Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Enlightened (Laura Dern) Season Two.

Apparently it will be returning in January! Yay!

Here's the preview.

by Anonymousreply 16203/21/2013

No one cares?

by Anonymousreply 109/19/2012

Love this show, can't wait for Season 2. I'm really curious to see how the story progresses.

by Anonymousreply 209/19/2012

I love this how but I have trouble imagining where it's going. Glad to see this clip. Looks interesting.

by Anonymousreply 309/19/2012

[quote]I love this how but I have trouble imagining where it's going.

Well, it looks like her war against her 'corporation' is going to heat up.

by Anonymousreply 409/19/2012

Last night's episode was BRILLIANT!

"What goes around, comes around."

by Anonymousreply 501/21/2013

No one's talking about the new series...why?

by Anonymousreply 601/27/2013

I love the name Cogentiva.

Actually, I like almost everything about the show, but it is a little uneven, sometimes the Laura Dern character is a study in an angry woman who had a breakdown, and went through anger management. Other times they just kind of forget that, and she's just a person in a corporation fighting the powers that be. They need to decide what kind of show it is.

But the acting and the directing and the atmosphere are all lovely. I love that house the mother lives in, and how sweet and desolate it is at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 701/27/2013

I watch it regularly. I think, aside from Dern's detoxing corporate destroyer plotline, it is also a smart critique of L.A. alienation (by way of Riverside). The episode that focused on Diane Ladd was excellent. I'd like to know more about Amy's family - I don't want Amy's personal story to get lost in the takedown of those pricks at Abbadon (*Hebrew for "destroy"), though that plotline is interesting too.

by Anonymousreply 801/27/2013

"Tell Tony that he's fuckin' disgusting and that his fuckin' farts smell like sulfur. I'm drowning in his fuckin' farts!"

by Anonymousreply 901/28/2013

Yet another episode that had me laughing my ass off at the beginning and then crying my eyes out at the end.

by Anonymousreply 1001/28/2013

Mike White really is a fantastic director/writer.

Last night's episode was wonderful. Luke Wilson surprised the hell out of me.

by Anonymousreply 1101/28/2013

I just can't see the public going with this much longer. I am a faithful viewer since the start. Last night was such a relief, I could not bear another episode of Laura Dern's annoying, unlikeable character. It's painful to watch her week after week. White is great as a director and writer. It is an intelligent show.

by Anonymousreply 1201/28/2013

I stopped watching halfway into season 1. DLizens, should I pick back up? I liked it but I was not compelled...the show felt like more of an assignment at times. I loved the voiceovers and the dickhead boss.

by Anonymousreply 1301/28/2013

I was afraid that the intro of the Dermot Mulroney character meant that Season 2 would be bogged down by a corporate intrigue/caper storyline. But last night's episode with Levi in Hawaii reassured me that this show will remain thoughtful and original.

I'm still sort of dreading the intro of Molly Shannon. Does Tyler really need a love interest? I want to know more about the people who work at Cogentiva including Dougie.

by Anonymousreply 1401/28/2013

Love this show! Really compelling television that is both hilarious and heartbreaking. Love Diane Ladd on this show, as well as all the others. Janice is one of the most fantastic villains ever and I wish they would show more of her. I also would like to know more about Connie, THE quintessential "frau" by DL standards.

by Anonymousreply 1501/28/2013

Is there anywhere you can see this online?

The last series someone posted a link, but I think the laws have tightened up since then and it's a real drag because I'm in England and it looks like they won't be broadcasting the second series here.

by Anonymousreply 1601/28/2013

Loved it last season and so far so good. It's funny to me, Amy is so righteous and then she just manipulates the hell out of Mike White's character. It's true Amy is annoying, hilarious, seriously flawed and totally human, by the end when she is doing her introspective voiceover, I can't help but like her. In the end she is a person who recognizes her flaws, realizes how unfair the world is and how powerless we are. It's beautiful, most of us are like her, we get up everyday, we try, we live and love. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 1701/28/2013

I wonder about Amy's voiceovers--is it the "current" Amy we're hearing? An older version of herself? An idealized version?

by Anonymousreply 1801/28/2013

I've watched one episode where a guy gets fired because a co-worker puts something on his computer to protect Laura Dern's character.

