Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

A very nice cat just walked into my house...

When I put the rubbish (garbage) out.

& I want him to know he's welcome.

What should I do?..I only talk dog.

I gave him some water and he's had some.

Very affectionate.

Wandering around my house as a type.

He tried to jump on my lap but his claws sort of dug in & I jumped. So I put a rug on my lap, buy he doesn't trust the look of it.

It's 00:32 in the morning and can't call anyone here (in London) for tips.

by Anonymousreply 17710/06/2012

No, it's a girl, it seems and she's OK about the rug now.

I'm going to call her Davida.

by Anonymousreply 109/19/2012

Wiggle a strong around for her.

by Anonymousreply 209/19/2012

The best way to let a cat knows it's welcome is to mostly leave it alone. They consider eye contact to be threatening. Just make soothing noises and talk to it while its exploring. Don't force anything. Cats work on their own schedule and its an entirely different schedule than dogs, who generally make up their minds about you within seconds of meeting you.

Also, try to avoid scratches. This'll get me a "MARY!" but you don't know where that cat's been.

by Anonymousreply 309/19/2012

Oh, and feed the poor thing. If it walked into your house, it's most likely hungry.

by Anonymousreply 409/19/2012

Thanks for responding.

He was really sniffing around all my breakfast stuff...honey & stuff so I guessed he was hungry.

& suddenly thought TUNA! and he gobbled some of it up very fast and got very excited when I opened the tin.

by Anonymousreply 509/19/2012

Hope it doesn't have fleas.

by Anonymousreply 609/19/2012

How very British of you...

by Anonymousreply 709/19/2012

No he seems very clean and I imagine well loved.

No collar though.

He's very into eye contact and rubbing himself against my leg and jumped onto my lap & onto the kitchen counter to be near me.

I think he's gone upstairs. Hope he doesn't throw up the tuna there or piss on my bed.

by Anonymousreply 809/19/2012

The thing with cats is that they don't actually need you, so when they give you their time it means something.

When you encounter a new cat, let them do what they want within reason; they always seem to appreciate it and bond with you.

by Anonymousreply 909/19/2012

Try springing surprise anal on the kitty.

by Anonymousreply 1009/19/2012

Bless your heart OP, may be he wants to live with you

by Anonymousreply 1109/19/2012

He is probably just visiting and will go home soon. He will piss in your bed or bathtub if you don't have a litterbox.

by Anonymousreply 1209/19/2012

[quote]When you encounter a new cat, let them do what they want within reason; they always seem to appreciate it and bond with you.

OK.

The reason I'm especially pleased to see him is because I saw a mouse in here last night and was very pissed about it and the cat turning up is like a miracle.

by Anonymousreply 1309/19/2012

I was helping my friend move. We left the door open for 2 minutes to carry out the TV & when we came back, there were two cats sitting on the couch.

by Anonymousreply 1409/19/2012

"Robin" lives!!!

by Anonymousreply 1509/19/2012

Please do not feed it milk. Unless it is a weaning kitten, it does not need milk.

by Anonymousreply 1609/19/2012

If she got excited when you opened the tin, that most likely means she's not feral and is used to being fed. She might be someone else's cat.

by Anonymousreply 1709/19/2012

What's that throaty noise he's making as he inspects the place?

by Anonymousreply 1809/19/2012

Will you pay the minimum wage?

by Anonymousreply 1909/19/2012

OP you don't pick a cat. The cat picks you.

by Anonymousreply 2009/19/2012

[quote]Please do not feed it milk. Unless it is a weaning kitten, it does not need milk.

Thanks. Yes, I knew that much.

What if I go to bed? I think I'll put him out.

I opened the front door..didn't want him to feel a prisoner. He hung out in the front garden for a few minutes looking about and came back in.

What does miouw mean? I'm serious. Is he calling me when he does that? Is he happy?

by Anonymousreply 2109/19/2012

[quote] that most likely means she's not feral and is used to being fed

I'm sure she's not feral. That much I can tell.

Seems well loved.

by Anonymousreply 2209/19/2012

OP, that throaty noise usually happens when they spot prey, like birds or mice. You might get to watch a hunt tonight.

by Anonymousreply 2309/19/2012

Caterwalling?

by Anonymousreply 2409/19/2012

Depends on where you live in London

by Anonymousreply 2509/19/2012

She's a very affectionate cat.

Every time I put out my hand she rubs against it and there's a chair right next to where I sit and she's making herself at home there, right next to me.

by Anonymousreply 2609/19/2012

Are there balls hanging from behind?

If not, she may be looking for a spot to drop a litter.

by Anonymousreply 2709/19/2012

If you can set up a litter box with sand or gravel, let the cat stay indoors tonight. If that mouse is still around, she'll probably find it & solve that problem for you by morning.

by Anonymousreply 2809/19/2012

[quote]I'm going to call her [...].

It seems I can't write that name. Prize to anyone who can guess.

It's a VERY affectionate cat. Very responsive. In fact it's me who's responding to her.

by Anonymousreply 3009/19/2012

[quote]What's that throaty noise he's making as he inspects the place?

Sounds sexy.

by Anonymousreply 3109/19/2012

She sounds lovely. Stay up with her and phone in sick tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 3209/19/2012

[quote]If you can set up a litter box with sand or gravel

Until last week I had a feng shui thing with sand in it, but I threw it out after years.

Otherwise...I have gravel in the garden and a box which my new kettle came in.

Shall I just cut it into a tray and put gravel into it?

by Anonymousreply 3309/19/2012

OP, it's late- create a makeshift tray- even if it's shredded paper or soil, she will probably use it. Let her stay, sounds like she wants to.

by Anonymousreply 3409/19/2012

OP, the cat could be picking up on an old English evil evil spirit!

