Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Standing Ovations for Best Supporting Actress Winners!!!

The Academy must stand for Sally....it is so racist that they only stood for Monique and Octavia Spencer!!! White people need respect too!!!

by Anonymousreply 5903/29/2014

Who is Sally? Besides, even the nominations are months away.

by Anonymousreply 109/15/2012

Sally Field!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 209/15/2012

OP, would you consider yourself: way nelly, somewhat nelly or just a simple Mary?

by Anonymousreply 409/15/2012

I consider myself to be a deranged lunatic.

by Anonymousreply 509/15/2012

posted before but a lot of fun

by Anonymousreply 609/15/2012

Nobody will be standing for Sally, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 709/15/2012

r7 Helen who?

by Anonymousreply 809/15/2012

Isabelle Huppert is going to pull a Tilda Swinton.

Sally won't even be nominated. The film isn't good enough.

The idea of Helen Hunt possessing two Oscars is too much for everyone, so she will lose.

Hathaway will be nominated, but won't win because of over-saturation.

Vanessa Redgrave and Amy Adams will be the fourth and fifth nominees.

Adams will not win, because PSH wins for supporting and Phoenix for lead.

by Anonymousreply 909/15/2012

I do agree agree that it was racist, but only because it was patronizing to black people. It reeked of liberal white guilt.

by Anonymousreply 1009/15/2012

Isabelle who? Please. You also think Streep is getting a nomination for that turd she pushed out last month.

The nominees will be:

SALLY FIELD in Lincoln

BARBRA STREISAND in The Guilt Trip (although they might push her for Best Actress)

AMY ADAMS in The Master

ANNE HATHAWAY in Les Miserables

MAGGIE SMITH in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Possible spoilers will be JACKI WEAVER in Silver Linings Playbook and FRANCES MCDORMAND in Promised Land

If Amy Adams is nominated for a fourth time, she will most likely win. The overdue factor.

by Anonymousreply 1109/15/2012

R6 - that video gives me an eye twitch.

by Anonymousreply 1209/15/2012

[quote]Hathaway will be nominated, but won't win because of over-saturation.

Sorry the statue has already been engraved with her name. Previous nominee, two beloved characters in two huge hits in one year and it's a supporting role. The Perfect Storm.

by Anonymousreply 1309/15/2012

Octavia, nah, but Monique deserved that standing O.

by Anonymousreply 1409/15/2012

r13, you don't even know if Les Miserables will be a hit. Also, AH still has the stench of her disastrous Oscar hosting job lingering about her.

r11: the fact you don't know who Isabelle Huppert is, plus your silly idea that Barbra Streisand's acting is Oscar worthy, completely disqualify you in this discussion.

Finally, I never said Meryl would get a nomination for HS. I said it was one of the five best performances so far - but that's not the same thing.

She won't be nominated because of Iron Lady and Osage County sandwiching this performance. Tommy Lee Jone's nomination (which is really her work) will be her reward this year.

by Anonymousreply 1509/15/2012

[quote] you don't even know if Les Miserables will be a hit. Also, AH still has the stench of her disastrous Oscar hosting job lingering about her.

Honey, Hathaway came way scot free from the hosting gig, in fact she is credited with saving it, and "Les Miserables" is the most popular musical in the world. More beloved that Phantom, which is admired for the spectacle. Tom Hopper will have to fall really low for it to not make at least $100 million.

by Anonymousreply 1609/15/2012

Speculation, r16. Phantom underperformed as well, so we'll have to see.

And she made an ass of herself at the Oscars - yes, James Franco was worse, but she was unbearable as well.

So much so that Emma Stone parodied her overeager act at this year's Oscars, *on stage*, for crying out loud.

AH will not win an Oscar any time soon.

by Anonymousreply 1709/15/2012

R15 Isabelle Huppert is not even listed on the academy awards prediction sites. Not as a surefire nominee, not as a possible nominee, not even as a dark horse surprise. Yet you think she's going to win the award.

