Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Boardwalk Empire, 9/16/2012, Season premiere: "Resolution"

Nucky's and Margaret's marriage has taken a bigturns since Margaret gave the land to the church. Gillian raises Jimmy's son, and Richard is afraid to tell the truth. And there's a new Sicilian psychopath in town: Bobby Cannavale.

by Anonymousreply 16312/07/2012

The actor who plays and sings Eddie Cantor is terrific, although his thighs were clearly too muscular underneath his pants (woof!) to be authentically period.

by Anonymousreply 109/16/2012

I feel like they're kind of stuck in a evolving door. The Bobby Cannavale character is this season's new mob psychopath, much the way they used to have a new mob psychopath each season to go against Tony Soprano on "The Sopranos."

I still think Kelly McDonald is a superb actress, and I like the ending of the episode gave the suggestion she's looking to new things.

by Anonymousreply 209/16/2012

Was the tinman working to settle his own scores tonight, or was he following someone's orders? Is he working for Nucky?

by Anonymousreply 309/16/2012

So much constant senseless violence. It's really off-putting.

I was very worried for the little dog.

by Anonymousreply 409/16/2012

r3, the show runner Terence Winter said in the after-show commentary that looking at the painting by Angela (Jimmy's wife) and realizing Gretchen Mol was trying to erase her memory made the Tin Man realize he had to avenge her death by killing Manny.

I think they could have made that clearer in the episode itself.

by Anonymousreply 509/16/2012

Thanks for that, r5. I had completely forgotten that it was Manny who killed Angela.

So Gillian now runs a whorehouse. I guess the Tin Man is a bouncer? The Van Alden storyline is quite interesting. He will likely become a gangster himself.

And Knucky is cheating on Margaret.

by Anonymousreply 609/17/2012

I must have been out to lunch -- when did Manny kill Angela? I don't recall that at all, last season.

by Anonymousreply 709/17/2012

Manny wanted to kill Jimmy, but found and murdered his bisexual wife and her girlfriend instead.

Richard Harrow loved Angela and trusted her to draw him without his mask. It was a beautiful scene.

It was only a matter of time before Richard killed Manny in revenge.

by Anonymousreply 809/17/2012

I've seen both seasons and I'll download the third as well, even though I think it's overly violent and overly impressed with itself. The period detail and acting is generally great though.

Does anyone else hate that blaring, ham-handed theme? I thought it was a generic rock instrumental recorded for the show, but it's actual by some lame band that's a favorite of the show's creator. And of course no one was going to tell him his taste sucks. HBO should've, though.

by Anonymousreply 909/17/2012

The actress that plays Margaret does a good job of being annoying.

by Anonymousreply 1009/17/2012

I agree, that Margaret bitch sucks, my least favorite cast member.

by Anonymousreply 1109/17/2012

I'm intrigued by Van Alden's character and I can't wait to see how he evolves into a bad guy.

Richard should kill Jimmy's mother, that bitch is going to fuckup her grandson.

by Anonymousreply 1209/17/2012

[quote]I feel like they're kind of stuck in a evolving door

Oh dear.

[quote]Richard should kill Jimmy's mother, that bitch is going to fuckup her grandson.

Why would he know what Jimmy's mother did to him? He'd have no reason to take the kid. Besides, I doubt hitmen are in the habit of raising orphans -- this isn't some buddy comedy.

by Anonymousreply 1309/17/2012

Anyone else's jaw drop with the contrivance of Van Alden showing up at the florist?

by Anonymousreply 1409/17/2012

The fact that Gillian is trying to pretend Tommy never had a mother and father and that Grandma is his mommy is already enough to fuck that kid up.

It also seems like Richard spends the bulk of his time with the kid while Gillian runs her whorehouse.

by Anonymousreply 1509/17/2012

I agree r14 -- it was totally unbelievable that Van Alden would inadvertently end up saving the florist from getting killed by Al Capone. Otherwise, I thought it was a good episode.

by Anonymousreply 1609/17/2012

"Anyone else's jaw drop with the contrivance of Van Alden showing up at the florist?"

Agreed. Right place at the exact right time... not very realistic.

by Anonymousreply 1709/17/2012

Sets and costumes are fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 1809/17/2012

There's no way I'm going to be able to watch the that scene chewing Bobby Cavalarri (or however the fuck you spell his name).

Was it totally necessary to litter the show with sitcom trash? Both the actor and the character are already so over the top that it's absurd and this was only the first episode. I see myself FF'ing through every scene this guy is in.

(And isn't he on Nurse Jackie also? How the hell is he able to star on both Showtime and HBO? Good agent I suppose. Horrible actor but good agent.)

by Anonymousreply 1909/17/2012

It was a jaw dropping contrivance that Van Alden showed up at the one particular florist at all, let alone just in time to prevent an Al Capone hit.

by Anonymousreply 2009/17/2012

Well, you kind of knew he would end up involved with Al Capone once they announced he was in Cicero, Illinois in the season finale.

I think the lose of Jimmy makes Nucky feel less of a human, 3 dimensional character and more like a typical villain. And not sold on Bobby Canavale's character as a 'replacement'.

by Anonymousreply 2109/17/2012

Remember, Van Alden was an FBI guy who dealt with bootleggers and other criminals, so the fact he'd catch-on very quickly to what the florist mobster was needing wasn't such a stretch. I found it more odd that a florist would be open that late on New Years Eve.

