Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Honolulu, Hawaii

What's it like to live there? Would you recommend it?

I could move there for work, but not sure if it would be paradise living there everyday...

by Anonymousreply 3311/22/2012

Look up "Rock Fever" before you decide.

by Anonymousreply 109/16/2012

Why Honolulu OP? Why not a nice town in Maui or Kauai?

by Anonymousreply 209/16/2012

It's expensive. Really truly horribly expensive. But there are tons of adorable servicemen lying around.

by Anonymousreply 309/16/2012

I live outside of Honolulu. It's one of the most expensive cities in the US to live. There are some nice parts, but Waikiki is horrible. And the traffic in Honolulu is terrible. I do enjoy the weather, the great local produce, and the beaches with free access to all. The culture is interesting with a mix of three very different groups: the native Hawaiian population, the military families, and the Asian population. In many ways it's a liberal city, but with a lot of conservative, religious pockets.

As an older gay couple, we have no problems, and there is respect from young people that I don't see in many places. We have civil unions, but not gay marriage (we're close though).

Outside of Honolulu, and on the other islands, life is much slower, more affordable, and more like the paradise most folks imagine when you say Hawaii.

by Anonymousreply 409/16/2012

Joan Didion's essays over the years about Hawaii are worth a look.

by Anonymousreply 509/16/2012

Gorgeous. But the weather changes in the blink of an eye. The locals HATE white mainlanders (some other person here will chime in with how this isn't true anymore, but it is). Look forward to paying five bucks for a loaf of bread. The tourists will make you want to shoot yourself. Traffic is a nightmare, drugs are rampant. Bugs are huge. Humidity ruins every fabric there is.

It's great to visit, but living there takes some thick skin.

by Anonymousreply 609/16/2012

Judging from an experience I had with a Hawaiian neighbor of mine, they can be a nasty race of people. This fat slob had the nuts to call me a Haole...in San Diego!!!

by Anonymousreply 709/16/2012

It humid, but I never thought the humidity was as oppressive as, say, South Florida.

by Anonymousreply 809/16/2012

Quite lonely if you are single, gay, and white. Lots to do outside, great weather, jobs that pay well go to insiders, very relaxed attitude to work product, traffic a nightmare. Hard to fit in since you are an outsider.

My biggest problem is food. I budget $150 a week minimum and sometimes more for one person. Meadow Gold gallon of milk is $7.99 gas is $4.49 a gal and even bread is about $5 for a loaf. And everything, and I mean everything is taxed. Also, stay away from no mans land: the Leeward coast of Nanakuli, Waianae, Malle or Kalihi.

If you are rich, a whole 'nuther world but if you are average, anticipate a tough time to adjust.

by Anonymousreply 909/16/2012

One suggestion, try a two week vacation there but stay outside Waikiki.

Go to the areas you might be actually living day to day. Moillili, Kaneohe, Kailua, Nuuanu, Liliha etc. Will you feel comfortable in these neighborhoods?

Stop by Foodland, Safeway, Times, Longs, Don Quiote, City Mill and see how you would be able to afford the prices. You may not need a car but all MSRP stickers have a dealer adjusted market price adding $2-3k onto the price of the car. Only Toyota doesn't do that.

Remember, this is not a move from LA to Irvine or San Diego or SF to San Jose. It is a totally different culture and lifestyle. You can make your own happy life here. The weather and environment is wonderful but you need to know what you're getting into.

Best of luck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1009/16/2012

"Also, stay away from no mans land: the Leeward coast of Nanakuli, Waianae, Malle or Kalihi. "

More about this please.

by Anonymousreply 1109/16/2012

How do Asian and "native" Hawaiians feel about non-white mainlanders who visit or reside there? I can't ever recall hearing anything about anti-black, south asian or hispanic incidents there.

by Anonymousreply 1209/16/2012

All of Hawaii is meth ridden, full of dangerous homeless who congregate in the backyards of $10 million homes--it's as bad as anywhere else but grossly overpriced.

I'd say give it back to the 'natives,' but there aren't too many of them left, just philipinos, Japanese and chinese who might fake being native for freebies.

by Anonymousreply 1309/16/2012

Are Hawaiin cocks small?

Fat?

Thanks, mecha lecha hai

by Anonymousreply 1509/16/2012

Hawaii, full of fatness, thunder-thigh island a mass display of the lardened minions pineapple armpits and coconut balls flubbering waves of flatualent bellies

Hawaii, mistress of the Pacific may I tenderly hold your hand of lady fingers

by Anonymousreply 1609/16/2012

No snakes. I'm on my way. Most of my money gets spent on food and entertaining anyway. There are lots of things I can live without to live there and enjoy the beauty of the place for a while at least.

by Anonymousreply 1709/16/2012

The Waianae coast is beautiful beyond words. However, locals and homeless have claimed the beaches as their own and the State has had a devil of a time clearing them out because they shit in the water due to lack of usable or any facilities and the rubbish that is excavated would shock a thirdworld country.