The idea of Streisand getting an oscar nomination is not "silly". Seth Rogen is big among the current generation. If the movie is a hit and her peformance is as good as they say (which word of mouth is already good) an oscar nomination would not be a surprise.

And Tommy Lee Jones will not be getting an oscar nomination either. If the movie was that good, it would not have been dumped in August.

by Anonymousreply 1809/15/2012

r18, most of Meryl's movies open in August.

The days when August was reserved for bad films only are over.

Secondly, Amour will be pushed, and Huppert will get a nom. Considering her reputation as the foremost doyenne of world cinema, she stands the same chance Tilda Swinton stood when she won hers.

Finally, TLJ (and Meryl, of course) received great reviews for HS, and he might well get nominated.

by Anonymousreply 1909/15/2012

The Streep troll is a mass of contradictions:

1.) It clearly stated that Meryl was going to get a nomination in the other oscar thread.

2.) It states in this thread that the days of August being reserved for bad films are over, but was saying the complete opposite in another thread.

Do you just love to read what you post? Frankly you don't make any sense.

by Anonymousreply 2009/15/2012

Unless "Amour" is nominated for a slew of Oscars including Best Picture, there's no chance Isabelle Huppert will pull a Tilda Swinton.

Swinton won in part because of her reputation, but what sealed the deal was that "Michael Clayton" earned seven nominations, and Swinton was the easy way to recognize the film, which had next to no chance in any of its other categories.

And unlike Huppert, Swinton had worked steadily in America in the decade prior to her win. Huppert's only Hollywood film was "I Heart Huckabee's." It's easier to win an Oscar when you have friends like Clooney in the Academy.

Isabelle Huppert is a great actress, but the idea that she's going to win an Oscar for a supporting role in "Amour" is downright laughable.

by Anonymousreply 2109/15/2012

Wrong. I retracted my original prediction, and have said repeatedly that she will NOT get nominated, due to her winning this year plus Osage County dominating the next cycle.

I do make sense, and I do enjoy smacking up Meryl-bashers like you. You'd better read the entire Oscar thread, and not just page one, before making erroneous statements.

Your fact checking is as laughable as your faith in Streisand as a serious actress.

Next!

by Anonymousreply 2209/15/2012

r21, Amour will get several nominations, certainly for director, screenplay and actress, possibly for actor and film, so Huppert has a good chance of getting in as well.

She is WAY more respected than even Tilda Swinton, who's a relative newcomer compared to Huppert. Every actor worth their salt knows who Deneuve/Adjani/Huppert are.

It's completely irrelevant in how many English-speaking films she's been.

There was already much love for The White Ribbon -- there will be be even more love for Amour, which is Haneke's most accessible film to date.

Mark my words. I was right about Meryl this year, and I will be right again about Amour/Rive/Huppert.

Mark.my.words you silly, parochial fools!

by Anonymousreply 2309/15/2012

^^ Riva, of course, not Rive.

by Anonymousreply 2409/15/2012

If there were that much love for "The White Ribbon," why did it lose Best Foreign Language film when it was considered the frontrunner?

And do you really believe that Huppert's lack of Hollywood ties is irrelevant? Seriously? If you believe that Huppert will win because of her reputation, don't you think it would help if Academy members were more familiar with her work?

Streep Troll, I think you confuse the type of people who vote on the Oscars with the type of people who vote on the Cannes jury or for the Village Voice film poll.