And again, I'm disgusted that Bobby Cannavale has popped up on this show with this hamfisted scene chewing. The scene with him killing the guy who stopped to help with the tire was ridiculous. They could have at least written a line for the guy to deliver which MAY have justified such a violent outburst.

by Anonymousreply 2209/17/2012

Cannavale looks like a cartoon character. Disappointing premier.

by Anonymousreply 2309/17/2012

R13 Read what R15 wrote.

Richard can sense that something is off about Gillian by her actions.

Richard loved Angela and he cared about Jimmy and he knew that she was a good person and mother and he knew that Jimmy was a broken man so it's not too hard for him to put two and two together.

Plus he knew that Gillian poisoned Jimmy's father and allowed Jimmy to kill his father to appease his mother.

by Anonymousreply 2409/17/2012

I fast-forwarded through the opening scene...once you saw the little dog, you knew someone was going to die.

Plus, I got to miss the opening music.

by Anonymousreply 2509/17/2012

Thanks r8. I had forgotten all about that. Yes, it was beautiful watching Richard baring his face/soul for Angela. I think the screaming rock theme is meant to shout -- This may be period but it's just like "The Sopranos," dammit. The opening scene could have been ripped from that series.

by Anonymousreply 2609/18/2012

These threads had many more responses during the first couple of seasons. Now, two days after the premier, barely 27 people here.

Might this be an indicator that the show isn't doing so well?

If it tanks, I'm blaming Bobby Cannavale.

by Anonymousreply 2709/18/2012

They shouldn't have fired Michael Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 2809/18/2012

What seemed most unbelievable to me was that Lucky Luciano and the other mobsters would tolerate the Cannavale character insulting them so grotesquely right to their faces. Why would people like that--who we've seen in previous seasons are incredible hotheads--stand for that?

by Anonymousreply 2909/18/2012

Could we please have an overall 'Official' Boardwalk Empire Season 3 thread, as I don't think each episode is going to get enough replies to warrant a separate thread?

by Anonymousreply 3009/18/2012

[quote]Well, you kind of knew he would end up involved with Al Capone once they announced he was in Cicero, Illinois in the season finale.

The florist is Dean O'Banion, Capone's and Torrio's Irish rival. I suspect Van Alden is going to end up involved with him.

by Anonymousreply 3109/18/2012

I think Van Alden is going to become a gangster due to his current financial hardships, I believe that he will be crucial since he worked for the government specifically targeting the mob, so he has a lot of inside knowledge already.

I don't care for the new guy Cannavle.

by Anonymousreply 3209/18/2012

What do you wanna bet Cannavale's character is extravagantly killed off by this season's penultimate episode?

by Anonymousreply 3309/18/2012

r9 it drives me insane! It is utterly unsuitable for the theme of this sort of show.

I agree with r28 - mistake to fire Pitt as it turns out. I thought the Cannavale stuff was very ham-fisted and really overdone in terms of violence.

Still like Jack Huston and Kelly MacDonald. Van Alden is such a compelling character, largely thanks to Michael Sheen.

by Anonymousreply 3409/18/2012

That would be Michael Shannon, no doubt?

I keep waiting for Joey Pantoliano to show up.

by Anonymousreply 3509/18/2012

I don't think that Jimmy's character was supposed to be killed off originally.

They fired M. Pitt because it's rumored that he had a substance abuse issue and was a royal pain in the ass on the set. I think that his character was essential to create making the villains more dimensional and like able.

by Anonymousreply 3609/18/2012

Is it me or are the Italians in Boardwalk Empire always dumb and without much dignity?

Since season one, replace most of the Italians characters who are too dumb to deserve to stay alive by Afro-Americans, Irish, etc., and you would have people protest.

Besides,in the bootleg industry, one has to be at least clever and discreet to stay on top. What gives?

That said, the rest of the plot is complex and involving.

by Anonymousreply 3709/18/2012

Yes, your pedantry is spot on. I like both Sheen and Shannon and it has been a very long day.

Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 3809/18/2012

Pitt was an absolute horror to work with. He kept everyone waiting, he was constantly strung out on booze and coke, he was dirty and smelled like vomit, and he respected no one. Killing off his ass wasn't in the original plan, but as time went on, the problem had to be resolved. BANG.

by Anonymousreply 3909/18/2012

I hear he's gay to boot...

by Anonymousreply 4009/18/2012

R38? Who's pedantry? What?

by Anonymousreply 4109/18/2012

what the fuck does Michael Pitt's sexuality have to do with anything r40?

I had heard he was a nightmare on set.

Shame, really as I quite liked him in the role. However, he could never quite remember which foot he was supposed to favour with his war injury (even from the pilot ep)

by Anonymousreply 4209/18/2012

r35 I made a mistake and referred to M Shannon as Sheen

by Anonymousreply 4309/18/2012

Jimmy's character served a major purpose on this show to humanize Nucky and make him somebody that you could root for.