The filth is unimaginable.

On the other side of the highway, mauka (mountain side) are junk homes and junk cars where sadly, the poor live and try to exist with low paying jobs or mostly State assistance.

Truthfully, it breaks my heart to see the cycle of babies, welfare and the shittiest education system on earth. Jamaica looks world class in comparison.

Finally, someone up thread mentioned meth. He was spot on. Ice, batu, meth is rampant. Wath Dog the Bounty Hunter and multiply that scenario by a thousand. I've seen pipe being lit on the freeway during slow traffic with no shame. Ad where do you think they get the $$$$for that? Don't bother to lock your car. If they want it, they just rob and assault.

Finally, the $10 million crack house comment is also true because Japanese nationals have purchased mansions and then abandoned them. See our premier street, Kahala. You are in for a rough ride that will shock you at first but becomes normal after a while.

by Anonymousreply 1809/16/2012

[quote] Japanese nationals have purchased mansions and then abandoned them

How come?

by Anonymousreply 1909/16/2012

One of the guys is Genshiro Kawamoto who has purchased huge tracks of homes from the back seat of his limo (he just points to the homes and has a realtor followup with the owners) and then rents them out with no maintenance. He has also purchased dozens of mansions on Kahala Avenue. Some for $10 to15 million each, bulldozes the walls surrounding the estates and then leaves them to rot. It is amazing to see pristine, manicured lawns and fancy homes next to run down, rat infested mansions let vacant.

He got mad once when the State forced him to remove accumulated garbage from some properties so he rented 3 mansions to homeless folks to get even with the neighbors. $100 a year.

You can google him and see all the fun and frolick he provides.

by Anonymousreply 2009/16/2012

Kawamoto is Hawaii's Romney. Romney is no different with his Bain Capital. Buys and then destroys.

by Anonymousreply 2109/16/2012

Fort Lauderdale + Chicago traffic = Honolulu

But it's lovely outside of the city.

by Anonymousreply 2209/16/2012

I think after a while the beauty of your surroundings would wear off, and you'd be left seeing all of the negative aspects of living there instead.

by Anonymousreply 2309/17/2012

I lived there for six years. All the above is true, though exaggerated. Locals will hate you at first, but many will come around and end up as best friends forever.

When the trades are blowing the weather is perfect. The rain isn't cold. "Kona weather" - reverse of trades, is awful. Beyond humid.

Trouble is, if you work, you miss all of this. Try and get all your beach/surf/tan on the weekends and you end up with Melanoma. Worth it though, because the gay life is incredible (if you're a whore I'm assuming. I was.)

by Anonymousreply 2409/17/2012

[quote]It's expensive. Really truly horribly expensive.

I doubt it. Expensive is all relative anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2509/17/2012

Meth is everywhere. Next to the tourist industry, meth is a major player in the Hawaiian economy.

by Anonymousreply 2609/17/2012

It's fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 2709/17/2012

Was there a couple months ago... Went to a private stretch of beachfront near Waikiki and my friend was telling me a story about this one guy who was buying all if these beachfront properties to create a museum. All of these properties are next to each other and it looks like something out of Citizen Kane. Any care to elaborate?

by Anonymousreply 2809/17/2012

Vincent Price raped me in a cave. There's always a dark side. He was hung like a horse. I have no walls left.

by Anonymousreply 2909/17/2012

R28 No beaches in Hawaii are legally private - all are owned by the state. Only Doris Duke's estate approaches "Xanadu," and it has already become a museum. Islamic. There are some fabulous but lesser estates beyond that point on Diamond Head and on out through Kahala though.

by Anonymousreply 3011/21/2012

If you are white, you get to see what it;s like to be a minority. Shut out of certain jobs, not welcome in certain neighborhoods.

Houses are small and have two or three generations living together. On weekends, the beaches and parks are crowded because that's where everyone goes to get out of the house.

For the size of the population, there is less stuff going on, ie cultural events, concerts etc. than a city half the size. The main entertainment is going to the beach.

Get a motorbike and you can deal with the traffic. It m'bike-riding weather year 'round.

You will be in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and LA is FIVE hours away. That's like flying from NYC to London.

by Anonymousreply 3111/21/2012

But there is this

by Anonymousreply 3211/22/2012

They elected a lesbian republican governor. Think about that. Ponder it.

by Anonymousreply 3311/22/2012
Need more help? Click Here.