lot of nerve parodying other actresses. Can't wait for all the Les Mis parodies.

by Anonymousreply 6301/02/2013

Actually, Anne's parodies make me like her more.

by Anonymousreply 6401/03/2013

Ann did a great job with her parody of Carrie. One of the funniest skits on SNL in a long time. I also loved Hader's Saul. And the actress who played Dana managed to sum up her character, played over two seasons, in that one scene.

by Anonymousreply 6501/03/2013

Morgan Saylor does a good job playing Dana.

by Anonymousreply 6601/03/2013

[quote] I also loved Hader's Saul.

He was perfect. I love Hader.

by Anonymousreply 6701/03/2013

There's talk about Danes and Lewis not getting along.

by Anonymousreply 6807/12/2013

This bitch is not a good actress. The only interesting thing about her is the Billy Crudup story, they probably both unfairly got heat for that.

by Anonymousreply 6907/12/2013

I give her marriage about 2 more years max. He's way too hot for her.

by Anonymousreply 7007/12/2013

R69 - Have you seen Homeland? She is good.

by Anonymousreply 7107/12/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 7207/12/2013

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association takes bribes. Your naïveté is almost adorable as your unnecessary rage.

by Anonymousreply 7307/12/2013

R69, how did Danes and Crudup unfairly take heat? They were caught rolling around in Central Park when his fiancée was 7 months pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 7407/12/2013

British press reporting hostilities between Danes and Lewis. They say Danes has been a bit of a diva on set since having her baby, wants to work shorter days and weeks.

by Anonymousreply 7507/20/2013

Of course they are not getting along, he is a traitor and she cares about our country!

by Anonymousreply 7607/20/2013

I think Danes is a really good actress. Superb in Temple-forgot-last-name HBO movie. Thought she was going to wander into Rosie's Riding the Bus with my Sister territory but she didn't.

However, she always seems chilly.

by Anonymousreply 7707/20/2013

[quote]on co-star Kate Beckinsale and hoping to become friends]'That was wrong. We didn't. She's complicated. She's prickly.'

I worked at a production company who produced a couple of her films and heard from a number of people that Beckinsale is a raging cunt.

by Anonymousreply 7807/20/2013

They're both cunts, that's why they couldn't be friends.

by Anonymousreply 7907/20/2013

R24 I always notice that about her, and then wonder if those Hugh Dancy rumors (gay rumors) are true.

by Anonymousreply 8007/20/2013

She needs a nosejob.

by Anonymousreply 8107/20/2013

She was dreadful in Stardust

by Anonymousreply 8207/20/2013

From those pics, looks like she's kept much of her baby weight.

by Anonymousreply 8307/20/2013

Hugh Dancy has gay rumors? Where's [i]his[/i] thread?

by Anonymousreply 8407/20/2013

Fuck. do you italicize?

by Anonymousreply 8507/20/2013

Is she Jewish or German, I can't remember which one?

by Anonymousreply 8607/21/2013

I like this dress on Claire.

by Anonymousreply 8709/22/2013

Just capitalise (HIS thread). It's easier.

by Anonymousreply 8809/22/2013

Getting fucked by Billy Crudup for any length of time can do that.

Ask Mary-Louise Parker.

by Anonymousreply 8909/22/2013

I've seen so few of her films and shows, the most time I see her are at these damn award shows.

by Anonymousreply 9009/23/2013

I find her terribly overrated and hard to look at.

by Anonymousreply 9109/23/2013

She's not very photogenic, but she has a presence about her that makes her hot.

by Anonymousreply 9209/23/2013

Ugly face, ugly body.

by Anonymousreply 9309/23/2013

Billy Crudup is a first-class asshole. Just ask Laurel Holloman, Mary Louise Parker, or Claire.

by Anonymousreply 9409/23/2013

But he was fantastic in Stage beauty. Same for Claire.

by Anonymousreply 9509/23/2013

I find her unpleasant to look at. So after seeing one film she was in I avoid her films.

by Anonymousreply 9609/23/2013

I've always loved AnnE parodying Clair on SNL.

by Anonymousreply 9709/23/2013

She had reached a 9.5 on the Gwyneth Cuntitude Scale, but she's dialed things back these past few years. Doesn't she have a kid now? That could explain it.

by Anonymousreply 9809/23/2013

Still coasting off My So Called Life 20 years later.

by Anonymousreply 9909/23/2013

I liked her in 'My So Called Life' too. Her appeal hasn't lasted for me either.

I enjoyed the first season of Homeland, but she murdered the second season with her extreme over-acting. Watching a 3rd season sounds painful, quite frankly. She goes full-retard too often.

She has all the hysteria and self-righteousness of Sookie Stackhouse nailed, and a magical gash to justify it too. These kind of female characters just piss me off.

by Anonymousreply 10009/23/2013

She recently had a child, which explains the absence of boobs.

by Anonymousreply 10109/23/2013

I think she's way over the top in Homeland.

by Anonymousreply 10209/23/2013

Is that Claire Danes?

by Anonymousreply 10309/23/2013

they look good in that ad, R103

by Anonymousreply 10409/23/2013

R104, when that ad first appeared, there was a long thread on DL about it. About every 10th post or so (this was before Primetime was instituted i.e., when threads moved very quickly) someone would post, verbatim, "Is that Claire Danes?" apparently not reading the other posts asking the same question. As the thread progressed, others jumped on the bandwagon to mock the earlier posters either asking the same question or a variation of it such as, "Has anyone noticed that Claire Danes is in the ad?" and, "Who's that girl in the ad?"

by Anonymousreply 10509/23/2013

She seems very cunty and asexual. Also looks like she's 15.

