Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did Judy Garland and Lana Turner get along?

They were both stars at MGM at same-even appeared the same movie" Ziegfeld Girl"-did they get along? Were they in classes together?

by Anonymousreply 20504/23/2014

Judy was very angry when Mickey Rooney had an affair with Lana.

by Anonymousreply 109/16/2012

Micky Rooney and Lana? Gads, what was his secret? He was married to Eva Gardner briefly too...he's such an odd partner for either of those two bombshells.

by Anonymousreply 209/16/2012

Ava, not Eva you moron.

Also R2, being the number one box office star in the world during the peak years of Hollywood may have had something to do with his ability to attract sexy actresses.

by Anonymousreply 309/16/2012

Judy was devastated when Lana eloped with bandleader Artie Shaw. Shaw is a very interesting character in his own right. And his music is great.

by Anonymousreply 409/16/2012

I think Lana took away the guys that Judy wanted. I wouldn't think that Judy liked Lana, but had to tolerate her.

by Anonymousreply 509/16/2012

Actually they were friends. The two used to go nightclubbing together in the late 30s and early 40s. In the early 50's they were next door neighbors and often spent afternoons together while Liza and Cheryl played. Judy did have an inferior complex when it came to Lana's looks, though Judy never consider Lana a great intellect, though a nice woman. And Lana always spoke highly of Judy's talent.

by Anonymousreply 609/16/2012

Judy was devastated when Lana eloped with bandleader Artie Shaw. Shaw is a fascinating character himself, and his music is great.

by Anonymousreply 809/16/2012

R3 is ugly on the inside too

by Anonymousreply 909/16/2012

They also both shared Tyrone Power though neither won him.

by Anonymousreply 1009/16/2012

Lana's real name was Judy but Judy's real name was Frances.

by Anonymousreply 1109/16/2012

R 6 is right - they were friends, for years. And they both admired each other. Supposedly, when making "Ziegfeld Girl", Judy finished singing a number, and walked by Lana. As she passed , Lana said to Hedy Lamar 'Oh, what must it be like to have that much talent ?'. Later on , Lana walked out , in a gorgeous gown, and Judy whispered to someone ' What must it b like to be that beautiful ?'. Lana was awed by Judy's talent, Judy was floored by Lana's beauty.

by Anonymousreply 1209/16/2012

I wouldn't let that dyke come near me with a 12-inch knife...

by Anonymousreply 1409/16/2012

Judy felt like a little troll amidst all of Louis B. Mayer's stable of beauties. It led to the weight fluctuations and pill addictions that eventually killed her.

by Anonymousreply 1509/16/2012

The only one of Judy's films from her MGM years that Lana might also have been considered for would be The Clock, though I imagine LB Mayer would have thought Lana's sexiness would be wasted in that one, too.

Did Judy make any other non-musicals at MGM? I think she even sang in the Andy Hardy films she appeared in. I'm probably forgetting something.

by Anonymousreply 1609/16/2012

R2/R9 should realize no one is fooled by an illiterate trying to cover her tracks by stomping her hooves and snorting drivel.

by Anonymousreply 1709/16/2012

by Anonymousreply 1809/16/2012

They got along fine. The only one of Judy's classmates I ever heard her refer disparagingly to was Elizabeth Taylor, whom Judy said was 'not very nice.'

by Anonymousreply 1909/16/2012

MGM gave Judy such a complex about her appearance, poor thing, when she clearly was the greatest natural talent they ever had - that any movie studio ever had. I thought that she was cute. But they gave her teeth caps, a temporary putty nose, and forced her to wear a corset to lengthen her waist.

Lana, while maybe conventionally prettier than Judy, was far from perfect. She had a short neck, a thick torso and basically no hips. She was just more photogenic than Judy.

by Anonymousreply 2009/16/2012

Judy liked Lana but thought being in a room with her was like being in a room with a beautiful lamp.

by Anonymousreply 2109/16/2012

In r15's photo, Lana's neck looks no shorter than goddess Hedy Lamarr's and actually a bit longer than super-talented JUdy's.

Can't see her non-existent hips there, however.

Judy may not have liked Elizabeth Taylor but she had long graduated from MGM's Little Red Schoolhouse by the time Elizabeth enrolled there. They were not classmates. Or, if she said they were, it was in one of those drunken and unreliable Jack Paar interviews.

by Anonymousreply 2209/16/2012

Mother hated that tramp Lana

by Anonymousreply 2309/16/2012

THE HARVEY GIRLS was originally developed at MGM as a Lana vehicle - when Arthur Freed took over the production and added songs, it became a vehicle for Judy.

And they appeared together in two films - not only ZIEGFELD GIRL, but in the best of the Andy Hardy pictures, LOVE FINDS ANDY HARDY.

by Anonymousreply 2409/17/2012

Is that really you, Hugh Fordin? OMG, if so then this thread begins and ends with you. You know more than John Fricke!

by Anonymousreply 2509/17/2012

Saw Liza years ago, at the Greek Theater, in LA. Was backstage, and both Lana, and Cheryl, came out of Liza's dressing , and got big hugs from her . Met Cheryl (and Josh, her spouse) years later at a party, and they were both extremely nice people.

by Anonymousreply 2609/17/2012

At least Judy was spared Johnny Stompanato.

by Anonymousreply 2709/17/2012

Perhaps Judy didn't actually call Liz Taylor a classmate. But she was talking about those she had more or less grown up with at MGM and Liz was the only one she referenced in a negative manner, which I thought was interesting. It is true that Judy was ten years older than Liz, but MGM considered Judy a youngster and kept her in juvenile parts until she was at least twenty.

