Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I LOVE The New Normal!

Fuck the haters and the hater thread.

I think it's charming and has potential. Andrew Rannells is adorable.

And it's nice to have a show centered on a gay couple.

by Anonymousreply 7111/03/2013

I liked it too! I think the pilot was a typical pilot-crammed with every one liner and a little chopped up to introduce all of the characters. The second episode was much better. I love Andrew Rannells. He has the widest array of facial expressions that I find hilarious. I also thought the child was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 109/15/2012

I came in with very low expectations, and a hatred for Andrew Rannells.

But I enjoyed the first two episodes. I think it's promising, and I find myself like Andrew much more than I ever thought possible.

by Anonymousreply 209/15/2012

Ellen Barkin cracked me up.

by Anonymousreply 309/15/2012

Are you talking about Nene's new show?

by Anonymousreply 409/15/2012

That 9 year old doing Little Edie? Cracked my shit up. And she was GOOD at it.

by Anonymousreply 509/15/2012

Agree with [R9]. Little Edie impression was the best thing so far on new season TV. I want to marry the guy who thought that up. You know it has to be a gay.

by Anonymousreply 609/15/2012

[quote] I want to marry the guy who thought that up. You know it has to be a gay.

It was probably Ryan Murphy since it's his show.

by Anonymousreply 709/15/2012

Looks like another old man found a new TV show! Good for you old fella!

by Anonymousreply 809/15/2012

Hesh ep, ya young whippersnapper. Who moved my gosh darn Fixodent?

by Anonymousreply 909/15/2012

I like it too.

by Anonymousreply 1009/16/2012

It has potential. They need to roll back some of the stupidness and sterotypes.

by Anonymousreply 1109/16/2012

Is that the show Nene Leekes from RHOA is on?

by Anonymousreply 1209/16/2012

I do too. I was prepared to think that this was going to be the worst, most offensive show ever made. I thought it was hilarious. I'm hard to please too. Ellen Barkin is a gem. I watched the first two eps On-Demand.

by Anonymousreply 1309/16/2012

Are Ellen Barkin and Cameron D related?

by Anonymousreply 1409/16/2012

How is Nene? good or bad? or worse-average?

by Anonymousreply 1509/16/2012

Nene is actually very funny....they would need to have her do more than deliver zingers to see if she can actually act, but for what she is being required to do, she is quite good

by Anonymousreply 1609/16/2012

I just watched the first two episodes and think it's great. At least as funny as W&G, and it's smarter. Elen Barkin is a rip-off of the bigoted real estate agent on AHS, but that's ok, that character isn't coming back for AHS season 2 anyway. Nene Leekes is very funny, so is the Little Eddie obsessed daughter. Both of the guys are attractive and likable, it'll probably attract the same slash-fiction, straight female audience W&G and Brokeback Mountain had. This is the first sitcom that centers on a gay relationship, it's ground-breaking.

by Anonymousreply 1709/16/2012

I was literally laughing out loud at the end of this weeks episode... funny.

by Anonymousreply 1810/10/2012

It's SO much better than PARTNERS. I dislike the 2 leads in that show and have no interest in Sophia Bush's character. Brandon Routh is the only thing I like. TNN has a great cast with good writing.

by Anonymousreply 1910/11/2012

Anyone notice that the couple is just an older version of Kurt and Blaine?

The Grandma--Sue Sylvester

The surrogate --- Ms. Pilsbury.

by Anonymousreply 2010/11/2012

[quote]Looks like another old man found a new TV show! Good for you old fella!

I'm sorry, but I don't know who you think you are kidding. The eldergays around here love to tear apart anything new, especially if it's a sitcom without a laugh track.

by Anonymousreply 2110/11/2012

Nee Nee's dramatic reading was quite funny...and Justin Bartha is cute.

by Anonymousreply 2210/11/2012

The Ellen Barkin character is quite possibly the most odious character ever put on television. She is not funny-she is toxic and they just sit there and let her spew her bile. Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 2310/11/2012

PARTNERS is far better. Great cast, great chemistry.

Don't hate on it.

by Anonymousreply 2410/11/2012

They need to kill off Nene.

And they need to make it less topical or it will have the freshness of Murphy Brown in syndication (if that even becomes an option).

It is better than Partners, but so is She's the Sheriff.

by Anonymousreply 2510/11/2012

I hope the two leads do drag for their Halloween episode.

by Anonymousreply 2610/11/2012

It's awful. But, I congratulate Ryan Murphy's success and am glad to see out gay actors on mainstream TV - so good for them.

by Anonymousreply 2710/11/2012

I like it. They're the only same-sex couple on TV right now that actually act like a couple.

by Anonymousreply 2910/11/2012

Am I the only one who thinks they talk way too damn fast on this show? I have a difficult time keeping up because everything comes at you a mile a minute, it's way too fast paced. I guess that's what happens when they only have 22 minutes of airtime to work with each week.

by Anonymousreply 3010/11/2012

R24, they're two entirely different shows.