There's probably some dead asshole who's throwing your new best friend some shade. If so, you should name her "Hainted Taint" because that rhymes real goood.

by Anonymousreply 3509/19/2012

It's nice you took the cat in. I'm wishing I'd taken in a local stray. We thought he belonged to a neighbor but preferred to hang out in our yard. We fed him and a couple of others. For a year or so, but didn't let him in the house, as I had an eldercat in residence. When eldercat passed away a couple of months ago, I think this guy expected to take his place. But I wanted to be able to go back and forth to the city and the cat doesn't go to the city. It just lived up here in the hills in the country. Last week, he showed up on my porch on his last legs. I think he had a stroke. I brought him in and stayed with him before the vet opened and he was able to pass on, poor thing. Now I'm kicking myself for not taking that cat in. So, if you like the cat, and it sounds like you do, keep him. If he wants to leave, he'll leave.

by Anonymousreply 3609/19/2012

Well R36, sounds like you were there for both of them at the end.

by Anonymousreply 3709/19/2012

I'm sorry I don't have much advice to give, OP, but I did want to tell you that your post made my night.

by Anonymousreply 3809/19/2012

Some of the best pets I've ever had were cats I've taken in off the streets -- in every case, they sought me out, which is very flattering. Consider yourself blessed, OP, & try not to blow it.

by Anonymousreply 3909/19/2012

[quote]What does miouw mean? I'm serious. Is he calling me when he does that? Is he happy?

Cats don't communicate verbally or orally to each other except for hissing. The miao sound they make is their way of trying to sound like us talking, very charming behavior in fact. that's why many feral cats remain silent, not conditioned to "talk" with people.

this cat sounds clearly not a lost pet.

by Anonymousreply 4009/19/2012

Oh, goooood she's gone into the cupboard under the stairs where the mouse came from. She's back out...

Also, I've set up a 'litter box'.

I cut open my kettle's box and went into the garden and now I've put a layer of gravel and compost in it.

Puss inspected the garden and came back in.

How do I explain to her that the box is for her business? (horrid expression, I know...)

by Anonymousreply 4109/19/2012

[quote]this cat sounds clearly not a lost pet.

No...if I keep her there'll be signs stuck on all the trees in a few days and some hysterical child going from door to door with her Mummy(mommy).

by Anonymousreply 4309/19/2012

[quote] Will you pay the minimum wage?

It's England. The cat can go on the dole, get benefits, free medical/dental and housing

by Anonymousreply 4409/19/2012

OP, she's likely to use the box on her own -- they look for soft earth or gravel to dig in. Maybe spread a bunch of newspapers under & around it, in case she doesn't actually sit right in the box.

With kittens, I've picked them up, planted them in the box, stood at the tail end, reached up to grab each front leg, & used the 2 front paws to make a clawing motion in the litter back toward the chest, just lightly, 3 or 4 times. Never had to demonstrate more than once & every kitten (even if rather dim) always got it right away.

by Anonymousreply 4509/19/2012

Pick her up and put her in the box. They usually get the idea quickly.

by Anonymousreply 4609/19/2012

OP, try lifting her up and then just standing her in the litter box for a second -- just long enough for her to feel what's beneath her feet. If she's litter trained, she'll know what to do there when the time comes.

And, while it's very kind of you to open your home, you should probably take her to your nearest shelter or vet's office tomorrow to see if she's been microchipped (i.e., belongs to someone).

It's possible she might be someone else's cherished pet, who just darted out an open door and now can't find her way home. She might have worried owners who are looking for her.

by Anonymousreply 4709/19/2012

Op chances are she will figure out what the liter box is for on her own. Try to call her attention to it, let her see it, sniff it etc. she does sound like she may be or was once some ones pet.

by Anonymousreply 4809/19/2012

Thanks, R45. I was sitting here (with my new GF) waiting for that info.

I'd call my BF but I just left him earlier this evening and he's VERY unwell...so I didn't have the heart to phone him.

Puss is looking very comfortable and at home in an armchair next to me. Dozing. Licking herself.

She's quite charming, I must say.

If she doesn't work out, I might go and get one. I've had mice on and off for about four years now and I CAN'T STAND IT!

People kept telling me to get a cat, but I don't usually like them.

My Dad got one a couple of years ago and it's horridly unfriendly but a tremendous mouser. He also had a problem with them, but no longer.

by Anonymousreply 4909/19/2012

I agree with R47, she sounds like a happy pet & you should try to help her find her home in the morning.

However, I took in a stray who clearly had been brought to my neighborhood on purpose & abandoned in a place where they must have thought people would be likely to adopt him. I was glad to oblige & we were very happy together for the rest of his life.

by Anonymousreply 5009/19/2012

OP, you are adorable and I'm so glad the comments have been nice. I only speak dog, sorry I don't have any advise to offer.

by Anonymousreply 5109/19/2012

[quote]It's possible she might be someone else's cherished pet, who just darted out an open door and now can't find her way home. She might have worried owners who are looking for her.

You're right. I feel sad now. Actually, I think this is a sign that it's time to get one. But I want a friendly one...I'm not into cold stares.

How do I transport her to the vet in the morning without one of those boxes with the handles?

by Anonymousreply 5209/19/2012

Sometimes people just leave their pet when they move. Sounds like this cat was looking for a new home, and there you are. Good for you.

A friend had a cat walk into his house during a party, it never left. Lovely cat. He never found out where it was from. Even if its owners do show up, if it's house cat it can't survive outside on its own. You're doing a good deed, OP.

Shredded newspaper in the top of cat box should do for tonight, go get a regular box and sand tomorrow morning. And get cat food, tuna is ok for a treat, but it's not enough vitamins for a long term diet.

by Anonymousreply 5309/19/2012

OP, the mice will smell the cat and leave, even if she can't catch them. Just the smell of a cat is like an eviction notice to them.

by Anonymousreply 5409/19/2012

You may wish to crouch down over the box, take a crap, and then cover it so she'll see how it's done.

by Anonymousreply 5509/19/2012

"If that mouse is still around, she'll probably find it & solve that problem for you by morning."

Not if it's full of tuna!

by Anonymousreply 5609/19/2012

Op many times vets and shelters have the cardboard pet carry on hand.

by Anonymousreply 5709/19/2012

[quote]You may wish to crouch down over the box, take a crap, and then cover it so she'll see how it's done.

I'm hysterical (!!)

by Anonymousreply 5809/19/2012

[quote]How do I explain to her that the box is for her business? (horrid expression, I know...)