Is her character supposed to be mentally retarded? Because that's what took away from it.

by Anonymousreply 1901/28/2013

Yea R19, she was unrealistically slow on the uptake there. But no, she is not retarded just really focused!

by Anonymousreply 2001/28/2013

I never liked Levi until last night's episode.

by Anonymousreply 2101/28/2013

Here you go.

by Anonymousreply 2201/28/2013

Next week's episode is already up on HBOOnDemand. It's another winner. Dougie is fast on his way to becoming my favorite character.

by Anonymousreply 2301/28/2013

The Eli episode was excellent. It's weird how HBO claims Girls (Hags) is a hit, when it isn't - Enlightened seems to be getting better ratings, but is perceived as the underdog.

by Anonymousreply 2401/29/2013

It saddens me that almost everyone tries to get away from Amy. I hate that pregnant cunt Frau!

by Anonymousreply 2501/29/2013

It's the only show, maybe ever, where the voiceovers not only work, they're instrumental to the overall effect of the show. The voiceover, to me, is Amy's "god energy", that part of her that is above the fray, an emanation of the very best version of herself. The voiceover clues us into who Amy wishes she could be, if it weren't for her pesky humanness always getting in the way!

I love this show, despite the unevenness of the plots and motivations. I would much rather have an almost literary show without a clear TV through-line, then a slick show that has a great premise and logline, but offers nothing new or particularly profound.

by Anonymousreply 2601/29/2013

I am really impressed with Luke Wilson, he is a damn good actor. It's also nice to see Dermot Mulroney. He is still hot in a weathered way. He must be close to 50 now.

by Anonymousreply 2701/30/2013

I'm intrigued as to if they'll ever introduce the sister into the show. They've alluded to her and her "problems" on more than one occasion. Wonder who would play her.

by Anonymousreply 2801/30/2013

Agreed R27. I groaned to myself when I saw his name in the credits but he's killing it in this show. He reminds me of so many men I've known and that's a compliment. Very naturalistic. Is his character a failed baseball player? R28, you're right, I'd forgotten about her. Is she supposed to be younger or older?

by Anonymousreply 2901/30/2013

[29] I'm pretty sure the sister is supposed to be younger and I know she has kids because Helen refers to them in the episode where she runs into her old friend (played wonderfully by Barbara Barrie) at the supermarket. That was actually one of the most moving (and darkest) episodes.

by Anonymousreply 3001/31/2013

R30, yes it was. The Helen episode was dark and beautiful. I love this show!

by Anonymousreply 3101/31/2013

Every episode is like a great indie movie. Truly too good for tv. What the fuck is wrong with the Emmys?

by Anonymousreply 3201/31/2013

Did anyone else spot Amazing Racer Justin from "Team Zev and Justin" with a speaking part in the latest episode? He's still very cute. I guess he and Mike are friends from the show? Cool!

by Anonymousreply 3302/02/2013

Christopher Abbott (Charlie on ‘Girls’) who played Travis in the Eli rehab episode is fucking adorable.

by Anonymousreply 3402/02/2013

It was priceless when Amy was trying to get Twitter followers....

I love this show because it's so real. Fantastic acting.

by Anonymousreply 3502/04/2013

I'm disappointed with the new season.

I think it drags a lot. I'm getting fed up with the Amy Against the Big Bad World storyline.

The last series was more character driven. The episode with her girlfriend visiting, the one about her widowed mother, the trip away with her husband....they were superb.

Nothing this season compares...in fact, I'm surprised how quickly this thing has declined.

by Anonymousreply 3602/07/2013

R30, if you type an 'R' in front of the post number you are referencing, it creates a direct link to that post.

by Anonymousreply 3702/07/2013

r36 I fully disagree. The last two episodes were both fantastic in their own ways. Especially two weeks ago, the episode that focused on Luke Wilson. Superb.

by Anonymousreply 3802/07/2013

r38 I want to know what happened to Luke Wilson on the show. I have a feeling that the girl who took off with that random guy is going to end up raped and killed and maybe Levi will be called in about it.

Last night's show was sweet. I feel bad for Tyler as he is not used to just sleeping with people to further his agenda like Amy and Dougie may.

by Anonymousreply 3902/11/2013

I hope Luke is nominated for an emmy for his performance in the rehab episode.

by Anonymousreply 4002/11/2013

Another great episode with Mike White and Molly Shannon. So sad and beautiful. I love this show so much. Great moral conflict. This will not end well for Mike and Molly!

R34, I love Christopher Abbott what a dreamboat.

by Anonymousreply 4102/11/2013

One nice touch last night was Mike White's character talking about how many songs he'd downloaded -- 100,000 or more. But it never led to a discussion of music.

I knew an introverted nerd guy (actually dated him) who had the same thing going on -- "I've got 70 GB of music and 800 DVD copies on my hard drives." But he knew and cared nothing about music or movies; it was the collection that interested him.

by Anonymousreply 4202/11/2013

The last episode with Molly Shannon was brilliant. So poignant. I love her.

by Anonymousreply 4302/11/2013

I'm tickled that now I now my friend Julie's password.

by Anonymousreply 4402/11/2013

Last night was superb - Bravo, Mr. White. Brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 4502/11/2013

Wonderful writing on last night's show, as well as the performances from Molly Shannon and Mike White. White's voiceovers were almost poetry.