Bobby Canavale as a replacement character doesn't really work for me. He's not even a character. He just seems like a plot device.

by Anonymousreply 4409/18/2012

Yes, he is Bobby Carnivale (as a now deleted thread once described him) - in town for a while to entertain/distract and gone before before the season is over.

by Anonymousreply 4509/18/2012

I am just completely surprised other gay men somehow find Michae Pitt attractive.

This is his chosen portrait of himself for his imdb page. I think his facial features are repellant. He looks like he's mentally challenged.

I cannot understand anyone finding this man attractive at all.

by Anonymousreply 4609/18/2012

Where did this gossip about Michael Pitt being a drug abuser come from? datalounge insiders? He was so gorgeous and wonderful actor...i miss him already....

by Anonymousreply 4709/18/2012

Please, PLEASE.. SOMEBODY make Bobby Cannavale go the fuck away already.

by Anonymousreply 4809/19/2012

R47, look at the pic at R46. Pinhole pupils

by Anonymousreply 4909/19/2012

R46, that is an odd photo, especially one to select as "official"

by Anonymousreply 5009/19/2012

I had no idea actors even chose their 'official' picture on IMDB.

by Anonymousreply 5109/19/2012

They don't, R51.

R46, in an attempt to make a point, melodramatically claimed actors are trolling the web attempting to change their photos and drive which random press-supplied headshot shows up on random websites.

by Anonymousreply 5209/19/2012

More on Pitt please.

by Anonymousreply 5309/19/2012

Love the look of the show but cannot stand Steve Buscemi (sp), the man creeps me out big time

by Anonymousreply 5409/19/2012

I have always been a Buscemi fan but am puzzled as to why he gets accolades for his role here and I also think he is miscast.

by Anonymousreply 5509/20/2012

I'm enjoying the series. Bobby Cannavale is getting ready for Broadway in the Al Pacino role in GlenGarry GlenRoss. Pacino will take on the role of the old guy Shelly as played by Jack Lemon in the movie. I don't expect his character in Boardwalk Empire to have much of an arch.

I didn'd read the wiki link, but if I'm not mistaken O'Bannion the Florist was eventually killed by Capone, right? What I like about the series, in addition to the fine acting, is the meticulous adherence to historical events and characters. A lot of these people are real. This reminds me a little bit of Ragtime.

by Anonymousreply 5609/20/2012

[quote]Where did this gossip about Michael Pitt being a drug abuser come from? datalounge insiders? He was so gorgeous and wonderful actor...i miss him already.

Yes, r47, there was a DL insider who dished on Pitt's drug problem and the problems he was causing on set. Shame. I liked Pitt too.

by Anonymousreply 5709/20/2012

[quote], is the meticulous adherence to historical events and characters.

Except that Knucky Thompson remained unmarried throughout the 1920s, did have a live-in GF who was a chorus girl and married her while he was in prison a decade or so later.

by Anonymousreply 5809/20/2012

Whoa look at the photo link at [R46]- those pupils are pinpoints? hopefully it is the sun... oh well...

by Anonymousreply 5909/20/2012

Is Bobby Cannavale's character based on a real person?

by Anonymousreply 6009/28/2012

[/quote]Is Bobby Cannavale's character based on a real person?

Yes: On Bobby Cannavale and his historically bad acting and iconic scene chewing.

by Anonymousreply 6109/28/2012

R58-Nucky's last name was never Thompson. His actual last name was changed to Thompson prior to the first day of shooting of the pilot episode.

Family complications or some such nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 6210/01/2012

Not sure where people are getting the idea that Cannavale's character is a replacement for Michael Pitt. If anyone feels like a replacement for Jimmy it's the Irish guy played by Charlie Cox -- I knew Pitt was a goner as soon as he was introduced last year.

The problem is, several of the characters were tied in to the action through Jimmy -- Gretchen Mol, the tin man, even Capone.

by Anonymousreply 6310/01/2012

Bobby Cannavale's acting has a heavy touch. It would serve him well to come in on an off day and quietly observe Jack Huston's work.

by Anonymousreply 6410/01/2012

I think Mrs. Nuckie is going to get it on with that young Doctor who wants her to open the women's clinic. You can tell they're flirting.

I was surprised she didn't get killed for giving away the land. I would have certainly expected Nuckie to get the monsignor and lock him in a basement with some goons to return the deed as if it had never happened.

It was a huge parcel of very valuable real estate. Worth millions even back then. I don't think his repsonse was sufficient to the magnitude of her betrayal.

The series does seem to accurately depict the "bargaining" Catholics do with the Church. The scene last night with the Bishop giving reluctant permission to educate women about pre-natal care was very telling. How does the Catholic Church survive with these conservative assholes in charge?

by Anonymousreply 6510/01/2012

[quote]Nucky's last name was never Thompson. His actual last name was changed to Thompson prior to the first day of shooting of the pilot episode.

Indeed, his name was Knucky Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 6610/08/2012

After watching last night's episode, I have to say I'm finding the show rather tedious. Beautiful sets and costumes but the storyline is sadly dull and lacking. Gyp Rosetti is a cartoon vilain, a cheap one-dimensional knock off of Ralphie from the Sopranos. Knucky himself has just become this cold fish vilain, despite these nightmares. It reeks of unoriginality.

by Anonymousreply 6710/08/2012

I watch for Michael Shannon. I find him electrifying.

by Anonymousreply 6810/08/2012

The show is always rather tedious, yet I always watch it. I find it a bit confusing. I am not quite sure why Nucky did it Eddie Haskell. I kind of like the dead marriage between the Thompsons. I do find the storyline overall a bit aimless.