I love the Brits!

by Anonymousreply 5909/19/2012

Where's AYB? He'd be able to tell you.

by Anonymousreply 6009/19/2012

It's funny...when she first came in her eyes looked sort of cold and catty, now she looks at me and her eyes are sweet.

I wonder what her story is.

I don't imagine she's been abandoned. This is a cat who's used to masses of affection.

She keeps going back to her chair. She's very at home.

This wouldn't have been nearly as nice an experience without your help, everyone.

I might stay up with her. I don't need to be up in the morning. If the mouse appears...I want to see what happens.

I'll describe her...she's sort of dark grey with black streaks all over. Average size, I guess. Light brown eyes.

by Anonymousreply 6109/19/2012

f

by Anonymousreply 6209/19/2012

Do well-fed house cats lose their hunting instinct?

by Anonymousreply 6309/19/2012

[quote]How do I transport her to the vet in the morning without one of those boxes with the handles?

Hmm. If you have a box with a lid (or that closes securely), you could cut large holes in the sides -- big enough for the cat to be able to breathe and see out of, but not large enough for her to crawl through -- put her in and carry her in that.

Or, as R57 suggests, pop by the vet's office or the shelter beforehand (if it's nearby), explain the situation and ask if they have a carrier you can borrow. Many shelters have extra carriers on hand.

As for adopting a friendly cat, they ARE out there! My parents just adopted a suuuuper-affectionate cat who'd been at their local shelter, unadopted, for several months. Good luck (again)!

by Anonymousreply 6409/19/2012

[quote]Where's AYB? He'd be able to tell you.

He's asleep, probably...it's two thirty in the morning!

[quote]OP, the mice will smell the cat and leave, even if she can't catch them. Just the smell of a cat is like an eviction notice to them.

No, this isn't true. My next door neighbour had a blind cat who had apparently once been a great mouser, but because the cat could no longer chase them, the mice ignored her... aka...didn't give a shit. They'd run straight in front of her.

by Anonymousreply 6509/19/2012

OP, just wondering. Does your pussy stink?

by Anonymousreply 6609/19/2012

My cat used to eat cockroaches. I loved him for it.

by Anonymousreply 6709/19/2012

R63 the cats I've had love to hunt, despite always having food available. It's in their nature. Thing is, they often don't outright kill their prey. It's not a pretty sight watching an animal get tortured to death.

by Anonymousreply 6809/19/2012

Are there a lot of mice in London?

by Anonymousreply 6909/19/2012

Yes R69, in the banking district.

by Anonymousreply 7009/19/2012

OK, OP, once you've made a serious attempt to reunited her with her owner, if that fails, then you need to have her de-clawwed if you decide to keep her and want her to be a housecat.

If you intend to let her go in and out, then she has to keep her claws, but she will mess up your furniture with claws. so get her a post she can claw. They sell them in stores that sell pet supplies.

Also get her a litter box asap. And buy some cat litter. You'll also have to provide her a feeding trough and water dish. Just set the stuff out and she will eat when she wants and drink when she wants.

You need to set up some rules, too. For instance not allowing her to climb on top of kitchen counters. Not allowing her to go into your bedroom. Keep your bedroom door shut.

To stop her from climbing up on the counters get yourself a plastic spray bottle , put some water in it, and when she clmbs up on stuff "shoosh her with water a couple of sprays. Cats hate getting wet. She'll stop. The downside to cats is they shed everywhere.

Oh. And assuming she is not a baby kitten or an old toothless thing, feed her dry catfood. moist catfood in tins should only be a treat now & then. I think it's too rich to be given on a steady basis. Remember. Google is your friend.

by Anonymousreply 7109/19/2012

Oh, thanks for that R62...it woke pussy up.

[quote]Does your pussy stink?

No, Cheryl. She's immaculate. She smells ladylike, as I imagine you do.

She's gone back to sleep now. She's obviously very at home here. I can't just go upstairs and leave her here all night.

by Anonymousreply 7209/19/2012

[quote]Are there a lot of mice in London?

Yes, it's become a big problem because over recent years, people are endlessly digging basements and extensions into their back gardens and it upsets their habitats. (This is what my father was told by the pest control people).

They've even had mice problems in the theatres...running across the stage...

by Anonymousreply 7309/19/2012

[quote]No, Cheryl. She's immaculate. She smells ladylike, as I imagine you do.

Ha! That's a laugh!

by Anonymousreply 7409/19/2012

Don't declaw the cat.

by Anonymousreply 7509/19/2012

Yeah, don't listen anything R71 said.

by Anonymousreply 7609/19/2012

DONT DECLAW! it's cruel, horrible! Get a scratching post or nail clippers. My cat likes to claw at the rug so I bought an inexpensive area rug for her and she is fine with that. Declawing is the equivalent of having your fingers chopped off.

by Anonymousreply 7709/19/2012

What [R68] said, as long as they're not too fat to move. Stalking is instinctive.

The ones who maul rather than kill may not know how - killing is learned behavior for cats, and kittens separated too early from their mother may have missed some of the lessons.

(She starts them on dead things, then moves them up through the successively less dead until they can handle unwounded prey on their own. Dead or maimed gifts to their people are thought to be residual behavior from that process.)

by Anonymousreply 7809/19/2012

[quote]As for adopting a friendly cat, they ARE out there! My parents just adopted a suuuuper-affectionate cat who'd been at their local shelter, unadopted, for several months. Good luck (again)!

Most of the cats that make it to Adoption Row at shelters have friendly, outgoing personalities (same with dogs). The euthanasia rate is so high that an unfriendly animal isn't likely to make it.

Best way to find the animal you want is to talk to the volunteers who work there - they often know the animals better than the employees do, since much of volunteering is socializing cats and dogs.

by Anonymousreply 7909/19/2012

r71 is pretty old-school in most of her advice. You'd be better off doing the opposite of most of it.

by Anonymousreply 8009/19/2012

[quote]DONT DECLAW! it's cruel, horrible!

OK, I PROMISE not to. I'd already heard that people think it's cruel.

But I'm just dealing with the present situation for now.