“Some pearls are never found. They hide under the sand on the ocean floor. No one knows they’re there, but the pearl knows.”

by Anonymousreply 4602/11/2013

I agree. That was a lovely episode. Molly Shannon was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 4702/11/2013

Also, agree, great episode.

I like these the best when they get inside the emotions of one character.

Here's M. White talking about it (this episode).

by Anonymousreply 4802/11/2013

I don't think I've even shilled a show in my life. But I do this show. I've told everyone I know and respect to watch it. It can be uneven, but when it's on, it's sublime. It reminds me of a more restrained Louie in that each episode feels like a mini-movie. I fucking love it.

by Anonymousreply 4902/11/2013

I'm man enough to admit the end with White's voice over had me in tears. Beautiful.

Why GIRLS get so much more attention really falls short on me.

by Anonymousreply 5002/12/2013

Such a great episode.

Wow, Mike White's character is WAAAAAY different than it was in Chuck & Buck!

by Anonymousreply 5102/12/2013

I agree that every ep of this season is like a mini movie. The look of this show is unlike any other on tv. The Luke Wilson ep was one of the best acted and written I've seen in ages. I can't for the life of me understand why the show that precedes it and which will go unspoken gets all the accolades and attention when it is virutally unwatchable this season. What the fuck are critics seeing when they watch it and what provokes them to endlessly trumpet it and its creator. Enlightened has positive critical consensus behind it but has no incessant buzz like the show who's name can't be spoken. Maybe if Mike White was 4'1" and 25 and exposed his deformed body and wore really hideous outfits his show could get on the cover of Entertainment Weekly too.

by Anonymousreply 5202/12/2013

I agree R52

by Anonymousreply 5302/12/2013

Love this show too!!!! I hope it wins a bunch of award and goes on for as many seasons as it wants to.....

by Anonymousreply 5402/12/2013

[quote]But no, she is not retarded just really focused!

Self-focused! The thing about Amy is that despite her very best intentions, she is selfish at heart. She wants to do good and give back, but only on her terms. Luke Wilson has some stunning moments. In season 1 after the camping trip, when he tells Amy to stop trying to save him, he gives on of the most concise and eloquent explanations of why an addict uses ever presented on TV.

The `Ghost`episode with Mike White and Molly Shannon was great. I`ve never seen a show that exposes human vulnerabilities in such a way.

by Anonymousreply 5502/12/2013

It's soooooo good. I'm really thankful that HBO is keeping it and no, I don't get why it's not winning awards.

by Anonymousreply 5602/12/2013

The problem is Laura Dern's character is so annoying that people won't give the show a chance. More focus on Wilson and White's characters would help.

by Anonymousreply 5702/12/2013

[quote]The problem is Laura Dern's character is so annoying that people won't give the show a chance.

Yet the ratings and the critics are good. I think the issue is that the show is not youth orientated. It's about adults.

by Anonymousreply 5802/12/2013

I get that Amy can be very unlikeable, but I think the key to getting to Amy is to listen to her voiceovers. That is the "True Amy", the Amy she aspires to be, the Amy that sees the world through a better filter than the Amy that acts selfishly and craves attentions and acclaim. That alone makes the show unlike any show on TV.

I don't understand why people haven't discovered this. And for the record, I love Girls, but it's an appetizer compared to this meal.

by Anonymousreply 5902/12/2013

This show continues to blow me away. Wonderful direction by Haynes tonight. The scene with Amy and her mother in the bedroom was heartbreaking.

And Luke Wilson continues to impress. Great acting all around. I think this was easily the show's best episode.

by Anonymousreply 6002/17/2013

Love the use of "Court and Spark" at the end of the last night's episode.

Wonder if Amy will go back with Luke W.'s character (forget his name on the show)

Laura Dern is a wonderful actor...way better than a lot of the children of famous actors (looking at you Gwyneth and Angelina)

Love came to my door With a sleeping roll And a madman's soul He thought for sure I'd seen him Dancing up a river in the dark Looking for a woman To court and spark

He was playing on the sidewalk For passing change When something strange happened Glory train passed through him So he buried the coins he made In People's Park And went looking for a woman To court and spark

It seemed like he read my mind He saw me mistrusting him And still acting kind He saw how I worried sometimes I worry sometimes

"All the guilty people," he said They've all seen the stain- On their daily bread On their christian names I cleared myself I sacrificed my blues And you could complete me I'd complete you

His eyes were the color of the sand And the sea And the more he talked to me The more he reached me But I couldn't let go of L.A. City of the fallen angels

by Anonymousreply 6102/18/2013

I wonder what the problem with Jeff will be. Seems like he could be bipolar or something. It won't end well for them.

by Anonymousreply 6202/18/2013

Maybe he's a whore or a phony or he will get killed...

by Anonymousreply 6302/18/2013

Wow the ending was incredible and the song. WTF! I only know a few Joni Mitchell songs and never really thought twice about her but that was beautiful.