by Anonymousreply 2809/17/2012

Judy was traumatized being around such other-worldly beauties as Lana and Hedy and all the glamorous MGM ladies. She YEARNED to be a beauty because that is what was the female currency of the time, moreso than talent. Women were (to an even greater extent back then) objectified for their looks. She was the most talented performer ever at MGM but in the insane, upside down world of values that she inhabited, she felt like an ugly duckling. That is why she worked hard to be presented as "glamorous" in films like Presenting Lily Mars and did not want to do Meet Me In St. Louis because she did not want to go back to juvenile parts. She really did try to compete with the MGM beauties for a time. If you look at any of her publicity stills from the early 40's, you can see that she was very beautiful and photographed like a star. But she never thought so. She was absolutely devastated when Lana ran off with Artie Shaw, who she had a big crush on. But she did get her share of men, too. She was no slouch in that department. Judy and Lana were friends, really, all their lives, although Judy was quick to point out, at times, when they were older, that Lana was not that smart. She knew nothing about anything except the movie business. And that she was like talking to a "beautiful vase." That quote has been recounted many times.

by Anonymousreply 2909/17/2012

They both shared a good friend in Barron Polan who came to MGM from Warner's with Mervyn LeRoy and Lana Turner. Barron was Judy's handler during The Wizard of Oz, and he had been part of Lana's team at Warner's after she was discovered at the soda fountain and stuffed into a tight sweater.

Judy didn't hold the Shaw betrayal against Lana - and David Rose was right there to comfort her the very night Lana married Shaw. Judy had the satisfaction of seeing how controlling Shaw was with Lana from a safe distance. Lana's marriage fell apart almost as quickly as it began while Judy was falling deeply in love with Rose and the idea of being free from her controlling mother and Mayer.

by Anonymousreply 3009/17/2012

I've always loved Judy, but over the years I've gotten to REALLY like Lana.

She's one of the few female stars of the '40s who look really hot today. She's compulsively watchable. She had a dazzling smile and adorable dimples. She was well-liked at the studio for having a down-to-earth attitude and even though she was the studios biggest party girl (she went nightclubbing every night) she was on-time on the set the next day and was a hard worker. She was equally liked by men & women filmgoers. She was a fun broad.

There used to be a clip of Turner in an elaborate dance routine with George Murphy in TWO BROADWAY GIRLS on YouTube - I was very surprised to see how good a dancer she was. She could have very easily moved in musicals even though she would have had to have been dubbed. But why would MGM need to dub a star with Garland there?

YouTube formerly had a bizarre clip of Lana performing Judy's "The Great Lady Gives An Interview" from a TV variety show in the late '50s I think.

by Anonymousreply 3109/17/2012

Can we just say it - Lana was always in search of the 'next big thing', if you get me . Lex Barker , Steve Cochran, Fernando Lamas, Johnny Stompanato-all good looking men, and hugely endowed. On a bio, about Lana, even her make-up man commented on it . It's like being addicted large penis. She'd put up with so much crap, all for the big peen . Sound familiar guys ???

by Anonymousreply 3209/17/2012

At the link, "Lana Turner: A Daughter's Memoir" with narration by Cheryl Crane and Robert Wagner.

It's sort of soft-edged, but fun to watch. Turner was incredibly pretty when she was young.

by Anonymousreply 3409/17/2012

They were friends. Judy was very jealous of Lana's sexpot status; she said that Lana Turner was the epitome of beauty.

Judy was heartbroken when Lana married Artie Shaw (Judy was in love with him). The marriage lasted maybe a couple of months. Anyway, Judy and Lana made up and still palled around after that whole fiasco.

Lana Turner always denied having an affair with Mickey Rooney. Did they or didn't they? Who knows? Mickey Rooney was a big star then and was attractive in a kind of boyish way; I guess that's what attracted the ladies. But I don't know why the luscious Ava Gardner married him. I guess she thought he was cute. In his memoir he gives the reader a detailed description of her nipples and genitals. What an absolute douchebag!

by Anonymousreply 3509/17/2012

Johnny had a 12 inch cock. So I'm sure Lana didn't give a shit. Well until she killed him.

by Anonymousreply 3609/17/2012

Lana was addicted to huge cocks. She couldn't get enough of big-dicked men screwing her night and day. As gay men, we can relate to Lana.

by Anonymousreply 3709/17/2012

My question is how did Warners lose Lana Turner to MGM after she debuted in Warners' They Won't Forget?

Though she was perhaps the quintessential MGM star of the 1940s, I could easily see a harder tougher version of Lana thriving at Warners.

by Anonymousreply 3809/17/2012

R14, Liza May WAS the dyke.

by Anonymousreply 3909/17/2012

Lana HAD the glamour... I HAD the Pep!

by Anonymousreply 4109/17/2012

He also wrote that Judy was involved with another woman he called a song stylist. Kay Thompson?

by Anonymousreply 4209/17/2012

r38: Lana was Mervyn LeRoy's discovery and when he was lured away by MGM, he asked Jack Warner if he could take the then-brunette Turner with her. To his eternal regret, Warner told LeRoy he could have her.

One of the dumbest movie executive mistakes of the 1930s, alongside MGM letting Deanna Durbin go and Zanuck cancelling Rita Cansino (Hayworth)'s contract.

by Anonymousreply 4309/17/2012

Also...Warner's just signed little Clara Lou Sheridan who had been dropped by Paramount.

In the 1940s, "OOmph Girl" Ann Sheridan was the Lana of Warner's.

by Anonymousreply 4409/17/2012

Love how Cheryl left out the little tidbit about Lana fucking Joe Louis in that coffee table book she made about her many years ago...

by Anonymousreply 4509/18/2012

Judy had a crush on Tony Martin while she and Lana were filming Ziegfeld Girl back in 1941. Naturally, Lana got him. She and Tony lived together for a while.

