Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

With the French being in the news so much lately the question I ask is are French people the "white trash" of Europe?

The reason I ask is they are the ones who spied on Kate Middleton and took topless pictures of her. All 200 photos of her sunbathing.

These are the same people that have recently told actress Kelly Rutherford that her children, born in America can now live motherless in France with their father who has no ties to France.

These are the same people (paparazzi) that were the cause of Princess Diana's untimely death.

And now they are trying to start a Muslim backlash by creating a lewd cartoon of the Prophet Muhammed whom I know nothing about but I know people are in an uproar over in Libya about the youtube movie that was made.

Why are the French so dishonest and disrespectful? Why do so many Americans think the French are rude, lazy, cowards? Your thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 7406/03/2013

[quote]Why do so many Americans think the French are rude, lazy, cowards?

Because they're tired of telling you how to get to the Eiffel Tower. Figure it out yourself.

by Anonymousreply 109/20/2012

Je crois que vous avez manqué une bonne opportunité de se taire.

by Anonymousreply 209/20/2012

Well if we're going to continue to make sweeping generalizations here on the the DL about entire races, then the French have a reputation for being snobby and racist but not trashy.

by Anonymousreply 309/20/2012

Americans are the white trash of the Western Hemisphere. Living next to you is like living next door to someone with cars parked on the lawn, dogs running loose, kids in diapers crying unattended, and regular visits from the police.

by Anonymousreply 409/20/2012

"Well if we're going to continue to make sweeping generalizations here on the the DL about entire races"

The French are not a "race."

by Anonymousreply 609/20/2012

America needs to shut up and mind their own major problems

by Anonymousreply 709/20/2012

Carla Bruni Sarkozy once remarked, "I'm glad I'm Italian -- the French are so negative." Her husband, France's tantrum-prone last president, was very unpopular and turfed out of office in a vengeful fashion unusual for an incumbent. A huge execution-style murder of tourists has taken place in the French Alps and the police chief is just sorta cluelessly shrugging his shoulders and acting put-upon because people want him to investigate the case. Strikes are a regular feature in Frenc cities and race relations are tense. A tourist survey recently singled out the French as the world's rudest people toward visitors. The stereotype of French people is harsh but like all stereotypes has some truth to it.

by Anonymousreply 809/20/2012

[quote]A huge execution-style murder of tourists has taken place in the French Alps and the police chief is just sorta cluelessly shrugging his shoulders and acting put-upon because people want him to investigate the case.

I've been following this in the French press, but I haven't seen one word about this in the American or British press. Have I just missed it?

by Anonymousreply 909/20/2012

No, it's not that the French are 'white trash'. Of course they are not.

The French simply despise royalty. Why do you think the French revolution occurred? So they love to take royals and the elite down a peg or two when they can. However, the French make exceptions for the intellectual and artistic elite.

by Anonymousreply 1009/20/2012

R9, the murder has been all over the British press. Brits and French have a history of animosity and Brits are getting quite ticked off at the French police's defensive, lackadaisical, and inept approach to the case.

by Anonymousreply 1109/20/2012

I am on zie case!

by Anonymousreply 1209/20/2012

Thank you, R11. I've just been missing it in the British press, which I don't follow as closely as I do the American and French press.

You are absolutely correct about the British/French animosity. They never miss a chance to ridicule each other.

As for the French police, years ago when I lived in France, there was quite the scandal in the area I lived in. People heard a woman screaming that she was being raped. When people called the police to report the incident, the policeman's response was something like, "Merci, monsieur, but by the time we get there, the crime will be over and the rapist will have fled."

by Anonymousreply 1309/20/2012

i really hate generalizations but it's well known that the French are vain, Britons are hypocrite and Spaniards are envious

by Anonymousreply 1409/20/2012

I love Catherine Deneuve.

by Anonymousreply 1509/20/2012

Je suis désolé Mademoiselle, mais en toute déférence, j'ai problèmes de mon propre.

by Anonymousreply 1609/20/2012

I am not overly fond of the French myself, but there is no way that they are "the white trash" of Europe. They value culture too much for that.