I saw this episode a little stoned, sometimes it brings things to a whole different level and deeper meaning. I watched Girls first and it seemed a tad bit stupid, shallow, silly. Thoguh I still like it, maybe a bad episode. Shoshanna just seems ridiculous and poorly acted. Enlightened seemed even more beautiful than normal. What to say about? It's sublime.

by Anonymousreply 6402/18/2013

I love the show and Laura Dern's character is really very interesting. Reminds me of the phrase "the road to hell is paved in good intentions". I feel bad for her when she's constantly rejected by her work "friends" but I can understand exactly why they reject her. She believes herself to be doing good, but she doesn't seem to sense her own selfishness, her self-absorbtion and how it is such a turn-off to others. It's like she can't pick up on social cues.

by Anonymousreply 6502/18/2013

Last night's ending stayed with me. Bravo to Luke Wilson and Laura Dern. Levi looked so defeated.

by Anonymousreply 6602/18/2013

The part when Amy felt he was falling in love, stayed with me. It's often hard to capture in a film but they got it. Just right.

This series is at its best when dealing with human emotions.

This week's episode was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 6702/18/2013

What is this show about

by Anonymousreply 6802/18/2013

Sorry, I meant...when Amy felt SHE was falling in love stayed with me. It's often hard to capture in a film but they got it. Just right

by Anonymousreply 6902/18/2013

This is my favorite show on TV. Sure, I love mindless entertainment like The Walking Dead and AHS but Enlightened is the show that really touches my soul. Fantastic writing, brilliant acting and thought provoking. Can't wait till next week.

by Anonymousreply 7002/18/2013

The best show on TV. Period.

by Anonymousreply 7102/19/2013

I love the fact that the show maintains a visual style that captures the whole feel of the SoCal landscape. Very lanquid and dreamy but also creepy and menacing at the same time. This is best exemplified in the shots of Abbadon (sp?)and the interior of the basement corporate sweatshop of Cogentiva (again sp?). I love that Todd Haynes directed this ep since many of the previous episodes resemble the style and look of his films especially Safe.

by Anonymousreply 7202/19/2013

[quote]I love the fact that the show maintains a visual style that captures the whole feel of the SoCal landscape. Very lanquid and dreamy but also creepy and menacing at the same time.

Yes and slightly reminiscent of Six Feet Under.

by Anonymousreply 7302/19/2013

I still want to know what kind of roof her mom's house has.

by Anonymousreply 7402/19/2013

Love these comments- the SoCal landscape (reminiscent of 6 ft. under)- and who knew Luke Wilson was a great actor.

I loved the scene by the baseball park and Levi poured his heart out to Amy...

But {R67} I thought the baseball scene captured Amy's realization of Levi's falling in love w/Amy??

by Anonymousreply 7502/19/2013

I won't watch "Girls" - I think it is so subtly self-aggrandizing under a trite, obligatory film of self-deprecation that I can't watch it. I'll stick with "Enlightened". Maybe it is these characters' age, but the stakes seem much higher, although some of the situations appear deceivingly banal or subdued. I'm really not sure where this show is going but they only have two episodes left this season to get there!

by Anonymousreply 7602/19/2013

Tell me its been renewed

by Anonymousreply 7702/19/2013

Funny, R75. I was just thinking how the show's look made me think of SFU in this last episode, too. It never occurred to me before. I think Haynes did a beautiful job of really highlighting the location and making it another character.

by Anonymousreply 7802/19/2013

So many simple tiny moments to savor. For instance when Amy is having her panic attack and her mother hesitates before actually touching her.

by Anonymousreply 7902/19/2013

Seriously what is with the mom's roof? It's like a bunch of rocks.

It's definitely the best show on television right now. Those few seconds when Mike White was fixing Molly Shannon's hair were brilliant, and I teared up when Diane Ladd finally grabbed hold of Laura Dern. Ladd is an incredible actress. I also loved their conversation when the doorbell rang: "I don't have time for a fucking haircut."

It's kind of weird to think they're mother and daughter in real life because the portrayal is so real and dark. I would love to see their real-life interactions.

by Anonymousreply 8002/20/2013

It's my favorite show on TV. So heartbreaking and real. Bravo to everyone involved.

by Anonymousreply 8102/20/2013

[quote]Seriously what is with the mom's roof? It's like a bunch of rocks.

It's on a lot of older Southern California desert-area ranch homes -- I've heard it's for ballast and also that it reflects sun. Don't know what the truth is but it's a nice touch, since it's usually seen only on older houses and Diane Ladd's house is like a bell jar of outdated old-lady furniture. You can smell the stale air.