Yes, Judy and Lana did get along. Lana was a likable girl. This doesn't mean Judy wasn't also jealous of Lana's success with the dudes. They are not mutually exclusive concepts.

by Anonymousreply 4609/18/2012

Was Cheryl's partner Jocelyn Leroy any relation to Mervyn?

by Anonymousreply 4709/18/2012

Everything I've heard about Lana Turner is that she was a real good-time gal who loved to drink and party and was great fun to be around. Same with Ava Gardner. No pretentions or "actressy" bullshit, just two broads who liked to party, screw, and hang out.

by Anonymousreply 4809/18/2012

On the MGM lot in the late 30s, Mickey Rooney also fucked Joan Crawford AND Norma Shearer, both MUCH older than him at the time.

There's something to be said for the unrelenting energy of a younger man...

Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 4909/18/2012

Yep, as much as I love Judy, I have always heard nothing but good things about Lana Turner. Nice, fun to be around, not pretense. And I think that no matter how "uneducated" she was supposed to have been, she was an absolute genius at running her career. A good long run and a major star in the 40's, 50's and even the 60's and then a resurgence in the 90's! Even the whole Stompanato mess actually helped her career! The timing was perfect. Peyton Place, indeed.

Lana in the 40's was absolutely gorgeous. Like a ripe peach. She just shimmered.

by Anonymousreply 5009/18/2012

Mickey SAID he fucked Joan and Norma.

There is a difference.

by Anonymousreply 5109/18/2012

I always assumed Mickey Rooney has a giant dick, too. I mean, he was married to Ava G, and Ava loved the big ones, too.

Oh, and Judy would occasionally give Lana a thorough tongue-lashing when Lana was between men.

by Anonymousreply 5209/18/2012

"Lana in the 40's was absolutely gorgeous. Like a ripe peach. She just shimmered."

Apparently I'm the only one who thinks that Lana wasn't a great beauty. Yes, she was pretty (and sexy), but IMHO her beauty was the creation of MGM's superb cinematographers. Her chin was slightly weak, her upper lip a bit long, and she only looked great if the camera angle and lighting were just right. Look at this unposed picture, she's no Hedy Lamarr.

So IMHO both Judy and Lana were pretty rather than beautiful, at least from the neck up. If Judy had cause to be jealous of Lana, it was in that Lana was a lot sexier - both in real life and onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 5309/18/2012

I always preferred Lana in the 50s, when she wasn't as young but had a glamorous, more "lacquered" look - starting with THE MERRY WIDOW and all thru PEYTON PLACE and the glossy Ross Hunter melodramas.

by Anonymousreply 5409/18/2012

Oh yes, she's marginally attractive R53. Who's that dog she's with?

by Anonymousreply 5509/18/2012

R6 is correct, Judy and Lana lived next door to each other on Mapleton Drive in Bel-Air. Liza and Cheryl were playmates.

by Anonymousreply 5609/18/2012

Louis B. Mayer used to call Judy his little hunchback and put her down making her feel ugly. Judy wasn’t gorgeous like the myriads of glamorous stunning women that Judy was constantly surrounded by, and who made her self esteem hurt greatly. But Judy had no problem getting men. Judy gained a lot of male attention because she had a terrific personality and she was very funny. Judy was like a breath of fresh air to the many men in Hollywood who were tired with the glamorous women who were extremely narcissistic and very self-centered. Judy had no problem getting boyfriends and having sexual affairs which she had a lot of both.

Eva Gardner was extremely down to earth, very straight forward no BS, and she like to have a blast of fun.

Louis B. Mayer balled out Lana Turner for being a party girl and for her many sexual flings. Mayer screamed at her pointing to his crotch saying, all want to do is party and you want this!! Eva, Lana, and many other women in Hollywood back then were very much ahead of their time living their lives the way they wanted to.

Towards the end of Lana’s life, she said she was constantly searching for happiness through men. However, at that point in her life she said she realized it was God who filled that void in her heart. Here is the interview: Part 1

by Anonymousreply 5709/18/2012

Here is Part 2 of Lana Turner's last interview.

by Anonymousreply 5809/18/2012

Lana had the thickest hair in Hollywood. It could really take a set!

by Anonymousreply 5909/18/2012

[r57]. Get it right!! It's Ava not Eva!!,,,

by Anonymousreply 6009/18/2012

"All you want to do is party and you want *this*!!" should have been carved on her tombstone.

by Anonymousreply 6109/18/2012

Lana was an A-grade cunt!

by Anonymousreply 6209/18/2012

Mickey Rooney was the passed-around-butt-boy by the cadre of closet cases William Powell, Clark Gable et al. It's in his autobiography but you have to read between the lines.

by Anonymousreply 6309/18/2012

R63, really? what is the name of his autobiography? I never attempt to read his auto because I always think any word that comes out of his mouth is pure BS. AVA said that he is the biggest BSer around.

by Anonymousreply 6409/18/2012

So sorry R60, I can't believe I did that!! I adore AVA and I even own some personal effects of hers as well. A major shame on me!

by Anonymousreply 6509/18/2012

You can fantasize all you want but Rooney was no one's "butt boy." He was a pussyhound and not gay. It is almost assured that he partook once or twice of the cock (He was quoted as saying that "everyone has a little bit of that in him/her when referring to Judy's problems accepting HER bisexuality and that, possibly, contributing to her drug problems) but he loved the pussy. Gable and Powell were also not into men sexually. To advance their careers (particularly Gable with William Haines), they perhaps did some man- on- man action earlier in their careers but it was not their nature.

by Anonymousreply 6609/18/2012

The teenage Mickey Rooney had a hot body. Very lean and muscled. I could see how Joan & Lana would have liked to fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 6709/18/2012

"...but it was not their nature."