On the irrelevant side, I find Michael Stuhlbarg, who plays Rothstein, inexplicably sexy. Is he family?

by Anonymousreply 6910/08/2012

I suppose it is for budgetary reasons but I am tired of certain characters not appearing in some episodes. It is making the show move in fits and starts, only seeing Van Alden every other week, as an example.

by Anonymousreply 7010/09/2012

I like the show. I thought this last episode with Capone and his deaf son was heartbreaking, and I am loving the Irish guy that is Nuckie's #2. Owen?

The Oct. 7th episode was good on a number of levels and you gotta wonder what is going to happen now that there's been an ambush.

by Anonymousreply 7110/09/2012

Charlie Cox, who plays Owen, is just breathtakingly beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 7210/09/2012

Nice shots of his bare ass in bed in this episode, too :)

by Anonymousreply 7310/09/2012

Are we to assume the giggling guy was killed in the ambush?

by Anonymousreply 7410/09/2012

I doubt it. When they kill off Paul Sparks, it's going to be in a flashy, spectacular manner. He deserves more than to be killed off-camera.

by Anonymousreply 7510/09/2012

Did anyone else think the show was setting up that kid Rowland to be the new Jimmy?

by Anonymousreply 7610/10/2012

The Giggler makes me laugh every time he talks.

by Anonymousreply 7710/10/2012

I did, R76. I was most disappointed when that turned out not to be the case. That character/actor was the bright spot in an otherwise stupendously dull episode. Getting rid of him was a missed opportunity, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 7810/10/2012

I thought the sheriffs were getting together to shoot Bobby Cannavale's gang because he killed that fat sheriff. I don't think we really know who ambushed Nucky's guy's.

by Anonymousreply 7910/10/2012

I can't stand the Giggler. I want him to get offed.

The show has really been a mess this season. I've been surprised that without Michael Pitt (whom I thought was much less sexy than everyone else here did, and fine if not thrilling as an actor) how much it has lost focus. It's so hard to care about Nucky because he's so cold, and this season Margaret comes across as somewhat too virtuous. (I like her when she's willing to bend the rules to get what she wants.)

I definitely agree that the Michael Cannavale character is a disaster and comes off far too much like Richie Aprile from "The Sopranos." Like the Giggler, he's someone I just want to see killed because he's so annoying on screen.

by Anonymousreply 8010/10/2012

The show does seem to have lost its heart with the elimination of the Jimmy story. I also miss the boardwalk/beach setting, and am tired of seeing that town in New Jersey with the gas pumps. It's become more of a typical gangster show.

by Anonymousreply 8110/11/2012

I've begun to just fast forward through any scene Bobby Cannavale is in. How the hell does this buffoon find work and is he embarrassed to walk down the street and be recognized as such a laughable actor?

They're forcing the Nucky-as-a-cold-mob-boss thing. It isn't evolving so what we get is Nucky now offing people in cold, ruthless ways... cut to Nucky's stone-cold stare. It's just not working and until now, he's been portrayed as much to clever and hands-clean of that sort of thing. Now, suddenly, he's killing teenage bootleggers?

I wish to see the beautiful Irishman fully naked, hole spread out for me... I would write poems for that guy.

by Anonymousreply 8210/11/2012

Buscemi's performance consists of him saying something in a clipped monotone, then pursing his lips over those crooked teeth. But because he is unique-looking and comes from indie film, he gets Emmy nominations.

by Anonymousreply 8310/12/2012

Say what you will about Bobby Cannavale, but he's got a big dick and he was flashing it around in the last episode.

I can forgive a lot in light of that.

by Anonymousreply 8410/27/2012

Oh, and I'm an idiotic, moronic simpleton also!

by Anonymousreply 8510/27/2012

This show really needs Michael Pitt. There's nothing holding the storylines together, especially Gillian and the Tin Man. It's like they're on their own separate show.

And the Cannavale arc is just tiring. You know he's going to die by season's end and Nucky will reign supreme again, so what's the point.

by Anonymousreply 8610/27/2012

I'm bored with Broadwalk.

by Anonymousreply 8710/27/2012

Tonight's episode was somewhat interesting but whoever is writing/directing the Rosetti character should be fired.

by Anonymousreply 8810/29/2012

Last nights episode was painfully slow.

Nucky and Margret are done :(

Gillian is scarier than any pissed off mobster.

by Anonymousreply 8910/29/2012

I can't believe Gretchen Mol's character murdered that hunk with the sweet ass!!!!

by Anonymousreply 9010/29/2012

[quote] This show really needs Michael Pitt. There's nothing holding the storylines together, especially Gillian and the Tin Man. It's like they're on their own separate show.