I suspect Americans hate the French because their own lack of culture stands out like a sore thumb in comparison to them.

by Anonymousreply 1709/20/2012

This whole post is a farce

by Anonymousreply 1809/20/2012

J'adore R4.

by Anonymousreply 1909/20/2012

R17 can't be more than 12 years old. So naive.

by Anonymousreply 2109/20/2012

Having lived in France for two years (both in Paris and Bouches-du-Rhone) I really don't think the French are the white-trash of Europe. Such blanket statement can't be made of an entire country, but the French consider Belgium to be the white-trash captial of Europe.

by Anonymousreply 2209/20/2012

Some French are white trash. Some try to be snobby which is laughable. Most are cowards. All men think they are amazing in bed. Some are. Some aren't. Most need lessons in hygiene. But the biggest misconception of the French and even Parisians is that they are fashionable. Fashion is something they export but can't afford to buy for themselves. Most have a few nice pieces that they wear until they fall apart. The men in Milan are must better dressed than their French counterparts. A fact that galls those Gauls to no end.

by Anonymousreply 2309/20/2012

What a complete fucking dumb ass post.

by Anonymousreply 2409/20/2012

[quote]There is "white trash" in every country.

Not Ethiopia.

by Anonymousreply 2509/20/2012

r9, huge story for days in the UK Daily Mail.

by Anonymousreply 2609/20/2012

Well OP, reason number four you gave makes them rather nice. As far as lazy, rude, desrespectful and dishonest....honey, that's America to the tee!

by Anonymousreply 2709/20/2012

OP, are you seriously blaming the entire French people for this?

I don't know what your nationality is, but I'm positive that if you look at all the acts of your compatriots ever committed, you will certainly find trashier acts than showing Kate Middleton naked.

by Anonymousreply 2809/21/2012

OP has hit the nail on the head.

Because, as everyone knows, the US and UK paparazzi are nothing less than that fully respectful and discrete, nobody ever gets murdered in the US and UK without an immediate arrest of the killers, and everyone in the US and UK are cultured, sophisticated, well-dressed and very attractive, unlike the fugly trashy French.

Dumb fucking French. You gotta hate them just for bankrolling the American revolution, and for dumping that damn lump of green metal in NY harbor. Bitches.

by Anonymousreply 2909/21/2012

How dare you to say that the French are only good at conspiracy, backstabbing, theft, and duality, R30? They happen to be famous for being the best cocksuckers in the world!

by Anonymousreply 3102/02/2013

I'm European and have lived and worked with many French people. They really are awful. I can never quite get over how selfish they are. They are incapable of seeing anything from anyone else's point of view and of considering how their actions impact on other people.

They tend to be bullies as well, grinding people down until they get their own way. Constantly. One guy who works in a nearby office wanted to get a Nespresso machine for the use of the department. Nobody else really wanted one, but he did so he brought it up every day, talked about how great it would be and how incredibly unfair it was that he had to walk downstairs to the canteen and how much money people would save if they got a Nespresso. Eventually, most people put in the money (I didn't) just to shut him up. We now have a Nespresso machine that only he uses and he's really proud of himself for obtaining it. He's oblivious to the fact that everyone resents him for his bullying and cheap ass ways. So French.

The worst thing about the French is the pettiness. The constant getting angry about the most ridiculous things and calling it 'standing up for your rights'. One of my French colleagues asked me why I didn't get as wound up as they did about stuff and I told them that I save that for stuff that actually matters. Family issues, medical issues, social issues rank more highly for me than what type of milk the boss supplies for the communal refrigerator. They all need to grow up. The stuff that concerns them is stuff I worried about in elementary school.

by Anonymousreply 3202/02/2013

Totally agree with r32. They are rude, uncouth and completely oblivious about the feelings of others. I was such a francophile until I spent 2 years there as a student. I also found them very defensive and envious of other countries for variety of reasons. Also, the bad B.O. stereotype is not far-fetched.

by Anonymousreply 3302/02/2013

R17 is right. But France is far too diverse and complex to generalize about.

The hilarious book "French or Foe?" by Polly Platt does a great job of explaining the French. We make the mistake of expecting them to be like us since they look like us, but they are culturally quite different.

We can learn a lot from the French. Their health care system is probably the best on earth. Their dedication to eating well and enjoying life is wonderful. But they do things differently.

I have learned from my French friends that they really value people who entertain them. They don't really care if I make things up when I tell them about something that happened to me. As long as my story makes them laugh, they don't care. Similarly, if you're going to ask a store clerk in France to do something for you, you'd better entertain him with your story or he's likely to just tell you to fuck off.

But the Americans surely a million times more "white trash" than the French.

by Anonymousreply 3402/02/2013

Oh yes, I should add to my comment above that my French friends are fascinated by rednecks in America. They regard them as amazingly resourceful and entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 3502/02/2013

Like we do the Travelers or Gypsies. We don't have to live near them or have them pollute the voting pool.

by Anonymousreply 3602/02/2013

OP is the white trash of DL.

by Anonymousreply 3702/02/2013

I've worked in France (Paris). Once thing that really struck me was how sexist and chauvinistic their society is. I thought they would be a lot more liberal than that.

by Anonymousreply 3802/02/2013

I live in Paris. There a lot things I can't stand here about the people but many things that I love, just like anywhere else. BTW The French Parliment has just passed the main clause in the gay marriage law today.

by Anonymousreply 3902/02/2013

R38, after many years of watching their cinema, I'm not surprised they're chauvinistic.