I could post a picture of her online! A video, even. It'll give me something to do as I'm going to be stuck here all night.

Can I post a pic anonymously? I've seen it done here before. I'm not in a hurry to link to my flickr account (no offence meant by this).

by Anonymousreply 8109/19/2012

[quote]She starts them on dead things, then moves them up through the successively less dead until they can handle unwounded prey on their own. Dead or maimed gifts to their people are thought to be residual behavior from that process.

This totally describes my dating life.

by Anonymousreply 8209/19/2012

[quote]Most of the cats that make it to Adoption Row at shelters have friendly, outgoing personalities

I also need to be certain the cat's a good mouser! Apparently you can take a toy mouse along and see if the cat responds. This is what our Prime Minister did when they had a rodent problem at 10 Downing Street....see link.

by Anonymousreply 8309/19/2012

Op it's clear you're getting attached to your new friend, and that's sweet. And not to sound like Debbie Downer, keep in mind some one may come looking for her. You should do what was suggested and see if she is chipped. Pleased keep us posted.

by Anonymousreply 8409/19/2012

Name the cat Banshee!

by Anonymousreply 8509/19/2012

R36, I had a similar sitution with a stray cat taking over my yard. He was constantly getting into fights and being hurt so I took him to my vet to get his shots. My vet fixed him for free and now that cat thinks I am the greatest thing that ever existed. He comes and goes as he wants. Last night he climbed into bed with me and slept as close as he could get. He's an old cat with a lot of scars and grey fur but it's like he's getting to be a kitten again. Loves to play but not very good at it. I'm really glad he stopped by.

by Anonymousreply 8609/19/2012

Here's a pic.

by Anonymousreply 8709/19/2012

"Animals belong outside."

by Anonymousreply 8809/19/2012

Beautiful cat and decor!

by Anonymousreply 8909/19/2012

I found one of my cats the very same way. He was actually a neighbourhood cat. he would just wander in and out of people's houses, and everyone took care of him and made sure he was inside during bad weather. He came into my house one day about ten years, and just never left. He's a very sweet boy, and I'm glad I opened the door to let him in.

And thank you for taking your cat in. I hope it brings you lots of joy.

by Anonymousreply 9009/19/2012

Any thoughts on a name, OP?

by Anonymousreply 9109/19/2012

Adorable kitty. Great chair. And perfect Titanic pillow.

by Anonymousreply 9209/19/2012

OP, tease your hair and draw some whiskers on your cheeks with that eye liner you keep hidden in your bathroom cabinet. Then make real subtle, yet sexy meow sounds to let her know you like her.

by Anonymousreply 9409/19/2012

Okay, let's criticize everything we can see in the photo at R87.

Start with the chair, with that orange checkered fabric. The table. The Titanic pillow. And is that a rotary phone?

A radiator. Does he dry his clothes on it?

by Anonymousreply 9509/19/2012

Keep us posted. I am a cat person. I have had cats since I was five (I am 47 now). They are all unique.

You are doing a great job. If a cat is a "mouser" it has nothing to do with if it is fed or not. No problem with tuna now and then but dry food is best. Sounds like you are a sucker so don't so don't go down that road!

I took in a stray 3 years ago "Lucy". She is neurotic, crazy and scared of her own shadow... we love her anyway. She is affectionate but only on her terms. Sounds like yours is a little more normal. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 9609/19/2012

OP, I'm very glad you've named the cat after me. I'm (...) and I've had rescue cats for most of my life. Whether or not they're hungry, they love "playing" with very small animals. Bugs and mice get the hint, and split fast if they still can. My cats hated carriers, they were transported in a large paper bag in my arms. Also contented pussies make a soft gutteral or a low purring sound, especially when they're fed. Rubbing up against you is the feline way of saying, "thank you." She's showing that she likes your scent. Sometimes they use their claws to literally kneed you too, similar to a "kitty massage." Don't be surprised if she tries to sleep with you in bed, perhaps by your feet. I'm sure she recognizes a very kind soul.

by Anonymousreply 9709/19/2012

[quote]They are all unique.

How so? Sure, I know this is true, but as someone who's never had the pleasure of owning a cat(I'm considering it), I'd like to know from the cat lovers. How much variance can there be?

by Anonymousreply 9809/19/2012

You're a gas, R95. Tell us more. What do you think?

by Anonymousreply 9909/19/2012

OP, wet food is actually ok for cats. I thought it was dry food only too, but apparently now vets say that canned food has more liquid in it and therefore is good for a cat's kidneys. It's important that cats drink plenty of water, but they can also get a lot of water from wet food.

Just don't give her cat "junk food" like Fancy Feast. Ask the vet for a recommendation on what type to buy. Vets usually have some cardboard cat carriers too. Buy a cozy throw or baby blanket for wherever the cat likes to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 10009/19/2012

The variation is mostly in academic performance

by Anonymousreply 10109/19/2012

That's what I figured, R101.

by Anonymousreply 10209/19/2012

[quote]LOL. It's not a Titanic pillow...that would be creepy! I think it says Atlantic, but I don't want to check or I'll wake pussy.

It says TRANSATLANTIC...and yes, I woke pussy, checking.

[quote]Start with the chair, with that orange checkered fabric. The table. The Titanic pillow. And is that a rotary phone?

If I wasn't feeling so tired I'd photograph the whole room for you...I'm looking for trouble.

[quote]OP, I'm very glad you've named the cat after me.

Well, now I have your approval, how can I not?

But, how do I know you are really you and who I think (& hope) you are?

by Anonymousreply 10309/19/2012

Well, did he buy that chair, or was it given to him, or did he find it in an alley? Do people really like that fabric? Does the cat? He is hiding his face - I guess that's his answer.

Did any one notice the dingy carpet - barf-color?

The table looks a bit cluttered. Why so many things on such a small table?

by Anonymousreply 10409/19/2012

[quote]Ask the vet for a recommendation on what type to buy.

Don't take r100 advice on this. Vets don't know anything about commercial pet food. Moreover, a lot of vets will recommend Science Diet because many of the Vets are bought and paid for by Hill's. Science Diet is crap food that labels itself "premium." Premium my ass.