Thanks for the explanation, Miss Crabtree.

by Anonymousreply 6809/18/2012

The Widow Norma Shearer Thalberg definitely fucked Rooney. That one's in a lot of books.

by Anonymousreply 6909/18/2012

Judy was betrayed by Betty Asher, her lesbian friend who was employed by MGM as, I think, a secretary or companion or what have you, to work with Judy and other stars. Asher was her maid of honor when she married Vincente Minnelli. Asher was actually a spy for MGM who reported back to the front office any and all drug abuse and other transgressions of Judy's after Judy revealed things to her in confidence. This was devastating to Judy when she found out. Judy was betrayed throughout her life by both men and women in this way, even though there were sexual dalliances. I think Judy was very naive in whom she trusted ALL her life and many people took advantage of her. Some of it was, of course, her drug abuse and lack of discretionary thinking. But all's fair in love and war and Lana Turner got some of the men Judy wanted, they BOTH were with some of the same men and Judy got around, herself. She, for instance, had a torrid sexual rendezvous with Mario Lanza! Did anyone else ever read that? I don't think Judy had anything to be zealous of with regard to Lana. It really should have been the other way around!

by Anonymousreply 7009/18/2012

Judy vas a very zealous voman.

by Anonymousreply 7109/18/2012

Like gin and tonic.

by Anonymousreply 7209/18/2012

Zealous bitch!

by Anonymousreply 7309/18/2012

r70: Asher also spied on Lana.

While she was a popular star, Lana made Mayer uneasy. He liked 'classy ladies' like Greer Garson, and thought that Lana's well-publicized nightclubbing and frequent affairs were not assets to MGM's wholesome image.

Asher also comitted suicide.

by Anonymousreply 7409/18/2012

R24 I love LOVE FINDS ANDY HARDY. Judge Hardy's monologue about what makes a good husband and lover should be required viewing .

by Anonymousreply 7509/18/2012

r67, the strap-on technology wasn't advanced enough at the time. Poor Mickey would've bled heavily from the splinters and would need to borrow their tampons.

by Anonymousreply 7609/18/2012

Strangely, neither Lana nor Judy are sitting amongst their colleagues in that famous photo of MGM stars at the studio's 20th anniversary in 1942.....or is 1946?

by Anonymousreply 7709/18/2012

r77, that is because they both were away on war bond tours.

by Anonymousreply 7809/19/2012

[quote]You can fantasize all you want but Rooney was no one's "butt boy."

Creepy. The idea of someone fantasizing about Mickey Rooney gives me the cold chills.

by Anonymousreply 7909/19/2012

Famed director George Cukor, who was renowned as a "woman's director" and made multiple pictures with all the great MGM leading ladies (Crawford, Shearer, Hepburn, Garbo) made one film each with Judy ("A Star is Born"), Ava ("Bhowani Junction") and Lana ("A Life of her Own").

His struggles on "A Star is Born" are well known, but he said he believed Garland was a "great artist" and thought Judy should have won the Oscar. He adored working with Ava and she does her best work on film in "Bhowani". Has anyone ever seen "A Life of Her Own"? No. Cukor said Turner had the "talent of a flea" and is "nothing more than a wax mannequin" - this from a man who could get a good performance out of practically EVERY actress, even Anouk Aimee (in "Justine")!

by Anonymousreply 8109/19/2012

[quote]Louis B. Mayer balled out Lana Turner

I'm sure he balled out Lana as often as possible.

by Anonymousreply 8209/19/2012

R55, Lana is with Tyrone Power in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 8309/19/2012

If it's the 20th anniversary of MGM, it's 1946 and the war was over.

by Anonymousreply 8409/19/2012

My favorite Lana movie is The Big Cube, a late 60s, LSD-themed, so bad it's good classic. Not a glamorous role for Lana, she was already looking rough just in her mid-40s, and had awful yellowed teeth, both likely the result of her heavy smoking, as was her death from throat cancer in 1995.

by Anonymousreply 8509/19/2012

sorry R11, but Lana's real name was not Judy. Lana was born Mildred Jean Turner.

by Anonymousreply 8609/19/2012

Judy had beautiful legs.. Lana had a beautiful smile.

by Anonymousreply 8709/19/2012

MGM started in 1923. That photo was from 1943. Published in Life magazine as a 20th anniversary photo. Many stars who were not in that picture were away at war. Gable, for one. The "missing" stars all had something war related going on.

by Anonymousreply 8809/19/2012

Cheryl Crane in her mother's biography LANA:The Memories the Myths, the Movies writes about Judy and Lana.

'Judy and Mother were very close from the time they made Love Finds Andy Hardy, but Judy was a bit jealous of her in the early MGM days for a few reasons. Louis B. Mayer called Judy his little Hunchback, so she felt unglamorous and unattractive next to Mother. But the number one reason was Artie Shaw, whom Judy thought she was going to marry. Mother always felt guilty about that, although later she would say that she saved Judy from a fate worse than death. Their friendship survived Artie.

'Judy and Mother used to go out all the time. Both were absolutely fascinated by Marlene Dietrich. Like two giggling schoolgirls, they'd dress themselves up as sophisticated as possible to go to a gay nightclub on the Sunset Strip where Dietrich would go to see her girlfriend, who was a singer. They were intrigued by the whole scene and thrilled when Dietrich would invite them to join her table.'

In the link below, there is a photo with Judy and Lana and Cheryl writes about it:

'Judy who was no longer employed by MGM, visits Mother at the studio in 1952. Our homes on Mapleton looked into each other's kitchens. Judy used to come over and sit in the bathroom while Mother did her makeup.'

by Anonymousreply 8911/28/2012

Imagine being at a Hollywood gay nightclub in the 1940s and both Judy Garland and Lana Turner walk in!

by Anonymousreply 9011/28/2012

Oh yeah, R90, it would be at least...SENSATIONAL. Hahaha

by Anonymousreply 9111/28/2012

Funny pic r91. Those fussy 40s hairstyles must have been a time-consuming bitch to maintain!

by Anonymousreply 9211/28/2012

Other than "The Clock", the only other MGM film with Judy in which she did not sing was 1941's "Life Begins for Andy Hardy". Four songs were pre-recorded, but I'm not sure if they were even filmed. None survives in the finished film, although the recordings to exist. I imagine it was a lot cheaper to just leave them out and not shoot them.

by Anonymousreply 9311/29/2012

Actually, in some of her early films, Lana is really good. It was before she got that mannered quality that ruins much of her later work. There's a dance sequence that she does in "These Glamour Girls" where, not only is she drop dead gorgeous, but so natural, that you can tell what she must have been like out on the town in that period.

by Anonymousreply 9411/29/2012

Basically, Lana was a terrific ingenue and a terrible leading lady.

by Anonymousreply 9511/29/2012

[quote]I always assumed Mickey Rooney has a giant dick, too.