I think the "liberal" part is largely around sex, not equality. We always note their "liberal" attitudes around extramarital affairs for instance, but I doubt that attitude about affairs came about by or for women.

by Anonymousreply 4002/02/2013

"Why are the French so dishonest and disrespectful? Why do so many Americans think the French are rude, lazy, cowards? Your thoughts?"

Sounds more like ghetto, hoodrats to me.

by Anonymousreply 4102/02/2013

Funny how clueless DLers are carrying on this discussion while France today just passed the same-sex marriage bill.

So much for the white trash of Europe...

by Anonymousreply 4202/02/2013

In all the areas of the US I've lived in, the trashiest white trash people I came across (cars up on blocks, rusted sofa springs in yard) were a Dutch person and a Norwegian-American who sends his kids to Norwegian camp in upstate NY every summer.

And here I thought Irish Americans were the trashiest. Their houses are cluttered on the inside, but not dirty. My grandparents were Irish and trashy, but they were dirt poor, ignorant immigrants who moved to a non-Irish American town and didn't have the network of support they would have had in Brooklyn or Boston. Poverty was forever in their minds.

The Norwegan American lives in a house he could sell for close to a million dollars if it was debris-free. He's got plenty of money. He's just trashy.

by Anonymousreply 4302/02/2013

French Canadians are even trashier and classless. Such rude, arrogant people.

by Anonymousreply 4402/02/2013

Who can tell who is French anymore with so many foreigners in France? I wouldn't call the French white trash, if anybody has that "market" cornered, thoughts would fly to Americans almost immediately, even among some Americans themselves and they're not all white. I never had too many problems with the French while there on vacation years ago, my sister did however. I think part of the problem is that they tend to be easily annoyed with those not familiar with their way of doing things. But cops deliberately giving wrong directions for amusement is just not right.

by Anonymousreply 4502/02/2013

Huh. It's weird. As a European working with only Americans, it constantly amazes me how histrionic Americans are. They seem to be overreacting to everything. Also, they are superficially nice, but are nasty and negative just 1/2 inch beneath the surface. Mostly though, they worship MONEY above everything else.

by Anonymousreply 4602/02/2013

That's nice r46, but what about your experience with the French? It is, after all, the subject of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 4702/02/2013

I´ll take fake-nice over real-rude any day

by Anonymousreply 4802/02/2013

My experience working in Montreal with French Canadians was horrible - the openly speak French about me, in front of me - they would say my name or point with their glances.

Any little thing I did wrong was immediately reported - just dreadful.

And, they are very duplicitous - I was surprised. Now, my understanding is the rest of Canada is different.

by Anonymousreply 4902/02/2013

I've never lived in France but I've had quite a few French friends and been around French people often.

They are a lot of fun but you do need to walk on eggshells around them, esp the women. Then again they usually apologize for snapping at you when they do.

What always amuses me is they make you feel like you are in a very exclusive club as you are a Friend of a French Person. It's like they all consider themselves celebrities because they are French. To be fair, lots of people treat them that way as there are many Francophiles.

They are very sure that their ways are the best ways. If you are a non French friend, then they like to school you in how to live life properly. And if you speak French, you have to wait a long time before they will speak it with you. When they do, you are in a place of honor.

On the plus side they are really loyal, passionate friends and very affectionate.

by Anonymousreply 5002/02/2013

R50 What are the men there like? And are there a lot of closet cases there?

by Anonymousreply 5102/02/2013

r50 sounds like you're desperate to be liked by French people. You've already put them on a pedestal and assume making it into their cirlcle is like being accepted at a country club.

by Anonymousreply 5202/02/2013

NEWSFLASH FOR OP:

Not all French people are white.

by Anonymousreply 5302/02/2013

Spain is definitely the white trash country of Europe. They all have mullets.

You all are just pissed because some Parisian didn't want to be your friend. I've never encountered a rude French person, just some people who didn't act like dopey Americans from the South. New York gets the same bad rap.

by Anonymousreply 5402/02/2013

If you want to talk about the white trash of Europe, lets talk about the Netherlands. Dutch people are so trashy in looks, manners, and personality. Ugly too.

by Anonymousreply 5502/02/2013

New York is a cunt factory. We talk about the gaping sore that is New York all the time, though... Back to the French.

by Anonymousreply 5602/02/2013

Brits are the white trash of Europe. Of the world. They rarely bath and they are the original of "If it smells like cologne, leave it alone."