When I was a new, first time cat owner, I asked my vet what food he recommended. SD he said. Surprise. Surprise. The lobby is filled with SD products. I tried it and my cat kept getting diarrhea. I went online and much to my chagrin, seasoned cat owners are telling each other not to buy SD. Many also report that it was their vet who recommended SD.

If you want advice on cat nutrition, read it on some crazy cat lady forums. They know their stuff. Call them what you want, but many have learned from years of trial and errors and simply the pure love of their cats.

I recommend this cat site:

by Anonymousreply 10509/19/2012

We need photos of the whole room, maybe the whole place. Yes, you're tired, but think of us (for once). This can be a Cat Thread and a What Do We Think, Tasteful Friends thread all at once.

by Anonymousreply 10609/19/2012

The variation is in intelligence and in personality. Mickey Katt used to wait until I was fast asleep, open the bedroom door, and then the refrigerator door in the kitchen. Yes he was very small but strong. He could balance himself to reach the top shelf, and then steal whatever looked good. No joke. Daytime whenever I opened the refrigerator, Mickey Katt came running. I finally learned he was sniffing to see if there was anything worth stealing and eating in the middle of the night.

by Anonymousreply 10709/19/2012

OP, I love you! I'm sitting here greatly enjoying this thread; the best in ages.

R73: mice onstage???! If I had been there, I would have (b) sued for my ticket price back! after I (a) returned from hospital, having had a heart attack, hee-hee!

R95: you elevate criticism to a high level; love it!

by Anonymousreply 10809/19/2012

Ooops, didn't mean to quote myself there @ 103.

I'm off to sleep. Many thanks again, for all the top notch advice.

I'll post the outcome.

by Anonymousreply 10909/19/2012

Dry food is far and away the most convenient, the least smelly, and the least expensive. I wouldn't recommend it, though: I've had three cats over the years get diabetes from the high carbohydrates in it, so I now only feed my cats wet food, and they seem to enjoy it more. Damn them.

by Anonymousreply 11009/19/2012

[quote]Well, did he buy that chair, or was it given to him, or did he find it in an alley? Do people really like that fabric? Does the cat? He is hiding his face - I guess that's his answer.

Oh, God...here we go.

[quote]You're a gas, [R95]. Tell us more. What do you think?

You're evil, R99.

by Anonymousreply 11109/19/2012

Why is OP pretending it's not a Titanic pillow? Trying hide his ghoulish ways? Too late. We all know the Titanic had four smokestacks. What other sick, twisted decorative accessories can be found in his disturbing little abode? Bookshelves full of serial killer books? Skulls? Hitler stuff?

by Anonymousreply 11209/19/2012

Does anyone here do raw food for cats?

by Anonymousreply 11309/19/2012

My cat has been on prescription food for years, but before that we fed her Eukanuba, and that was good for her and she liked it. Don't know if you can get it outside of the U.S. though.

by Anonymousreply 11409/19/2012

Thanks R107, sounds like he was a great cat.

Here's a new question: how can you best judge a cat's personality(I wouldn't get one say under a year old) when you are trying to pick one out at a shelter. It would be great to know what quirks you are or aren't getting.

Not that they would emerge at the shelter, but the general personality might provide hints. How can you get the cats to show what they are really like to you at first? Is it always a gamble when you get one?

by Anonymousreply 11509/19/2012

Looks like the cat has been fixed cause of the little nick on its left ear. So its probably someone's cat that got out.

by Anonymousreply 11609/19/2012

I know what you're talking about r110. I feed my cat about 70% wet and 30%. My cat is very picky so if I find a brand he likes, I stick with it until he grows tired of it. For wet food, he gets a variety, from the moderately-priced Nutro to the expensive Instinct (rabbit is his favorite). He does not like Wellness, Buffalo Blue or Innova canned. BB and Wellness are good stuff but he just won't eat it.

My cat used to be overweight but now that he's on a wet food diet, he has slimmed down over the years. Wet food is good if your cat is overweight or indoor-only.

by Anonymousreply 11709/20/2012

[quote]Looks like the cat has been fixed cause of the little nick on its left ear. So its probably someone's cat that got out.

Got out or let out? In this economy, it would not surprise me that the cat was dumped.

by Anonymousreply 11809/20/2012

There's no way I'm going to get to sleep now.

Here's my nearest cat rescue place @ link.

Maybe someone can help choose the right cat for me, from the information provided. He can not be fussy about decor, of course, so this needs to be taken into consideration.

UPDATE on Puss: I thought she wanted to go out. I opened the front door and she most definitely does not. She looked horrified at the idea of it. I think it's the check chair (I bought at auction & keep promising to get re-covered, but I doubt I ever will) that's seduced her.

by Anonymousreply 11909/20/2012

[quote]Here's a new question: how can you best judge a cat's personality(I wouldn't get one say under a year old) when you are trying to pick one out at a shelter. It would be great to know what quirks you are or aren't getting. Not that they would emerge at the shelter, but the general personality might provide hints. How can you get the cats to show what they are really like to you at first? Is it always a gamble when you get one?

You can tell a lot with shelter animals. Most dogs go through standardized temperament testing, but cats are a bit more difficult, though not impossible.

Do they try to attract attention when you walk near the cage? Do they cry out or stick their paws through the bars, or do they sit quietly and calmly? That may be a couch potato cat that won't get into too much mischief.

Does it relax in your arms and start purring right away when a stranger (you) picks it up? That's a sign it may be highly adaptable to a living situation and is seeking companionship. Often those cats are described as having "dog-like" personalities -- they follow you around and are happy with company. (Not good choices for someone who works or travels a lot.)

Most cats are motivated by affection, food and play. If you take out a cat, what does it want to do first? Cuddle and be petted? Get down and explore? Meow for a treat?

See if the shelter has a playroom or a "get to know you" room. What does the cat do when you take it in there and close the door? Is it hesitant? Does it immediately start playing, or try to entice you into play? Does it ignore the toys and crawl into your lap, begging for affection? A super-playful cat may drive you crazy with its need to play all the time; a super-affectionate cat may have some separation anxiety.