One thing I didn't get was when Amy came back from her walk with Levi, she saw Jeff's car in the driveway and freaked. But the side of the car we saw -- the right side -- seemed to have white blotches on it, like someone had thrown clumps of wet toilet paper at it. Later, when we saw the driver's side, it looked normal. Did I hallucinate that?

by Anonymousreply 8202/20/2013

oh my god I thought the same thing, like who vandalized his car?? I'm not certain, but I think it was her view of the car through a white flowering bush or tree.

by Anonymousreply 8302/20/2013

I love this show too and amazed it doesn't get the recognition it deserves. It's whimsical, poetic and poignant at times. The last scene where she sees Levi looking at her through the car window was heartbreaking ..., and the Joni Mitchell song at the end was perfect..

I hope this is not the last season. I want to see more of these characters.

by Anonymousreply 8402/20/2013

I thought the same thing but the ending scene show a white flowering bush, it was an illusion. I wonder if there is some weird meaning or foreshadowing going on? What the hell could it be?

by Anonymousreply 8502/20/2013

It was a nice touch to have Amy and Levi walk down the middle of the street instead of on the sidewalk. That's such a suburban teenager thing to do which these two clearly were and still sort of are with the whole "I wrote you a love letter since I can't say how I feel" thing.

by Anonymousreply 8602/20/2013

I know everyone was watching the Oscars, but last night's episode was so funny and good. Amy's desperation and hypocrisy has reached a boiling point.

by Anonymousreply 8702/25/2013

Agreed, beautiful episode. You just knew the journalist was going to be a dick.

by Anonymousreply 8802/25/2013

[quote]last night's episode was so funny

I never see what's funny about this show. I love the show. I find it poignant and intelligent... but never really 'funny'.

by Anonymousreply 8902/25/2013

I disliked Amy even more after last night's episode. She is a typical grandiose narcissist and cannot change. She will never learn from her mistakes and she will f-k over anyone, even her mom without remorse or pity.

by Anonymousreply 9002/25/2013

[quote]You just knew the journalist was going to be a dick.

I don't think he was a dick.

He just wasn't as into her as she was with him.

Also, he had a point. It wouldn't have looked good if he was seen to be in a relationship with the person who'd blown the lid off Avedon. The person who'd supplied him with all the information.

She's a mess and she's created another mess.

Sadly, next week's the last of this series.

by Anonymousreply 9102/25/2013

Oh, wow, it wasn't renewed?

by Anonymousreply 9202/25/2013

[quote] She is a typical grandiose narcissist and cannot change. She will never learn from her mistakes and she will f-k over anyone, even her mom without remorse or pity.

All that because she allowed herself to be tempted by a man in power and got dumped by her boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 9302/25/2013

I think r91 meant the last for this season (8 episodes). There's no indication that it hasn't been renewed yet.

by Anonymousreply 9402/25/2013

I found this episode very ironic.. It opens with Amy in a state of bliss and a renewed life.. She breaks up with Levi for the reporter. And then...the CEO she's going to destroy offers her the ultimate dream job. The man she thought would change her life turns out to be a real jerk.

I'm hoping this is not the last of the series. I really want to see more of these characters and what will happen next. Unfortunately, HBO hasn't said a word about renewal.

by Anonymousreply 9502/26/2013

[quote]And then...the CEO she's going to destroy offers her the ultimate dream job.

There's more to it than that. He allows her to be candid and then explains his position as company CEO and she realizes that not only is he human, he is actually listening, and that freaks her out. Even before he offers her the job she is going "WOW!" to what he is saying.

by Anonymousreply 9602/26/2013

But the reporter isn't grandiose or narcissistic or manic? He literally tells her that with her help, he's taking down the 6th worst company in the world. He didn't think it would look improper to be fucking his sole source for the article, before he stuck his dick in her? He's not thinking of the fallout for her at all. She'll be out of a job, probably forever, Levi appears to be done with her and all she'll have is her mom in that tomb of a house.

by Anonymousreply 9702/26/2013

I've seen two episodes. Intrigued, but not entirely impressed.

Does it get better?

by Anonymousreply 9802/26/2013

Look, the director framed the reporter in the breakup scene with a chopping block shaped like a pig nailed to the wall next to him, saying the word "pig", right over the sink. He's a pig. This show is all about reversals and it's stressing me the fuck out. I want the whistleblower story to be killed and I want Amy to somehow accumulate power at Abbadon - in season three.

by Anonymousreply 9902/26/2013

So does the season end with her losing everything? (Job, Levi, Reporter BF, 'Bigger-life' she wanted)? That would just suck!