The Academy is made up of people who last year nominated "War Horse" and "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" for Best Picture. This is evidence enough that the Academy's tastes tend toward the execrable and they prefer to support their own (Spielberg, Rudin). These are not people who like films such as "The Piano Teacher."

by Anonymousreply 2509/15/2012

Can some one please off the Streep Trool put its body through a wood hipper, and flush the remains down the toilet? It needs to go back to the sewer where it belongs.

by Anonymousreply 2609/15/2012

Streep Troll has already admitted it only posts to annoy people. Nothing it says is of any worth.

by Anonymousreply 2709/15/2012

What does the (tm) in Streep troll mean?

by Anonymousreply 2809/15/2012

Where is the troll who always boasted how they had predicted the Best Actress category correctly for the last 15 years or so at least 9 months in advance? (until M beat Viola!!!)

by Anonymousreply 2909/15/2012

The Meryl loon is off its meds again. He hasn't even seen Amour. None of the reviews single out Huppert for her performance. The two leads in that movie (Riva much moreso) are the ones that are getting the attention.

[quote]Vanessa Redgrave and Amy Adams will be the fourth and fifth nominees.

Redgrave isn't getting shit. "Song For Marion" is getting tepid/shitty reviews.

[quote]Adams will not win, because PSH wins for supporting and Phoenix for lead.

I've seen The Master Meryl loon, PSH is every bit of a lead as Phoenix is. Again, you have no clue what you are talking about.

[quote]The days when August was reserved for bad films only are over.

Another reason not to take the Meryl loon seriously. Linked are the films released in August. The majority of them were bombs and garbage.

[quote]Finally, I never said Meryl would get a nomination for HS. I said it was one of the five best performances so far - but that's not the same thing.

Yes you did Meryl loon. Poor thing can't even keep up with its own bullshit.

[quote]you don't even know if Les Miserables will be a hit. Also, AH still has the stench of her disastrous Oscar hosting job lingering about her.

Yet you already are speculating that August Osage County will give Meryl Streep another Oscar and it hasn't even started shooting yet. That's rich, Meryl loon.

by Anonymousreply 3009/15/2012

[quote]I've seen The Master Meryl loon, PSH is every bit of a lead as Phoenix is. Again, you have no clue what you are talking about.

he may be right on that one though...I've read on other sites that they will market Hoffman as supporting.

by Anonymousreply 3109/15/2012

I am anal warts.

by Anonymousreply 3209/15/2012

The Streep Loon also swears Anne Hathaway will be a shoo-in because she "bathed in the greatness of Streep" or some such bullshit, then turns around and cuts her down.

It's not annoying, it's insane.

And it is declaiming about the quality of LINCOLN when it has no clue whether or not the movie is any good.

by Anonymousreply 3309/15/2012

r33: kindly check out the "Lincoln trailer thread" here on DL - and get ready for a surprise. Almost everyone is slagging the film off, based on the mawkish trailer.

The awards threads are all about speculation. Anti-Meryl loon's idea that you can only comment on a film if you've seen it is ludicrous. DL is about speculation and gossip; it's not supposed to be an academic seminar.

Yes, I can predict Osage County will be successful, simply because Meryl is playing that kind of role, in that kind of film, with that kind of supporting cast. It's not difficult to speculate, connect the dots, and come up trumps.

I did just that with the Iron Lady, while anti-Meryl loon insisted precious Viola Davis would win. It was obvious she wouldn't, so why weren't more people predicting a Streep win as confidently as me?

If anyone has the right track record to go on speculating, it is me, darlings.

Finally, I never said AH should win an Oscar. I've said that between her and the girl from Dawsons's Creek, I will gladly take AH, because she's worked with Streep, and is the better actress. Whether she's Oscar worthy is a whole different question though.

Do keep up.

by Anonymousreply 3409/16/2012

Is the Meryl loon on SSDI for its mental illness? Anti-Meryl loon? Sorry there is none, but you have been branded the Meryl loon, a unhinged, unemployed psycho who spends most of its day here.

[quote]I did just that with the Iron Lady, while anti-Meryl loon insisted precious Viola Davis would win. It was obvious she wouldn't, so why weren't more people predicting a Streep win as confidently as me?

We remember your racist comments about Viola Davis Meryl loon. Most of us also know that The Iron Lady was a piece of shit as a film despite Streep's performance.

[quote]Yes, I can predict Osage County will be successful, simply because Meryl is playing that kind of role, in that kind of film, with that kind of supporting cast. It's not difficult to speculate, connect the dots, and come up trumps.