Ask to see the shelter's file on the animal. There you can find out its circumstances: if it was turned in as a friendly stray, if it was found in a litter, if it was an owner surrender. Surrenders can range from new babies in the house, to hoarders, to people who moved and didn't take the animal -- almost anything.

Some of the best, most balanced cats (and dogs) who arrive at a shelter were the property of an elderly person who died, or who wasn't able to take care of them. Often the animals are middle-aged themselves and are very confused as to why they are there.

Yes, it's always a bit of a gamble, of course, but you can tell a lot more in just a few minutes with the animal than most people realize. If you're open to choices you may not have considered (many people aren't; they want "a kitten" or "an orange cat" or whatever) and look at the personality first, you'll have a good shot of finding what you are seeking.

by Anonymousreply 12009/20/2012

Another vote for wet food, not dry. Cats are obligate carnivores and are meant to eat meat, not grain or vegetables. Their teeth are made for tearing, not chewing. And, as others have pointed out, wet food is much much better in terms of keeping your cat hydrated and keeping its body (esp. its kidneys) healthy.

As for us helping you choose a cat -- you have to go and meet the cats in person. Never choose a cat based solely on a website photo or description.

Go to the shelter, speak to the staff, explain the type of "personality" you're looking for in a cat (e.g., easy-going, affectionate, gentle) and let them help you. It may turn out that none of the current cats are a match for you. Don't worry, there are so many strays that new cats are probably brought to the shelter each week. Just keep going until you find one that you feel is right for you. Trust me, you'll know.

And, who knows, maybe this cat who's wandered into your life (I actually like the suggestion of the name "Rose" for her!) will turn out to be un-micorchipped and an orphan, and then you can just keep her. Once you've made sure she doesn't belong to someone else, that is.

by Anonymousreply 12109/20/2012

R112 its not Titanic. For one thing, there are too many decks. And too many life boat davits. Titanic had buff colored funnels, this one has red which makes me think its either a Cunard liner or a French Line ship. (more likely French Line) Titanic was not the only ship that had four stacks.

by Anonymousreply 12209/20/2012

The cat has chosen that chair because the colors of the upholstery complement the cat's fur. Cats hate to clash.

by Anonymousreply 12309/20/2012

I adopted a 12 year old cat from a shelter and all he will eat is Fancy Feast beef or salmon. No other flavors. My previous cat, who lived to be 20, ate Wellness and Weruva. I tried those for Charlie, plus Blue Buffalo, Merrik, Halo, basically, all of the grain-free premium brands. He also likes Friskies pate, but it makes him farty. So Fancy Feast it is. He's been through so much I am not going to mess with his food. Maybe next year. The vet said it's fine, and he recommends Fancy Feast when cats' appetites are off. Apparently, it tastes really good to cats.

by Anonymousreply 12409/20/2012

moist food is bad for the cat's teeth. I've had cats all my life and the cat with the least health problems is my most recent which is on an all-dry Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet.

by Anonymousreply 12509/20/2012

My cat won't eat wet food. When I gave him dry he developed a urinary track infection. Now he eats Purina One Special Care.

by Anonymousreply 12609/20/2012

My cats and raccoons are all Fancy Feast junkies.

I switched everyone to all-dry and then I saw a video of George Carlin talking about his cat getting dick cancer from an all-dry diet. I've gone back to wet & dry.

by Anonymousreply 12709/20/2012

R36 here. The stray cat I found outside my door last week had a partner, a black and white spotted cat, also I believe a stray. He looks to be in bad shape (matted fur, older looking) but he's not as friendly as the others. Won't let you get near. He eats the food I put out. The weather is getting colder and I don't think he has a home. I don't want him to suffer like the other cat who had a stroke. But after the first two, I don't think I can handle another emergency. It's hard for me to see them in pain. I would like to take this guy to the vet and have him checked out. But what would I do after he's been seen? Just put him back out in the yard for the Winter? I worry what his chances would be at a shelter. He's older and curmudgeonly. He might have to stay there. Still, even a shelter would be better than taking his chances outdoors this year.

by Anonymousreply 12809/20/2012

R75, I'm happy to tell you that the barbaric practice of de-clawing is not only unheard of in the UK, but also illegal, as is ear-cropping and tail-docking.

by Anonymousreply 12909/20/2012

R36 - R138, the sad truth is that he has NO chance of survival at any shelter except a strict no-kill one if he's unfriendly or unhealthy. He's actually better off if you take him to the vet if you can, give him a good solid feed afterwards, then put him back outside if he insists.

He can easily keep warm in a basement, crawlspace or other hideout through all but the most extreme weather, especially if you're feeding him. And you get an added bonus - your yard becomes his territory, keeping other strays from moving in. Eventually you might even coax him into the house (you'll want to have him tested for FELV and FIV before he's allowed to stay inside with other cats.)

by Anonymousreply 13009/20/2012

Tks R130. I set up a bed in a dry, hidden place for the last fatality. He used it. I wonder if I can find a way for this one to stay warm this winter by arranging access into my basement somehow. The house is alarmed during the week, but the basement isn't. I wonder if I left the basement door open a little it would help. Naa, not comfortable with that. I don't know. I even thought of buying a little kitty tent. Has anyone heard of these?

by Anonymousreply 13109/20/2012

Some cats naturally grow a much thicker coat of fur when they're cold. You'd be surprised how quickly it develops. The outdoor cats that live in my gated complex, sadly abandoned by other homeowners, all have their favorite spots to keep warm. Neighbors united to get them fixed, named, micro-chipped, and current on shots. They mooch from resident to resident, and are all fat and happy and warm and totally lazy.

by Anonymousreply 13209/20/2012

r131, I made a shelter for an outdoor cat that she used. She used to come out in the morning and sit on top waiting for me to arrive with breakfast. It reminded me of Snoopy on his doghouse.

To build the shelter I used:

2 large Rubbermaid storage bins, 1" styrofoam insulation, and straw or a blanket (straw actually keeps them warmer). I cut a front entry and a back escape hatch in case a predator was trying to get in.