This pretty much nails it for how I feel. I still watch but it's not as compelling as it once was. If I was playing catch up on dvd as opposed to watching it once a week, I wouldn't be chomping at the bit to put on the next episode.

by Anonymousreply 9111/01/2012

I liked this episode showing the different Easter dinners and family interactions. But the show really needs the Michael Pitt character back. He really held the show together...

by Anonymousreply 9211/01/2012

I thought that was Rosetti's sisters, mother, and grandma at the dinner....psycho family.

by Anonymousreply 9311/01/2012

Bump for George going postal on some asshole with a steam iron.

by Anonymousreply 9411/10/2012

Uhhh, that was definitely a butt double for Charlie Cox three episodes back.

I liked the actress who played Billie. Shame she went bye bye.

I really doubt that Nucky would have been able to lean on Eddie Cantor to drop out of a contact to go into Billie's show. Cantor was too big a star by then.

by Anonymousreply 9511/10/2012

The show is becoming a cartoon version of what it could have been.

by Anonymousreply 9611/12/2012

Yes, but I'm in love with the Irish. I have feelings of dread about him because he's shtupping the boss's wife, and yet I love him.

Gillian is scarey. She even has a scarey voice. I love her. Evil. She reminds me of Kathy from "East of Eden." Steinbeck. Read it.

by Anonymousreply 9711/12/2012

Love this show and hope it keeps racking up Emmys and Golden Globes (wait, has it won any GGs yet?)

That said, I still cant suffer Bobby Cannavale's character. This hammy asshole can't die off soon enough for me. Honestly, how does this guy get work with the way he delivers lines like "Dey gonna cawl yew KINNNG Joe..." and "I gotta gun, he gotta gun, EVER'BODY gotta gun!"

Kill him.. NOW.

by Anonymousreply 9811/13/2012

This show is boring now. I just can't feel anything for Nucky and his war with the hammy, uber annoying Bobby Cannavale.

[quote]Honestly, how does this guy get work with the way he delivers lines like "Dey gonna cawl yew KINNNG Joe..." and "I gotta gun, he gotta gun, EVER'BODY gotta gun!"

It's terrible!

And if they don't know what to do with Gillian and Richard beyond having them mope around that dumb whorehouse than kill them off.

by Anonymousreply 9911/17/2012

The show is still great but it's been very slow in character development this season and its begging to get boring.

I loath Bobby's character, it's not working on any level and I wish they could bring back Jimmy.

by Anonymousreply 10011/17/2012

I think I'm enjoying it more this year than any other year, but I guess some of you are hard to please. Have you SEEN the other shit on HBO and Showtime lately? I have and it all makes this look like a fucking masterpiece even if it is far from it. I mean, TREME? HOMELAND? So many others are way worse than this has ever been on its worst day. I wouldn't be surprised if Cannavale is nominated for awards for his work, as hammy as it may be, so not sure why you all hate him so much. Vincent Piazza is also doing very well with his role this year, I think. Charlie Cox is a pretty good addition, too. That said, I don't know where they are planning on taking it for the finale beyond killing off Gyp and/or Nucky finding out about Margaret's affair.

by Anonymousreply 10111/17/2012

At least we'll get more of Jack Huston. I think Richard is going to offer Nucky his sniper services. I also think Richard is eventually going to off Gillian to save Jimmy's son. Besides, the bitch has it coming.

by Anonymousreply 10211/17/2012

They killed off Jimmy's character and now they killed Owen, I just can't with this show tonight.

by Anonymousreply 10311/18/2012

Will Katy try blackmailing Margaret re Owen? Will Margaret have sex with Nucky trying to coverup issue of paternity? Or will she have an abortion by the Women's Health physician? Will Margaret become Atlantic City's version of 'MARGARET SANGER' ? Will Margaret become romantically involved with the physician who gave her the diaphragms?

by Anonymousreply 10411/18/2012

Sorry to see Owen go, but r104 has the right idea. Margaret and the doctor will start up a decent clinic for women.

Chalky will help Nucky in the gang war after Nucky finally agrees to Chalky's nightclub on the boardwalk.

I so hope Richard doesn't get killed and he and his girl and Jimmy's kid get outta there.

Gyp needs to die. Horribly. Like eaten by sharks.

by Anonymousreply 10511/19/2012

Gyp is just an OTT psychopath. So sick of him.

They seem hell bent on killing all of the good looking men on this show.

by Anonymousreply 10611/19/2012

I'm not surprised they killed off Owen. Margaret has to stay in Atlantic City (she's the main reason I watch the show), and she couldn;t if she ran off with Owen.

The Gyp Rosstti character is just unbelievable to me--mafiosi don't go around killing random people like the dog owner is the season's first episode or his own lieutenant's relative the way Rossetti has: you'd get in huge trouble with the law if you did the former, and your own men would distrust you and betray you if you did the latter. I bet he gets killed next episode or the episode after by the lieutenant whose nephew was brutally killed tonight as payback.

One thing is that with Jess Smith's "suicide" tonight (a real historical occurrence) they've brought the series up to May of 1923, and President Harding dies in July 1923 under mysterious circumstances on his trip to Alaska and the West Coast. They haven't shown the Hardings since season one, but I am curious if they'll bring President Harding back in to kill him off, either for the close of this season or for the start of season 4.

by Anonymousreply 10711/19/2012

I know that Margaret has to stay with Nucky for now but they didn't have to kill off Owen that quickly. Besides we still do not know if he intended to stay with Katy or Margaret.

by Anonymousreply 10811/19/2012

I thought it was pretty awesome that we finally got the scene on the show that the opening sequence always depicts with the bottles breaking on the beach as they wash ashore.

by Anonymousreply 10911/19/2012

[quote]mafiosi don't go around killing random people like the dog owner is the season's first episode

Thank you. I never made the connection that that's where the dog came from.