That kind of role? Oh Meryl loon the list of movies those kinds of roles in those kinds of films that were supposed to be Oscar bait but bombed is very long.

[quote]The awards threads are all about speculation. Anti-Meryl loon's idea that you can only comment on a film if you've seen it is ludicrous. DL is about speculation and gossip; it's not supposed to be an academic seminar.

No one said you couldn't speculate psycho, but people can (and have) call you out on your asinine opinions and conspiracy theories. Meryl loon doesn't like facts.

by Anonymousreply 3509/16/2012

r35, you've handed your ass handed to you at this year's Oscars.

You're still bitter - and it shows.

Lighten up.

by Anonymousreply 3609/16/2012

Oh, and r35?

"Meryl loon doesn't like facts" - but it sure likes its supporters, whose testimonials you can find in this very read.

Where are your supporters, bitter old man?

by Anonymousreply 3709/16/2012

The Streep Troll feels threatened that Sally Fields may win her third Oscar, tying her with Meryl Streep. That's why he came in this thread to quickly dismiss the prediction that Fields may be nominated, and even win, the Best Supporting Actress Oscar. Having a peer the following year tie La Streep with three Oscars will put an asterisk beside Streep's name in the history books that she's not the grand dame of Hollywood after all.

The Streep Troll is well aware how the industry and the public adores the legendary Sally Fields, thus, he shudders over the idea of Fields tying Streep.

by Anonymousreply 3809/16/2012

Nice try, r38.

But if Sally Field is "legendary", how come she only has three Oscar nominations under her belt? So is Julia Roberts a legendary actress as well?

Where are her noms for Steel Magnolias, Not Without My Daughter or Murphy's Romance? Hollywood has passed her over more times than they've acknowledged her.

The same cannot be said of Streep, can it now?

The only thing "legendary" about Field is her acceptance speech in 1985 - a legendary joke, that is.

by Anonymousreply 3909/16/2012

My anal warts appear to be bleeding. Is that a bad thing?

by Anonymousreply 4009/16/2012

Let's warm up our standing O for Margo Martindale who will surely bring home a little gold man for her work in August Osage County. I guess that will be Oscars 2014, so we have a bit of time to work on it.

by Anonymousreply 4109/16/2012

[quote]None of the reviews single out Huppert for her performance. The two leads in that movie (Riva much moreso) are the ones that are getting the attention.... Redgrave isn't getting shit. "Song For Marion" is getting tepid/shitty reviews.

You must be a critic or at least think you are. Critics don't nominate Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 4209/16/2012

[quote]What does the (tm) in Streep troll mean?

Too Much

by Anonymousreply 4309/16/2012

[quote]Yes, I can predict Osage County will be successful, simply because Meryl is playing that kind of role, in that kind of film, with that kind of supporting cast.

The same could have been said about "The Manchurian Candidate" and "Before and After" and those didn't turn out so well.

The fact that "The Iron Lady" is only well-regarded for Streep's performance is because the writing and directing was perfunctory. With John Wells directing "Osage County," it's a crapshoot how it will turn out. As "The Iron Lady" proved, a brilliant performance by Streep can't make up for other flaws in a film. A brilliant performance by Streep when everything else is on the same page (like Prada) is a different matter.

by Anonymousreply 4409/16/2012

r44: I hate to break it to you, but we're not discussing the quality of Meryl's films here. I love the people who keep yammering her films aren't great, implying we must take Meryl down a notch as well.

This thread is about ACTING, and about acting nominations ONLY.

r41: I like your speculative spirit, and I'm totally with you. Martindale and Streep for the WIN! We all know it's going to happen, anyway.

r42: you are correct about the anti-Meryl psycho, aka the Michelle Williams troll. He thinks he is a critic, in his deluded little mind. Needless to say, he usually gets zero feedback on his pearls of wisdom.