But where would he have stored it?

by Anonymousreply 9611/29/2012

r86, Cheryl Crane said everyone called her mother Judy... One of my pet peeves are people who think they can critique things they know nothing about (r94).

by Anonymousreply 9711/29/2012

"Judy and Mother were very close from the time they made Love ..."

by Anonymousreply 9811/30/2012

by Anonymousreply 9911/30/2012

Judy Garland was on hand to offer encouragement and suggestions when Lana Turner's hairstyle for Ziegfeld Girl was being created.

by Anonymousreply 10011/30/2012

Judy and Lana are on right now on TCM in Love Finds Andy Hardy. They're the best things in this movie as Andy/Mickey Rooney can be quite annoying.

by Anonymousreply 10112/25/2012

[post by racist shit-stain #3 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 10203/12/2013

That was Ava and Lana and Lena. But who knows, Judy got around with plenty of dames!

by Anonymousreply 10303/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 10403/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 10503/16/2013

R102, that was Lana, Ava, and Barbara Payton. Payton wrote about it in her memoirs. The three were going about their lezzie business at the Sinatra home in Palm Springs, when Sinatra walked in on them. Barbara jumped out the window and into the bushes, leaving her companions to face Sinatra's wrath. Word reached the Hollywood gossip columns, and the Sinatra union was as good as dead.

Lana, Judy, and Ava shared many of the same men. MGM was like a college dorm of sexual hijinks.

by Anonymousreply 10603/16/2013

R106, word reached Confidential Magazine in the way of a POLICE REPORT. The fight escalated on to the lawn with Sinatra cursing everybody out -- neighbors called the police.

by Anonymousreply 10703/18/2013

"Judy was betrayed by Betty Asher, her lesbian friend who was employed by MGM as, I think, a secretary or companion or what have you, to work with Judy and other stars. Asher was her maid of honor when she married Vincente Minnelli. Asher was actually a spy for MGM who reported back"

Betty Asher eventually committed suicide.

by Anonymousreply 10803/18/2013

Another bi-polar like Judy?

by Anonymousreply 10903/18/2013

Judy always was a generous, even-handed person when it came to other actresses and friends. This was remarkable because she was racked by insecurity and disappointment about her own looks. Whatever her demons, they weren't the type that stimulated meanness and jealousy when dealing with other actresses who were more attractive and successful with men.

Not that Judy didn't have her share of conquests.

by Anonymousreply 11003/18/2013

by Anonymousreply 11103/18/2013

Sure. I love those good person stories like when she chased Joey Luft outside into the snow with a knife in her hand.

by Anonymousreply 11203/19/2013

Supposedly, Lana wasn't well liked on the set of "Falcon Crest".

by Anonymousreply 11303/20/2013

In the early to mid forties at MGM, Judy had her pick of men just like Lana did. If you have someone as gorgeous as Tyrone Power lusting after you and wanting to marry you, you can hold your own against anybody. It's really a shame that romance didn't lead to marriage. They might have been perfect for each other, at least for a while. And who knows what their offspring might have been like.

by Anonymousreply 11403/20/2013

Would Tyrone Power have managed to stay faithful to Judy? She could have had a breakdown if she found out he had an affair.

by Anonymousreply 11503/20/2013

Sorry haters, I think the young Mickey Rooney is HOT. Tight, ripped little body and boundless, unstoppable energy.

I'd hit it- HARD.

by Anonymousreply 11603/20/2013

But that face, R116. It's special.

by Anonymousreply 11703/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 11803/20/2013

Liza is a lesbian who thought she was bi.

by Anonymousreply 11903/20/2013

R113, Jane Wyman was a consummate professional and expected the same from cast and crew. And though she was queen on the "Falcon Crest" set, she was very democratic about it, nobody got preferential treatment, all dressing rooms and trailers were the same size and equipped with the same amenities, and Jane would sit down with cast and crew and play poker with them. On Lana Turner's first day, the producers and well-wishers sent flowers to her dressing room, causing Jane to sniff, "I never got flowers on my first day." Strike one. Lana was also chronically late on the set, arrived with full entourage of personal staffers, spent hours in her dressing room or in hair & makeup, fussing over her looks and wardrobe, and had the nerve to tell the crew how she should be lit and what angles to avoid. And to top it off, Turner hadn't been in front of the cameras in years, so her acting was a bit rusty. She kept flubbing her lines and eventually she asked that the set be closed during her scenes. Wyman, of course, was not amused by this aging glamour girl's prima donna antics nor was she impressed with her acting abilities. She supposedly went to the producers and gave them the standard "either she goes or I go" ultimatum. Turner's recurring character was killed off in the season cliffhanger.

by Anonymousreply 12003/20/2013

Lana was a superstar; Jane was just an actress who got some good parts.

by Anonymousreply 12103/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 12203/20/2013

I wonder if Lana had ever been approached about playing the original lead matriarch in any of those 1980s Dynasty-like series?