I just watched and omg omg omg fucccckkk. They were telegraphing something happening to Owen all episode, but omg not that... Well, on to other projects for fine-ass Charlie Cox.

by Anonymousreply 11011/19/2012

by Anonymousreply 11111/19/2012

[quote]Besides we still do not know if he intended to stay with Katy or Margaret.

I'm somewhat suspicious of his real intentions, too. It seems so unlikely that a guy like him would want to take on the burden of high-maintenance Margaret and her ready-made family, one a cripple, no less. How was that supposed to work, being on the run from Nucky and no job to go to? I'll bet if he wasn't killed first, he would have skulked off in the dark of night after learning that he knocked up Margaret. Also, I half-wonder if Nucky didn't set the whole thing up because he suspected the affair.

by Anonymousreply 11211/20/2012

Cannavale is bothering me less, but they're overplaying his character.

If he's supposed to be prone to completely random acts of violence, then you have to make them random. Instead, he reacts every fucking time, and that's anything but random. If he did it half as often it would be twice as effective.

by Anonymousreply 11311/20/2012

They've hit shark jumping territory with the scene devouring, over-te-top Bobby Cannavale character. Enough already. I'm already ff'ing through most of his scenes. It's become embarrassing for the entire show at the point.

I think we'll end up seeing Nucky making a deal with Richard... Nucky gets a sniper and the Tin Man gets Gillian out of the way, little Jimmy and the girl, thus having the family he's always pining for in his little scrap book. Plus, he'll likely get the estate until the boy, at that point his son, has coming to him.

by Anonymousreply 11411/20/2012

by Anonymousreply 11511/20/2012

I was hoping the Gyp would be gunned down right on the beach by the dead guy's cousin.

by Anonymousreply 11611/21/2012

Cannavale plays this part like every guido who grew up watching "The Godfather" and "The Sopranos."

by Anonymousreply 11711/21/2012

He's not going to kill the dog, is he?

by Anonymousreply 11811/21/2012

I didn't even understand why he killed that guy's cousin. Because he explained what a rogue wave was? It's like they're desperately trying to make him as crazy as possible, that he could go off at any random moment, but I just don't care anymore. I'm not shocked, just bored. Pretty much just waiting for the last episode when he will very predictably be killed off.

by Anonymousreply 11911/21/2012

Best episode of the season!

by Anonymousreply 12011/26/2012

I just fast-forward through this show and slow it down if I see male nudity or period productions numbers.

Yes, I am that gay, thanks for asking.

by Anonymousreply 12111/26/2012

The Al Capone character is played in a very cartoonish way.

by Anonymousreply 12211/26/2012

Sometimes the deliberate pace of the show is hard to take.

by Anonymousreply 12311/26/2012

Anybody up for posting spoilers? How many sets did Bobby's Cannavale devour? (And is he dead yet?)

by Anonymousreply 12411/26/2012

Well, clearly nucky knows about Margaret & Owen. He had her & the kids leave town to protect them so that reckoning has been postponed.

The action now shifts to the whorehouse where Gyp set up his headquarters. I Like Capone so far. IUnteresting to see what will happen between Gillian & Gyp. Two Psychopaths.

As for all these killings, lets not forget that the law enforcement apparatus to track and arrest criminals was very rudimentary and dusting for finger prints was probably considered innovative & hi-tech.

The other point is that this show certainly shines a light on public corruption that goes all the way from the local sheriff of some dog-assed town, to the White House. So obviously some people could get away with murder. This was a time when, by simply moving from one town to another, you could get lost and hide out.

by Anonymousreply 12511/26/2012

My favorite scene was seeing Richard get all his guns in order. You DO NOT want to fuck that that guy!

by Anonymousreply 12611/26/2012

I guess I can sort of understand people not being into this show because of the pacing and meandering storylines (plus the brutal violence), but... I feel so lucky that I love it and can just sink into the beautifully created world of it every week that it is on. I really look forward to it, as much as MAD MEN, I think.

I really did not get into it at all the first season, but, more than with any other show, I am glad I stuck with it because I think the third season is (so far) the ultimate fulfillment of what they set into motion with seasons one and two. I can see season four either being even better or starting a slow decline and then the show will sputter out. I know the ratings haven't been great this year, but it is definitely renewed, yes?

by Anonymousreply 12711/26/2012

I'm loving it. I didn't watch it the first season because I wasn't a Steve Buscemi fan, but I've done a 360 on that. He's excellent in this series. I grew bored and watched seasons 1&2 straight thru, then couldn't wait to see season 3. I hope it lasts at least two more years.

by Anonymousreply 12811/26/2012

[quote]Well, clearly nucky knows about Margaret & Owen

huh? what did I miss that this 'clear'?

by Anonymousreply 12911/27/2012

[quote]huh? what did I miss that this 'clear'?

R129, Nucky asked Eddie if he'd known about Margaret and Owen, elearly referring to their affair. Nucky caught on when he saw Margaret's hysterical reaction to seeing Owen dead in the crate.