Here's a link to an even easier way to do it:

by Anonymousreply 13309/20/2012

I love you r10. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 13409/20/2012

Still here, you're welcome - whatever you had for the last one will do again, just change the bedding. Access to the basement is perfect if you can, maybe an opening in a place too small for a person to get through. He'll find it, especially if you feed him there. And he'll drive off any mice down there for you too! Never heard of a kitty tent for outdoors, sorry.

On food, my vet says carefully chosen dry all the time is OK if fresh water is always available, as long as they know that wet IS food in case they get sick and need a special diet. I have an adoptee who won't eat wet food (or table scraps!) at all, apparently never learned to. I alternate dry types so they won't get too picky and use wet as an occasional treat.

OP, why not get some good catnip and see if your new friend is one of the lucky 50% who get off on it?

by Anonymousreply 13509/20/2012

r131, if you're not handy this might be an option:

by Anonymousreply 13609/20/2012

Hey Tks for all the tips. I don't know about leaving the basement open. Worried what else could get in there besides the cat. I love the idea of building a shelter with the straw and styrofoam. Or buying one of those tents. True about the fur. He looks well-insulated already. I will concentrate on making sure he has food and water and a warm shelter. Sorry to take attention from the thread. Appreciate the suggestions. (smile)

by Anonymousreply 13709/20/2012

I love this thread and the OP.

by Anonymousreply 13809/20/2012

[quote]It's a VERY affectionate cat. Very responsive. [italic]In fact it's me who's responding to her.[/italic]

You have discovered all you need to know about your relationship with Pussy.

by Anonymousreply 14009/20/2012

When I met my current cat at the shelter, she let me hold her in my arms like a baby for a long time. I was originally looking to adopt an older cat, but this youngin' won me over. However, as sweet and lovable as she is, once I brought her home, she never let me hold her again. She'll whine and wiggle to get out of my arms. I don't try to hold her anymore. But sometimes she will climb on my lap. Cats know how to win you over. She's a talker though. We can have endless dialogues. She has amazing human vocal nuance. I know what she is saying. The best cat in the world!!! Friendly with everyone! Even the vet(thank god a vet who makes house calls.)

by Anonymousreply 14109/20/2012

Sometimes my (now deceased) cat's vocalizations were incredible. She wasn't much of a talker, but when she did they were, generally, quite mews. But when she wanted to really get my attention, she could produce almost human-like sounds, some guttural others higher pitched. This would often happen when I got in the shower. She'd get panicky and go at it. If I taped her and tried hard, I could probably hear a word or two.

by Anonymousreply 14209/20/2012

Update please... how is Kitty doing?

by Anonymousreply 14309/20/2012

Name her "Honey Boo Boo!"

by Anonymousreply 14409/20/2012

OP's cat is a staruh!

More pics please.

by Anonymousreply 14509/20/2012

I don't think we'll hear from OP for a while. His last post was 5:00 a.m. local time, so he's probably sleeping now.

by Anonymousreply 14609/20/2012

He probably drove to Hackney and dropped it off there and sped off

by Anonymousreply 14709/20/2012

Is R147 Rebecca Brooks?

by Anonymousreply 14809/21/2012

Here's the UPDATE:

I stayed up most the night with her, napping on the sofa.

Put Puss out at about 7am and saw her trot off to the empty land behind the house (where the foxes live).

Came back last night very late. No sign of her, then heard her cat-er-walling at about 1am. Let her in for about an hour and then let her go. I was too exhausted to stay up again and didn't want to leave her downstairs. I wouldn't have slept.

Came back from lunch today and saw her hanging out in front of the next door house. When she saw me she followed me back into my place and hung out here until I went out, this evening.

She was much calmer. Slept a lot. Then, when I went out this evening, my BF said I should leave her in the house but I just don't know her well enough. So I put her out again.

I sent the pic to my next door neighbour at work and she says she's met the cat too and agreed she's a very sweet cat.

I think she might belong to the people opposite who had another cat who they neglected who tended to hang out in these houses as well (though not mine). They'd go away for months at at time and leave the cat. This summer, they left him again and someone found him and took him to the shelter and the (horrid) owners, we think have just replaced her with this cat, but we can't be sure yet.

What I'm wondering is:-

1. Can I leave her in the house when I go out? I just want her to get used to the place more first. Especially if she has a home opposite. This could be an issue.

2. She's been chewing on grass when she goes in the garden and then throws up on my rug. How do I get her to stop or should I just not let her into the garden.

I think, as I said before, I am going to call her Dav-eed-a. Dav-eed-a Scarsdale.

IMPORTANT: Thank you all very much for your help the other night. It was quite an experience and I felt a lot of support.

by Anonymousreply 14909/21/2012

OP, your cat has the BEST Drag name EVER!

by Anonymousreply 15009/21/2012

Take her to the vet Op.

by Anonymousreply 15109/21/2012

OP, Thank you for naming that wonderful, loving cat after me. Buy your new friend some kitty greens or grow your own. Kitties need roughage; it helps with their digestion. Wild cats eat grass which may be treated with chemicals. They will throw up hair balls, unless you brush them. Not all cats like it, however. Be very gentle.

by Anonymousreply 15209/21/2012

Thanks for your message D.R. I really appreciate it.

I'll take your advice and let you know how it goes.

by Anonymousreply 15309/21/2012

Interesting troll OP. I lol'ed (laughed out loud).

by Anonymousreply 15409/21/2012

op, try to get her to stay in the house more. Cats that are allowed to roam free outdoors face a lot of risks and hazards indoor cats don't.

by Anonymousreply 15509/21/2012

You could try leaving her for a little while but make sure you have a catbox that she can go in.

Great name!

by Anonymousreply 15609/21/2012

OP (original poster) you(OP) need to make (craft and or construct) some (several) found cat (feline) posters and put them up in your neighborhood (area in which you live.)

by Anonymousreply 15709/21/2012

OP, Cats eat grass so they will throw up. She might not be used to eating cat food and it's upsetting her stomach or she may have hairballs in her stomach that she can't digest and they are causing her pain so she's making herself throw up

by Anonymousreply 15809/21/2012

A very sweet cat walked into our home and lives several yrs. ago.We supplied needed medical care...grooming...a comfortable home...safety...and ALOT of love.......he is still here:)

by Anonymousreply 15909/22/2012

The cat's throwing up because of all the kitschy kitty comments on here.

by Anonymousreply 16009/22/2012

[quote]You could try leaving her for a little while but make sure you have a catbox that she can go in.