Has no chemistry with male co-stars. The muff love is strong with this one.

by Anonymousreply 10609/23/2013

She reminds me of Robin Wright.

I think there are some actors that love acting, don't mind the jobs - but loathe promoting their projects. Especially if you are an introvert. Red carpet events, interviews, etc. actors like John Hamm and George Clooney and MStrep, are great at it. Others like Jennifer Anniston and every other media-hog, suck the life right out of every event.

by Anonymousreply 10709/23/2013

R34 What about all the actors who were famous for playing evil characters but were said to be incredibly nice in real life?

And when you go and see your doctor or dentist, that is social interaction, not watching a performance.

by Anonymousreply 10809/23/2013

Like a lot of Yanks married to Brits, she thinks that it makes her superior

by Anonymousreply 10909/23/2013

Last night at the Emmy's I noticed for the first time that Claire Danes has an enormous misshaped huge colossal nose that is quite unattractive.

Somehow I never noticed it before.

I think her HUGE nose is becoming more pronounced as she grows older.

And why does she wear gowns which emphasize that she has NO breasts at all? She is flat as a pancake on her chest. Bizarrely so.

But she often is seen emphasizing that she has NO breasts.

And her hair color is so unattractive, brassy, and ugly gold. It has to be dyed or bleached. Why doesn't she get pretty blond streaked colors with gradients of lots of different shades of blonde? Her hair color is putrid.

by Anonymousreply 11009/23/2013

R101, I saw her in a swim suit before she got married and before she become pregnant and she has NO breasts and was completely flat.

I couldn't get over that she allowed herself to be in a photo shoot wearing a swim suit that showed her looking like a

by Anonymousreply 11109/23/2013

Because they're celebrities, which means they parade their personalities on televisions and in magazines so we can't help but judge them.

Now a question for you: Why are you such a snippy cunt?

by Anonymousreply 11209/23/2013

How did she land Billy Crudup and Hugh Darcy?

They must find her life in acting and the arts and her personality interesting.

She certainly lacks sex appeal and physical looks.

by Anonymousreply 11309/23/2013

Huge Darcy and Claire act distant with each other.

Just like Scarlet Johansson and her husband did right before breaking up.

And Hugh looked embarrassed when watching Claire's Emmy acceptance speech last night and when she referred to him, he deliberately covered his face.

by Anonymousreply 11409/23/2013

Ah, the sophisticates of DL! Guess what, boys? Some men are actually straight. They want to be in a relationship with a woman. Hiding his face may have been because he was overwhelmed by emotion, not because he was ashamed to have his wife mention him in her acceptance speech. Good lord.

Oh, and this'll really knock you over. Some straight men actually prefer small-breasted women.

by Anonymousreply 11509/23/2013

R115, Claire Danes does NOT have small breasts.

She has NO breasts at all. Nothing.

I guess you didn't see her at the Emmy's.

And Hugh Darcy did not look 'overcome with emotion' at all when Claire was on stage.

And he and Claire looked stiff and awkward with each other.

Her nose looked hideous at the Emmy's.

by Anonymousreply 11609/23/2013

Isn't the Homeland set rather frosty as Lewis can't stand Danes?

by Anonymousreply 11709/23/2013

I love how all you bitches are going on and on about how much you know about Hugh Darcy when his name is Hugh Dancy.

by Anonymousreply 11809/23/2013

Why does she keep winning? Is she that great in Homeland? Can't they give it to someone else for a change?

by Anonymousreply 11909/23/2013

Who cares whether his name is Dancy or Darcy - the mystery is how is can stand to look at Clair Danes all the time with her enormous honker nose and completely flat chest.

She must have a whoppingly great personality.

by Anonymousreply 12009/24/2013

R119 - It's only the second year,

by Anonymousreply 12109/24/2013

I think she grew up to be very odd-looking, especially after she was positively glowing in her adolescence in "Romeo + Juliet."

Her face has ridges like a Neanderthal,

by Anonymousreply 12209/24/2013

Who cares, she's a good actress.

by Anonymousreply 12309/24/2013

She was cute on My So-Called Life. I think she looked better with darker hair. Still overrated, though.

by Anonymousreply 12409/24/2013

I loved her in My So Called Life, but like OP says, her attitude is unappealing and I haven't bothered to watch her in anything else since then.

by Anonymousreply 12509/24/2013

Highly overrated actor and all the way through ugly as hell.

by Anonymousreply 12609/25/2013

I like how they parodied her Homeland character on The Simpsons season premier last night. Nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 12709/30/2013

R 127 - that's funny.

by Anonymousreply 12810/01/2013

She really gives off a bad vibe and although she's great in Homeland, I don't think it's doing her image much good.

by Anonymousreply 12910/01/2013

I think she's good. At least she didn't cave to pressure by i'm sure her agents etc to get plastic surgery like boob job or nose job.

I admire that about her.

by Anonymousreply 13010/01/2013

Unlikeable. has been good in a few things (on TV only). well, i thought she was good in Shopgirl.

by Anonymousreply 13110/01/2013

She's very shy and quite the introvert. She has a waterfront cottage in Bremerton and escapes there every 6 weeks or so. I've seen her on the ferry a few times.

by Anonymousreply 13210/01/2013

yup. zero tits and the hair color fuckin sucks, strange she's kept it that way for years and years. and she's done a lot of lame movies. belongs on tv

by Anonymousreply 13310/01/2013

Homeland is better than most of the junk in movies these days.

by Anonymousreply 13410/01/2013

She most certainly hasn't had a boob job. THAT is for sure!

by Anonymousreply 13510/01/2013

She really was special in MSCL. You saw glimpses of that in Shopgirl.

by Anonymousreply 13611/24/2013

She plays Carrie well.

by Anonymousreply 13711/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!