Partners is a dumbed-down sitcom.

I don't know that The New Normal is necessarily smart, but it's aspiring to be something far different from Partners.

by Anonymousreply 3110/11/2012

I REALLY wanted to like this one but it's too ooey-gooey, sit-com sentimental for me. Noble gays and all that shit. The little girl is a terrific little actress though.

by Anonymousreply 3210/11/2012

Well, then you're an IDIOT!!

by Anonymousreply 3310/12/2012

The pretend wedding was just stupid and SO GAY. Lamb sliders, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 3410/13/2012

I really enjoyed the episode. Some people don't realize that some little girls actually have had a version of this (pretend wedding) in real life.

by Anonymousreply 3510/13/2012

The old thread ("Got through 9 minutes") is maxed out, so rather than start a new one, I'm just resuscitating this one. The last two episodes of the season (and likely of the series) were on last night. Did anyone watch? They kind of wrapped things up (baby born, couple married, Goldie decides to stay single.) I have to admit that overall I enjoyed the show once I realized it wasn't supposed to be a gag-a-minute laugh-out-loud kind of show. But I can see why it never really caught on. I hope at least that more people watched the finale with "The Voice" lead-in.

by Anonymousreply 3604/03/2013

"Beautiful boy" just got me. Loved the episode.

by Anonymousreply 3704/03/2013

I cried through the entire second episode. Best TV wedding ever in Ocean Park.

I loved "Beautiful Boy," too. I had a best friend named Sean.

by Anonymousreply 3804/03/2013

Did they ship of the Ellen Barkin character? There has to be an explanation why she wouldn't be coming back....if they somehow managed a Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 3904/03/2013

No mention of her going or staying, but she figured prominently in the wedding episode.

by Anonymousreply 4004/03/2013

I think the show is done. It had a great ending though.

by Anonymousreply 4104/03/2013

I loved the last episodes, although it was a shame they had to rush to wrap up all the storylines. Yes, the birth scene was derivative of Quinn's delivery on Glee, but for me it was no less effective. The earlier Boy Scouts episode was a heartbreaker as well.

The show is almost definitely a goner, so for some DLers their long national nightmare is over. But I'm glad to see there's at least a few fans of the show here to commiserate with.

by Anonymousreply 4204/03/2013

I loved the finale. I didn't like Justin Bartha until this show. Isn't he dating an Olsen twin?

If it comes back, I hope they dump Goldie, Shania, and Ellen Barkin.

by Anonymousreply 4304/03/2013

I hope NBC renews this show.

by Anonymousreply 4404/03/2013

I love Goldie's hot boyfriend. I wish he were on more often. Is he on the final episodes as I haven't seen them?

by Anonymousreply 4504/03/2013

Cringe-inducing sweety-face Botoxed treacly gay propaganda.

I laughed a few times; glad I only wasted an hour or two on this season.

And I'm usually a sucker for light gay comedies.

by Anonymousreply 4604/03/2013

I don't remember Goldie having a boyfriend (unless you count John Stamos.) Do you mean Rocky's brother? Or are you referring to her ex-husband?

by Anonymousreply 4704/03/2013

Clay (Jayson Blair) - the father of the little girl.

by Anonymousreply 4804/03/2013

Clay - Shania's father - is also her ex-husband, who cheated on her.

by Anonymousreply 4904/03/2013

I'd really love to know what the hell happened behind the scenes. I find it impossible to believe that Ellen Barkin's multi-episode absence just happened to coincide with reports of her diva behavior and supposed firing from the show.

by Anonymousreply 5004/03/2013

Yes, in a dumb way but I continue to fantasize about giving him hand jobs.

by Anonymousreply 5104/03/2013

I wouldn't be able to stop at just my hands, r51. Hands down (no pun intended) the hottest cast member.

by Anonymousreply 5204/03/2013

it is nice to have a show centered on a gay couple, and if people are enjoying it, I'm glad they have it. That said, I personally can't stand it.

by Anonymousreply 5304/03/2013

R51 R52 I do like Jayson Blair. I'd like to fuck him and Justin Bartha equally. Hell, let's make it a four-way.

by Anonymousreply 5404/03/2013

Jason Blair is just so gorgeous! I kept staring at him and thinking naughty thoughts!!!

by Anonymousreply 5504/03/2013

Interestingly, more people watched the first episode of the 2-part finale last night than watched the second.

But it was still a huge drop-off from the number that watch The Voice as lead-in.

Overall though the viewership numbers aren't significantly lower than what NBC is getting for all of the Thursday night comedies. But I suppose they are all in the same boat - each season we wonder if any of them will be renewed.

by Anonymousreply 5604/03/2013

I really liked the Boy Scouts story last week.

by Anonymousreply 5704/04/2013

[quote]I really liked the Boy Scouts story last week.