by Anonymousreply 10002/28/2013

I really want to like this show. I have forced myself to watch 2 seasons, because I am trying to get over Amy's selfish and self-serving personality. She acts like she cares about people, but steps all over those that care about her. She couldn't care less about her mother and what her mother's life must be like or that her mother is even human. Her mother is there to support her narcissistic belief that she is a victim instead of someone who is also part of the "problem." I love the other characters on the show, because they seem real. Tyler is very real and compelling. Molly Shannon's character is also real. I love Levi. He is real in his pain and conflict. Unfortunately Amy's character does not seem real. It is a middle aged woman acting like a high school cheerleader. Dern has more to offer as an actor, so I don't understand why she plays such an air head. Life and businesses are complicated and the other characters reflect this, but Dern plays her character like someone in a high school drama class. This would make more sense if Amy was a kid in school, who doesn't understand the complexity of life.

by Anonymousreply 10103/03/2013

But I think that's the point r101. Even Levi seems to have more self-awareness and she thinks she is above him somehow. I love this show and am really loving to hate Amy at this point. It turns out she really didn't learn anything in her rehab after all, we were shown that last week. All she had to do was go after what she wanted (the new job Szidon created) with the same abandon she used to go after the 'evildoers' and she could have gotten where she wanted to be. Instead she used others and ultimately screwed herself. I wonder if she will have another angry breakdown. I am so looking forward to tonight and will miss this while it's on hiatus. I hope it is renewed, it better be if 'Girls' is.

by Anonymousreply 10203/03/2013

I adore this show. I so hope it is renewed. It is very much 50/50 according to Mike White. Probably more like 60/40 (more on the NOT side)... One more season would be wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 10303/03/2013

If they'd made it into an hour a week and really filled it out character-wise, it could have been the new Six Feet Under.

by Anonymousreply 10403/03/2013

[quote]All she had to do was go after what she wanted (the new job Szidon created) with the same abandon she used to go after the 'evildoers' and she could have gotten where she wanted to be.

And how could that happen since the story was already with the reporter? The only reason she even got the meeting was because of their hacking Eileen's hard drive.

by Anonymousreply 10503/03/2013

But r105 the only reason they had an in with Eileen was because Tyler vaguely knew her. He could have used his knowing her in the exact same way to set up the meeting and not done the hacking. Unless I am wrong, but isn't that how they had the in anyhow? From Tyler's knowing her? So she could have asked him to introduce them and gone about it that way.

by Anonymousreply 10603/03/2013

That was a great finale.

I just hope it's not the finale to the series.

by Anonymousreply 10703/03/2013

Kind of looked like a series finale and as such it was great. What a great series. Mike White and Laura set out to make some good message TV and they accomplished it. Looking forward to more Mike White, that guy is really really good.

by Anonymousreply 10803/03/2013

It sort of did feel like the Series finale. Hope it's not.

What a brilliant show!

by Anonymousreply 10903/03/2013

WHAT HAPPENED?

by Anonymousreply 11003/03/2013

r110 Watch it! It was good, I am going to watch it again because I was distracted. Pretty much what you think happens from last week's commercial.

by Anonymousreply 11103/03/2013

It was very good.

I hope HBO doesn't cheese out by saying "The last episode was perfect and wrapped up the series, so we're not bringing it back."

by Anonymousreply 11203/03/2013

I think this show just needs to catch on or to find its audience...it's the only show on tv that explores the existential angst and frustration of the 99%. (or the 47%).

I don't understand why HBO wouldn't renew, they're not dependent on ratings. AMC kept Mad Men even with low ratings and they're dependent on that. This is a very good show compared to the dribble that's True Blood. I thought HBO was all about quality and creativity. I'd be disappointed if they don't renew.

by Anonymousreply 11303/03/2013

Interesting ending. She reconnects with Levi, is hailed as a whistle blower in the press. Her mother is proud of her. She reconciles Tyler and Eileen... the series could end here.

by Anonymousreply 11403/03/2013

Someone over in the comments section at the AV Club posted this as ratings for the season.

Season 2 1. 300k 2. 200k 3. 250k 4. 200k 5. 220k 6 220k 7. 130k

by Anonymousreply 11503/03/2013

Thanks for the recap R114. So weird I care so much about fictional characters. I'm glad it worked out, actually, in case HBO gets stupid and cancels the series.

by Anonymousreply 11603/04/2013

[quote] Tyler vaguely knew her

He just knew she went to the same gym as him. He never had any reason to speak with her and even when he was pushed, he couldn't bring himself to do it. It took Douggie to speak with her and invite her out. The only reason they did was so that they could get into her hard drive.

The point to be made is that Amy could NOT have had the job she wanted if she hadn't engaged in her whistle blowing activities.

by Anonymousreply 11703/04/2013

Yes, it really did seem as if this was the final episode of the series.

by Anonymousreply 11803/04/2013

Yikes. Those ratings are even more dismal than the first. It was averaging something like 80,000 viewers in the key demo, which isn't even enough for a 0.1 rating.