Has anyone replied with "Yes, you're right - Huppert and Redgrave have no chance"? No, they haven't.

As usual, people just ignore him.

I wonder why?

by Anonymousreply 4509/16/2012

Uh - there are a lot of us here who hare you, Streep Loon. Your mistake is in thinking there is an anti-Streep Troll. There isn't - but in your sick little mind, ANY comment that smacks of negativity toward Streep in "anti-Streep."

And of course, you completely ignore the fact that YOU'RE the one who turned this into a Streep thread. Of course, you ignore anything you can't actually answer.

Like the fact that just posting because you like to annoy people indicates you're a little bit ill mentally. That running Hathaway down on one thread and saying she "bathed in Meryl's greatness" or whatever your overwrought expression was, isn't loony. That - and you DID do this - implying the only reason Viola Davis might win (last spring) was because she was black.

You're all over this thread (and the other one) constantly, spouting the same tired old routine. Why have you picked Streep? WHY do you just like to annoy people? Frankly, I think you're desperate for attention and so you try to rile people up, because then they won't ignore you. But from now on, we shall.

by Anonymousreply 4609/17/2012

r46, I only like to annoy the Streep bashers, of whom there are many on DL. This place has been rife with primitive bashing ever since Doubt came out, and it was time someone kicked back.

I'm happy to talk to the many non-bashers in a normal way, and you know what? I've got a good deal of supporters on this board. So why should I stop?

So I turned this into a Streep thread? Good! See -- I'm perfectly able to 'address' your 'issues'.

I shall carry on, and you shan't be able to ignore me, because, quite simply, it isn't in your nature, darling.

Re Hathaway: I've explained my nuanced stance towards her at r34. Naturally, this went over your head.

No surprise there.

by Anonymousreply 4709/17/2012

I thought the Streep troll promised to leave months ago.

by Anonymousreply 4809/17/2012

Every single word of r47 's post indicates a life devoid of any purpose or happiness.

by Anonymousreply 4909/17/2012

Only temporarily, r48.

by Anonymousreply 5009/17/2012

Wrong, r49.

I'm happy whenever Meryl comes out with a film!

*Kisses*

by Anonymousreply 5109/17/2012

R6- Have you seen his Best Actress in a Musical Tony clips? Hilarious. He goes from 1950 (Mary Martin) to last year (Sutton Foster).

by Anonymousreply 5209/17/2012

See THE MASTER in 70MM!!!! That's the only way to see it.

by Anonymousreply 5309/17/2012

They stood for Monique because it was an awesome performance--even though she's a diva, and difficult to deal with, she tore the hell out of that role.

They stood for Octavia because THEY loved that performance and she knows most of the people in that room. She's been around a long time, and they love watching one of their own succed.

BTW, they stood for Christopher Plummer that year as well as Meryl.

Give me a break.

by Anonymousreply 5409/20/2012

I've researched this back into the 80s....they only stood for those two....not even Dame Judi Dench.

by Anonymousreply 5509/20/2012

Are people confusing Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress here? Or am I the confused one to expect the thread title to match the thread content?

by Anonymousreply 5609/20/2012

r54: bull.shit.

They would've had every reason to give Melissa Leo a standing ovation, who's a far bigger success story than Spencer. Or Marcia Gay Harden, or Jennifer Connelly, or Olympia Dukakis, or Linda Hunt, or even Kim Basinger who wasn't considered a serious actress before that.

All of those were 'one of their own succeeding', and none of them got a standing ovation.

You're willfully ignoring that Spencer got a standing ovation for white guilt, and white guilt only.

Her performance wasn't much, and it's quite embarrassing she won.

Monique = worthy winner.

O. Spencer = joke winner.

You know it, I know it, we all know it.

by Anonymousreply 5709/20/2012

We only stand due to white guilt.

by Anonymousreply 5802/25/2013

Why did Lupita Nyong'o get a standing ovation?

by Anonymousreply 5903/29/2014
Need more help? Click Here.