I guess she was just too old for it by then.

by Anonymousreply 12303/21/2013

Judy was quite a desirable woman during most of the 1940's. She so wanted to BE a glamour girl that she made all efforts to make herself that way. With the help of Adrian, Sydney Guilaroff, William Tuttle and Dotty Ponedel, and PILLS, of course, she succeeded. There are many shots of her taken during the mid 40's where she is absolutely stunning. Around the time of Presenting Lily Mars (1943) until The Clock (1945) she is at her physical peak, I think. With her wit, charm, talent and maximizing her physical charms, she could get just about any man she wanted and she had plenty. She and Lana were great friends which might be surprising to some. Lana was much more down to earth and friendly than her image might suggest.

by Anonymousreply 12403/21/2013

Lana played one of the leads in the 1969 TV series, The Survivors -- a prime time soap.

by Anonymousreply 12503/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 12612/15/2013

"Judy was never jealous of anyone involved with Rooney. She and Rooney were never more than friends. In later years, she couldn't stand him although he remained fond of her. Rooney said he would have fallen in love with Judy, but she wasn't pretty enough for him. Maybe she got wind of that comment; that would have been ample reason for her to dislike him."

Does anyone have any more info about Judy not being able to stand Mickey in later years? I always wondered what their relationship was like after their co-starring years.

by Anonymousreply 12712/15/2013

R127, Lana's daughter in her biography about her mother implied that Judy was certainly soft on Artie Shaw and that she (at the beginning at least) grew jealous of Lana,because he wanted Artie for herself and Lana was aware of that... However, later, Cheryl(Lana's daughter)writes that Judy forgave Lana and they were friends again...

by Anonymousreply 12812/15/2013

Lana strikes me as a nice, normal person. You can't have nice, normal A-list actresses anymore. That Judy was a piece of work. Determined to drag everyone down with her.

by Anonymousreply 12912/15/2013

slightly off topic but a friend who did "Sugar Babies" with Rooney and Ann Miller told us Miller was pretty fed up with Rooney by the end of the run.

He would run off to the race track at every opportunity and Miller thought it was a stars duty to the audience to sign autographs after the show. Rooney didn't think so.

Miller got a bit pissed off about other onstage antics but she couldn't abide him refusing to meet the public.

by Anonymousreply 13012/15/2013

I have seen at least two clips of Judy Garland on talk shows in the late sixties, in each of which she was asked who her favorite leading man was. With enormous warmth (and apparent, but probably false, spontaneity), she answered, "Mickey!"

Unless she did films with the mouse, those rumors of her disliking the little runt might be inaccurate. (By the way, he was quite a hot midget in the forties.)

by Anonymousreply 13212/15/2013

[quote]Ewwww...[R129], Lana normal? She married seven times, she divorced all of her hubbies and her daughter was charged for the murder of her mother's lover and you call that normal? By the way, i have also read Crane's biography about Lana, and i remember that she writes that Lana at a certain period of her life(when she was older) she was thinking that in her previous life she was Cleopatra! Lana was feeling that there is a connection between Cleopatra's life and her life. Gee! Very normal!

Yes, not particularly smart, just a woman who managed to have immense fame from a young age and tried her best to live her life.

by Anonymousreply 13312/15/2013

Lana and Judy dyked it out

by Anonymousreply 13412/15/2013

In 1940, bandleader Artie Shaw composed a song that would become one of his signature tunes: "Summit Ridge Drive," named for Shaw's then-home address. For a brief period that year, the Summitridge Drive residence was also home to movie star Lana Turner, with whom Shaw eloped after their first date.

by Anonymousreply 13512/21/2013

Question:What have in common Judy Garland and Lana Turner?

Answer: They both have a lesbian daughter

Judy and Lana put their closeted lesbian lust in their daughters' blood.

by Anonymousreply 13612/24/2013

Lana Turner reminds me of a quote from Elaine Strich about Victoria Principal after they made some TV movie together, that's stayed with me: "She's dumb, but real smart, if you know what I mean."

by Anonymousreply 13712/24/2013

Yeah i personally got it R137...

I would love to see Lana making out with a woman. Too late for her i guess. What a pity! It was another time back then. She definitely enjoyed dating men, but i think that what she loved most about them is feeling their lust for her and the favors she was getting from them. It was refreshing for her to be sexually wanted and men certainly could give that to Lana.

She was a true star...same insecurities, same misconceptions, same secrets that we will never get to know for real. She only revealed what she wanted to reveal. Despite her big insecurities, she was very conscious about her stardom and she combined her woman power with her weaknesses in a sexy feminine way.

by Anonymousreply 13812/24/2013

Judy wanted to fuck Lana, but Lana was more compatible with Ava. They were both like cougars licking each other.

by Anonymousreply 13912/25/2013

Ava to Lana: I like the way that our furs rub each other.

by Anonymousreply 14012/25/2013

Does the link work this time?

by Anonymousreply 14112/25/2013

Did Lana fuck any of her hotter co-stars, like John Garfield or John Gavin? Garfield was sex on a stick, and he and Lana had incredible chemistry in Postman. Hard to believe that didn't carry over off-screen.

by Anonymousreply 14212/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 14312/25/2013

R142 Cheryl Crane (Lana's daughter) writes that Lana wasn't physically attracted to John Garfield but she did get along with him. They were friendly to each other during 'The Postman Always Rings Twice', she liked him but not in a sexual way.

As far as i remember(guys, correct me if i'm wrong) Lana didn't think that John Gavin was the best choice for Imitation Of Life. She wanted a man with a strongest presence, i think she thought that Gavin lacked that.

Below:Lana Turner and director Daniel Mann thrash it out on the set of Who´s Got the Action?

by Anonymousreply 14412/25/2013

Lana was as kookie as i was. It didn't show because she didn't get pills like i did.

by Anonymousreply 14512/25/2013

No kidding now, she was a star though.

by Anonymousreply 14612/25/2013

Lana was super pretty. I just watched "Green Dolphin Street" and was really taken by her. The highlight of the film was looking at this pretty doll/damsel in distress.She looked fresh-faced with that great smile, platinum hair and that angelic face. Her costumes also complimented her curvaceous figure wonderfully: tiny waist. In a bikini she looked like she was small-boned, because even though she was curvaceous, she was still slender. She was the opposite of Audrey Hepburn who was big-boned and skinny.

by Anonymousreply 14702/27/2014

Rooney may have been her "favorite leading man". But that doesn't mean he was her favorite person. I think that she outgrew him intellectually fairly quickly.