Great, fantastic show. I didn't even feel sad that it was ending because it was so pitch perfect. Kind of like Arrested Development and The Comeback, which also ended perfectly.

I have no idea where they'd go if they brought it back - that's the mark of a terrific finale.

by Anonymousreply 11903/04/2013

The scene with the upprt managemrnt and HR was the best I have seen in any TV show or movie in a long time...

They MUST bring it back. Hell, I'll watch Laura Dern as Amy working at Starbucks...

Remember HBO cancelled The Comeback...

by Anonymousreply 12003/04/2013

I loved that final scene of the CEO going crazy at the elevator---he looked like Amy Jellico in the very first scene of the series.

White said he didn't know whether HBO was going to renew or not so he wrote it to give fitting closure for the characters unlike other series that ended abruptly. However, he had plenty of ideas of where to take the characters. He said he'd write about the drama in the courtroom when Abbadon files its civil suit again Amy. Most of the character would return like the reporter but also new characters like the legal team and Amy's long lost sister.

by Anonymousreply 12103/04/2013

The finale was incredible. Much better than last week. They have to keep this show going.

by Anonymousreply 12203/04/2013

It was great at the end when it seemed like Amy's mom was pleased when she was reading the news article about Amy.

At the final scene w.Amy- where was she? It did not look like she was in Riverside?

by Anonymousreply 12303/04/2013

The finale was incredible!!! Loved it!!

The CEO losing his cool was perfection. Love when AMy asks him "How much money is enough?". I can envision Shitt Rommey like that CEO - all cool and collected until someone goes against him. Those HR cunts can go to hell too!

Yes, they have captured the angst of the 99%.

I hope they do renew it, but if they don't the ending was nice closure. Glad Amy 'won' at the end.

by Anonymousreply 12403/04/2013

I laugh a lot at this show. I especially loved Tyler's "Are you fucking nuts?" when Amy suggested that he break into Szidon's office.

Also from the finale:

"You are, by far, the worst employee I've ever had."

"And you are the worst boss ever."

"We should keep in touch."

"Yeah!"

by Anonymousreply 12503/04/2013

Mike White is genius (take that David Russell).

And is dad is cute too.

by Anonymousreply 12603/04/2013

Long, interesting interview with Mike White at the link. He seems sort of "over" fighting for the show. I guess he can't be blamed for that. Maybe he has bigger/more compelling projects in the works.

by Anonymousreply 12703/04/2013

I loved when Dougie told the woman who played Gigi on The Comeback to not unpack her bikini if she went to Africa to do missionary work. I love this show (espcially since it cleanses the palate after the horrendous Girls)but also feel that this was the finale of the series itself. It kind of came on abruptly but it could end now and I would be fine with it. Mike White is genius. I was watching reruns of Freaks and Geeks and was reminded that he was one of the producers on that show. What an amzing career.

by Anonymousreply 12803/04/2013

The final scene was shot in Playa Vista, at The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf on Pacific Promenade. (Not sure how to type the reply thing) Amy's house is in Ladera Heights and Abadon is actually in Ventura. Levi's apartment is in Pasadena. The locations for the exterior shots in the series captured LA perfectly. I too hope this show comes back but if not it ended as a complete and perfect series. I think it is a small masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 12903/04/2013

Thanks R129. I was in Riverside yesterday and was looking for that Abbadon building ....no wonder I couldn't find it.

by Anonymousreply 13003/04/2013

also, r128 when Amy responds to the women when she says "I'll pray for you" - Amy, says she'll pray for women too. And the religious nut makes a funny face...like why would I need someone to pray for me.

funny and sublime!

by Anonymousreply 13103/04/2013

Loved Mike White since "Chuck & Buck" - loved his film with Molly Shannon "Year of the Dog." Just rented the dvd of this series this weekend (haven't watched it) because I don't have HBO.

by Anonymousreply 13203/04/2013

White said the reason the ratings are so low is because it is from a woman's point of view and men won't watch. The message of the struggling 99% against the 1% (rich or corporations) is a relevant theme nowadays. It should show Amy struggling while unemployed. But if they want to get more viewers, they could also make it a more ensemble show with the men offering their point of view. Dougie--who I found very entertaining despite his douchebag traits-- and Tyler will be both out of jobs too. I like to see how both men cope.

by Anonymousreply 13303/04/2013

I thought I would be ready to wrap up my involvement with this show, but after the finale, I'm really interested to see what would happen next, with Amy free of Abbadon, more involved with "the real world", getting her life back together. I could also get into a Dougie spin-off series - a douche with heart. It's weird how movies have become phony, alienating, militaristic sludge, while this HBO series moves me more than any movie I've seen in the past couple years. It is a movie - that's about sixteen hours long. Awesome.

by Anonymousreply 13403/04/2013

Excellent review at link, plus links to some other rapturous reviews:

by Anonymousreply 13503/04/2013

I'm not as impressed by Diane Ladd as a lot of people seem to be.