We're not lacking culture R17. We invented our culture, as different as Europe as possible. Yes, all of Europe. Can you truly tell them apart?

by Anonymousreply 5702/02/2013

(R52) I'm not sure how you got that out of what I wrote.

I said I was amused by this. And I am.

Such as I am constantly amused and amazed by the lack of reading comprehension on DL.

Not desperate to be liked by anybody, including you Hector Projector

by Anonymousreply 5802/02/2013

I've always admired the French people for their mass striking, just bringing the whole damn country to a halt when something annoys them. Even if it is based on selfishness I wish Americans would do the same thing. We would have a much more responsive government if we seized our collective power to just sit on our ass and do nothing and let the capitalist overseers twist in the wind for a few days.

by Anonymousreply 5902/02/2013

They sucked Hitler's dick. They're trash.

by Anonymousreply 6002/02/2013

They stink beyond belief.

by Anonymousreply 6102/02/2013

That's why they invented perfume.

by Anonymousreply 6202/03/2013

[R:57] That's just bull. Social manners are all in UK and as part of that, cleanliness is sacrosanct. However everyone I know in the UK who's taken in French exchange students has had to politely ask them to bathe - as they don't, left to their own devices. There's much I like about France, but it is chauvinistic, they're about 30 years behind women's / minority rights of other Western nations.

To continue the xenophobia though... Austrians are generally considered to be the rednecks of Europe. And that has certainly been my experience - and I've worked extensively around the continent.

by Anonymousreply 6302/03/2013

Wht R44 said. The Quebecois are stupid and nasty and very trashy, much more so than their French brethren.

by Anonymousreply 6402/03/2013

[quote] are the French people the "white trash" of Europe?

Uhm how? And, when? OP is clearly British because even the Greeks consider the British the 'white trash' of Europe.

Nice try, hon. But you FAIL.

by Anonymousreply 6502/03/2013

Canadians never get their due but they are indeed a crass, obnoxiously, infamously rude and indeed the trashiest society as a whole of the Americas.

by Anonymousreply 6602/03/2013

I have heard many times that zee women do not shave any of their most hidden parts. Zees is what makes the stinking, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 6702/03/2013

[quote] However everyone I know in the UK who's taken in French exchange students has had to politely ask them to bathe - as they don't, left to their own devices.

If you're even mildly concerned with personal hygiene NEVER take in a French exchange student. Italians are fine though, and much more likeable too.

by Anonymousreply 6802/03/2013

I was in Italy looking at an exhibit. A French family rushed over and I almost fainted from the stench. How does body odor not making them vomit? It's unbelievable. The stereotype is completely true.

by Anonymousreply 6902/03/2013

R66, Imagine have to live in a country where scarcely anything interesting happens and on top of that weather.

by Anonymousreply 7002/04/2013

A French colleague described Italians as sissy, mama's boys obsessed who wear too much perfume.

by Anonymousreply 7102/07/2013

[quote]A French colleague described Italians as sissy, mama's boys obsessed who wear too much perfume.

First off all, they're French, which means they're rude. Second, Italy has the Mafia, so I wouldn't classify them as sissies. Your collegiate is a dirty French homophobe. There's a reason why the world hates the French.

by Anonymousreply 7202/07/2013

R72= Goomba WOP trash

by Anonymousreply 7302/07/2013

The mayor of Montpellier cemented her place in history when she married the first gay couple in France on May 29. But now Helene Mandroux is making headlines for a different reason: The French mayor has received countless threats, including one with feces, over her part in the marriage.

According to Montpellier daily newspaper Midi Libre, since performing the wedding, Mandroux has received many letters that contain insults and threats expressing opposition to gay marriage in France. One of the packages mailed to the French official also contained feces, municipal officers discovered.

Passage of the landmark law has spurred intense protests in the country. Prior to the legislation's approval by the National Assembly, France saw a marked rise in violent attacks on gay couples. Legislators who voiced their support for gay marriage were also threatened.

In one of the more alarming incidents, Claude Bartolone, the head of the National Assembly, received a letter containing gunpowder.

Though the mailed threats have become more commonly associated with gay marriage opposition in France, a number of French politicians have received similar packages throughout the years when they have expressed their sentiments on a controversial piece of legislation.

Despite the many threats and protests, French President Francois Hollande signed the France's "marriage for all" legislation into law on May 18; the same day, Vincent Autin and Bruno Boileau signed up to wed in Montpellier.

by Anonymousreply 7406/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.