She was attracted to more sophisticated men like Joe Mankiewicz.

by Anonymousreply 14802/28/2014

Mickey had a athletic,hot little body in his day and what I would be willing to wager was a nice, short but thick cock.

by Anonymousreply 14902/28/2014

Judy got along well with anyone...Anyone that gave her drugs that is.

by Anonymousreply 15002/28/2014

"Judy paid for my yacht!"

by Anonymousreply 15102/28/2014

It's well-known that Lana didn't want John Garfield as her leading man in POSTMAN; she thought he was too plain. They didn't get along. Although, from some photos it seems as though the initial tension cooled.

Garfield wasn't conventionally handsome, but he had a sex appeal few other Golden Age male stars had. Although... pear-shaped.

John Gavin should've been happy to work with a name like Lana.

by Anonymousreply 15202/28/2014

Lana was more into Peter Lawford and his type in the late 1940s.

by Anonymousreply 15302/28/2014

For all of her glamor and that onscreen image, Lana always struck me as an every-woman type. Just a girl made good.

by Anonymousreply 15403/01/2014

Lana was sexy. Period.

by Anonymousreply 15503/01/2014

According to a JOhn Garfield bio published back in 2003/2004, Garfield and Turner had a fling while making Postman. In later years, Turner always gave praise to Garfield for his acting talent.

by Anonymousreply 15603/01/2014

"Garfield was sex on a stick"

I don't get it. To me, Garfield was a short fugly punk. Absolutely no sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 15703/01/2014

It must've been tough for a pygmy like Judy to be at MGM with so many beauties.

No wonder she turned to pills and booze.

by Anonymousreply 15803/03/2014

I always thought John Garfield was pretty damn cute...a lot cuter than some of the losers Lana dated and even married.

by Anonymousreply 15903/03/2014

[quote]In the early 50's they were next door neighbors and often spent afternoons together while Liza and Cheryl played.

Is it true that Judes tried to coax Cheryl into stabbing Sid Luft, too?

by Anonymousreply 16003/03/2014

Lanaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Lana come back. Lanaaaaaaa! Sexy Lanaaaaaaaaa!

by Anonymousreply 16103/04/2014

Lana would frequently take a dump in Judy's dressing room when Judy displeased her. It was like Bea Arthur and Betty White forty years before the fact.

by Anonymousreply 16203/04/2014

R164, dunno...i don't care actually. Lana was a femme fatale and i don't mind that she was slutty or even catty... She could really turn somebody on.

by Anonymousreply 16303/04/2014

"It must've been tough for a pygmy like Judy to be at MGM with so many beauties."

Yet... Judy is the one we remember.

by Anonymousreply 16403/04/2014

*R163, dunno...

by Anonymousreply 16503/04/2014

Despite Lana's popularity, she did not inspire many mothers to name their daughters after her (contrast that with the mega-popular 'Debbie' in the '50s), the reason being that Lana was known as a 'bad girl' (i.e. slut).

by Anonymousreply 16603/04/2014

R165, speak for yourself. Lana is as memorable as Judy.

by Anonymousreply 16703/04/2014

#168, only because she stabbed her horse-cocked lover back in the '50's. Ask anyone to name 3 Lana Turner movies.

by Anonymousreply 16803/04/2014

by Anonymousreply 16903/04/2014

"That is why she worked hard to be presented as "glamorous" in films like Presenting Lily Mars"

But she sent up the idea of glamour at the very same time. I don't think her heart was really in it.

by Anonymousreply 17003/04/2014

Mickey Rooney was a cute guy when he was young, IMHO. I would have fucked him.

by Anonymousreply 17103/04/2014

Of course Judy isn't "the only one we remember".

by Anonymousreply 17203/05/2014

I like Lana a lot too. She was such a peach and i love cats as well...

by Anonymousreply 17303/05/2014

Excerpts from the book 'Get Happy: The Life of Judy Garland written by Gerald Clark

'Who would you like to look like?' a friend asked Judy. Judy's reply was instantaneous:'Lana Turner. That is beauty.' Lana had everything Judy longed for:looks, glamour, sex appeal and the ability to land any man she wanted, including the only man Judy wanted. Blond buccaneer that she was, Turner liked them still more if she knew somebody else had her eye on them, and she may have gone after Artie Shaw because Judy had told her of her infatuation:she was to make a mischievous habit of stealing Judy's heartthrobs. 'Every boyfriend i get, Lana comes and takes him away from me,' complained Judy. 'I have a date with a guy, i mention him to Lana, and the first thing i know, she's moved right in.'

Most other women would have reacted with hurt and anger to Turner's gleeful plundering. Judy's response was more revealing. She was always hurt and angry of course. But after the initial shock and despair, she also sounded resigned, as if, deep down she expected a sexy goddess like Turner to get the better of a mere mortal, particularly one as plain as Judy believed herself to be. Judy was convinced that she was fat, homely and unattractive to men.

by Anonymousreply 17403/20/2014

This one was revealing as well... (excerpt from the same book)

Artie Shaw's friendship with Judy was, in fact, more enduring than any of his marriages. Putting on a smiling front, Judy visited the newlyweds a few times, prompting Shaw to inquire why she did not come around more often. Her answer, made without any apparent malice, was as lethal, yet as accurate, as any of Oscar Levant's cracks. 'Lana's nice,' she said, 'but talking to her is like talking to a beautiful vase.'

by Anonymousreply 17503/20/2014

Judy Garland and Marilyn Monroe...i found this link too and i decided to post it as well!