And yes, the show has been renewed for a fourth season, R127.

3.11 was my favorite episode of the season as well, by a long way.

by Anonymousreply 13011/27/2012

I love it too, R128. There's no other show on now that so totally immerses you in an era, and the variety and depth of the characters is extraordinary. Also, with them being willing to kill of popular and central characters, there's a real sense of danger.

by Anonymousreply 13111/27/2012

I'm deeply in love with Anatol Yusef, the English actor who plays Meyer Lansky. Hot to death, and he gets the accent from that time and place just right.

by Anonymousreply 13211/27/2012

[quote] I'm deeply in love with Anatol Yusef, the English actor who plays Meyer Lansky. Hot to death, and he gets the accent from that time and place just right.

He could play a young George Burns in a tv movie. Looks just like him.

by Anonymousreply 13311/27/2012

As I look at the structure of the story, I try to predict which cast members will get killed. We know Dougherty is going to leave politics when Harding dies.I'll be very interested to see what becomes of the Female investigator from the Justice department.

Rothstein is going to get murdered. Masseria will follow. Capone is ascendant.(At some point later on he will kill O'Bannion) Luciano does go to prison. But not sure if it was this time.

Lanksy, Bugsy Seigle,Frank Costello all part of that era to greater & lesser degrees. Marazano and Torio too. So these are actual historical characters along with Nucky.

But the guy I can't stand, the one who Nucky sent to run the distillery owned by Andrew Mellon (who knew!), and Chalky, Margaret, Gillian, Tom Shannon's character, Nucky's brother and his family, and Broken Faced man whom I love, are all expendable, technically speaking, unless they are key pivot points in the plot.

It's obvious Gyp's going to get killed. It can't happen any other way. But if they remove Gillian,or Shannon's character, who's descent into organize crime is like Dante's going to Hell, or a couple of the other regulars, they really will take the heart out of the narrative. Killing Jimmy was as clse to ruining the series as they dared.

by Anonymousreply 13411/27/2012

The death of Slater and the subsequent ousting of Harrow from the whorehouse would seem to neatly set up a scenario whereby Richard might take over the position of Nucky's chief enforcer. He has no place else to go right now, and they showed us a while back that Richard made peace with the fact that Nucky killed Jimmy. He said something along the lines of "Jimmy was a soldier and he knew the risks going in" so he understood. It would be nice if his character could go off into the sunset with his new girlfriend and Jimmy's son, but the reality is, he has no other way to support himself besides organized crime. They touched upon that issue during one of those scenes at the American Legion meetings, saying how many of the handicapped vets aren't eligible for benefits because they aren't totally disabled, yet they are "defective" enough that no one will hire them, either. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 13511/27/2012

Esther Randolph is based on the historical Mabel Willebrandt.

"Resigning her post in 1929 after failing to be appointed Attorney General by Herbert Hoover, for whom she had campaigned heavily in the 1928 election, she worked as an attorney and had offices in Washington and Los Angeles.

In 1950, she served as counsel to the Screen Directors Guild during a labor hearing. She also became a counsel of California Fruit Industries, a major producer of grape concentrate (Vine-Glo) that was commonly transformed into a serviceable table wine."

by Anonymousreply 13611/27/2012

i LIKE the deliberate pace and the mundane details- the furniture, the clothes, the struggle to purchase a diaphragm, what did they eat, the morals, more than the gangster fightings and schemes.

I really dispise screen time spent on Gyp and his over the top behaviour.

by Anonymousreply 13711/27/2012

Bobby Cannavale is so mesmerizing I don't even mind Gyp. In a different actor's hands it might have been an unbearable role.

by Anonymousreply 13811/27/2012

Masseria was a real mobster and died in a mob hit in 1934. As for Rothstein, he lived many, many years, into the 50's. Lee Strasberg's character in "Godfather II" is based on Arnold Rothstein.

And, btw, in Cannavale's hands, it's still an unbearable role.

by Anonymousreply 13911/27/2012

Arnold Rothstein was killed in 1928, R139.

Maybe you are thinking of Meyer Lansky.

by Anonymousreply 14011/27/2012

[quote]Bobby Cannavale is so mesmerizing...

You're kidding, right? Please tell us you're joking.

by Anonymousreply 14111/27/2012

I wonder if this season would play better if Canavale didn't LOOK like a cartoon character.

by Anonymousreply 14211/27/2012

The Hyman Roth character in The Godfather II was based on Meyer Lansky. Lansky, Lucciano, Costello and Bugsy Seigle were all in the same gang.There were a couple of notoriuos hitmen of the time, one called Mad Dog Coll who was certifiable, and of course, Dutch Schultz was a prohibitionera gangster. The Cotton Club was huge in NYYC, and Owney Madden ran it. He was a famous bootlegger too. I think

There's a good movie about them called "Mobsters" I think, with Christian Slater as Lucciano, Masseria played by Anthony Quinn, and F. Murray Abraham played Arnold Rothstein.

by Anonymousreply 14311/27/2012

Is The Cotton Club the one in Chalky White's future?

by Anonymousreply 14411/28/2012

I haven't missed Jimmy as much as I thought. I like that they stepped up the Richard character's role in his place, because he is far more interesting IMO.