Me, too. And I was surprised that they actually used the Boy Scouts as opposed to some fictitious similar organization like most shows do. (Sunshine Girls, anyone?) I wonder what the legalities are with respect to using the actual organziation's name? (And uniforms, for that matter.)

by Anonymousreply 5804/04/2013

The Boy Scout episode was my favorite of the entire season, but last night's hour-long finale was very moving as well. I was glad to see them wrap everything up in case they don't come back.

Nice to see that the show does okay with a decent lead-in. NBC essentially set it up to fail by sticking it in the 9:30 slot behind Betty White's show and Go On.

by Anonymousreply 5904/04/2013

I watch the show, but isn't it obvious that America isn't ready to support a show CENTERED on a proudly gay couple?

by Anonymousreply 6004/05/2013

I think America would watch a show centered on a gay couple that wasn't TOTALLY annoying.

by Anonymousreply 6104/05/2013

Just watched the Boy Scouts episide and the wedding. I staarted off being annoyed and cringing at the beginning of the series but have come to really enjoy and appreciate it.

The Scout episode was very moving and realistic. I could see where scouting meant something to the doctor, and how the good things it taught him have stayed with him.

And I was moved by the whole wedding episode, birth scene included. It was great to see Mary Kay Place and Jackie Hoffman again, and it tied up so beautifully.

If this was a 22-episode mini-series I would be very satisfied.

by Anonymousreply 6204/09/2013

About the Boy Scout episode: I wonder why the father who reported Brian to the Boy Scout authorities was so threatened by Brian's closeness to his son. Does the father believe that Brian could influence his son to be gay...or does he already think his son is gay and hopes to "cure" it by getting rid of any gay influences? I found it very touching that Brian had a picture of the little boy at his bedside. They were really close.

by Anonymousreply 6304/11/2013

It won a GLAAD award as did DL fave and cult teen hit The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Justin Bartha talks about his gay brother.

by Anonymousreply 6404/21/2013

I don't like it.

by Anonymousreply 6504/21/2013

The New Normal was among a bunch of announcements about renewal/cancellation today.

The final verdict - CANCELLED.

by Anonymousreply 6705/10/2013

Good.

Fuck this show and fuck Ryan Murphy. I hope his new baby grows up to write a scathing tell-all.

by Anonymousreply 6805/10/2013

So 30 Rock and The Office (both of which never delivered big ratings to begin with) are ending, and they're canceling The New Normal along with a slew of other sitcoms. What does NBC have left besides Parks & Rec and Community?

I've been a pretty devoted follower of a lot of NBC sitcoms the past few years, and I give them credit for developing some of the smartest comedies on TV (not that I include The New Normal in those ranks). But at this point, maybe they'd be better off just selling out time to infomercials in between airings of The Voice.

by Anonymousreply 6905/10/2013

It's a bloodbath!!

Tons of shows cancelled today!

Damn!!

I liked this show. Go On was cancelled as well.

by Anonymousreply 7005/10/2013

I wrote a more glowing review earlier in this thread, but that's before I'd seen the entire series. I had downloaded all the episodes, but didn't watch them until a month ago. I can see why it was cancelled, it wasn't homophobia, it wasn't funny enough, usually, and it was too preachy. All they needed to do is present a gay couple having a baby, and that alone would've been a strong enough pro-gay message. But instead it was like nearly every episode was a "very special episode."

I appreciate Ryan Murphy's desire to push gay rights, but it wasn't necessary to do it so heavy-handedly. They should've concentrated more on just making it funny. And where that's concerned, it was usually too cutesy to be all that funny. I do like maybe 7 of the episodes, and I saved them. The kid was often the funniest part of the episode, but her bits weren't enough to carry an entire bad episode.

But there's something I do love about it, I and I'm sure a lot of people hated what I liked about it. Bryan (rhymes with Ryan) was obviously Ryan Murphy, producer of "Sing", and he was the femme/wife in the relationship. I don't know much about Ryan Murphy, but apparently he must be pretty femme. The other guy (who is ridiculously gorgeous, something else in the series' favor) is the football loving husband. I know, so un-PC, but I love Ryan's willingness to put that out there. It must be what his marriage is like.

And that's the kind of relationship that appeals to me, a want a husband who is more butch than me. I want to be the femme/wife. So I'll continue to watch my fav episodes to see that fantasy played out.

Surprised by the lack of hostility with most of these posts, DL is usually very critical of gay oriented shows. I'm also surprised there wasn't a lot of complaining about the male/female structure of the relationship, not even any, at least in this thread, the other maxed out at 600.

And yes I know... MARY!!

I feel I'm in good company with Ryan though.

by Anonymousreply 7111/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.