Good advice.

I don't think it's a good idea to go off for a whole 7 hrs and leave her here, locked in.

She popped in for breakfast this morning and then I let her go off through the front door and she trotted away quite happily. I think she's a very independent cat, which is great. I think we're just going to be good friends and that full adoption is out. This suits me fine.

by Anonymousreply 16109/22/2012

We had a cat show up on our driveway one evening. I got out of the car and she came up to me, purring for affection and ready to come in the house. Since we have two dogs, that was not an option, but I brought out a small can of tuna and some fresh water for her. She's been back a few more times, but taking her in is just not feasible for us.

by Anonymousreply 16209/22/2012

Our local animal columnist has mentioned a few times that two different households in a neighborhood can think they are the "owner" of the same cat - one thinks they let their cat out at night (he goes next door or wherever), then the next door neighbors think that they let their cat out during the day (when he goes back to the other house). Amusing.

by Anonymousreply 16309/22/2012

It's nice you took the kitty in, OP.

by Anonymousreply 16409/22/2012

[quote]Our local animal columnist has mentioned a few times that two different households in a neighborhood can think they are the "owner" of the same cat - one thinks they let their cat out at night (he goes next door or wherever), then the next door neighbors think that they let their cat out during the day (when he goes back to the other house). Amusing.

I think that's what's happening up here on Cat Hill. The only guy left now who appears to be homeless (or multi-homeless, ha ha) is the black and white guy who really doesn't like me. He let me know he's still here by showing up in my driveway and sitting there until I came home, like, "I'm still here buddy. Get the dry food. Stet!" Since then, he doesn't show up but eats all the food when I leave. This morning I got up late and he was waiting outside, didn't acknowledge me, ate the food, and then walked off the property without one look back or a 'thank you.' I know. Can cats like one sex and hate another? He responds affectionately to women only.

by Anonymousreply 16509/22/2012

R165, Maybe the cat was abused by a previous guy. Various neighbors feed the abandoned cats in my gated condo complex. The kitties all go from home to home and mooch. While they are all fixed, up to date with shots, and collectively named, they don't like being petted. When I moved into my condo, I was informed which cat "owned" my patio fence for his nighttime naps.

by Anonymousreply 16609/22/2012

Oh that's funny R166. There have been times the black and white cat has been a bit more pleasant. He (or she, not sure) seems to have stiffness in his rear legs and walks very slowly, but deliberately. He truly wants nothing to do with me but is completely in love with my neighbor, a lovely woman named Hannah who wants little to do with him. I don't know. I'm getting a complex. I'm doing all the work and getting none of the love!

OP, let us know how it works out with Davida Scarsdale. You might end up like me, not knowing if the cat has others to take care of him, and feeling obligated and worried to make sure he's taken care of. It's still feels like I've adopted a cat full time. I'm going to take the advice of the kind poster who posted the shelter recommendations for the wintertime just in case.

by Anonymousreply 16709/22/2012

A very nice possum just walked into my house last night and cornered himself in one of the rooms. At first I was scared shitless thinking how the hell would I get him out (and I could see he was also scared). I touched him with a long wooden stake and he wrapped his tail around it, I carried him outside and as soon as he saw himself out of the house he ran away.

by Anonymousreply 16809/22/2012

You just stole a cat?? I bet some little girl, or some boy 'mo his crying now, that Puff Puff will never come back.

by Anonymousreply 16909/22/2012

OP, the cat probably isn't homeless. She just comes to call on you and visit for a spell. It sounds like this is a win-win for both of you.

by Anonymousreply 17009/24/2012

I wonder if our London poster is familiar with our o'possum history. Too bad that thread's not resurrectable.

by Anonymousreply 17109/24/2012

How goes it, OP?

by Anonymousreply 17209/29/2012

"What should I do?..I only talk dog"

You made my day with that comment!

Don't worry about the cat she will take over and let you exactly what she want's to have done.

by Anonymousreply 17309/30/2012

Hey OP, still hoping for an update!

by Anonymousreply 17410/05/2012

Feral cats became such a problem in my city that they passed a law requiring all cats to be licensed and forbidding cat owners to let their cats trespass on other people's property without permission. Soon afterwards there was a visible increase in the number of rodents and rabbits in the neighborhood...followed by the appearance of coyotes. So any cats that happen to be abandoned in this vicinity are very seriously fucked, unless they manage to endear themselves to somebody willing to take them in tout suite.

by Anonymousreply 17510/05/2012

Hi, R174. It's nice you you remembered this.

Here's an edited version of the outcome.

Puss hung around for several more days. She was VERY needy and clingy and it worried me because I had to spend a lot of time at my BF's house who is very unwell at the moment and I felt I couldn't just leave her here for many hours at a time. Nor could I neglect my BF (I kept racing back to my house) so I could care for some stray cat. It became very depressing, actually. I had to keep pushing her out (her little sad face) when I went over to my BF's house. He (big cat lover) wanted me to keep her, but he also wanted me to be at his house.

So, I decided that the best thing would be that if puss continued to hang around I'd have to take her to the vet and/or the cat rescue place. I phoned a dozen places. Strange how people shut down when you mention the words 'stray cat'.

Anyway, after several more days, she just disappeared. Hopefully, she found her way home.

What I have learned from this is that I am not cut out for a pet at this time in my life, so I can stop pining for one.

Re-reading this thread, I'm amazed at the number of responses. It was quite a trip for me, this thread and sort of added to the drama of the whole thing. Chatting with so many people I couldn't actually see, who were being so supportive. Usually I just banter about movies and stuff on DL.

Most of all...many, many thanks for all the support. It was tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 17610/06/2012

Thanks for the update, r176. Hopefully she's home and happy. But do let us know if you see her again, okay?

by Anonymousreply 17710/06/2012
Need more help? Click Here.