Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Vogue's Ryan Murphy profile: Everyone's just jealous

[quote]Ryan Murphy has a funny reputation in Hollywood. Some of it clearly has to do with jealousy over his astonishing rise—about which he can sometimes seem smug—and some of it has to do with the fact that he has to, as he puts it, “pop a kid” every week on the reality show The Glee Project, which he does with near-Machiavellian chilliness. Even he admits he can sometimes come across as “snarky.” Although, as he points out, it has always been thus: “The truth of the matter is that even in high school, I was popular but also equally disliked for being different and having a different point of view. I feel it every day of my life.”

And here I thought people disliked him because he's a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 4102/28/2013

He sounds insufferable. Ordering food for someone else? Asking a question and not waiting for a response? Sounds like the sort of people I purposefully avoid. Nothing worse than someone with emotional damage from childhood and adolescence that has never been dealt with. He sounds like someone with a massive inferiority complex who is now exacting revenge. How about he makes a show with a solid second season?

by Anonymousreply 109/21/2012

He's one of those things that's achieved what younger actresses have dealt with from the 1930s on - anonymous, vague, uninteresting, and rather pissy, with nothing to distinguish him from a slew of other asses trying to make it big. And yuck.

by Anonymousreply 209/21/2012

You're just jealous, bitches

by Anonymousreply 309/21/2012

Ryan Murphy=Kurt on Glee=Whatever the name of Andrew Rannells on New Normal=insufferable+underqualified for his job

by Anonymousreply 409/21/2012

How about he makes a show with a solid second season?

SO very true. I loved "Popular", but the second season went completely off the rails. Does he have ADD or something? It's sort of telling that Julia Roberts has become his current muse.

by Anonymousreply 509/21/2012

Thank you Mr. Ryan. Thanks to you, a whole generation of kids can be themselves and encourage to do stuff like this and the audience loved him.

by Anonymousreply 609/21/2012

Say what you will about Ryan Murphy, and a lot of it is fair, but the contribution he has made to gay visibility in pop culture cannot be overstated.

When you look at Glee following and you see an entire generation obsessing over same-sex couples like Kurt/Blaine or Brittany/Santana you can't overstate the good he has done.

And The New Normal, regardless of whether you like it or not is a historic sitcom for gay visibility.

by Anonymousreply 709/21/2012

He gave us Mario's bare ass on Nip/Tuck. That's good enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 809/21/2012

It bugs me when he brags about his Glee idea, etc. Glee and all but one of its first-season characters were created by Ian Brennan. The show's first 13 episodes were mapped out by Brennan in a movie spec. Unfortunately for Brennan, he couldn't get any traction with his idea.

Enter Ryan Murphy. He did two great things: He turned it into a TV series and added the character of Kurt (now one of the show's most insufferable characters). Murphy also claimed co-creator status for himself and his buddy Brad Falchuk.

Glee's first 13 episodes are great. Again, those were Brennan's ideas. After that, Murphy added all of his shitty ideas, and the show has been on a downward plunge every since.

Such an egoistical glory hound.

That said, I loved American Horror Story.

by Anonymousreply 909/21/2012

"How about he makes a show with a solid second season?"

We'll see if AMERICAN HORROR STORY reverses his losing streak. The fact that the narrative is completely different this time around should help since he clearly isn't talented enough to maintain the quality of series with the same overall characters and narrative over time.

by Anonymousreply 1009/21/2012

It was actually a very revealing profile so the Vogue writer really did a good job on this piece. I think Ryan Murphy can be polarizing just like a Dan Savage , but they both have increased Gay visibility and that's quite an accomplishment.

Sometimes it takes arrogance & a huge ego to get things done. He seems to have a good helping of both.

It's interesting that the characters on his new show that people find the most problematic, both the Grandma & the Rannell's character, are based on real people (his grandmother & himself).

by Anonymousreply 1109/21/2012

R7 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 1209/21/2012

The guy deserves his props and recognition for his success, AND he seems like an asshole.

The two things aren't mutually exclusive.

by Anonymousreply 1309/21/2012

Ugh, I'm a couple of minutes in and he's already ordered food for the person with him! Controlling douchebaggery of the first order. I don't give a fuck, if I'd been the journalist, I'd have told the waiter, no, I'm not going with that order, I'll decide for myself, thank you very much. Such fucking entitled rudeness. I don't see how anyone could find that "disarmingly sweet."

by Anonymousreply 1409/21/2012

R14, Vogue celebrity "profiles" are notoriously nauseating.

by Anonymousreply 1509/21/2012

R11 nailed it. American culture needs a person like Murphy to push it around and push it out and up.

Even if I don't always like the episodic outcomes of some of his shows, I appreciate the overall intention.

I also think he's a little genius in his casting choices. (Except Julie Roberts. I hate that cunt.)

by Anonymousreply 1609/21/2012

The "ordering food" bit was just a mindgame to establish a power dynamic with the reporter, it reminds me of a story I heard of a guy who, when interviewing prospective hires, would knock things off his desk so he could see if the interviewee would pick it up for him.

