Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm 54, single, live in NYC and highly educated.

I feel like I have one good big adventure left in me.

Should I try for one last long term relationship and see if it sticks? (I've had two - 5 and 12 years - and both were great. Both guys are still good friends of mine.) Or should I try to do something fantastic in my career and leave a professional legacy. I have an ivy phd, but I got it later in life, so there is no big book or big body of work, though I had a pretty successful career berfore the PhD.

Sorry, I'm not a multi-tasker in life. Just don't think I have it in me to do both.

I know I'm going to regret the one I didn't do on my deathbed. And I may not have that much time left anyway. Who knows.

by Anonymousreply 2511/25/2012

Have you met DL poster charlie?

by Anonymousreply 109/18/2012

What's the phd in? Academia's a crapshoot - go for dick instead.

by Anonymousreply 209/18/2012

"Who knows."

More to the point, who cares?

by Anonymousreply 309/18/2012

Leaving out what you studied is a big omission, OP. How can we form an opinion on the matter if we don't know this pivotal piece of information?

by Anonymousreply 409/18/2012

The challenge is I put on 25 lbs. finishing up the PhD, and I dont feel like I can get on the dating market until I take that off (I know...)

And my tendency is just to stay at home, work my ass off at my desk and computer, eat and feel lonely.

The career is safer, but more lonely.

Who is Charlie? My gradaute work is in sociology (media studies).

by Anonymousreply 509/18/2012

For a guy with an Ivy PhD, you do not sound like you have a lot of common sense or a very good take on how life works. Since when can you make a big career splash or have a relationship but not both- even more, since when can you count on your choice, career or relationship happening?

I wonder why you got the PhD?

I say go after whatever it is that you went to the bother of getting a PhD over. Relationships are not a premeditated choice as much as something that happens if you are open to people.

Do both and good luck.

Still, your's is an odd post in my opinion.

Are you Condi Rice or something?

by Anonymousreply 609/18/2012

[quote]leave a professional legacy

That just sounds fucking tragic. Once you're gone, no one cares about that shit, or how much time you spent at work.

by Anonymousreply 709/18/2012

Oh dear, have you been out of the loop in academia for more than 5 years? With media studies you might well be out of date and struggle to catch up in order to publish a book or some articles. Even then, if you want to make a mark with your work, that's like every fiction writer wanting to be JK Rowling. How many academics turn out to be Edward Said?

by Anonymousreply 809/18/2012

I am clearly not interested in being Ed Said. I knew him at the end of his life when he taught at Columbia and found him to be a roaring boar.

by Anonymousreply 909/18/2012

Get a blog.

by Anonymousreply 1009/18/2012

Whales, OP. Still time to save them.

by Anonymousreply 1109/18/2012

What sort of professional legacy do you want then that would be more fulfilling than a relationship?

by Anonymousreply 1209/18/2012

OP are you rich? Seems like media studies is one of those fields only rich people can indulge in.

by Anonymousreply 1309/18/2012

[quote]I feel like I have one good big adventure left in me.

Well there's your first problem.

by Anonymousreply 1409/18/2012

On the prospect of OP leaving a professional legacy...

[quote]That just sounds fucking tragic. Once you're gone, no one cares about that shit, or how much time you spent at work.

My thoughts exactly, R7.

Did OP never see the old geezer who comes back to the office where he was once the big man and flounders about, looking for someone, anyone whose face seems the least bit familiar. All the while he wants someone to tell him that, in his absence, the place has gone down the tubes when these things churn on regardless of personality and "legacy." He wants someone to tell him that his policy or his revolutionary finding or great innovation is the linchpin for all that has happened since, to this very day. In fact, he's been forgotten, his policies and wonderful innovations have been forgotten, and now he's just some old feeble dude who took a wrong turn.

If you want to leave a legacy, endow a library or a school or a museum, build a park, or write a novel or sculpt something that will endure for many generations. Professional legacies are as lasting as a gift pen set.

by Anonymousreply 1509/18/2012

OP --

Remember: you don't HAVE to do anything.

by Anonymousreply 1609/18/2012

A roaring boar?? Sounds dangerous!

Buy a Harley, OP. You won't regret it.

by Anonymousreply 1709/18/2012

P.S.- the "ivy" is kind of off. Ivy league PhDs have no advantage over many many PhDs from any number of Universities in the US.

Im my world, nutrition science and clinical nutrition, the premier school is Tufts- not an Ivy- although Cornell is up there.

by Anonymousreply 1809/18/2012

charlie, I thought your area of work involved running the Barbra Streisand Impersonators Convention.

by Anonymousreply 1909/18/2012

R18... your silly note about ivy being off shows more about you than you can imagine. Nobody who goes to an ivy school does it because they are trying to calibrate some financial "advantage" over some second tier school like Georgetown, UVa. or *cough* Tufts... except maybe some new rich or somebody trying to make a social leap. You just don't get it.

We go because we want the individual educational experience that tops the other educational experiences we have had and because those are environments we are comfortable in emotionally and physically as well as intellectually.

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 2009/18/2012

You're capable of having long-term relationships, OP. You have had a few already. Just keep doing what you have been doing. You should know that! You're Ivy! ;)

by Anonymousreply 2109/18/2012

Au contraire, R21. OP is obnoxious and sounds a little socially retarded.

And media studies? Really?

by Anonymousreply 2209/18/2012

Travel solo

by Anonymousreply 2309/18/2012

Oh lawd. r20 says it all.

/thread closed

by Anonymousreply 2409/18/2012

by Anonymousreply 2511/25/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!