There have been several threads regarding Judy's connection to Marilyn Monroe.

From what I have heard Judy met Marilyn at a party in the early 50's, Marilyn was still a starlet at the time and apparently Marilyn asked Judy if she would be okay to stay with her for the evening because she was "scared". Judy has been reported to have replied "Honey we're all scared!"

Judy was an informal singing coach to Marilyn in her preparation for Some Like It Hot in late 1958, there is a photograph of the two of them together attending some form of event from this time but I can't remember where I have seen this.

It always struck me as odd that Marilyn was not at the ASIB premier but I believe this was the time Marilyn had escaped to New York to work at the Actors Studio.

Judy was devastated by Marilyn's early death in August 1962, saying something along the lines of "she asked me for help, I mean of all the people she asked me!"

by Anonymousreply 17603/20/2014

I have read Judy was a tremendous caretaker of others. With all her own problems she could probably sense right away when someone else was messed up. She supposedly care-took Bob Walker while they filmed "The Clock."

by Anonymousreply 17703/20/2014

R178, yes, i have read too that Judy tried to be a positive influence on troubled Robert Walker during the filming of 'The Clock'. However, i don't think that Judy could have helped him later, in the last decades of her life. Anyway, that doesn't really matter, because Bob Walker died first in 1951. When they were making 'The Clock' in 1945, Judy was only 23. She still had the energy to be helpful to others and the drugs and pills hadn't destroyed her yet.

by Anonymousreply 17803/20/2014

I love in those old TV interviews Judy is always saying Lana was always outside smoking when they were in the studio lot classroom.

Judy was probably too hopped up on diet pills to get up from her desk.

by Anonymousreply 17903/20/2014

My God. She was hideous.

by Anonymousreply 18003/20/2014

R181, what do you mean by 'she was hideous'? Who and why did you say that?

by Anonymousreply 18103/20/2014

Judy, R181.

by Anonymousreply 18203/20/2014

"Judy was probably too hopped up on diet pills to get up from her desk."

If you're hopped up, that means you can't keep still. Why would pills that keep you hopped up make you unable to get up out of a desk?

Do you always talk out of your ass that way?

by Anonymousreply 18303/20/2014

Esther Williams once related that at some point her dressing rooms was next to Lanas. Esther ruefully noted that everything in her dressing room was covered in waterproof plastic or lucite. One day when Lana was out, Esther had a peep into her neighbors dressing room "There was nothing but this...giant BED."

by Anonymousreply 18403/20/2014

Interesting that Fernando Lamas, who Esther later married, spent long breaks with Lana in her big-bedded dressing room during "The Merry Widow" shoot. I heard stories that Lana could barely walk after the hard fucks Lamas gave her at lunch.

by Anonymousreply 18503/20/2014

Mitzi Gaynor was in Lana's dressing room after Lana left MGM for LES GIRLS.

by Anonymousreply 18603/21/2014

Were there any gowns in Lana's dressing room?

by Anonymousreply 18703/21/2014

So, was Judy's father gay? That explains maybe why she married men who were gay as well.

by Anonymousreply 18803/21/2014

R181, you are a fool.

by Anonymousreply 18903/22/2014

I once read Plain Judy's looks described as "gauche". I think that works.

by Anonymousreply 19003/22/2014

I recall an appearance by Lana on the Mike Douglas Show circa 1975, where she was openly rude to co-host George Carlin, turning her back to him and ignoring him when he asked a question during her interview with Mike, except to give Carlin a look of disgust.

by Anonymousreply 19103/22/2014

Well, I can only imagine what George Carlin must have said to Lana to provoke her. She was very savvy about her public image and was always gracious to interviewers.

by Anonymousreply 19203/22/2014

Cheryl Crane(Lana Turner's daughter) wrote that 'Forever' by Mildred Cram was the favourite book of her mother. Supposedly the story reminded her Tyrone Power and it made her dream about it. She later hoped that she will star with Power in an adaptation of that book but it never happened.

What i didn't know and i found out recently is that Mildred Cram was Tyrone Power's favorite author. Supposedly Power introduced Garland to Cram's novella Forever, which Garland could eventually "quote word for word".

So i guess, they both Judy and Lana loved Cram's 'Forever' because of Tyrone. How original of them! Lolz...!

by Anonymousreply 19304/22/2014

R193, Tyrone Power was like a woman. I guess Judy and Lana fell for his feminine side like two classy lesbians in the closet would fall.

by Anonymousreply 19404/23/2014

by Anonymousreply 19504/23/2014

R195 Or maybe they fell for his drop dead gorgeous looks?

by Anonymousreply 19604/23/2014

Lana gets a new hair-do.

Is that Sydney Guilaroff?

by Anonymousreply 19704/23/2014

R197 Tyrone Power was never Marlon Brando or Errol Flynn. He just had a pair of expressive eyes...if you call that beauty, ok...whatever!

R198, i don't know baby, sorry...

by Anonymousreply 19804/23/2014

He was the gayest. It can't get more gay than Power.

by Anonymousreply 19904/23/2014

who cares if he was 'gayest' or 'bi-est'. Most readers here are gay or bisexual. Why do we always need to hear shit like that. Like it's a slam. He was a gorgeous guy who turned alot of heads, male and female in his day.

by Anonymousreply 20004/23/2014

R191 Ok, so looks wise Judy wasn't a Lana or Hedy but the girl was beautiful in her own right. Something about those big brown doe eyes. She's always broken my heart.

by Anonymousreply 20104/23/2014

he's a hottie in "Black Swan."

by Anonymousreply 20204/23/2014

there were times when Judy was very pretty.

by Anonymousreply 20304/23/2014

That was c. 1942 - 43. I think that's when she was her MGM height of beauty - before Dottie Ponedel gave her a harder, stylized makeover for MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS.

by Anonymousreply 20404/23/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!