I think she's a tepid actress, at best and a big bore as a person.

by Anonymousreply 13603/04/2013

Did you see her solo episode R136? I saw plenty o' talent.

by Anonymousreply 13703/04/2013

Diane Ladd is sublime, she portrays her situation with a daughter she can barely love perfectly.

If the series ended with this finale I would be fine with it. Sad, but fine.

by Anonymousreply 13803/04/2013

The solo episode was great r137. So sad and poignant. I would be sad if this were the end too but satisfied like you r138.

by Anonymousreply 13903/04/2013

No! No! No! It can't be the end!

That stupid Girls show will go on but the best show since Breaking Bad MAY get canceled! I want to cut someone...

by Anonymousreply 14003/05/2013

As much as I liked this show, I think another season would be a mistake. What would happen? Finding another windmill for her to tilt at? Another corporation to take down? This show achieved a kind of perfection it would be difficult to duplicate. Felt the same way about The Comeback. Loved it for what it was, but wouldn't want to ruin the memories by seeing it wilt.

by Anonymousreply 14103/05/2013

I find it interesting that it is not filmed in Riverside. I guess that would make it too depressing?

by Anonymousreply 14203/05/2013

Best thing I've seen in years. Laura Dern's best work, maybe her mom's, too. Love, love Mike White so much better than Jack Black.

by Anonymousreply 14303/05/2013

That Luke Wilson moved into heavy hitter category playing Eli. No more frat comedy shit for him. His acting whipped all the other slick, phony Hwood douches into submission. Very real and moving.

by Anonymousreply 14403/05/2013

Did you notice when she went to see Levi to tell him she'd lost her job he said "Great you can hang out with me" and offered her a beer? I guess his rehab didn't stick either. I loved that Molly Shannon went back to Mike White and that Jeff asked Amy to come over and she said no. The look of pride on Dianne Ladd's face was perfect. It was a good series finale but I WOULD LOVE TO SEE MORE of these characters. The trial would be a rich pile of material as would introducing the sister.

by Anonymousreply 14503/05/2013

HBO can't fuck up again a la The Comeback. One more season of this would be great. Each ep is a series of little moments that add up to a completely compelling and emotional whole. There is no other show like this and for that reason I hope to see more.

by Anonymousreply 14603/05/2013

I am only through episode 4 of the season two. Amy is so cringeworthy, I am constantly embarrassed for her. I love her mother and her ex husband though. I feel sorry for Mike White's character, Amy is such a pest.

by Anonymousreply 14703/09/2013

[quote]Did you notice when she went to see Levi to tell him she'd lost her job he said "Great you can hang out with me" and offered her a beer? I guess his rehab didn't stick either.

It seems that their rehab didn't include alcohol. Amy drinks wine with no qualms.

by Anonymousreply 14803/10/2013

R147, this why HBO should bring this show back and make it more of an ensemble show. I want to see more of Dougie, Tyler, Levi and even Molly Shannon's characters and their POVs. Also Dylan McDermott.

by Anonymousreply 14903/10/2013

It's official! Cancelled. Not enough Vampires, tits and shit jokes.

by Anonymousreply 15003/19/2013

I am satisfied with the way the series ended. Would have loved to see another season but it went out perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 15103/20/2013

I've been moved to tears many times watching his show, in season 1 and 2. I enjoyed it very much.

by Anonymousreply 15203/20/2013

Fucking so stupid. It's the best show on TV.

by Anonymousreply 15303/20/2013

And they're keeping that anachronistic "Game of Thrones" shit.

by Anonymousreply 15403/20/2013

"well, if caring about something other than money is dopey, I'm a fucking moron. and the only thing i feel right now is satisfaction."

thanks for that, mike white! and laura dern!

by Anonymousreply 15503/20/2013

I'm ready for an Enlightened feature. If it can be done for Veronica fucking Mars, it can be done for Enlightened.

by Anonymousreply 15603/20/2013

I'm glad the season didn't end with a cliff hanger.

by Anonymousreply 15703/20/2013

Krista (pregnant one) and Janice (the bitchy brunette) are so like my coworkers, what bitches.

by Anonymousreply 15803/20/2013

Sometimes it's best to go out at the top.

I eagerly await Mike White's next project.

by Anonymousreply 15903/20/2013

Fucking HBO.

by Anonymousreply 16003/20/2013

Agree Laura Dern's coworkers are very typical of office workers. I see people like them every day. Asskissing boring phony people!

by Anonymousreply 16103/21/2013

I liked the workers in the basement. I wish they'd kept the trolly looking woman from season one. One look from her and I died laughing. She was so unusual looking, I hope she wasn't sick.

by Anonymousreply 16203/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.