They killed of the new brunette showgirl/girlfriend very quickly. She didn't have a very pivotal role in the storyline. Do you think she was just written in as a dig at Spaz de la Huerta? Because I do.

by Anonymousreply 14511/28/2012

[quote] They killed of the new brunette showgirl/girlfriend very quickly. She didn't have a very pivotal role in the storyline. Do you think she was just written in as a dig at Spaz de la Huerta? Because I do.

Could be, because I don't see much other reason for her character. Nucky doesn't seem to be thinking much about her since he recovered from his concussion. This storyline is as muddled as the rest of this season.

by Anonymousreply 14611/28/2012

I saw the affair with the showgirl as more of an FU to Margaret, for signing away all that property to the Catholic Church.

by Anonymousreply 14711/28/2012

Is Eli's son a goner? Was this telegraphed?

by Anonymousreply 14811/30/2012

I hope not. Tho I thought it was pretty telling that the very FIRST words out of his mouth when he drove up were, "What's my sone doing here!" or words to that effect.

by Anonymousreply 14911/30/2012

Interesting dynamic being set up. Nucky now owes Eli bigtime. Because Eli not only Convinced Terrio and the Chicago mob to help them, he brought Capone and his little army with him. That makes Eli pretty impressive in his own right.

by Anonymousreply 15011/30/2012

Gyp Rosetti DEAD. A surprise to no one. I always had a feeling his main guy would end up killing him.

by Anonymousreply 15112/02/2012

I guess Margaret will be out of the series next season...

by Anonymousreply 15212/02/2012

[quote]I guess Margaret will be out of the series next season...

Not necessarily. Here Terence Winter talks a little bit about what's in store for next season:

by Anonymousreply 15312/03/2012

But what about Van Alden!!!

by Anonymousreply 15412/04/2012

As a lady, I really liked the parts of the show that focused on women's issue (getting contraception, the abortion, raising children alone as a single mom, etc)

And what an accurate and realistic scene when Margaret used her fingers to check the blood between her legs.

by Anonymousreply 15512/05/2012

I was shocked at Gillian. After the last three episodes, once Gyp took over her house, I expected her to kill him. I thought they'd have all these mobsters & hitmen plotting & scheming and running around with guns, and Gillian would kill Gyp. Now what!

I'm looking forward to next season. I have a feeling we are going to see the rise of Capone and the demise of some prominent names. I wonder if they'll deal with the changes in the White House or move past that. I sincerely hope they at least cover what happens to Arnold Rothstein. The way things ended, Arnold is in the shitter.

by Anonymousreply 15612/05/2012

It's annoying that the casting director has a "type" and most of the side characters all look the same. The men and the women. It's also annoying that this huge subplot wasn't clear b/c of it and the writing. It all just seemed rushed. Pretty sets though.

by Anonymousreply 15712/05/2012

[quote]. I wonder if they'll deal with the changes in the White House or move past that.

The interview says next season takes place mid-1924. So Coolidge will be well in office by then.

by Anonymousreply 15812/06/2012

Great finale and we finally got to see Richard go full tilt Rambo on Gyp's goons. Wow. I only regret he didn't whack Gillian because it looks like the heroin jab didn't kill the bitch.

by Anonymousreply 15912/06/2012

Nucky's side piece was exactly what she was to be in her first film role and what the title of the episode in which she died was called: The Pony. As per her explanation, the pony is the pretty girl in the background. She may have a couple of lines or do one memorable thing, but she's not part of the main storyline and is more or less a distraction.

by Anonymousreply 16012/06/2012

OK, so we left things with Arnold Rothstein getting screwed over by Nucky, Lucciano in a not real strong position in a "partnership" with MAsseria, Torrio is sort of stepping back, or so it would seem, but Capone is ascendant. He has O'Bannion to worry about.

Chalky is going to set up a Cotton Club type establishment in AC like the one Owney MAdden is setting up in NYC. Nucky and Margaret will rebuild, and there is some ambiguity about Gillian. Is she dead or just nuts? Is she off the show or will she recover?

I am looking forward to what they will do with the Van Alden character. I think the action will center around the Mafia intrigues. Lots of stuff happening next season. I hope that ass who was holding the fort at the brewery in PA finally gets whacked next season.

by Anonymousreply 16112/06/2012

Recently saw "Lincoln." It took a few minutes before realizing a Kentucky senator with an Amish-type beard was Michael Stuhlbarg. So used to seeing him as the impeccably dressed and urbane Rothstein.

Peter McRobbie, the actor who played Van Alden's boss, Supervisor Elliot, also has a featured role as a nasty, racist politician.

by Anonymousreply 16212/06/2012

Nucky now knows that "he can't be a half a gangster." After the finale and him taking off his flower, he is a full gangster now.

According to interviews with the writers or producers or whoever, the next season will be late 1924, the year that the 1920's gangsters become what we think of when we think of 1920's gangsters.

I wish Carmela Soprano could travel in a time machine to help Margaret cope with her new role as a full gangster's wife. At the minimum, they could send Rose Aprile into the time machine for Margaret.

I also looking forward to seeing The Charleston dance before long. It will be the craze!

by Anonymousreply 16312/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!