Murphy sounds like the classic case of the bullied kid who grow up to be the bully.

by Anonymousreply 1709/21/2012

[quote]it reminds me of a story I heard of a guy who, when interviewing prospective hires, would knock things off his desk so he could see if the interviewee would pick it up for him.

So did the interviewer think it was good or bad for the prospective hire to pick the stuff up?

by Anonymousreply 1809/21/2012

[R9] True. And it was actually Jennifer Morrison (House, Once upon a time) who brought the Glee idea to Ian Brennan. If I recall correctly, they were high school sweethearts.

by Anonymousreply 1909/21/2012

I didn't know about the Morrison part, R9, but I read an interview with Brennan and a couple of his friends, one of whom was appearing in theater shows with him on the East Coast. The friends (one of whom later won Design Star) were joking about how obsessed he was with creating this vivid world of an unpopular girl who dreamed of being a theater star. They said he was always writing and rewriting it. That was early in the run, and I think Brennan got silenced after that.

I liked the Glee of the first 13 episodes better. It was moodier and edgier, and the storylines actually made sense.

by Anonymousreply 2009/21/2012

[quote]He goes on, “I want the kid to be bold. And I have a lot of preparation, dealing with these actors. Really? Fuck you. I’m going to do the opposite of what you want. But I realize, you just have to let go or you’re screwed.”

Wtf?

by Anonymousreply 2109/21/2012

[quote]Ryan has wonderful ideas that jell...

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 2209/21/2012

Nikki Finke just smack downed Ryan on her Emmy snarking thread.

[quote]I made it a point never to watch Ryan Murphy’s shows after he became an insufferable egoist. Which means I’ve never seen one of his series. At least he performs a valuable service reviving the careers of former movie actresses.

by Anonymousreply 2309/23/2012

Ryan's gamble didn't pay off... AHS only won two of its 17 noms in the Miniseries category.

by Anonymousreply 2409/24/2012

He is a genius, with a tiny, tiny attention span. His shows have one good season before turning into crap. You're all just jealous.

by Anonymousreply 2509/26/2012

R7: "And The New Normal, regardless of whether you like it or not is a historic sitcom for gay visibility."

What are you, 10 years old?

Will and Grace was the one that was 'historic'. Oh yeah, and it was funny and witty too. (At least for the first 3 years).

by Anonymousreply 2602/20/2013

R7...MARY!

Honestly, reel it in honey.You sound demented.

I would also hasten to point out that he gave the world "Nip/Tuck', one of the most GLBT-phobic shows ever to appear on television.

And "visibility" does not mean pandering to specious gay stereotyping. That was old with "La Cage Au Folles".

by Anonymousreply 2702/20/2013

[quote]When you look at Glee following and you see an entire generation obsessing over same-sex couples like Kurt/Blaine or Brittany/Santana you can't overstate the good he has done.

"An entire generation"???

Oh, honey.

by Anonymousreply 2802/20/2013

I have to agree. THE NEW NORMAL may or may not be back next season.

If not (and I'm betting it's not), it will be as utterly forgotten as PARTNERS or IT'S ALL RELATIVE (remember that one? first sitcom about 2 gay dads!). Not nearly as groundbreaking or substantial as it thinks it is.

by Anonymousreply 2902/20/2013

I agree R30. I watched about 3/4 of the New Normal tonight, and found the characters -- especially the one based on Ryan -- to be annoying, grating, and tiresome. And ZERO chemistry with the guy playing his partner...

But above all, it simply wasn't remotely funny. (I'm assuming it's supposed to be a comedy?)

by Anonymousreply 3002/20/2013

[quote]I made it a point never to watch Ryan Murphy’s shows after he became an insufferable egoist.

Of all people, NIKKI FINKE said that??

OMG... if ever there were a case of the pot calling the kettle black...

by Anonymousreply 3102/20/2013

Agree in full r31. The appropriately named Ms. Finke has to be THE most bitter, angry, despicable and jealous hypocrite in LA.

by Anonymousreply 3202/20/2013

I think he's a charming sociopath. But what do I know?

by Anonymousreply 3302/20/2013

[quote]Paltrow can also attest to the show’s astonishing reach: “Honestly, for a while there it was as if I had never done anything else. At cookbook signings people would say, ‘Can you sign it from Holly Holliday?’ Eleven-year-olds were screaming at me on the street. They had no idea who I was. It was just crazy.”)

Wow I'm such a bitch

by Anonymousreply 3402/20/2013

For R9 and R20, should they ever return, Glee was never good not even the first 13 episodes (with the crazy wife pretending to be pregnant? the shy school teacher getting together with the gym teacher just because?) and it NEVER made sense.

by Anonymousreply 3502/20/2013

I liked watching nip/tuck back then. Not all of it but some parts of it is great

by Anonymousreply 3602/20/2013

He's revolting.

by Anonymousreply 3702/20/2013

He's my hero.

by Anonymousreply 3802/20/2013

R36...so that makes the bigotry acceptable?? Wow, you're practically a one-person gay pride parade!

by Anonymousreply 3902/23/2013

Here's Murphy with cast members from Glee, Nip/Tuck, New Normal and Popular. How many of his male cast members has he banged?

by Anonymousreply 4002/28/2013

Is Ian Brennan one of the gays?

by Anonymousreply 4102/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.